Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CaptCommy posted:

It also gets you access to the Dev server, so any campaigns there go away if you stop subscribing (but you can just use the regular server as usual, if you think you might cancel in the near future).
Are those removed or simply inaccessible? Same question for assets - is your work undone if you exceed your storage by unsubscribing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gradenko_2000 posted:

RolePlaying Public Radio did an actual play of it where they reskinned it into an 80s action movie, but you should get a good feel for how the system plays.

Definitely recommending this as a good idea of how Slasher Flick runs, partially because I'll recommend anything with a Battlefield Mall shoutout.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that session was more 80s action movie than Kung Fury itself

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy Gary Gygax Day, everyone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Boy, he really did not get what he wanted.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Evil Mastermind posted:

That quote seriously sort of hurts, knowing what his legacy is. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I personally don't blame him for the insanity of his fans; if anything the edition warriors and One True Way-ists are making GBS threads on his legacy.

I mean, I found a web site where they had this whole thing about how to honor Gary and part of it was a toast of "gently caress Loraine Williams". People need to let that the gently caress go, because let's be frank: TSR would have collapsed with or without her.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, I'm not going to say everything the guy touched is gold by any means, but I think he's pretty fondly remembered and his legacy is pretty drat intact. He did what he loved, shared it with others and ultimately contributed to the growth of a hobby that I and thousands of others deeply enjoy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

People need to let that the gently caress go, because let's be frank: TSR would have collapsed with or without her.
It would have collapsed 15 years earlier than it did if she hadn't stepped in and taken control.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gygax biggest legacy is the fallacious and stupid term "Gygaxian Naturalism"... RIP him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I got my $15 copy of Eoris Essence. And this thing is bugfuck insane. Beautiful, but also :catstare:. Super happy with the purchase, though I feel bad for the author since this is such a labor of love.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I suddenly found myself tempted to write a GorkaMorka conversion for Atomic Highway. Only problem (besides :effort:) is Ork games never last long because no one can keep up talking like an Ork, and if youz not gonna talk like an Ork, wutz da point?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A few more here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want this to be a book series and the next big thing on Netflix.

e: not just this, it does need some embellishing

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I want this to be a book series and the next big thing on Netflix.

e: not just this, it does need some embellishing
I would watch every single episode of Noir Lord of the Rings.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
This is one of those things where the creator thinks something is bad only it's actually amazing, isn't it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is one of those things where the creator thinks something is bad only it's actually amazing, isn't it.
I think it's more of a Darkplace situation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
quote="dwarf74" post="448240398"]
So I got my $15 copy of Eoris Essence. And this thing is bugfuck insane. Beautiful, but also :catstare:. Super happy with the purchase, though I feel bad for the author since this is such a labor of love.
[/quote]

How is it bugfuck insane, exaclty?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

dwarf74 posted:

Meet the Eoris character sheet.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty neat on the ethereal plane.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That is beautiful.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Well the author implies that the game is a tool for spiritual enlightenment (and possibly... real?) right off the bat, for one.

It's also got a lot of rules and even more :words:. Weird words. It's like a 90's game. An early nineties game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Well the author implies that the game is a tool for spiritual enlightenment (and possibly... real?) right off the bat, for one.

It's also got a lot of rules and even more :words:. Weird words. It's like a 90's game. An early nineties game.

Like, does it come off as a character or his actual thoughts?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Meet the Eoris character sheet.

...Well then.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think that sheet's pretty interesting, TBQH. Like there's way too much poo poo on it but none of it really looks confusing and it's kinda nice looking.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kale!

That aside it is a pretty sheet.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Every separate section of that sheet could be an entire sheet for a game.

There's an aquatic movement entry, and separate skills for fauna and flora. I love this game already.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I want to play that game just to say I did. I mean, it looks absolutely maddening but what if the rules really come together and run smoothly and create this perfect gaming experience that opens your eyes and mind to new vistas of thought and he was right all along!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's like if Grant Morrison made a RPG

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

It's like if Grant Morrison made a RPG

Aaaand bought.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Like, does it come off as a character or his actual thoughts?

...Well then.
Definitely the latter.

On p. 11 there's a "Roleplaying in Eoris" section.

quote:

Eoris was not merely created as a role-playing game, or as a setting for a fantastical land, or as literature, or even as art. It was conceived as another way to understand the universe we live in.This conception, although not completely bound by rationality and experimentation, seems real to its creator. The purpose of this conception is to awaken our inner universe and to open peoples' hearts to the beauty of their own ideals and concepts of reality. Some people base their ideas on science, others on religion, and others on emotions, yet all of these paths are equally valuable. All ideas and perspectives should be valued for diversity is a part of the universe's true reality; the eradication of an idea is, after all, the extinction of a point of view. Eoris Essence is one of the many theories of our existence; it is a vision of essence shared by its creator and expressed through you as you experience it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Aaaand bought.
If you collect RPGs at all, this is totally worth $15.

I am not entirely sure it's playable, but it's at least more comprehensible than Immortal: The Invisible War, and I paid more for that back in the early 90's

Covok
May 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Definitely the latter.

On p. 11 there's a "Roleplaying in Eoris" section.

If you collect RPGs at all, this is totally worth $15.

I am not entirely sure it's playable, but it's at least more comprehensible than Immortal: The Invisible War, and I paid more for that back in the early 90's

This person sounds coo-coo.

Also, I got Feng Sui 2. Only skimmed it. Am I right in thinking these archetypes are like playbooks from PbtA?

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 29, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Also, I got Feng Sui 2. Only skimmed it. Am I right in thinking these archetypes are like playbooks from PbtA?

Pretty much. The whole idea is that you pick an action-movie stereotype, choose a melodramatic hook, and start playing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much. The whole idea is that you pick an action-movie stereotype, choose a melodramatic hook, and start playing.

Cool. I really like that. Pick up and play chargen is best chargen in my book. Wanted to be sure because I remember people being mad that full chargen wasn't in the book or something like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The original game had sort-of chargen, where you still had the archetypes but you had to assign points and there were more skills and you picked all your shticks; it was a huge pain in the rear end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Cool. I really like that. Pick up and play chargen is best chargen in my book. Wanted to be sure because I remember people being mad that full chargen wasn't in the book or something like that.
Yeah, it works out really great in practice. Customization happens down-stream. As it stands, you have like 39 choices, so it's not like you're starved for options.

I wish my package was already here. :( Playing again tomorrow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I won't be able to get a copy until general release in September. :(

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, it works out really great in practice. Customization happens down-stream. As it stands, you have like 39 choices, so it's not like you're starved for options.

And if you do want to make a custom archetype, I more-or-less reverse engineered a point buy system from the existing archetypes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The original game had sort-of chargen, where you still had the archetypes but you had to assign points and there were more skills and you picked all your shticks; it was a huge pain in the rear end.

And if people want, there isn't much stopping them from asking their GM "Hey, can I take Schtick X instead of Schtick Y?" or "Hey, can I have this gun instead of that gun?" if they really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
While I love the pickup and play aspect of it, it's a bit odd that by default, every Maverick Cop carries Dirty Harry's gun.

• Locked thread