Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I enjoy the muted quality to the colors. It looks unreal. Which is good for a dude who's warping real hard.

I eat up even the most minor of compliments. Going to go to work on Thunderfire Cannon soon I think, about to get back from my trip, ready to paint some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath Complete!

Photograph of the elf makes it look messier than it is. I'm trying out a muted pallete inspired by Bachtere's awesome work.

counterspin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 29, 2015

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE!

Jurnal
Canadian flag represented on the big present!

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Germ posted:

Godsdamnit, Krushgroove, I'm sorry for making this month a bookkeeping nightmare, but I'm going to go one more OATH ADDITION. I promise that when I'm done I'll make one cohesive oath completed post with all my stuff gathered in one place.

I'm going to paint these 6 ruined columns and one stone arch, made by me for 28mm models.

Please feel free to keep adding oaths throughout the month! If you want to make my life easier then just please submit them all together at the end in one final Oath complete like you did instead of piecemeal so I don't have to redo it each time :shepicide: Everything looks sweet!

lovestick fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 29, 2015

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oaf complete! No time for heraldry so the shields are bare for now. Otherwise, I'm pleased with my wedding cake toppers.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 29, 2015

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Hello Oath thread, it's time for a :frogsiren:Privateer Press Contest Update:frogsiren:

I've gone through the June photo album, and with a little spreadsheet reference, come up with a list of names of those qualified for the drawing. If you don't see your name in this list, and you successfully completed an oath on a Privateer Press model in June, you have until Noon Pacific Time Monday August 3rd to post in this thread or PM me to get added to it before I run my randomizer to see who's won that sweet, sweet 10th anniversary box.

Signal
Electrichobo
Gareth Gobulcoque
Weirdo
Zark the Damned
Counterspin
Ledgem
Pash
Black_Nexus
Lord Aba
Dr. Gargunza
NTRabbit
moths
Fyrbrand
nopantsjack
SKI
Exinos
head58
Seamoose
Harkano
Gumdrop Larry

Thanks for participating, everyone, and sorry this has taken a while.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have a question/request for clarification about August's challenge:

quote:

theme challenge: paint actual flames, smoke or something similar on your model

I assume that either flames sculpted as part of the model, or freehanded flame imagery, would count?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete

This month I did Aetherium Flag and July's challenge on the ork, and Spring cleaning.

Electric Hobo posted:

Spring cleaning!
Before:

After:

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 29, 2015

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
:hb:Oath complete!:hb:

The formed-up shot:

The behind shot:

Two milling about shots (trying to figure out the best way to photograph things):

Closeup on the Technical challenge banner skelle:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Germ posted:

I also painted a little tiny 15mm Captain America to use as a leader for my Flames of War army (I mostly play US Armored Infantry). The idea of Cpt. Rogers leading my tiny mans to war against the Red Skull fills me with glee. Hopefully it’ll piss off some purist grognards in the process. The set he came in was by Old Glory, and also contained Thundarr the Barbarian and friends. I’ll have less justification working them into a WWII army, but assaulting Nazis and Russians with Ookla is a justification in and of itself.

Wargames as she is meant to be played :3:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

thespaceinvader posted:

Wargames as she is meant to be played :3:

Well, if this were the historicals thread, I'd say that's not his ww2 era costume. That's a Captain America from the late 60s, Korea or the 6-day war, and obviously the basing is ALL WRONG FOR THOSE ENVIRONMENTS.

But yeah, maybe your ridiculous fictional wargames.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Just a thought, but is there any chance of bringing this achievement back from last year? Or a reason why it was dropped?

Double the fun!
Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model. One Jurnal and one Bonus is fine too! Be sure to tell us which Jurnals or Bonuses you have completed when you post your Oath Complete picture.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
I, Lord Thrust, oath this 28mm GW Chaos Cultist for July 2015.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

Claiming the Theme Challenge and Aetherium Flag for the American Flag!

Signal fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 30, 2015

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Time for a last minute oath :siren: I Black_Nexus oath one reptile hound(Privateer press) :siren:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Aw Yeah, Oath Complete!

And here's my Monthly Challenge, a Legion Vexila banner! A bit unorthodox, but I won't lose sleep if it's too far away from the intent.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow, put this off way too long.

Oathing a set of Mantic terrain with a scratch built banner, and a single converted Xenos Inquisitor:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE One Reptile Hound(Privateer Press):siren:

No journal, I kind of forgot about this month and oathed way too late.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren: Oath Complete!

Walls:

Germans:

Champion of Slaanesh:

Craters:

The Chaos champion is this month's July Flag challenge, which also qualifies me for the Aetherium Flag drawing!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

All Oaths Complete!

Unfortunately, I didn't realise I hadn't tidied up the water effects completely on the base of the Trapper when I took this photo

First up, three Rail Workers:

And another angle to show the content of the posters on the bases, which includes the M&SU flag, Ram skull (The Guild) = Sheep, Foundry flag, and a ram skull (The Guild) with a human skull.

The tattoos on a couple of the Rail Workers; random dragon:

And the symbol of the Foundry:

The Jurnal and Aetherium Flag are fulfilled by the discarded posters on their bases, which depict the symbols from the Malifaux flags of the "Miners & Steamfitters Union" and "The Foundry", as well as the Guild symbol, the rams skull.

Backstory

The papers were wrong. It wasn't a riot. At least, not at first.
Dozens of rail workers and mechanics had gathered outside the workshop, a near-silent crowd, as a proud voice filled the air. Mei Feng stood on a makeshift platform of barrels and planks, eyes blazing as she spoke.
"The Guild are strong. With this strength, they claim to protect us. They claim that their might gives them the right to the spoils of our labor, the right to demand that production increase beyond reason, and the right to do nothing when our people are dying in their unsafe mines and factories."
One side of the crowd stirred; a Guild patrol was approaching.
Perhaps, everything would have been fine; perhaps, the patrol would have felt the mood, counted the number of mining tools and crushingly strong steam-powered limbs in the square, and prudently decided to pass them by, selectively ignoring the posters proclaiming the Guild to be nothing but Sheep.
Until somebody threw a stone.

Next, four Freikorps - A Trapper, Von Schill, a Librarian, and a Freikorpsmann.

And a slightly better look at the symbols on the base of the Librarian - the four major suits of Malifaux; Rams, Crows, Tomes, and Masks.

Finally, Angelica, Mistress of Ceremonies!

I'm quite pleased by how her face and makeup turned out, along with the flesh tones visible through her stockings and gloves.

So that's Jurnal, Aetherium Flag, and Backstory.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 31, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Wow, put this off way too long.

Oathing a set of Mantic terrain with a scratch built banner, and a single converted Xenos Inquisitor:

Black_Nexus posted:

Time for a last minute oath :siren: I Black_Nexus oath one reptile hound(Privateer press) :siren:

Lord Thrust posted:

I, Lord Thrust, oath this 28mm GW Chaos Cultist for July 2015.

Oaths Accepted! Don't cut it too close!

Ugleb posted:

Just a thought, but is there any chance of bringing this achievement back from last year? Or a reason why it was dropped?

Double the fun!
Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model. One Jurnal and one Bonus is fine too! Be sure to tell us which Jurnals or Bonuses you have completed when you post your Oath Complete picture.

IIRC this was tied into how the Challenges work this time around - there's 2 Challenges each month, one themed and one technical, but it could have just been a culling of the Achievements that weren't taken advantage that much, to make room for new stuff. No one else has asked about it or the other missing Achievements, which says that dropping them wasn't a terrible idea, really. I'm always happy to hear feedback, though!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath complete!

Personally, I think I'm starting to improve a little. Still a long way to go before I'm happy though!

The dynamic duo, including Batman's muscles and Robin's 'a month late for the yellow challenge' cape lining:

And their capes, quite pleased with these.

Ras and the League of Shadows. Or Assassins maybe. As there are loads of black outfits in Batman I went with Ras from the start of Batman Begins plus a red scarf because why not. Faces are hard though, need to learn how to do better eyes and hair. Suit turned out ok, and I avoided the temptation to just leave the ninjas in black primer!

And the back shot. Again, I think my shading is getting better and I'm happy with how the suit came out here.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oath failed

These things are just a mess and I can't motivate myself to clean them up and finish them. I've been having too much fun with other models.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

drgnvale posted:

Oath failed

These things are just a mess and I can't motivate myself to clean them up and finish them. I've been having too much fun with other models.

I aspire to your failure.

ski
Oct 29, 2011

I know I am.
:siren:OATH COMPLETE!

ski posted:

I, Ski, for the month of July, hereby oath one Storm Troll from Privateer Press.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ugleb posted:

I aspire to your failure.

Seriously, you can call the 'oath complete but not to my standards' and get away with it easy.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Claiming jurnal for the flag, obviously.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously, you can call the 'oath complete but not to my standards' and get away with it easy.

I've done that plenty of times, and almost did it this time. I don't care about points this season at all though, so oath complete/not complete only affects how good I feel about what I've done.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You've at least got a standard which might count for the flag drawing. Perfect is your enemy of good.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete

I've painted too many orcs this season and I'm starting to lose interest in them. Need to paint something else next month.

Claiming Journal for the banner.

Also, finished my last batch of Relic minis

This season has been really good for me so far, I've finally painted all the Relic minis I have and I've freehanded more banners during this season ever before, I've actually gone back and redid some of my old banners.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

OATH COMPLETE!

Finished up the WW2 German infantry (a mortar crew, spotter, and LMG team, all by Black Tree Designs) that I'd oathed. The bases still need to be done, but otherwise the figures are painted and sealed/varnished, so I'm calling 'em done.

First, the original Oath pic:

And now, the finished results:

Not sure what to claim (if anything :v:), just glad I got them done on time. :)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Okay, changing my vote. Oath complete enough

drgnvale posted:

Oath failed

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Oath complete.

Here's a couple of nice pirate ladies, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

And a group shot of the unit with Morland from last month.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
The varnish is still a bit shiny, but whatever. :siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Steamborg Executioner, friend to (robot) children.

Had to "cheat" a little on the flag; the front of the cloth is a custom transfer I knocked together in Photoshop. (The back is my own atrocious handwriting. Which is also visible in the frickin' awful touchup work I had to do on a few places on the front of the banner, don't look, it's horrible)

I'm obviously doing the flag journal for this month, in hopes of getting into the Aetherium drawing! Because obviously I need more miniatures to paint. (looks forlornly across room at Sterilite containers full of Bonesium)

Also for this month, a bit of Backstory:

"I remember what it was like before. What I was like...before. Work the mines, find some 'stones, take home a bit of change. Good work, regular pay. That's what the Guild promises you.
"Anyone here remember them promising you anything else?
"...Yeah, that's 'cos they don't. Found that out the hard way. A couple hundred tonnes of rock crushed my legs and hands, made me worthless in the mines. The Guild's promises were just as worthless as my body. They tossed me out like trash. Never mind that it was their safety measures failed to work--I was no more use to them, so out I went.
"The next few months...I don't remember those too well. Drank all my savings, threw the empties at my wife. I don't even recall when she packed up the kids and left. ...Not that I blame her; she made the right choice. I'd stopped being a man, stopped being--human.
"But then I got a second chance. Didn't deserve it. But Viktor Ramos saw something in me worth saving, worth improving. By the time he finished his work with me, I was better than I could ever hope to be.
"That's what Ramos and I want for you. All of you. We want to help you improve yourselves--because you deserve it. You deserve better than the Guild's greedy hands in your pockets. You deserve a share of the soulstones you dig out of the ground, not just meager cash for risking life and limb to get them for someone else. You deserve to be more than a cog in the Guild's machine. You deserve a chance to belong with a group that cares about you, that will fight for you.
"You deserve to join the Union.
"The Miners & Steamfitters Union is here for you. The Guild have tried to cut us down, drive us away, even burn out the Local 616 office. But we've stopped them, every time. And we'll stop them from taking advantage of you, with that same ferociousness. When you join the Union, we take care of you. If you get hurt in the mines, we take care of your bills and your families.
"And if anyone, Guild or not, tries to put the squeeze on you, cut your hours or your wages, threaten your loved ones, crack your skulls, or give you any guff, just for talking to us--well, we'll take care of them, too."

(Full album is here.)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I WhiteOutMouse Oath 1 GW Maulerfiend and 3 custom objectives. GW, 28mm on 120 oval base, objectives GW bits on 40mm (poker chips).

I WhiteOutMouse add one more objective marker to my Oath. GW fantasy line bits, 28mm scale, two 40mm poker chips for base.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
Oath Complete! Claiming July Jurnal for the flag.

This is still good for July right? It's 1:11 a.m. Aug 1 locally, but earlier in Samoa. This is my first one under the wire!

Lord Thrust fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 1, 2015

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Don't worry, you're good!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

OATH COMMPLETE

Really lovely time of day to take photos and I can't get the light right, but I'm heading out, so no choice

Bjarn Starnafall

Sgt. Howlett, claiming Box art, http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/mercenaries/product/enforcer-sergeant-howlett.html

Chief Radgrad

Aqissiaq

The Survivor

Nem Rath

Boomer

Chovar Psychic

Eddak P'Meara

It's like some kind of Deadzone Suicide Squad

Claiming the challlenge with this hard to paint, and harder to photograph Australian flag on the shoulder of the Survivor

Do I get entry into the special comp for my Suicide Squad sent by Australia? :buddy:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

M&SU represent! :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oath Complete!

*inspired by some awesome goon marble with the papa smurfs that have been painted recently. I did a faster crappier version but I was happy to experiment and I learned a bit.
It's supposed to be some special relic armor for Khorne, I had extra front-plates so I threw on extra arms and a cape to hide the lack of a back. It kinda looks like a dude standing but I tried to make it more obvious with the red cape showing through the bottom.

Challenge/Theme
I painted the flag of the 8th Legion. It happens to be on a standard which is impaled into a long dead warrior. Fitting I think. Reference:

• Locked thread