Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RareAcumen posted:

Doesn't seem too far fetched for me. I can list the Beast fight from KH2, the Blob from Wolverine Origins, Cutter from Uncharted 3, and Adelle from Tactics Advanced 2 off the top of my head.

Why was Nick so freaked out when Diego threw that rock at him? Do museums in the DR universe actually attach tons of stone to wires up in the air now?

Well the world in general has apparently depopulated all the major food fish and has ignored climate change completely so I guess it isn't totally out of line....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

RareAcumen posted:

Why was Nick so freaked out when Diego threw that rock at him? Do museums in the DR universe actually attach tons of stone to wires up in the air now?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
That Amero-Canadian conflict was pretty hilarious and a nice reference entirely.

I actually wonder now, since we're getting into the world lore of Dead Rising, what exactly happened to the rest of the world? Did zombie outbreaks happen anywhere outside of America, or is it only the United States that got really infected? I mean I assume that the world trade stock market took a super hard hit and decimated world economy sorta since the USA turned unstable. Very fascinating worldbuilding stuff there, really expands how hosed the world is with a nice balance between dark comedy and outright grim perspectives of the world.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I'm pretty sure the Tablets reference was more of the Ancient clay variety and not the mobile devices kind.
Or I broke my humor radar again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

FinalGamer posted:

That Amero-Canadian conflict was pretty hilarious and a nice reference entirely.

I actually wonder now, since we're getting into the world lore of Dead Rising, what exactly happened to the rest of the world? Did zombie outbreaks happen anywhere outside of America, or is it only the United States that got really infected? I mean I assume that the world trade stock market took a super hard hit and decimated world economy sorta since the USA turned unstable. Very fascinating worldbuilding stuff there, really expands how hosed the world is with a nice balance between dark comedy and outright grim perspectives of the world.

Carlito's plan was to infect the US but we've not really heard about the rest of the world and since its Zombie media, I'm going to assume that infected people traveled to other countries and outbreaks happened there.

Or the American Government was really, really good at containment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

NuminaXLT posted:

I'm pretty sure the Tablets reference was more of the Ancient clay variety and not the mobile devices kind.
Or I broke my humor radar again.

It's definitely about mobile devices. Shenzhen is where a lot of that sort of thing gets made.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Judge Tesla posted:

Seeing Carlito again though, even as a museum display was neat though, he wasn't evil as such as he was screwed over by the US Government pretty terribly, but his acts of revenge kinda doomed America to Zombie outbreaks.
The numbers-on-the-necks project was straightforward evil.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Judge Tesla posted:

Seeing Carlito again though, even as a museum display was neat though, he wasn't evil as such as he was screwed over by the US Government pretty terribly, but his acts of revenge kinda doomed America to Zombie outbreaks.

I'm pretty sure "I was wronged, so instead of trying to expose or stop it I will plot to kill hundreds of millions of people and plant bioweapons everywhere." qualifies for evil.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure "I was wronged, so instead of trying to expose or stop it I will plot to kill hundreds of millions of people and plant bioweapons everywhere." qualifies for evil.

well, he was wronged by the people that made the zombie wasps. So he's kind of exposing the existence of the evil shadowy government poo poo by releasing their own zombie wasps on their soil. Still kind of evil, but as bad as i feel you painted him. It's also too bad the truth of it got swept under the rug despite Franks best efforts to expose both parts of the story.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jade Star posted:

well, he was wronged by the people that made the zombie wasps. So he's kind of exposing the existence of the evil shadowy government poo poo by releasing their own zombie wasps on their soil. Still kind of evil, but as bad as i feel you painted him. It's also too bad the truth of it got swept under the rug despite Franks best efforts to expose both parts of the story.

He used a bunch of orphaned children as suicide bombs.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Garrand posted:

oh yeah... right... that's pretty snidely whiplash.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I think that poster at the beginning was Zombies: Fact and fiction, which makes a lot more sense. Gives visitors an idea of what's from fiction, and what's with the actual zombies next door.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The fact is that orphan suicide zombies still isn't the most cartoonishly evil thing this game has in store. And it isn't the most actually villainous thing either.

I'm pretty sure the Dead-Rising universe is one where you only inherit a moral compass if your first name ends with a K.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Carlito's actions make a little more "sense" if he blamed all Americans for what the US government did to his village.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

Carlito's actions make a little more "sense" if he blamed all Americans for what the US government did to his village.

He's pretty explicit that that's the case, it's just when you use orphans from your country as suicide weapons to avenge the death of children from your country, there's a certain 'Well that went to crazytown' quality to the proceedings.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Yeah, carlito had valid reasons for his hatred of the US government. they did gently caress over his entire town. But maybe giving the USA a decade plus of Zombie outbreaks is a bit much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which is basically where Isabella was and why she was originally relatively willing to meet with Frank, since a journalist could get the story out.

They just, you know, only had Frank to work with, and he was Frank.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, carlito had valid reasons for his hatred of the US government. they did gently caress over his entire town. But maybe giving the USA a decade plus of Zombie outbreaks is a bit much.

He did take out Doctor Barnaby who was the chief Scientist of the whole Zombie Wasp thing, or more accurately Barnaby got infected by one of his own Wasps and turned. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

He's pretty explicit that that's the case, it's just when you use orphans from your country as suicide weapons to avenge the death of children from your country, there's a certain 'Well that went to crazytown' quality to the proceedings.

Oh yeah definitely. Weren't they like, trying to make cheaper beef or something in the original experiments?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

Oh yeah definitely. Weren't they like, trying to make cheaper beef or something in the original experiments?

Yeah, I never really got how 'zombie parasite wasp' correlated to 'delicious beefs.'

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

paragon1 posted:

According to Barnaby and Carlito, they were trying to make Cows larger and fatter for more meat for those hungry hungry Americans but they hosed up somehow and created the Zombie Wasps, or rather, I think the wasps always existed but they enhanced them somehow.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think starting after bigger cows and ending in zombies is probably loving just about as hard as it is possible to gently caress up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
IIRC the wasps were part of an experiment with the goal of increasing beef output. Not to make cows fatter but to make more of them and to do that cheaply, IE mass production of Cows.

They still totally messed up with the Zombie thing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Jade Star posted:

As well as essentially starting the downfall of western society and quite possibly world civilisation because how the gently caress were you going to control that to one small town?

Answer: you weren't. Cool motive, still murder.

paragon1 posted:

I think starting after bigger cows and ending in zombies is probably loving just about as hard as it is possible to gently caress up.
The greatest discoveries in science are never followed by "Eureka!", but rather "that shouldn't happen".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

paragon1 posted:

So here's the short version from the wiki-

wiki posted:

The Ampulex Compressa Giganteus originated from the region bordering the Pachacamac River near the Central American town of Santa Cabeza. ... Dr. Russell Barnaby, aimed to find a way to accelerate reproduction of the local cattle population for rapidly increasing American consumer demand. During their research, they discovered the species' presence... The team also witnessed first-hand the insect's birth process and it's dependency upon host species to live...Dr. Barnaby and his research team were going to harness the species and use its abnormal but useful properties to accelerate the production of meat.

So to recap,
1. Americans are horrible consumers and domestic cattle farms are just simply not doing the job, so 'let's get cheaper meat from Central America' - said no one ever
2. Even Central America, well known for its cattle production, can't keep up with America's demands
3. Let's see if we can do some science in God's blind spot, with all the unethical behavior that entails
4. Hey! Look at this weird bug! It infects animals, and then those animals eat until they die. Is that useful in any way for increasing beef production? No? That would actually result in more strained resources for the cattle? Huh.
5. gently caress it. We're scientists. Do it anyway.
6. One of those bugs escaped and, infected Johnson. But he didn't just get hungry for food, he hungers for human flesh. And everyone he bites turns into a zombie too. Well, I guess it's OK, as long as he just eats the inhabitants of this small village where the only local with a college degree has been helping us this whole time. Hope he's OK with that.
7. Oh, guess he wasn't OK with it. And he left in a huff. And took some wasps with him. Well, I'm sure he won't want revenge against the consumerist country that indirectly killed everyone he loved.
8. But who cares about that? We've got beef to exploit. Back to the drawing board. And grab a few jars of wasps along the way. Progress marches on.

I mean, the whole idea was bad from word one. They may as well have invested time in a growth ray that just made cows bigger right after the killed them. I mean, sure, that path just leads to a giant bovine invasion, but at least you could see that coming.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CzarChasm posted:

I mean, the whole idea was bad from word one. They may as well have invested time in a growth ray that just made cows bigger right after the killed them. I mean, sure, that path just leads to a giant bovine invasion, but at least you could see that coming.

Just hold onto this thought for now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To be fair, 'People making terrible decisions for bad reasons.' is pretty much the entire theme of Dead Rising's comedy.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I thought the whole idea was you would created cows that didn't die when you harvested meat from them, so you could keep one herd and continually chop steaks off of them to boost production and keep costs down.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The wasps are just because they're vaguely plausible; parasite wasps exist that do similar-ish stuff to the zombies, while also being a neat reference to the Africanized Bee.

The consumerist angle is there because every Romero style zombie thang has to have that one. It's not a bad angle. The fact that it's always made by consumer products is also amusing. The serious premise being under-cut by the absurd game-play just made for a better game honestly.

Garrand posted:

It's a mite poetic though, isn't it. To use those that the US has made bereft of a normal and good life into weapons to inflict the same harm unto them; all because they feel some residual guilt about what they did but not enough to actually change things.

Or they just thought "Evil man uses children! Is evil, yes".

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
After watching OatmealRaisins DR1 let's play, you get where Carlito is coming from. First, American scientists unleash zombies on his village. Then, instead of reparations, black ops military kill anyone who's still alive. In his death scene, he taunts Frank with how America is going to be ravaged by zombies who only "eat and eat and eat, growing in number just like you red, white and blue americans". The museum doesn't contradict the DR1 ending where Frank did get the truth about Santa Cabeza out, but not about Willamette. And then the world forgot the particulars about Willamette, like how the US government sent a kill squad to eliminate survivors THE END

Carlito is obviously not Justified (:v:) but you have to admit that it's a great bit of irony. DR1 is pretty heavy with the "Gluttony" theme, down to the epilogue. It's a little disappointing DR3 didn't have as clear a "sin" theme.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, yes. He has a clear and understandable reason why he's doing what he's doing. It's the whole thing where a decent villain makes sense for the first five minutes they're talking and then tells you about their suicide orphan plan.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Well, yes. He has a clear and understandable reason why he's doing what he's doing. It's the whole thing where a decent villain makes sense for the first five minutes they're talking and then tells you about their suicide orphan plan.

Then we have TK in Dead Rising 2 who's whole plan was to rob the Fortune City banks, I know he wasn't the true villain but he's the final boss of Overtime mode, where he goes into full on petty revenge mode.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Then we have TK in Dead Rising 2 who's whole plan was to rob the Fortune City banks, I know he wasn't the true villain but he's the final boss of Overtime mode, where he goes into full on petty revenge mode.
Also known as "the worst loving boss in the series that turned me into a screaming Xbox-Live shithead for ten minutes".

...I have regrets, but thank god Overtime was not canon, gently caress that guy so hard.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
TK honestly isn't so bad. A hot tip is to bring a bunch of special drinks and down them right before you start the cutscene. Doing the first half of the fight with quick step and invincibility really helps. Also, being max level obviously helps.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Video 30 - Brought To You By Carl's Jr [YouTube]

My update schedule has definitely slowed down. August is kind of a busy month so it may be like this for a while.

FinalGamer posted:

Also known as "the worst loving boss in the series that turned me into a screaming Xbox-Live shithead for ten minutes".

...I have regrets, but thank god Overtime was not canon, gently caress that guy so hard.

I was about to correct you about Overtime Mode being canon, before realizing that it's not. It's just hitting me now how weird it is that the ending with more gameplay and a special boss fight isn't the true ending.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
aren't there parts of overtime that are canon (frank getting bit, Isabella creating proto-zombrex) but canonically Frank actually got out on the helicopter?

Slingback78
Oct 17, 2008
Actually, there is one Carl Junior's in Canada; in Guelph, Ontario, of all places. Haven't been in, but it's there.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

aren't there parts of overtime that are canon (frank getting bit, Isabella creating proto-zombrex) but canonically Frank actually got out on the helicopter?

Yeah Overtime Mode in DR1 is is the true ending. In DR2 it's not.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Overtime mode in Dead Rising 1 is Canon, Overtime mode in Dead Rising 2 is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Oh, right, Dead Rising 2 exists and this isn't the sequel to OTR. How could I forget that?

• Locked thread