Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ehud posted:

I think the easy solution to wedge and control designs is to make the arena itself more dangerous. It would be cool to watch bots push each other into obstacles that actually did something.

"Oh man he's got him in the pulverizer!"

tink.......tink......tink......

This would just end up promoting wedge / control designs even more as then they'd be totally focused on grappling the opponent and shoving them into all the hazards though.

I'm still laughing over the three way rumble last night. Watching Nightmare wiggle and wobble around the arena and gently caress up Overhaul made that lovely last fight tolerable :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you don't allow the best design all you're ever going to get is people skirting the rules as much as possible to get as close as they can to that design.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

LeJackal posted:

How to Win at Battlebots

1. Build a robot with a wedge.
2. Spend all the money/time/weight you'd spend on weapons on armor, speed and power.
3. Add the tiniest flamethrower for 'active weapon requirements'.
4. Spend time saved from not having weapons to become gud driver.
5. Bore opponents to death.

So we're Robot Wars without the house robots.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bewbies posted:

these dweebs make football players and pro fighters look like well adjusted eloquent people

You are right. They should by more thankful of God

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rule for next seaso: 80% of your budget must be spent on powered weapons.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Bite Force was really well designed for a wedgebot, though, and was only forced into that configuration when up against spinners. Weren't they the one with the magnet tracks, too?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Biteforce looked to be really well built. Still a boring bot though. Bronco didn't seem to be moving properly in its Tombstone fight compared to some of its earlier matches.

All in all it was an entertaining season. Hopefully they do another one next year.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hey guys! Want to buy Plan X? Because you totally can. http://www.battlekits.com/battle_kits_order.htm

Turns out it was just a simple kit bot with some poo poo welded on top.

mashed_penguin posted:

Biteforce looked to be really well built. Still a boring bot though. Bronco didn't seem to be moving properly in its Tombstone fight compared to some of its earlier matches.

All in all it was an entertaining season. Hopefully they do another one next year.

The first hit apparently shoved the wheel guard into the front left wheel, preventing it from spinning.

Cryohazard posted:

Bite Force was really well designed for a wedgebot, though, and was only forced into that configuration when up against spinners. Weren't they the one with the magnet tracks, too?

They were, although they only provided around 70 pounds of force since there wasn't time to configure them.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
plan x was an embarrassment but entrants only had a few weeks to prepare, so there wasn't time to attach a stupid plastic ladybug to the front

i hope she's invited back next year so we can see some truly cutting edge retarded bullshit

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Radix posted:

plan x was an embarrassment but entrants only had a few weeks to prepare, so there wasn't time to attach a stupid plastic ladybug to the front

i hope she's invited back next year so we can see some truly cutting edge retarded bullshit

No time for a stupid plastic ladybug, but definitely enough time for a stupid loving brain that did absolutely loving nothing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kinkouin posted:

No time for a stupid plastic ladybug, but definitely enough time for a stupid loving brain that did absolutely loving nothing?

There was a battlebot from the original series that did the same thing, it's nice seeing things that aren't just bricks with rods get obliterated.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

If you don't allow the best design all you're ever going to get is people skirting the rules as much as possible to get as close as they can to that design.

and if they did it'd be a wedgebot shoving match every single time, do you not see how that's worse than the current meta?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

and if they did it'd be a wedgebot shoving match every single time, do you not see how that's worse than the current meta?

I think the big problem is the arena design. The smooth, flat surface means that there's no disadvantage to having minimal ground clearance. If the arena were slightly "lumpy", such as packed clay with low humps, you would need to have enough ground clearance to maneuver. Sloped armor would still help against spinners and you could still push other bots around (such as with a powered adjustable height plow/wedge), but it'd put an end to the simple wedgebot.

A different surface might also require better wheels, meaning that there would be a reason to use large, exposed tires instead of small, hard wheels concealed within the armor belt.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope the show is renewed and that Biohazard comes back because that bot was cool as hell.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I randomly caught the show a bit ago, I'd forgotten it was back. The bots are way cooler, for reasons people already mentioned, but there's far too much chatter. Shut up and let me watch robots murder each other!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I randomly caught the show a bit ago, I'd forgotten it was back. The bots are way cooler, for reasons people already mentioned, but there's far too much chatter. Shut up and let me watch robots murder each other!

The show was really polite about that, the extended RED TEAM READY robot voice bullshit right before actual content was really easy to see in the DVR's fastest skip setting.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I don't mind the bits of background info about the bots and their creators, or the parts showing the teams repairing and modifying their bots between matches, but the pre-match buildup between the teams wheeling their bots into the arena and the fight starting always seemed to go on way too long.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Then you do it other ways. You change the arena, you make height minimums or something, change the scoring system, I don't know.

Mandating a powered weapon isn't the solution. Biohazard had a powered weapon.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Put a raised platform in the middle with shallow ramps leading up to it and make them play king of the hill. Destroy the other bot or keep control of the hill to win.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

There was a battlebot from the original series that did the same thing, it's nice seeing things that aren't just bricks with rods get obliterated.

Sure, but the fact that they made such a big loving deal about the glowing brain was such a waste of time. :sigh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

There's only about 10 minutes of actual robot battle each episode so they have to fill the other 30-35 minutes with stuff. They could put in more fights, but they'd have to have had more bots to start. Also, They didn't show a set of four matches because they were terrible and/or push fests which is just an eventual byproduct of what's essentially a sport (i.e. boring matches). Those matches do go on the longest, but they're the least entertaining. Some of the best are the slaughters but they barely go past 1 minute.

Aphrodite posted:

Then you do it other ways. You change the arena, you make height minimums or something, change the scoring system, I don't know.

Mandating a powered weapon isn't the solution. Biohazard had a powered weapon.

Welcome to engineering! Wedge bots and kinetic spinners are the most efficient solutions based on the desired goals of getting the most points via aggression and pushing the opponent around and destroy the opponents, respectively. Depending on the scoring system or terrain or rules, a different design might make itself more apparent as the most effective solution. Mandating powered weapons just made it so that wedges and push bots were less present amongst the initial pool of bots.

There's no way to really prevent bad designs from showing up like Biohazard beyond having it perform and fail, however.

Great Beer posted:

Put a raised platform in the middle with shallow ramps leading up to it and make them play king of the hill. Destroy the other bot or keep control of the hill to win.

There was a show called Robotica back when all of the robot fighting shows were big and presented a different type of competition (which is why it only lasted 21 episodes). It was less robot combat and more an RC car performance and driving test. Bots would race, break down obstacles, navigate obstacle courses and culminate and a Robo-sumo match. It wasn't all that great, but there were different limitations on weapons iirc, so there was at least one bot that actually threw a net on its opponent and it was legal.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

keevo posted:

I hope the show is renewed and that Biohazard comes back because that bot was cool as hell.

I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMuvAIzjJmU

I never got why he has 4 separate flaps instead of one solid piece. Also the bot he's fighting here has a GREAT self righting mechanism.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I always figured the flaps were partly to prevent lift bots from getting a good purchase under it, and also against spinner/sawbots as ablative armor. A solid shell could transfer the momentum into the inside of the bot and jar something loose, but a strong enough hit would just rip the armor off and possibly slow down the blade enough to allow biohazard to get in and bully the spinner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also had to be flaps because it was so low to the ground a solid piece would probably get caught on things.

Xelkelvos posted:

There was a show called Robotica back when all of the robot fighting shows were big and presented a different type of competition (which is why it only lasted 21 episodes). It was less robot combat and more an RC car performance and driving test. Bots would race, break down obstacles, navigate obstacle courses and culminate and a Robo-sumo match. It wasn't all that great, but there were different limitations on weapons iirc, so there was at least one bot that actually threw a net on its opponent and it was legal.

High school robotics competitions do stuff like that.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

I agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMuvAIzjJmU

I never got why he has 4 separate flaps instead of one solid piece. Also the bot he's fighting here has a GREAT self righting mechanism.

Like Rorac said, theyre so other bots have a hard time getting a good grip. You can see how effective they are a few times in that fight. Vlads fork pops up and grabs nothing but the skirt. They do have the unfortunate side effect of making Biohazards arm unable to self right it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYajNQQZaaQ
Fight starts at 2:30

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Great Beer posted:

Like Rorac said, theyre so other bots have a hard time getting a good grip. You can see how effective they are a few times in that fight. Vlads fork pops up and grabs nothing but the skirt. They do have the unfortunate side effect of making Biohazards arm unable to self right it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYajNQQZaaQ
Fight starts at 2:30

How come Vlad has no trouble getting under Biohazard in this one? Did he lower his weapon?

Also I don't remember Y2K2 but it's horrifying.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Xelkelvos posted:

There's only about 10 minutes of actual robot battle each episode so they have to fill the other 30-35 minutes with stuff. They could put in more fights, but they'd have to have had more bots to start. Also, They didn't show a set of four matches because they were terrible and/or push fests which is just an eventual byproduct of what's essentially a sport (i.e. boring matches). Those matches do go on the longest, but they're the least entertaining. Some of the best are the slaughters but they barely go past 1 minute.

That's great but as a viewer I just don't give a poo poo. Make the episodes 30 minutes instead?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

How come Vlad has no trouble getting under Biohazard in this one? Did he lower his weapon?

No idea. Maybe he changed the angle of the skirts after this fight or maybe Vlad just got lucky a couple of times. Or hell, maybe the arena floor was lovely like it was this year. Either way, thats the only example of BioHazard getting flipped I could find so I guess it was a solved problem.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Amorphous Blob posted:

Vlad was able to get under Biohazard in all of the fights that the two were involved AFAIK in but it was pretty dicey each time, and mostly depended on whether a little bit of debris picked up the skirt enough for Vlad to slip under. Vlad managed to throw Biohazard into the wall and lift it high enough to beat it's wide shape and low center of gravity in that fight. He could've done the same in the other fight they had, but just didn't manage to pull it off. I'm willing to say they're pretty even in durability, maneuverability and damage dealing, so their fights really just boil down to driving skill. poo poo, even that is pretty even since both of them are veterans and champions at that. I think Vlad is a bit better off due to the self-righting ability, but Biohazard has the better weapon, but they're pretty even otherwise.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cryohazard posted:

Arguably Bite Force had one of the worst designs in the competition. Tank treads and even magnets that they used are relatively pointless and increase the likelihood that you would be immobilized.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MadScientistWorking posted:

Arguably Bite Force had one of the worst designs in the competition. Tank treads and even magnets that they used are relatively pointless and increase the likelihood that you would be immobilized.

Yet it was rarely off the ground and nobody was able to get at the tank treads. Both from it being a good solid design and from good solid driving, which is probably the most important part of a good battlebot.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Would have loved to see Bronco vs. Bite Force. Oh, you have magnets? That's nice...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Good season. Hope to see more in the future, and the return of more classic Bots like Hazard and VLAD......THE IMPALER

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Microcline posted:

I think the big problem is the arena design. The smooth, flat surface means that there's no disadvantage to having minimal ground clearance. If the arena were slightly "lumpy", such as packed clay with low humps, you would need to have enough ground clearance to maneuver. Sloped armor would still help against spinners and you could still push other bots around (such as with a powered adjustable height plow/wedge), but it'd put an end to the simple wedgebot.

A different surface might also require better wheels, meaning that there would be a reason to use large, exposed tires instead of small, hard wheels concealed within the armor belt.

It'd be kinda cool to see a robot fight show with the budget for like four or five different arenas. Like you got the normal one from the show. Another in some sandpit or junkyard. One with a concrete floor covered in half an inch of water. Just whatever. Pokemon Gym this poo poo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Slate Action posted:

Good season. Hope to see more in the future, and the return of more classic Bots like Hazard and VLAD......THE IMPALER

Vlad is another of those robots that has not survived over the years, sadly. Mechavore destroyed the chassis in season 3. It was retired and later sold. Last word on it is that it was being restored but that was in 2010 and the people that bought it (Team Tiki) have nothing about it on their website. Its too bad. It looked like a big goofy pillbug but it worked. And that srimech was loving cool even if it rarely got used.

It had a replacement, Vlad the Impaler II that never saw much success. It was sold after season 5 to another owner. Then Last Rites broke it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Vlad is another of those robots that has not survived over the years, sadly. Mechavore destroyed the chassis in season 3. It was retired and later sold. Last word on it is that it was being restored but that was in 2010 and the people that bought it (Team Tiki) have nothing about it on their website. Its too bad. It looked like a big goofy pillbug but it worked. And that srimech was loving cool even if it rarely got used.

It had a replacement, Vlad the Impaler II that never saw much success. It was sold after season 5 to another owner. Then Last Rites broke it.

Holy poo poo, that kept running after an insane amount of destruction. Like half of the chasis was gone, and it was still moving decently

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Vladbots have always been known for being thoroughly, ridiculously durable. The original Vlad once broke one of the pulverizers even. Considering how many hits to took to take it down, I'm not surprised.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

keevo posted:

Poor Biohazard met his end a couple years ago. I believe the builder said that this was the retirement match. The old generation of bots just can't hold up to the current.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifBLBYwxe2Q

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's funny that SlamJob went on to become one of the most successful robots of all time but everyone will always remember it for that fight where Nightmare destroyed it in one hit.

Hopefully we'll get a new season and a bunch of vets that missed the first run will get to return with some new tricks up their sleeve. Ziggy, Touro Maximus, and SJ were major players after Battlebots and deserved to be on.

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Whole Internet posted:

It's funny that SlamJob went on to become one of the most successful robots of all time but everyone will always remember it for that fight where Nightmare destroyed it in one hit.

To be fair it was a really drat good hit.

• Locked thread