Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Yeah, I mean if anything's been squandered in mid-98 WCW it's Goldberg's title reign. He gets big wins over big stars but even as world champ he doesn't main event until Halloween Havoc, and a ton of people didn't get to see that match because of some bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
IDK, I marked out for Hogan and Warrior as a kid but I think its because we had different standards for what a tough guy was back then. It's not like today where you have so much mass media attention on stuff like MMA and even just on modern athletes training regimens. Warrior and Hogan were old, but as a kid they just reminded me of the drunk dudes you'd see getting in fights outside of the bar.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

El Estrago Bonito posted:

IDK, I marked out for Hogan and Warrior as a kid but I think its because we had different standards for what a tough guy was back then. It's not like today where you have so much mass media attention on stuff like MMA and even just on modern athletes training regimens. Warrior and Hogan were old, but as a kid they just reminded me of the drunk dudes you'd see getting in fights outside of the bar.

what bars did you frequent that had old dudes as monstrously jacked as Warrior and Hogan getting into brawls? I want to hang out there.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

what bars did you frequent that had old dudes as monstrously jacked as Warrior and Hogan getting into brawls? I want to hang out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUh3JQ9T8WI

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

And why were you there when you were a kid, at that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My burning question is, who was the guy who played Cheatham the Shark-Finned Terrorist Midget? I've never been able to find any of the WCW mini-movies on IMDB or any other place that lists the cast members.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Anyway, the issue with bringing back Warrior isn't that Warrior didn't have the look (though he was obviously well past his apex in terms of physique) or the character. It's that he and Hogan were being pushed at the top of the pile while Goldberg, who was at that point one of only four real stars built 100% by WCW (the others being Sting, DDP, and the Giant), had no real storyline despite being the world champ and having huge fan support.

I mean if you look at the WarGames match at Fall Brawl, who's representing WCW? DDP is captain but his teammates are Warrior and Piper. There was so much hesitation to pull the trigger on newer talent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

supposedly there's still meathead bars in the long island area. I found some people live tweeting fist fights a few weeks back.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I grew up in a very small town who's main attraction was a truck stop. There were a lot of middle aged dudes that basically just drunk beer, chewed tobacco and lifted weights. I mean none of them were obviously Hulk Hogan on roids level ripped but it was a similar aesthetic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm so excited to watch another Warrior promo in 24 hours. I'm still on Team Wood though.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I can't wait for Warrior's WCW gimmick to become more firmly established. Fog, magical powers, the one Warrior nation concept

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34sqrLWF_tQ

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

you are a remarkable person

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I don't think they "get into brawls" there so much as just going out to the parking lot to exchange a few blows

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DynamiteKidd posted:

Meltzer is brutal in his stuff on Nitro and WCW for basically the duration of Warrior's run. Not that he goes easy after that but the way he describes Hogan and Warrior dying in every city and how by October their merch can't be given away... it's sad, you know?

I mean Warrior's 17-minute surprise debut segment drew a massive rating. Huge. This trend didn't continue, although granted I'm not sure how one might have booked this angle well.

Weird to think how horribly Warrior's 17 minute nonsensical promo of death is remembered but then that's basically the same as the open to every Raw now.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Gonzo McFee posted:

Weird to think how horribly Warrior's 17 minute nonsensical promo of death is remembered but then that's basically the same as the open to every Raw now.

My dude, how long has it been since you watched Warrior's promo?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

My dude, how long has it been since you watched Warrior's promo?

Several years but as far as I remember it involves him coming out with his wife and making fun of the people on the message boards.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

Several years but as far as I remember it involves him coming out with his wife and making fun of the people on the message boards.

I'm watching some Two Man Power Trip 2001 WWF stuff, and in a promo HHH mentions "the dirtsheets". My eyes almost rolled out of my head, he's the worst sometimes haha.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

raw openings are bad but I always understand what hhh is talking about

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

raw openings are bad but I always understand what hhh is talking about

Every time Warrior speaks all I hear is "I am on so many drugs right now you don't even know"

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
At least HHH has a script he follows when he has long promos on Raw, and his words always make sense in the order he says them and don't steal time from matches (since there's an overrun). Like I said on the last page, Warrior went into business for himself and stretched his segment to 17 minutes, which ate into time for a couple of the matches remaining on the show like Malenko/Hennig and even the Goldberg/Giant main event.

Not to mention that the same show already had a lot of other long talking segments with Gene and DDP, Hogan and Eric at the top of the show, the Wolfpac coming out for 10 minutes just to say "hey we also exist if you don't remember", and Eddie's worked shoot promo. Incidentally, nobody believed Eddie was shooting because he never said "WWF" or "Raw" and pointedly avoided cursing ("Take this job and shove it up your you-know-what!") Didn't Sullivan still have the book, you'd think he'd be able to pull off a believable worked shoot angle since he put together Pillman's Loose Cannon angle (granted, with a ton of help from Pillman)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
HHH doesn't really have to go into business for himself since he's basically in charge of the business.

Personally, I'd take Warrior going mental over the same promo I've seen HHH cut since 2001. Don't get me wrong, Warrior's promo is an amazingly terrible promo but at least you'll remember it two hours later.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Counterpoint: I've never seen HHH get gassed giving a promo

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You know what you're right this thread is about LOLWWE and LOLHHH and I was silly to think WCW hosed up Warrior's return and probably shouldn't have brought him in in the first place. After all, WWE is silly and HHH has a giant ego and always has to put himself over everybody so nothing else that ever existed could ever be bad or dumb.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Counterpoint: I've never seen HHH get gassed giving a promo

This is not a point in Triple H's favor

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DynamiteKidd posted:

You know what you're right this thread is about LOLWWE and LOLHHH and I was silly to think WCW hosed up Warrior's return and probably shouldn't have brought him in in the first place. After all, WWE is silly and HHH has a giant ego and always has to put himself over everybody so nothing else that ever existed could ever be bad or dumb.

Well that's just not what I'm saying at all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Warrior's promos were fine if kept to like two minutes, then some roaring and shaking the ropes like a maniac. Whoever decided Ultimate Warrior should give a 17 minute in-ring soliloquy (be it Warrior or Bischoff or whoever) should have been trampled by elephants and run over with lawnmowers.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

honestly i would rather see a 15 minute warrior segment every single week because that sounds like fun

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

oatgan posted:

honestly i would rather see a 15 minute warrior segment every single week because that sounds like fun

So you mean a Warrior live cam in the coffin or do you want a direct feed to hell?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

haha uh

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

DynamiteKidd posted:

Lol you're the same guy who kept getting pissy when people were wrong about house number minutiae last night

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

quote:

Willow the Whisp (Sometimes WWF jobber Jeff Hardy) debuted in Japan on 6/14 for Battlarts and in his first match in captured the vacant UWA middleweight title beating Ikuto Hidaka

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oh my god please tell me that Willow had a shoot-match while in Battlarts

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

RZApublican posted:

Oh my god please tell me that Willow had a shoot-match while in Battlarts

Sadly, I don't think they did shoots in Battlarts. I could be wrong.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Everything Willow did was a shoot. They don't call him 'the best pure striker who is also a sentient tree' for nothing.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
read a DDT Digest report on the Nitro that's gonna be shown tonight. You remember a few weeks back when Schiavone said a million times that WCW gives the fans what they want, WWF is taped and has a 10-second main event, blah blah (and then the main event of that Nitro ended in 25 seconds after an nWo run-in)? On the WWF hotline JR said of that something like "Tony's a friend, I was a little disappointed to hear about that but I know he was just saying what he was told to, I've done it before myself."

Anyway my point is, JR is a wonderful man without a mean word for anybody, since Tony is measurably small-minded and petty (see when that guy he hated hosed up on Millionaire and Tony mentioned it 800 times on Nitro)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DynamiteKidd posted:

Anyway my point is, JR is a wonderful man without a mean word for anybody

Black people are people too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Source?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tony Schiavone rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

read a DDT Digest report on the Nitro that's gonna be shown tonight. You remember a few weeks back when Schiavone said a million times that WCW gives the fans what they want, WWF is taped and has a 10-second main event, blah blah (and then the main event of that Nitro ended in 25 seconds after an nWo run-in)? On the WWF hotline JR said of that something like "Tony's a friend, I was a little disappointed to hear about that but I know he was just saying what he was told to, I've done it before myself."

Anyway my point is, JR is a wonderful man without a mean word for anybody, since Tony is measurably small-minded and petty (see when that guy he hated hosed up on Millionaire and Tony mentioned it 800 times on Nitro)

If it was 2015 JR he would've made bitter old man remarks about it on Twitter for weeks