Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

I enjoyed it for how ridiculous it was, but I wouldn't call it "good".

Was ASBaR the one where Robin spends like two issues in the Batmobile and his face gets put on a milk carton before Batman even gets back to the Batcave from Gotham City?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Dick...chops him in the throat, I think? Dick is the narrator.

Those who have somehow never read ASBAR can see the whole sequence here:
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2787

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Robin! Only I'm allowed to brutalize people with no though of the consequences, jeez :rolleyes:"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Section Z posted:

"Robin! Only I'm allowed to brutalize people with no though of the consequences, jeez :rolleyes:"

Batman will leave you utterly crippled for life, but he won't kill you. Robin went straight for the killing shot to the throat.

I mean, what are you, retarded? He's the goddamn Batman.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

10 Beers posted:

I actually really like All Star Batman and Robin, and when I let my friend read it, he characterized Batman as basically being the Joker in a cowl without all the clown gear.

That would explain why when the Joker does appear he's scowling, brooding and saying he's not funny. They switched bodies!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Batman will leave you utterly crippled for life, but he won't kill you. Robin went straight for the killing shot to the throat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hm, yeah, okay, punching someone's dick in does seem worse than punching their dick off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Spider-Verse #3: Due to weird bullshit involving them all being Spider-people, a bunch of spider-folk with false memories are starting to remember their old lives before Secret Wars. After crime-fighting goes poorly, the Sinister Six show up, knock them all out, and bring them to Norman Osborn.

Later on after some exposition...

I love "doesn't give a poo poo" Spider-Ham.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, why don't we eat monkey?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

All Star Batman 9

So unh, what's stopping Hal from just making a big green boxing glove or whatever? His ring can't affect yellow things, but as far as I know being around yellow has never drained its power.

Also rear end in a top hat Batman could have saved a whole bunch of time by just installing some really overpowering yellow lightbulbs in that room.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rhyno posted:

If by we you mean all of humanity, we totally already do.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rhyno posted:

It's really hard to cook parasites and diseases out of it. Eating monkey meat is how humans get SIV, a virus theorized to be the progenitor of HIV. Also, y'know, a lot of them are endangered and in places that are hard to get to.

And they taste bad.

I hear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhyno posted:

It's often called bushmeat.

The reason the practice is not widespread is because it turns out that when your genetic friends are infected with something like, say, ebola, then handling and eating their flesh tends to give you the exact same thing.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Knormal posted:

So unh, what's stopping Hal from just making a big green boxing glove or whatever? His ring can't affect yellow things, but as far as I know being around yellow has never drained its power.

Also rear end in a top hat Batman could have saved a whole bunch of time by just installing some really overpowering yellow lightbulbs in that room.

That big green boxing glove would have no effect on yellow things. He'd try to hit Batman with it and nothing would happen.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also it would no doubt be way more of a pain to domesticate monkeys for lesser return in meat compared to the actual food animals we rely on, to take a long term view on the subject.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well okay fine.

Why don't we eat giraffe?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Maltose posted:

If by we you mean all of humanity, we totally already do.

We probably don't eat much ape though, which would be a much more apt analogy.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Rhyno posted:

Well okay fine.

Why don't we eat giraffe?

Tastes like poo poo. :colbert:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Is that Indian Spider-Man? Holy poo poo, I would have sworn I was the only one who remembered that mini. It was pretty good.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Practical Demon posted:

Is that Indian Spider-Man? Holy poo poo, I would have sworn I was the only one who remembered that mini. It was pretty good.

! ...Oh, thought you said Italian Spider man.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Practical Demon posted:

He shows up a bunch in Spider-Verse too!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

A few issues earlier Batman and Black Canary murdered an entire gang and then hosed, in full costume, amidst their corpses on the docks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sefer posted:

That big green boxing glove would have no effect on yellow things. He'd try to hit Batman with it and nothing would happen.

Yeah, if there was ever a hero that would greatly benefit from just carrying around a bag of little rocks to throw, it's GL.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, if there was ever a hero that would greatly benefit from just carrying around a bag of little rocks to throw, it's GL.

Non-yellow paint balloons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

A few issues earlier Batman and Black Canary murdered an entire gang and then hosed, in full costume, amidst their corpses on the docks.

I knew this video looks familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWLqnjFN64

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TwoPair posted:

Spider-Verse #3: Due to weird bullshit involving them all being Spider-people, a bunch of spider-folk with false memories are starting to remember their old lives before Secret Wars. After crime-fighting goes poorly, the Sinister Six show up, knock them all out, and bring them to Norman Osborn.

Later on after some exposition...

I love "doesn't give a poo poo" Spider-Ham.

Giving the pig eyebrows is intensely disquieting, somehow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's a spider that got bitten by a radioactive pig if that helps.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SynthOrange posted:

He's a spider that got bitten by a radioactive pig if that helps.

It...does not.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sandman Mystery Theatre #37

Oh Lt. Burke, you're such a card. I think you might have what it takes to join the Green Lantern Corps.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Sizone posted:

Sandman Mystery Theatre #37

Oh Lt. Burke, you're such a card. I think you might have what it takes to join the Green Lantern Corps.
Um... huh? Is there a character-based joke in there because I don't remotely get it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

Well, he probably would have once get he got a lot madder in the next pages and lashed out. But in the meantime, Robin stole his ring, soooooo
I linked the entire sequence up above, thanks for ignoring it?

And realizing the sheer effort that Batman and Robin put into painting the room would have flustered Hal more anyway, which was the point.

Does casting a yellow light on an object actually then render it as ineffective against a ring?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 29, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ditch posted:

Um... huh? Is there a character-based joke in there because I don't remotely get it.

He's calling her a broad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

redbackground posted:

Does casting a yellow light on an object actually then render it as ineffective against a ring?
Pretty sure that the rules are aggressively undefined. If it's dark wherever they are, the object isn't even reflecting yellow light. So what, the ring doesn't work on certain types of pigment?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

He's calling her a broad.

How many times have I told him not to call chicks broads?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I mean, I think Hal could just use his GL ring to make green fire or something to heat the colourless air until batman can't stand the heat and then just punch him but Hal's never been the most creative GL so aside from the cool psychological effect Bats could've just put on a yellow hat or something.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We need to get the hero from Superfuzz a GL ring: Weak to both Yellow and Red, probably Orange in that case, too.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hal could have solved that the same way Magneto beats non-magnetic people: by grabbing a nearby rock/building and using that to smash everything.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure that the rules are aggressively undefined. If it's dark wherever they are, the object isn't even reflecting yellow light. So what, the ring doesn't work on certain types of pigment?

I remember an old issue of the Super Friends comic where Aquaman destroyed one of GL's ring constructs by headbutting it with his blond hair.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Prison Warden posted:

I mean, I think Hal could just use his GL ring to make green fire or something to heat the colourless air until batman can't stand the heat and then just punch him but Hal's never been the most creative GL so aside from the cool psychological effect Bats could've just put on a yellow hat or something.

"Why doesn't he just carry around a paintball gun loaded with green pellets?"

Really, though, that scene had so many layers of Batman:
1: He's teaching his new ward discipline
2: He's testing to see how through and willing to take stupid orders his ward is
3: he's seriously mind-loving Green Lantern
4: He's showing his ward exactly how crazy you have to be to be 'crazy-prepared.'
5: he's just being a smug douche with the lemonade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I imagine that a fresh Green Lantern is encouraged to spend time with a set of yellow Pantone color swatches to find out what shades the ring can punch through and which ones are immune.