Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

If you have multiple millions, 100k can't be that big of a hit.

It's more the nouveau riche idea of "now i got money!" That lets me know he's gonna blow through it. He's the kind of guy to go out to a club and order bottle service every night to impress girls who will disappear the moment the money does. I hope I'm wrong but I've known this guy for a while and I'm insanely jealous at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's more the nouveau riche idea of "now i got money!" That lets me know he's gonna blow through it. He's the kind of guy to go out to a club and order bottle service every night to impress girls who will disappear the moment the money does. I hope I'm wrong but I've known this guy for a while and I'm insanely jealous at the same time.

dont worry hes gonna lose his rear end on maintenance costs. am dealerships charge ~$1500 for a yearly service check, which is just an oil change and inspection

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not upgrading from 7 probably ever.

-said a loving idiot

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dont worry hes gonna lose his rear end on maintenance costs. am dealerships charge ~$1500 for a yearly service check, which is just an oil change and inspection

thought this said arm dealerships and was going to make a crack about how it's actually grease

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not upgrading from 7 probably ever.

7 was a great OS, but my experience with 10 so far has been nothing short of great. So good I'm thinking about grabbing a windows phone to get a bit more out of it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The interface looks nice. Is DX 12 support starting tomorrow too?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is windows 10 free and as always I'm sure a wipe is preferred?

8.1 is fine with startisback I quite like it but lol @ 8.0

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i think they know my win7 copy isnt legit which is a bummer :sigh:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Posting from new laptop. Still installing a bunch of poo poo (games mostly). Got some AV and chrome, now running through the steam games I want. loving Rome 2 is a 12GB+ install.

Impressions: much nicer keyboard and touchpad. Touchpad is textured which took about 3 seconds to get used to, now I really like it. Overall laptop size is a little smaller and lighter, still a 15" screen. Integrated wireless-AC and bluetooth owns. Windows 8.1 isn't bad at all, but the right-click windows thing takes some getting used to and it looks like the old sysinfo command is gone which sucks. I liked having a 1-screen summary of the hardware I care about and the new System command is nowhere near as useful.

Now I have to figure out how the Windows 10 upgrade works, how to get Elite into steam, and copy files over from the old laptop.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What did you get?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been running Windows 10 for a while and consider it a big improvement over 8.1. I had a couple glitchy issues with drivers but nothing serious. Make sure you check that it's installing the proper drivers for things like your ethernet card/chip, because for me it kept automatically installing the wrong ones that kept the card from connecting at 1 Gbps.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

What did you get?

It's an MSI GP60. Far from high-end, but tough to beat under a grand. It's replacing an ASUS N53SV that's dying in a variety of irritating ways and barely runs mediocre games at mediocre performance anyway.

So far the closest thing I have to a complaint is that the "end" key is a functional rather than standalone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speaking of which, I've got a Lenovo Y410p I'm trying to cut loose for cheap. It's a 14" laptop with an i7 and a dedicated Nvidia GT 755m and used to be sh/sc's go-to recommendation. If anyone's interested send me a PM.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I've been running Windows 10 for a while and consider it a big improvement over 8.1. I had a couple glitchy issues with drivers but nothing serious. Make sure you check that it's installing the proper drivers for things like your ethernet card/chip, because for me it kept automatically installing the wrong ones that kept the card from connecting at 1 Gbps.
Did you do it as an upgrade in place (not sure if RC can do this) or a fresh install?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Did you do it as an upgrade in place (not sure if RC can do this) or a fresh install?

I had 8.1 installed before and booted the Windows 10 beta installer off a USB drive, which presented the typical options to wipe the drive and do a clean install. Every subsequent beta release I just did as an upgrade in place through Windows.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

It's an MSI GP60. Far from high-end, but tough to beat under a grand. It's replacing an ASUS N53SV that's dying in a variety of irritating ways and barely runs mediocre games at mediocre performance anyway.

So far the closest thing I have to a complaint is that the "end" key is a functional rather than standalone.

I like MSI. I bought a GE70 last year and I've been really happy with it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Speaking of which, I've got a Lenovo Y410p I'm trying to cut loose for cheap. It's a 14" laptop with an i7 and a dedicated Nvidia GT 755m and used to be sh/sc's go-to recommendation. If anyone's interested send me a PM.

i should totally blue ball you like how you did me with arkham knight

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i should totally blue ball you like how you did me with arkham knight

You weren't playing cards with a full deck and I shut you down before you hurt yourself. You think I'm going to reveal my starting price here? It'll be different for everyone who sends me a note, like when you pay a woman 20% less than her equivalent male coworker and forbid everyone from talking about their salary.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

I like MSI. I bought a GE70 last year and I've been really happy with it.

I've had good experiences with their mother(s)boards and graphics cards. I didn't know they were building laptops until I started shopping a few weeks ago. If it does particularly well or poorly I'll probably post about it in the games thread. But for general use thus far, I really like it. The keyboard is loving fantastic...apparently it's made by steelseries.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah most of their laptops use steelseries. It's good poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
http://www.znaps.net/

Why did it take so long for these to be a thing? loving getting one for my wife the instant they're available so she will stop breaking her god drat phone chargers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

http://www.znaps.net/

Why did it take so long for these to be a thing? loving getting one for my wife the instant they're available so she will stop breaking her god drat phone chargers.

So wait are these actually for sale or just a kickstarter? There's a big.ks logo up top but I need like a dozen of these.

E so it's a well funded kickstarter, time to sit back for a few months and wait for these to come to market.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
just got done watching it follows. what a poo poo movie, i guess it was suppose to be an aids metaphor or something i dunno, maybe vermis can clue us in

only 3 good things in it:

fuckin dirty rear end synths ala john carpenter circa 1980s

smashable lead actress

fuckin butt naked dude standing on a roof

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

just got done watching it follows. what a poo poo movie, i guess it was suppose to be an aids metaphor or something i dunno, maybe vermis can clue us in

only 3 good things in it:

fuckin dirty rear end synths ala john carpenter circa 1980s

smashable lead actress

fuckin butt naked dude standing on a roof

I read about that movie yesterday when I was looking for something to watch. It sounded like a horror flick made for teenage girls. Nice pick.

I jumped on Netflix and watched Diplomacy (not bad, part of my favorite genre: Nazi(s) talking in one room for 1.5+ hours).

And then I re-watched The Seventh Seal. Knight's-squire Jöns is the greatest character in cinema history who, as a bonus, casually drops a line about how prolific a rapist he is.

(this is not that line, this is just a cool line)

This is what I'm gonna watch next. I have no idea what the gently caress but it has cool music and looks totally over the top human being-indie-flick so I'll stroke-off and name-drop it in film classes next semester if nothing else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB22oo_f8g0

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfduCiInhI
:jackbud:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's a good fuckin song.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Watching Nightcrawler, p good movie. Jake Gyllenhaal is creepy as gently caress.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Anybody like movies that start off bad and then take gigantic nose-dives into raw drizzling poo poo? If you do, boy have I got some recommendations for you!

The Guest (Netflix): A Marine visits his dead Marine buddy's family after he gets out. He sticks around for a few days and is basically a part of the family. He drinks Fireballs because Marines are super tough and don't drink faggoty beverages like normal people. Spoiler: Oh and he was used in secret medical experiments by mil contractors so he's basically an unkillable kung-fu master. Why does he drop in on his buddy's family to play bad-rear end brother surrogate? gently caress you it isn't important. KUNG FU.

Exam (Netflix): People talking in a room. This movie breaks from the formula by replacing interesting dialogue and character development with nothing at all. Also has the world's stupidest loving mystery. There's nothing to spoil. It's just a lovely movie for retards. Lots of 5 star reviews on Netflix lol.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Watching Nightcrawler, p good movie. Jake Gyllenhaal is creepy as gently caress.

Hell yeah. Nightcrawler is real good and I liked it a lot.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nightcrawler :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

Anybody like movies that start off bad and then take gigantic nose-dives into raw drizzling poo poo? If you do, boy have I got some recommendations for you!

The Guest (Netflix): A Marine visits his dead Marine buddy's family after he gets out. He sticks around for a few days and is basically a part of the family. He drinks Fireballs because Marines are super tough and don't drink faggoty beverages like normal people. Spoiler: Oh and he was used in secret medical experiments by mil contractors so he's basically an unkillable kung-fu master. Why does he drop in on his buddy's family to play bad-rear end brother surrogate? gently caress you it isn't important. KUNG FU.

is his name kyle?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So, Chris Kyle really wrote in his book that he offed a bunch of looters from the top of the Superdome after Katrina and also a bunch of other dudes at a gas station and also a bunch of other bullshit?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe he's a serial murderer and everyone just thought he was a lying fag because SEALs seem to morph into that after a few years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I use windows to play exactly one game. Otherwise I'm in OSX all the time. 10 has enough issues they've already slated the first service pack for October. There was an update last week to the version that's supposed to be released that broke right clicking on some things. As it is now, it's a beta operating system with bugs and inconsistent UI throughout. If I was on 8 I might upgrade, but it's silly to move from 7 at the moment.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Maybe he's a serial murderer and everyone just thought he was a lying fag because SEALs seem to morph into that after a few years they start shopping for a book deal.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Tbh seals are all pretty gay.

Sparta gay though, not San Francisco gay.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ActusRhesus posted:

Tbh seals are all pretty gay.

Sparta gay though, not San Francisco gay.

So "Terrible rear end in a top hat" gay, not "Can whip up a 4 star mojito with whatever you have in the cabinent" gay?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Booblord Zagats posted:

So "Terrible rear end in a top hat" gay, not "Can whip up a 4 star mojito with whatever you have in the cabinent" gay?

Pretty much.

True fact: when psych screening for black side "mild homoerotic tendencies" is a favorable marker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought that was standard navy/marine entrance requirements.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, Chris Kyle really wrote in his book that he offed a bunch of looters from the top of the Superdome after Katrina and also a bunch of other dudes at a gas station and also a bunch of other bullshit?

yeah so he was either full of poo poo or a piece of poo poo.

rly makes u think

also was his kill count including all the Americans he claims to have blazed or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

elite_garbage_man posted:

yeah so he was either full of poo poo or a piece of poo poo.

They aren't mutually exclusive things, fwiw

• Locked thread