Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Stop trying to humanize Anthony. His sin is unforgivable and I will only be satisfied with his death or permanent banishment. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dang, are those Game Gears? Sick.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Saoshyant posted:

Were there chargers for Game Gears? I just remember them going through 10 million AA batteries at once.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I bet Kat could rig something up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I see Kat still doesn't feel comfortable enough to take out the Virtual Boys.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fecha posted:

Were there chargers for Game Gears? I just remember them going through 10 million AA batteries at once.

Chargers no. AC adapters though...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Blackheart posted:

I see Kat still doesn't feel comfortable enough to take out the Virtual Boys.
No, it's just that it's hard to make out with your girlfriend with eye-strain and a splitting headache. :v:

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Fecha posted:

Yeah, you had this giant external battery that you literally bolted on to the back. That and the car adapter + AC adapter meant it was totally usable even if you never used the 6x AA, although at that point it's only very loosely portable.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tupperwarez posted:

No, it's just that it's hard to make out with your girlfriend with eye-strain and a splitting headache. :v:

I think the reference was to a different kind of virtual boy.

:master:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Man, this has been a good chapter for drama. I look forward to the coming pages.

I still maintain that he could be an rear end. This is the first non-rear end interaction so far.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Grognan posted:

Man, this has been a good chapter for drama. I look forward to the coming pages.

I still maintain that he could be an rear end. This is the first non-rear end interaction so far.

He's still an rear end. Just one with more nuance than "beep boop I am Tony bot, must destroy daughter!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Anthony Carver makes me unhappy but I will be satisfied if the Anthony Carver that dies is the unhuman unfeeling doom-and-gloom harbinger and he becomes an actual character which appears to be happening.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That is to say, he should fall in line and become another member of the faculty extended cast. I expect a chapter of Eglamore, Anthony, and Bob going out for drinks. It will be very awkward.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Even better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

alcharagia posted:

Anthony Carver makes me unhappy but I will be satisfied if the Anthony Carver that dies is the unhuman unfeeling doom-and-gloom harbinger and he becomes an actual character which appears to be happening.

He already is an "actual character".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I assume they mean an actual person but imo we already saw that in the flashback. Really excited for tomorrow's and Friday's pages.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tea-san posted:

Even better

drat, son.

Wait, does that mean there's a dusty old Jaguar somewhere in the Donlans' attic?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tea-san posted:

Even better

What kind of crazy alternate reality is this?? I can believe in fairies and reality altering ether constructs that take the form of a coyote, but someone owning two Atari Lynxes and using them with their partner? This is where I draw the line!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if she owns some other obscure gaming console, like the Pippin.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Tea-san posted:

Even better

Any chance we're going to get Kat's reaction to MGS5?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I can think of so many was for this all to go horribly wrong, like Donny recognizing the symbol on Reynard as Kat's and it coming out that Annie lied, or the two of them trying to experiment on Reynard and Donny gets hurt when Reynard uses Kat's instructions to defend himself, or Annie loses her temper here from something Anthony says and we get fire from the stone or so many other possibilities.

It will probably be just a humanizing and revealing chapter but still

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't exactly see "Anthony is a funny and engaging person and enjoys a drink with his friend, but specifically chooses to be a cold controlling monster to his daughter" as humanizing him.

What we are establishing is that Anthony has a circle of trust and Annie is outside of it. He is in an altogether more questionable situation than when people assumed that he is merely autistic or otherwise incapable of showing his feelings. Instead he is, it seems intentionally withholding affection from Annie for some purpose.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 28, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Tony not having matching glasses is a really good detail

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Illegal Username posted:

Tony not having matching glasses is a really good detail

well he has exactly one glass, for water, etc., and one mug, for tea. Eminently efficient for one person.

I like how he feng shuied them into one another however

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fangz posted:

I don't exactly see "Anthony is a funny and engaging person and enjoys a drink with his friend, but specifically chooses to be a cold controlling monster to his daughter" as humanizing him.

It's humanizing insofar as it shows other sides of his character, thus making him appear more like a human than a one-note character in a story. That doesn't mean it makes him a better person.

We already knew that he had at least two people he could show emotions in front of, though, from prior scenes. He's clearly still a screwed-up individual. Compare the way he acts towards Brinnie with the way he acts towards Annie: probably both people he has some kind of feeling for, but he's completely unable to address those feelings or deal with them in any kind of reasonable way. In both cases the person he CAN talk to about those feelings is Donny, because his feelings for Donny are less confusing and upsetting to him.

It is a perfectly reasonable thing to say "this is a guy with some serious issues who we can feel sympathy for, who also has done some bad poo poo to his daughter that she didn't deserve and shouldn't accept".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's humanizing insofar as it shows other sides of his character, thus making him appear more like a human than a one-note character in a story. That doesn't mean it makes him a better person.

Exactly, humanising and making someone appear good are not the same thing. Though admittedly the former is often used for the latter.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

I like how he feng shuied them into one another however

I think it was more of a way to bring two cups with one hand

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what Anthony looks like in the ether.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder what Anthony looks like in the ether.

I feel it would probably be something made of incredibly complex parts somehow coalescing into the most simple geometric form possible, or some kind of boneclaw version of Kat's angel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think he might just look like himself, I think that'd be cooler and much more Tony in a way

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tea-san posted:

Even better

Nah, look at the bag. That's clearly a Game Gear carrying case. I had one.

EDIT: Derp, look at who I quoted. I shouldn't be arguing this.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Fangz posted:

What we are establishing is that Anthony has a circle of trust and Annie is outside of it. He is in an altogether more questionable situation than when people assumed that he is merely autistic or otherwise incapable of showing his feelings. Instead he is, it seems intentionally withholding affection from Annie for some purpose.
I've got this faint sense that this might just end with Tony breaking down and begging Donnie to help with Antimony because he has absolutely no idea how to reach the real her - something like he's waiting for her to start acting like Surma Jr. (because he remember how to manage that) without figuring out that there's a fair old chunk of Carver stoicism in there as well.

I mean, from the reports he's gotten she's certainly been acting a lot like her mother - medium-in-training, spending time in the woods, paying as little attention as possible to the rules so he comes in expecting that to continue but she suddenly clams up and becomes...well, what she's become in the last few chapters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IUG posted:

Nah, look at the bag. That's clearly a Game Gear carrying case. I had one.

EDIT: Derp, look at who I quoted. I shouldn't be arguing this.
Death of the author! :argh:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Itzena posted:

I've got this faint sense that this might just end with Tony breaking down and begging Donnie to help with Antimony because he has absolutely no idea how to reach the real her -
I'll be surprised if this doesn't turn out to be closer to the truth than anything else.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Splicer posted:

Death of the author! :argh:

But I want the comic to finish. :smith:

(But yeah, saw that case and saw Game Gear. I wanted to go back to "who" I quoted to see the case again and realized who's name I was going to click on from my quoted text.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tea-san posted:

Even better

Playing hilariously old consoles seems like a Kat thing to do. Can't wait to see the finished background!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tea-san posted:

Even better

Your comic's good, thanks for making it

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tea-san posted:

Even better

If this is any indication, Kat's probably found a way to turn the Virtual Boy into an Oculus Rift with some soldering and tape.

At least she isn't playing an N-Gage.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
He's...smiling. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
This is so creepy. I'm going to have to block whoever gets his face as an avatar.