Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

War advice please

It's a defensive war, can you make any new allies who'll be willing to join? Maybe someone who hates the Ottomans?

Other than that you should try to defeat Pasai by playing defensively and abusing terrain (mountains or river crossings). Avoid the Ottomans like the plague, scorch earth your forts and just let them siege them while taking attrition, while you focus on throwing everything you have at Pasai. If you can beat them or at least hold them off long enough to get a bit of a ticking warscore you might be able to white peace or at least give up without losing too much stuff.

Losing some provinces isn't that big a deal though, you keep your cores and you should be able to reconquer them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Haha, I don't know if the background images on Steam are from user profiles or what, but the one that's showing up right now for me is a screenshot of the Ottomans as the Holy See controller.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Since you're in such a crappy position to fabricate claims on you may have to declare a few wars without a CB on the vulnerable targets in the Mediterranean. Byzantium, Urbino, Theodoro, or Ragusa are all good targets to snag early on as a continental base of power.

Not Urbino though because they're a vassal of the Papal State now from the start and they're huge and strong

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Yashichi posted:

Not Urbino though because they're a vassal of the Papal State now from the start and they're huge and strong

Hadn't noticed, that's rough for the smaller med nations. Who is the go-to escape target for Albania now?

Also my first attempt at sungod is going alright but I'm wondering if maybe I was a bit slow. I only managed to reform the religion in the 1550's and wasn't Westernized until 1590.

It's now 1638 and I have locked out the Europeans from the interior of the continent but Portugal, Spain, and Holland all have a colonial nation, and GB has a single coastal province

Spain is a huge problem, they completely destroyed France and there is no one on the European continent that could threaten them, and they have 40k more forcelimits than I do army, and a huge fleet of tallships.

I managed to get GB allied but Ottomans want none of it so I'm not sure if I could actually take lands from Spain's colonies (and Spain is obviously allied to Portugal so that's the same problem)

Am I running out of time or can I keep colonizing interior provinces and catching up on tech? (only 2-3 techs behind Spain now and gaining)

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
It looks like you have tons of time. You might have to work out your wars carefully if Portugal and Spain are allied but other than that there shouldn't be any major issues.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also you'll see a big manpower boost over time as you fill out the interior. Just because they're all 1/1/1 provinces doesn't mean they don't add up.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also start building as many heavy ships as you can. Eventually you should be able to afford enough to beat any other nation's navy which means you can keep the Europeans from landing more troops, leaving you free to take all of the land you need and maybe even just waiting the war score out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the way I usually win Colonial games is naval superiority. They can't beat you in a land fight if their navy never leaves the motherland! Mali looks tough but they probably aren't westernized so you might be able to steal their coastline as a naval base.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Also those colonial nations won't be tied to their overlords forever. If you support them then they'll probably be really keen on independence.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:awesome:

I wish I got admin 2 early. You can demand lots of South American provinces in one peace deal since they're so cheap. I am not looking forward to Sunset Invasion, like, at all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sunset Invasion is mostly hard because of the Nahautl religion being so brutal, really.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also my first attempt at sungod is going alright but I'm wondering if maybe I was a bit slow. I only managed to reform the religion in the 1550's and wasn't Westernized until 1590.

It's now 1638 and I have locked out the Europeans from the interior of the continent but Portugal, Spain, and Holland all have a colonial nation, and GB has a single coastal province

Spain is a huge problem, they completely destroyed France and there is no one on the European continent that could threaten them, and they have 40k more forcelimits than I do army, and a huge fleet of tallships.

I managed to get GB allied but Ottomans want none of it so I'm not sure if I could actually take lands from Spain's colonies (and Spain is obviously allied to Portugal so that's the same problem)

Am I running out of time or can I keep colonizing interior provinces and catching up on tech? (only 2-3 techs behind Spain now and gaining)

If you can keep Spain and Portugal from landing troops, you can use ticking warscore (and naval battle warscore from heavy ships vs mixed transport fleets) to grab pretty much all their combined territory in about one war. The same is true for the other two powers present. It looks like a lot of land but it is poorly developed and wont' have much of a warscore cost.

Just remember that the key is you don't need many transports (just three will do to transport people to grab Falklands and South Georgia) and the rest of your fleet should be heavy ships that are mothballed during peace. Depending on the size of the enemy's fleet, you can have them as one fleet or two fleets. Keep them patrolling the Atlantic coast (and keep an eye out yourself) and you can sink the enemy's entire transport fleet with their troops onboard.

Even if they do land some troops, it won't be anywhere near their force limits. You'll be able to deal with them with the troops you have, and you should be able to catch up and sink their fleet before a second group lands. If you have maritime you can even go and blockade them to really ensure the lockdown.

Just catch up on military tech and remember you have nearly 200 years to secure those provinces.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Since you're in such a crappy position to fabricate claims on you may have to declare a few wars without a CB on the vulnerable targets in the Mediterranean. Byzantium, Urbino, Theodoro, or Ragusa are all good targets to snag early on as a continental base of power.

I haven't played as the Knights for a while but didn't they move the sea zones around so you can fabricate on most of the West Anatolian coast and Greece?

E: I just realised that you should in theory be able to form Arabia as Jerusalem, I might have figured out my next game :v:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 29, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How hard would it be for them to add decisions to the game that reflect achievements, just to make it easier to track in game. Like for This is Persia you'd have a decision for some prestige or whatever that list all the requirements. Maybe remove some of the "has changed tag" limitations from some achievements to make the criteria for the decisions easier.
To not bloat the decision screen to much maybe only do it for the country specific ones and the "own india" "own Japan" etc.

Why am I asking for this, because I am too stupid to read and got the 1 mil manpower achievement at the same time with the This is Persia one. Ok it also had to do with super Austria (Bohemia, Hungary PU'd + Burgundian Inheritance) who was allied with Muscowy, Spain and Great Britain + minors protecting Venice.

Edit: does anyone know if Chinaware is actually limited to China/Indochina or can it spawn from colonies or even in the new world?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be cool for an 'achievement mapmode' where you can click one like Sun God and it colors every province required a shade of dark red or something. Ones you already own are green. If the achievement doesn't let you have subjects own it then color it yellow. Et cetera.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Tahirovic posted:

Edit: does anyone know if Chinaware is actually limited to China/Indochina or can it spawn from colonies or even in the new world?

It can fire in colonies, but only in the Indonesian region or in province 738, which appears to be Taiwan. You can't get it in the new world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be cool if colonies spawned after the event that lowers the price because whats-his-face from Central Germany figured out how to make it in Europe had a chance to produce it. Because there's a good source of materials or whatever.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Allyn posted:

It can fire in colonies, but only in the Indonesian region or in province 738, which appears to be Taiwan. You can't get it in the new world.

Ah thanks, think I'll give Meissner Porcelain a try after the Arabian coffee one, should be fun to conquer China as Saxony, guess the way to go will be HRE -> revoke privilegia. That development discount sure looks interesting to play with too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blob to the Dutch coast, then build a massive navy and conquer England. Or no-CB Brittany. You know, whatever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Conquering the Netherlands and dominating the English channel would be my first instinct...then conquer all the trade provinces from Africa to canton and use your insane cash to go from there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
English Channel is straight up the best region for any colonizer, especially the achievements since the trade money will fuel your wars against everyone ever for those stupid trade goods.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't played as the Knights for a while but didn't they move the sea zones around so you can fabricate on most of the West Anatolian coast and Greece?

E: I just realised that you should in theory be able to form Arabia as Jerusalem, I might have figured out my next game :v:

It's better now than it was, but at the end of the day 90% of the land you can reach is or is about to be the Ottoman Empire so it can still be worth it to just jump over to Italy/Crimea/Croatia for land that's not as well guarded

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I got a 2 province Iraq as vassal, they are Shia as are both their provinces, I use the vassal interface to enforce religion, they change to sunni, one month later they are back to shia but keep the huge liberty desire..... looks like they are taking a decision to change religion. This really should be fixed, make enforce religion change the religion of their capital province or make it disable that decision.

vvvv Yes annexing an overlord usually makes you the new overlord, at least used to.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Annexing a nation that has vassals gives you those vassals, right? Haven't done it in a long time, and I am fighting a Papal State with a vassal in Urbino and need to know if I will take that junk vassal on.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I suppose that Sweden is much better if it stays up as such and doesn't form Scandinavia, yes?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Transmetropolitan posted:

I suppose that Sweden is much better if it stays up as such and doesn't form Scandinavia, yes?

You keep your ideas, so it's practically cosmetic. I guess, though, you might not get some of the better bonuses from Swedish events, but I don't know how many of them are permanent or just temporary bonuses.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

How hard would it be for them to add decisions to the game that reflect achievements, just to make it easier to track in game. Like for This is Persia you'd have a decision for some prestige or whatever that list all the requirements. Maybe remove some of the "has changed tag" limitations from some achievements to make the criteria for the decisions easier.
To not bloat the decision screen to much maybe only do it for the country specific ones and the "own india" "own Japan" etc.

Well they wouldn't have to put it in the decision screen. They could put it in with the triggered modifiers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Another Person posted:

Annexing a nation that has vassals gives you those vassals, right? Haven't done it in a long time, and I am fighting a Papal State with a vassal in Urbino and need to know if I will take that junk vassal on.

Why not just annex Urbino too

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elman posted:

It's a defensive war, can you make any new allies who'll be willing to join? Maybe someone who hates the Ottomans?

Other than that you should try to defeat Pasai by playing defensively and abusing terrain (mountains or river crossings). Avoid the Ottomans like the plague, scorch earth your forts and just let them siege them while taking attrition, while you focus on throwing everything you have at Pasai. If you can beat them or at least hold them off long enough to get a bit of a ticking warscore you might be able to white peace or at least give up without losing too much stuff.

Losing some provinces isn't that big a deal though, you keep your cores and you should be able to reconquer them later.

I just gave up. Pasai was filthy rich and kept spamming mercs and striking me with bigger numbers. Maybe if I had used terrain more smartly it would do, but it seemed unlikely.

I did manage to get a 5% warscore in my favour, though. And then I was able to get a not so bad peace deal: I gave then back all the provinces I had previously stolen (inluding my only gold province :( ), released Buton and broke an alliance with an enemy of theirs and they were happy.

And now it crushing Pasai to non-existence became my nš 1 objective in this game.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Why not just annex Urbino too

AE. Annexing the last Papal State would leave me sitting at 27. Taking Urbino would put me over 30.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another Person posted:

AE. Annexing the last Papal State would leave me sitting at 27. Taking Urbino would put me over 30.

With who? Going over 30 isn't instant doom.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Another Person posted:

30 is just the threshold where countries might start to enter a coalition against you, but the chance is pretty low at that point unless you're a total weakling. I don't have hard numbers or anything but you can go way above 30 before a coalition forms. Even once the coalition forms, you can often just ride it out and wait for countries to leave.

Long story short it's often worth going above 30 AE to take land.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Going slightly over 30AE is only bad if you have no allies and your neighbors already hate you from stuff like you taking their lands or holding their cores or them having claims on you. Otherwise it's pretty safe to just chill out for a few years and let the AE dissipate. Alternatively, have 5 times as many troops as any other country and be the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to convert to Islam as Venice? Without mods or fiddling around with notepad and whatnot because the former still hasn't updated and the latter is a colossal pain.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You should be able to. Just conquer some Islamic land, send a missionary and lower autonomy (in that order, might help to wait a month tick between) and when the religious rebels spawn, if they conquer enough of your land, you can convert.

That said, it's probably going to be really tricky to get them to come for your Italian provinces. It's easy enough to go Catholic as Ottomans, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OneTwentySix posted:

You should be able to. Just conquer some Islamic land, send a missionary and lower autonomy (in that order, might help to wait a month tick between) and when the religious rebels spawn, if they conquer enough of your land, you can convert.

That said, it's probably going to be really tricky to get them to come for your Italian provinces. It's easy enough to go Catholic as Ottomans, though.
Yeah the rebels CAN teleport to your other lands via sea, now. Can they traverse multiple seazones with that new-ish ability?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You'd have to get religious rebels to convert a bunch of your land. Not impossible but pretty tough, especially since your capital is over a straight and they'll never be able to cross that without getting blocked by a three thousand ships that constantly flow in and out of it.

alternatively it's actually insanely simple to change that in notepad- go to steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV\history\countries\venice.txt (it's actually like VEN venezia or some poo poo, you can find it easily though) and in one of the first few lines it'll have like "religion = catholic". Change that to whatever you want and it's done (in this case "sunni", presumably).

that won't convert your provinces (which is slightly harder to mod in but still insanely easy) but it'll hardly be any more difficult to get on your feet from that than it would be from being broken by religious rebels.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah the rebels CAN teleport to your other lands via sea, now. Can they traverse multiple seazones with that new-ish ability?

I've had really iffy success with this when I've wanted it to happen. In several attempts at a Catholic Ottoman run, they just sat there for years without doing anything, lacking a land route to my territory. They can teleport, but I don't know if you can rely on them actually doing it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there a mod/scenario creator tool with a decent GUI? I remember there being one for EU3 that would let me select individual provinces on a map and fiddle with various properties, like owner, controller, trade good, etc. I've been trying to use CK2 and the CK2 converter for that purpose but it's really burned me out on CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Koramei posted:

You'd have to get religious rebels to convert a bunch of your land. Not impossible but pretty tough, especially since your capital is over a straight and they'll never be able to cross that without getting blocked by a three thousand ships that constantly flow in and out of it.

You could probably just take enough Sunni provinces that when they rise up and occupy one province, accepting their demands is available, and will convert you. You start with, what, 9? Taking 10 shouldn't be impossible. (Hopefully it's not based on development -- I'm actually not sure...)

• Locked thread