Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Morglon posted:

It... doesn't though?

Sure seemed like it to me, regardless after the 5th attempt when they were still getting themselves killed by stupid poo poo I decided to just try soloing it after they died. Unfortunately I'm still a Cryo and didn't really have much in the way of on-demand burst besides pre-casting white-out, mashing the Icy comet key, followed by jagged shards and dashing out of the way as soon as he started moving again.

I've almost unlocked necromancer though.

Soon, very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Neptulos or Aquatos or something, water god, floats around on a damage reduction shield that goes down when he summons adds. In his second phase he fires an instant kill laser whenever he manages to float his way into melee with someone. Unfortunately it's bugged or something right now so if there's someone in melee beating on him during his burn phase, he will announce the end of his burn phase by instantly lasering them in the face. At least according to the two templar I was grouped with who died to instant lasers to the face.

That's the first boss I had trouble with in the game too, right before the laser fires there's a thin blue line that's kinda hard to see that says get out the way or die idiots and welp.

I just never stand in front of a boss if I can help it, that alone lets me avoid most of the really big damage.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Neptulos or Aquatos or something, water god, floats around on a damage reduction shield that goes down when he summons adds. In his second phase he fires an instant kill laser whenever he manages to float his way into melee with someone. Unfortunately it's bugged or something right now so if there's someone in melee beating on him during his burn phase, he will announce the end of his burn phase by instantly lasering them in the face. At least according to the two templar I was grouped with who died to instant lasers to the face.

That...hasn't been my experience. There's a clearly telegraphed line before the laser goes off and it doesn't trigger right when he switches over even if you're in melee with him. I've tanked him a bunch of times and there's no special melee-only insta-gib interaction.

It was probably something like "Oh but the boss is so BS it's not us sucking it's totally the unavoidable doom laser!" instead of admitting they're incapable of moving slightly to the side when the boss telegraphs the attack.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah that boss does do a lot of damage with all of his attacks but they all have a long windup, are well telegraphed and easy to doge if your connection doesn't crap itself or you're super drunk.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Your Templars were bullshitting.

The only issue I can think of with that particular tell is that the laser is wider than the blue line on the floor would suggest, so give yourself a little more room.

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014
In my experience as a pally the laser isn't even an instant kill, only does around 1.5k.

Always seemed to 1-shot the cryos in my party though so I'm not sure whats happening there.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
As a melee class, you take half damage from most of those types of attacks. But even as ranged it probably shouldn't be doing more than 70% unless your HP is really low for your prestige.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

LunaDeus posted:

Always seemed to 1-shot the cryos in my party though so I'm not sure whats happening there.

AOE damage from monsters and attacks with tells have a traumatic damage component. Melee classes have attributes on their weapons which halve traumatic damage.

It's basically meant as a balancing mechanic for the level of difficulty between melee and ranged classes. Reminds you not to stand in the fire.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im in game as Cherry Poppins, so if you see me say hi.

I pretty much leech port noari on my pally atm. Only about 3k prestige, its slow going.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

What's the easiest group finder or two I can use to learn how to tank? I queued for something with a couple naga and little tank dude as the first main trash and they obliterated me. Need to learn with training wheels on apparently.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Kurieg posted:

I just spent 20 minutes soloing the last 50% health of a boss because the melee got killed by a hitscan laser and the boss didn't even drop loot

Is basically every dungeon except for the first four capped by a boss full of stupid mechanics that punish even the slightest bit of inattention with instant death?

Most of the dungeon bosses are actually pretty easy. (Aquifer though gave us a run for our money but the others though were easy)

Kurieg posted:

So Thai's Temple. Thats a 1-3 Man Mission. What the gently caress is a Templar?

RottenK posted:

i don't doubt that russiagame will delight us with bugs for years to come, but i think you templars were lying morons

What the gently caress is a Templar?

Kurieg posted:

Sure seemed like it to me, regardless after the 5th attempt when they were still getting themselves killed by stupid poo poo I decided to just try soloing it after they died. Unfortunately I'm still a Cryo and didn't really have much in the way of on-demand burst besides pre-casting white-out, mashing the Icy comet key, followed by jagged shards and dashing out of the way as soon as he started moving again.

I've almost unlocked necromancer though.

Soon, very soon.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You are playing Cryomancer. That answers loving everything. Enjoy getting one shotted forever you loving moron.

Kessel posted:

Your Templars were bullshitting.

The only issue I can think of with that particular tell is that the laser is wider than the blue line on the floor would suggest, so give yourself a little more room.

WHAT THE gently caress IS A TEMPLAR?

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Morglon posted:

Yeah that boss does do a lot of damage with all of his attacks but they all have a long windup, are well telegraphed and easy to doge if your connection doesn't crap itself or you're super drunk.
Yeah my first experience with that boss was rough but I consider him to be a breeze now. Loot does seem to bug out on him though since there's that little cutscene after he dies. It seems like it disappears before you can loot it which sucks.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i got a 14 day code, played for a day and uninstalled. what's with the weird fusion of action rpg combat and tab targeting. pick one and optimize it, holy poo poo

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

walruscat posted:

What's the easiest group finder or two I can use to learn how to tank? I queued for something with a couple naga and little tank dude as the first main trash and they obliterated me. Need to learn with training wheels on apparently.

Tanking as a paladin is super straightforward. You get a loving lightbinder in your party. No exceptions for the first time around. If its an alchemist expect the motherfucker to have no skills and be total garbage.

Then you make the pulls with the idea in mind to always have your shields up and hit everything with Waves or your basic right click hold. Do not use divine scourge until you know what you are doing as it blows your shield when you do it.

And finally. Kite. Just string around the pile of poo poo you aggroed and just do a few quick hits and then keep on the move. This is how I handle large packs.

For the bosses you can totally just face them away from the group and face tank them with the occasional dodge out of the way for a telegraphed big hit.

A good 1-3 man mission for learning tanking is Lanbar Catacombs. heheheheh

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
If I try the academy construction mission and fail, it's not going to gently caress availability up for anyone else is it? I don't have any engineers yet so my best mission chance is ~50%

Seriously, gently caress the Fast Response bonus. I'm a paladin, I can shield through strong abilities all day long.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 29, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Melanion posted:

If I try the academy construction mission and fail, it's not going to gently caress availability up for anyone else is it? I don't have any engineers yet so my best mission chance is ~50%

Just loving do it. You give us at least half of what a success gives so that is worlds better than the shitlords that don't log on and don't do it. Besides its gonna be a week or so for you guys to come out of garbage tier so dropping you for a different goon living in a trash can is totally pointless.

This is a picture of all of you right now.

Blazing Zero posted:

i got a 14 day code, played for a day and uninstalled. what's with the weird fusion of action rpg combat and tab targeting. pick one and optimize it, holy poo poo

Look guys another cryomancer.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 29, 2015

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Melanion posted:

Seriously, gently caress the Fast Response bonus. I'm a paladin, I can shield through strong abilities all day long.

No. If you fail we just get half the construction points, same as failing any other mission.

Fast Response is interesting and bullshit for the same reason: there are a lot more telegraphed attacks than is initially apparent. Some are hard to see and not powerful enough that through normal play you ever wonder where that damage is coming from. Then you get Fast Response and lose credit towards it every other pull. Wingers are a good example of this, they have some 'charged' ranged attacks which strike in a like and which you can easily avoid, and you can see them charging them up.

As for the Paladin issue: some secondary objectives are just not easily doable with certain classes. The one that wants you to kill 5 mobs at once for instance; Easy for a Paladin, virtually impossible for a Slayer. The one that wants you to take as little damage as possible? Have fun, Necromancers.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 29, 2015

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

Tanking as a paladin is super straightforward. You get a loving lightbinder in your party. No exceptions for the first time around. If its an alchemist expect the motherfucker to have no skills and be total garbage.

Then you make the pulls with the idea in mind to always have your shields up and hit everything with Waves or your basic right click hold. Do not use divine scourge until you know what you are doing as it blows your shield when you do it.

And finally. Kite. Just string around the pile of poo poo you aggroed and just do a few quick hits and then keep on the move. This is how I handle large packs.

For the bosses you can totally just face them away from the group and face tank them with the occasional dodge out of the way for a telegraphed big hit.

A good 1-3 man mission for learning tanking is Lanbar Catacombs. heheheheh

Ok. That makes sense. I had two cryos, a necro and an alchemist in the party. I'll try again and follow your advice. I definitely did use divine scourge because I'm an idiot.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Drinkfist posted:

Just loving do it. You give us at least half of what a success gives so that is worlds better than the shitlords that don't log on and don't do it. Besides its gonna be a week or so for you guys to come out of garbage tier so dropping you for a different goon living in a trash can is totally pointless.

i played the paladin and did the training for literally every other class though. this is a bad game with a bad combat system

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Liberatore posted:

No. If you fail we just get half the construction points, same as failing any other mission.

Fast Response is interesting and bullshit for the same reason: there are a lot more telegraphed attacks than is initially apparent. Some are hard to see and not powerful enough that through normal play you ever wonder where that damage is coming from. Then you get Fast Response and lose credit towards it every other pull. Wingers are a good example of this, they have some 'charged' ranged attacks which strike in a like and which you can easily avoid, and you can see them charging them up.

As for the Paladin issue: some secondary objectives are just not easily doable with certain classes. The one that wants you to kill 5 mobs at once for instance; Easy for a Paladin, virtually impossible for a Slayer. The one that wants you to take as little damage as possible? Have fun, Necromancers.

Agreed on the different classes thing. Most of the kill chain/kill multiples ones are so much easier on paladin (Compared to alch) thanks to the tankiness and low downtime between fights. If I do a 3-man I give up entirely on the blue objectives, though. Goddamn pubbies.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Blazing Zero posted:

i played the paladin and did the training for literally every other class though. this is a bad game with a bad combat system

stop not liking what i like

Drinkfist posted:

Man I'll be totally honest I don't get the hate for Cryomancer. Sure you're a little less interactive than some other classes but holy poo poo you look awesome doing it. Is playing it really that tedious (I play Lightbinder, which I can't imagine is THAT much better for non-dungeon play)?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Zero posted:

this is a bad game

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Whoever designed the slayer class was out of their minds. I unlock my "R" Ultimate move which does 4k dmg on a 6 min cooldown compared to my "4" move which does 17k on a 40 sec cooldown.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Slayer's ultimate is a CC that works on bosses. The cooldown is also super short thanks to a talent you get soon after it. And it's amazing in PvP and a guaranteed kill if it crits.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

I enjoy the game well enough but this represents my feelings about the combat system as well regardless of which class I am playing.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

I enjoy the game well enough but this represents my feelings about the combat system as well regardless of which class I am playing.

It's true. I don't dislike the system but it would have been better if they just ripped off Tera's combat system.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I actually like the combat better than the alternative which is Vindictus; at least you can lock targets and I rarely have moments where my attacks don't go where I want them to. Also from the previews and beta poo poo it seems less abusive but I am prepared to eat my words if the cash shop costumes are a lot more expensive than they were before.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

walruscat posted:

It's true. I don't dislike the system but it would have been better if they just ripped off Tera's combat system.

That's the only comparable game with a better system though, and that game's everything else is terrible.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

That's the only comparable game with a better system though, and that game's everything else is terrible.

No doubt. There's a reason I'm playing this game. I'd rather grind like an indentured servant to get my progression than grind and spend my gold on scratch tickets in the hope that one day I'll progress.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Anal Papist posted:

Whoever designed the slayer class was out of their minds. I unlock my "R" Ultimate move which does 4k dmg on a 6 min cooldown compared to my "4" move which does 17k on a 40 sec cooldown.
It's actually useful on bosses unlike Zerker's. I keep forgetting to use it on boss fights because I never used my Zerker's so that muscle memory isn't there.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Everyone is missing the fact that you can make your dude really fat and then run around in a speedo. GOTY.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

walruscat posted:

I still don't remember having that much fun with TERA. People keep telling me it's combat was super loving awsome but I think they are just seeing it like how five rotten sandwiches are sitting on a platter next to one that is just simply stale. Everything about that game was extremely horrible but the combat was tolerable when you stood it next to the demented sexy children attitude they had going. gently caress they even needed to FORCE them to change all the little girl underwear to bloomers for the NA release because publishers saw that poo poo. Think about what it takes for them to say they needed to invest money to tone back the hosed up art team. The whole lot of them should have been fired at the concept art stage.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Tera's combat looked nice but it still carried the slow/chunky feel of mmo combat. Sure there was abit more dancing out of dangerous abilities, but thats kinda common in mmos now adays. Although I think that game may have been more generous when it came to melee cleaving multiple targets.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I played TERA some years back as a warrior, doing jumps and flips and whatever. I quit when I noticed pretty much all enemies were one big dude with twelve little dudes and I had two rotations. One when my big hitters were off cooldown and one when they were on cooldown and a drinking bird toy could've played the game for me. Add to that the cash shop and I really couldn't justify sticking around. Also the Elin, oh god the Elin.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

gently caress they even needed to FORCE them to change all the little girl underwear to bloomers for the NA release because publishers saw that poo poo.

This kind of cultural imperialism is the worst. 9000 year old cat demons trapped in the bodies of 12 year old girls with prolapsed rectums should not have to conform to the demeaning underwear sensibilities of the decadent west.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Admittedly, Tera had a lot wrong with it. Most obviously the Elin and the scratch ticket end game system of progression. It's combat system was amazing. The action combat wasn't perfectly fast and fluid like Devil May Cry (forgive me for the old reference, I no longer play console games), but it was an actual action combat system. You had to aim. They did have lock on skills, but you still had to mouse over your targets to get a lock on. You could dodge everything but rare lock on attacks. You could block with your shield and actually block an attack for a player standing behind you.

The boss fights were also amazing. No other mmo made gigantic monsters feel as gigantic and strong as Tera. I think the combat really felt amazing.

The pvp was also excellent. It took a very large gear difference for a bad player to be able to beat a good one.

It's a shame everything else about the game was terrible. It'd be amazing if some company just licensed their engine and made a better game with it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Anal Papist posted:

This kind of cultural imperialism is the worst. 9000 year old cat demons trapped in the bodies of 12 year old girls with prolapsed rectums should not have to conform to the demeaning underwear sensibilities of the decadent west.

Great username/post combo.

Edit:

In other news I decided to finish up getting costumes for all classes. Archer Hood + Mask + Barbarian Costume on Necromancer. You look like an executioner.

Edit 2:

OF DEATH

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

walruscat posted:

Admittedly, Tera had a lot wrong with it. Most obviously the Elin and the scratch ticket end game system of progression. It's combat system was amazing. The action combat wasn't perfectly fast and fluid like Devil May Cry (forgive me for the old reference, I no longer play console games), but it was an actual action combat system. You had to aim. They did have lock on skills, but you still had to mouse over your targets to get a lock on. You could dodge everything but rare lock on attacks. You could block with your shield and actually block an attack for a player standing behind you.

The boss fights were also amazing. No other mmo made gigantic monsters feel as gigantic and strong as Tera. I think the combat really felt amazing.

The pvp was also excellent. It took a very large gear difference for a bad player to be able to beat a good one.

It's a shame everything else about the game was terrible. It'd be amazing if some company just licensed their engine and made a better game with it.

In addition, a lot has happened with that game which has made it better. Elin are still around but the enchanting (aka scratch ticket) is far more forgiving than it used to be. Combat is incredibly fun and is the only MMO where I felt that every decision I made and my timing really mattered. A lot of classes feel very different thanks to this system. Skill matters more than RNG compared to any other MMO combat system that I have experienced. The only game coming out whose system looks like it might be just as satisfying is Black Desert but I have not played it yet so time will tell.

The thing about discussing TERA and its combat system is that it needs to be treated as a mutually exclusive element compared to the rest of the game. Not that every other aspect is bad, but a number of features do suck and they tend to get combined in the conversations about its combat system which I don't really think is productive beyond justifying whether or not to spend time playing the game extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I want to do massive burst damage to just melt things as fast as possible I should build Luck? I'm confused by all these loving stats

• Locked thread