Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

What if the Terminator was a dog that barked lazers?

Because that would make too much money. Film would implode on itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Terminator-based video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qek2AIfV34

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should make it like Trancers where time travel means you take deugs so that your concsiousness leaves your body and you possess the body of one of your ancestors in the past.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

What if the Terminator was a dog that barked lazers?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well poo poo. That's better than mine.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

No joke, I was thinking of that exact gif when I wrote that.

"My dogmeat barks Wazers" is based on a fake FO3 myth that if you give dogmeat the custom 'wazer wifle' he can equip and use it. I think someone ended up making that as a mod.

Also CeltPred that's a radical pun you have there

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Edit-- not worth it

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Hey man, we're just discussing alternative versions of terminator.
What if Terminator was a good guy and he ran for state senator? How would that impact canon?

What if...a facehugger got the terminator? Is there Xenonator fanart yet?

What if Cyberdyne got bought out...by weyland-yutani??

I'm so #creative

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What if Terminator was a good guy and he ran for state senator? How would that impact canon?

Just think, they could have gone for the easy joke in Genisys and said Pops literally became the Governator instead of a construction worker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hbomberguy posted:

Hey man, we're just discussing alternative versions of terminator.

What if...a facehugger got the terminator? Is there Xenonator fanart yet?

What if Cyberdyne got bought out...by weyland-yutani??

I'm so #creative
No need to be a condescending rear end in a top hat :)

Also the state senator idea kinda sorta happened in the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series. A Terminator goes back in time to like the 1930s or something and sets itself up as a business magnate.

And the xenonator idea happens in the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comics. It was a bad comic, and this is coming from a guy with no standards and a perpetual hardon for all things Aliens/Predator/Terminator.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 27, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hbomberguy posted:

Have him run for President and you've basically got Season 7 of Supernatural.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Xenomrph posted:

And the xenonator idea happens in the Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comics. It was a bad comic, and this is coming from a guy with no standards and a perpetual hardon for all things Aliens/Predator/Terminator.

That whole comic was a mess and I couldn't figure out what the whole point was. Did they ever do an Aliens/Term or Pred/Term comic?

That being said, I think you COULD do Aliens/Terminator or Predator/Terminator comic that could work first. Skynet discovers some facehugger egg and use Aliens as a bioweapon for destroying the Resistance. Predators show up on Earth to hunt human prey and discover they've walked into a war with the machines and need to fight their way back to their ship to keep it out of Skynet hands.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBA Starblade posted:

Just think, they could have gone for the easy joke in Genisys and said Pops literally became the Governator instead of a construction worker.
Man. I would've loved it if they actually did this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JediTalentAgent posted:

That whole comic was a mess and I couldn't figure out what the whole point was. Did they ever do an Aliens/Term or Pred/Term comic?

That being said, I think you COULD do Aliens/Terminator or Predator/Terminator comic that could work first. Skynet discovers some facehugger egg and use Aliens as a bioweapon for destroying the Resistance. Predators show up on Earth to hunt human prey and discover they've walked into a war with the machines and need to fight their way back to their ship to keep it out of Skynet hands.
They didn't, and thinking back I'm kinda surprised they didn't. Your idea for Predator/Terminator is pretty much exactly what popped into my head right away. Predator shows up, finds that much of earth is a nuclear-blasted hellscape, says "WTF" and tries to bug out, hijinks ensue.
I can even picture how the last panel would play out, it's really obvious. Predator mounts an endoskeleton skull on the trophy wall as the ship leaves earth

On the topic of Aliens/Terminator, I'd kicked around an idea for Terminator vs The Thing (like, the Carpenter movie), mostly based on the imagery of a Terminator learning the hard way that the cloned skin it's "wearing" is actually a Thing, and it Thinging-out and trying to kill the endoskeleton.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
As long as we're allowed to post stupid ideas by the Thread Thought Police, you could totally do a crossover with The Fly too (have the merge happen during the time displacement). Presumably bugs are still around in Laser Future since they would be impossible eradicate without killing all humans (outside of pseudo-biblical catastrophes like The Road, anyway). Terminators walking on the ceiling and melting people!! I would give one or maybe even two thoughts about buying that comic if it was on sale for next to nothing!!!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Xenomrph posted:

I can even picture how the last panel would play out, it's really obvious. Predator mounts an endoskeleton skull on the trophy wall as the ship leaves earth

Alternate ending: One of the Predators that goes back into space has glowing red eyes.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8c_eH81o8I

Edit: Didn't realize it was posted already. :happened:

Immortan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 28, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Should WWE Pictures be put in charge of the Terminator franchise, because that actually looked/felt exactly to what it was trying to homage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

JediTalentAgent posted:

Should WWE Pictures be put in charge of the Terminator franchise, because that actually looked/felt exactly to what it was trying to homage.
Yeah that was surprisingly accurate, I was watching it on my iPod and didn't realize at first that it wasn't T2 footage that had had old Arnie edited in for some reason.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What if Bill Paxton and his punk friends at the beginning of Terminator 1 kicked the poo poo out of the Terminator, because the Terminator is only used to deal with fatigued post-nuclear war pushovers?

JediTalentAgent posted:

Triple H, the new god of ridiculous and awesome entrances, has had a Terminator-themed entrance this year at Wrestlemania. Can't post videos right now but it's pretty awesome. And ridiculous.

edit: Screw my boss, found something better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qek2AIfV34

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
This is only tangential to the Terminator series itself, but I think I figured out how to well and truly short out discussion of the physics of time travel.

Normally, we think of time travel as being essentially movement along only a fourth temporal dimension to the same point in three-dimensional space. But that isn't how space works. The Earth, the solar system, and galaxy are constantly moving. The local group of galaxies is moving at 600 kilometers per second.

I really just want an excuse to share this thought.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hodgepodge posted:

This is only tangential to the Terminator series itself, but I think I figured out how to well and truly short out discussion of the physics of time travel.

Normally, we think of time travel as being essentially movement along only a fourth temporal dimension to the same point in three-dimensional space. But that isn't how space works. The Earth, the solar system, and galaxy are constantly moving. The local group of galaxies is moving at 600 kilometers per second.

What if... you could travel through space without moving in time?!?

makes u think

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

wow how original

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WarLocke posted:

makes u think

Wouldn't that just make you The Flash?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I travelled back in time to yesterday and immediately died in the vaccuum of space.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarLocke posted:

makes u think
Wouldn't that be a wormhole?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
A better question is how they deal with swapping out the present and future particles. All the molecules the atoms that make up a thing, like the Terminator or a human body already exist in the present as well as the future. When the atoms from 2029 arrive in 1984 you end up adding to the total mass of the universe, you have duplicates of the Terminator's particles. The ore that makes up its skeleton still exists in the mine or wherever, as well as being part of the individual walking around L.A. Now, the series does talk about using displacement, but you're not doing a one for one swap of atoms there, just changing out a same sized spherical area, but even then, it doesn't take into account swapping the same amount of mass, let alone the same particles as from the future.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Assuming the time travel is happening in one timeline, couldn't you say that the "too many" particles arriving in 1984 is balanced out by the particles leaving in 2029?

Alternately, perhaps that's what the electricity all over the place is when a time traveler arrives, it's matter being converted into energy?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Assuming the time travel is happening in one timeline, couldn't you say that the "too many" particles arriving in 1984 is balanced out by the particles leaving in 2029?

Alternately, perhaps that's what the electricity all over the place is when a time traveler arrives, it's matter being converted into energy?

It's not just a matter of swapping particles 1:1, it's having the same two particles in the same place at the same time. I suppose all the electricity could be explained as some kind of hoodoo to balance things out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Don't they call it a time displacement device or something at one point?

quote:

I travelled back in time to yesterday and immediately died in the vaccuum of space.

RIP in peace Hbomberguy. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Armyman25 posted:

It's not just a matter of swapping particles 1:1, it's having the same two particles in the same place at the same time. I suppose all the electricity could be explained as some kind of hoodoo to balance things out.
Well to be fair the particles wouldn't be in the exact same place at the same time, unless by "place" you mean "the entire universe".

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah I've seen the rule that "no energy/mass can be created or destroyed" being used as an argument against time travel, along with stuff about how entropy can only ever increase in closed systems. (Indeed black holes posed a problem because information/ordered systems could seemingly be "lost" and reduce the amount of entropy in the universe... Stephen Hawking got his nobel prize for coming up with "Hawking Radiation" which solved this.)

But if you consider all of the past and all of the future to be "the universe", then the universe is still a closed system, things are free to relocate within it. You could temporarily get more mass in one time, but that is balanced by the disappearance of mass in the time it came from. The total amount of mass in the whole existence of the universe doesn't change.

Of course, things get tricky is if you are able to change the past, and make it so that the time traveller never time travels in the first place. According to Terminator rules (all the movies and the tv series), the time traveller doesn't fade away Back to the Future style, they stay in existence. The time traveller could end up meeting their alternate, non-time travelling self. The universe would have slightly more mass than it was originally meant to have.

I don't think that is actually a problem, though. Sure, normally matter can't be created or destroyed, but I don't think the universe actually cares if the total mass in the universe is increased by the weight of a couple of people. You'd have to be time travelling entire planets or stars or galaxies before it started to have any impact on anything.

That reminds me of the plot of the little-known videogame RPG "Anachronox". The evil aliens are creating portals to suck planets from our universe and dump them into the previous universe that existed before ours. (According to the Big Bang/Big Crunch theory where the universe repeatedly expands and collapses.) Their plan is to reduce the mass of our universe enough so that it never has a big crunch, so they can erase the enemies who live in the universe that comes after ours. Pretty imaginative.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I did caveat my idea with "assuming there's one timeline" because off the top of my head I wasn't sure how to resolve the problem if "mass" is jumping from one timeline to another.
The Terminator series does have multiple timelines. :saddowns:

I guess you could hand wave it the same way you did, that "the universe" somehow encompasses "the multiverse that is made of multiple timelines".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's actually been shown already that very very small amounts of matter can come into existence (or disappear) as long as it goes back not long after.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

The Terminator series does have multiple timelines. :saddowns:

Genesis seems to indicate that there's only the one timeline, since Kyle gets sent back to '84 but everything is changed because there's already terminators and poo poo around years before that.

If it was multiple/branching timelines then Pops and the 'early T-1000' would have been shunted off into their own timelines when they were sent back, but instead everyone ends up in the same one.

e: Unless you go with some wacky branching tree timeline where going forward adds branches but going back consolidates them, so you have multiple different futures ending up in one shared 'root' but that would quickly get insane with like hundreds of T-800s showing up in '84 and oww my head...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarLocke posted:

Genesis seems to indicate that there's only the one timeline, since Kyle gets sent back to '84 but everything is changed because there's already terminators and poo poo around years before that.

If it was multiple/branching timelines then Pops and the 'early T-1000' would have been shunted off into their own timelines when they were sent back, but instead everyone ends up in the same one.

e: Unless you go with some wacky branching tree timeline where going forward adds branches but going back consolidates them, so you have multiple different futures ending up in one shared 'root' but that would quickly get insane with like hundreds of T-800s showing up in '84 and oww my head...
Yeah, I see it as branching timelines, which allows for things like T3 and the TV show to coexist.

I'm actually giving serious thought to doing a YouTube video series about it, just for chuckles. It would go movie by movie, looking at what evidence is presented as to how time travel and branching timelines works within the Terminator series, and then visually map out the path the narrative shows us as it hops between branches.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I see it as branching timelines, which allows for things like T3 and the TV show to coexist.

I'm actually giving serious thought to doing a YouTube video series about it, just for chuckles. It would go movie by movie, looking at what evidence is presented as to how time travel and branching timelines works within the Terminator series, and then visually map out the path the narrative shows us as it hops between branches.

It's already been done. :haw:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but they got it wrong :colbert:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did anyone notice the time machine looked nothing like the pictures from that guys fan fiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8KO6N0Jx0

• Locked thread