Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I bring unto the thread a spectacular gift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXXhFbhBw4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Why can anyone with a pulse have their own music video here?
Jesus H. Christ.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Barto posted:

Why can anyone with a pulse have their own music video here?
Jesus H. Christ.
I'm more surprised that someone with enough money to buy a Ferrari and tits can't even afford synchronized backup dancers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

This is a very effective anti-drug PSA video.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm more surprised that someone with enough money to buy a Ferrari and tits can't even afford synchronized backup dancers.

Priortitties.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Priortitties.
She didn't have prior titties, that's why she had to buy them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Looks like I get my typhoon day after all. Public works decided to replace the transformer that services the branch I work at today. No electricity, no class. Fun times.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yeah, had a great reminder Thursday about the importance of having a proper helmet and/or getting a camera for my bike. Pull out of my neighborhood and barely make it a couple of hundred meters before the lady in front of me suddenly jerks right and swerves into a parked truck. I stopped, flagged someone down (who spoke English) and got the ambulance out. Not sure what the hell happened, and neither did the lady, apparently.

Otherwise, how soon should we be expecting a ton of new posters in this thread :v:

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
6 months in, 4 months with my ARC, and I just today signed up for cell service. I was using prepaid and was being given unlimited 4G sim cards until that gravy train dried up last week.

I got 710 NT / month for unlimited 4G. I could've gotten an iPhone 6 64GB for 18,000, but based on Apple's release cycle there's a new iPhone coming out in 2-3 months so I didn't want to commit to that.

How bad did I get screwed or is anyone else on a better deal?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think I paid something like 18000 up front for 2 years, unlimited 4G as well, including phone (Xperia Z3.) This is from Taiwan Mobile. I had to put it in my girlfriend's name because my ARC was going to expire in 5 months and it needed to be at least 9 months. I'm gonna have to pay 2399 soon to switch it over to my name next month.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Assuming you didn't get a phone/sign a contract, 700-ish/month for unlimited data was what I was paying before I finally went for a phone subsidy and contract deal.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

politicorific posted:

6 months in, 4 months with my ARC, and I just today signed up for cell service. I was using prepaid and was being given unlimited 4G sim cards until that gravy train dried up last week.

I got 710 NT / month for unlimited 4G. I could've gotten an iPhone 6 64GB for 18,000, but based on Apple's release cycle there's a new iPhone coming out in 2-3 months so I didn't want to commit to that.

How bad did I get screwed or is anyone else on a better deal?

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Assuming you didn't get a phone/sign a contract

Key question here; are you on a month to month or are you on a contract?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Contract.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

gently caress yeah, I'm going back to Taiwan and Palau again.

5 days this time in Taipei.

this will be my third trip, any goons in town between the 4th and 10th of October?

might revisit a few places from 2010 if they're still there.
I remember a Szechuan restaurant down near Guting way, round tables. Vague I know.. maybe towards NTU.
also a Moslem restaurant, where you could write on the wall. Same area.

Also what's the best way to see Toroko gorge via scooter? Hualien and ride up?

pardon the spelling. pinyin on the phone.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

oh yeah. what should I do to get one week of mobile data?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Kommando posted:

Also what's the best way to see Toroko gorge via scooter? Hualien and ride up?

From what I understand, pretty much this is the best way. Train to Hualien and rent a scooter to ride up. The cross-island highway is blocked/closed/damaged or something, so not sure how far you can get.

Kommando posted:

oh yeah. what should I do to get one week of mobile data?

Pre-pay, sim card. You'll need two forms of ID. When I first got my phone they accepted my Passport and Ohio Driver's License, but that was in Taipei. Poke around, if one shop won't play ball with you, go to another. It'll probably be NT$300 for the SIM card plus whatever the data rates are.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

From what I understand, pretty much this is the best way. Train to Hualien and rent a scooter to ride up. The cross-island highway is blocked/closed/damaged or something, so not sure how far you can get.

Cool. I think that's what my ex did with me pillion in '10.
and that road falls off the mountain semi regularly iirc.

YF19pilot posted:

Pre-pay, sim card. You'll need two forms of ID. When I first got my phone they accepted my Passport and Ohio Driver's License, but that was in Taipei. Poke around, if one shop won't play ball with you, go to another. It'll probably be NT$300 for the SIM card plus whatever the data rates are.

sweet, easy.

any suggestions for things to see and do, I'll be travelling with my gf and maybe my workaholic parent/s so we've got the usual CKS, 101, zoo, 2/28, xiolongbao, Kings 56 icecream, night market stuff planned.
I was hoping to go see/photo the abandoned ufo houses this time. I've struggled to locate them on previous trip plans.

I'm also keen for your food recommendations. I'm determined to finally try stinky tofu

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kommando posted:

I was hoping to go see/photo the abandoned ufo houses this time. I've struggled to locate them on previous trip plans.
If you're wanting to do that, you're going to make sure you've packed a time machine :(

Oh, and if you want to try some real weird food, in Wulai there's an Aboriginal restaurant (泰雅婆婆, IIRC) that has on its menu, among other things, fried bees.

YF19pilot posted:

The Central Cross-Island Highway - the one that would get you straight over to Taroko from Taichung, more or less - has been (to varying degrees) closed since 1999 after the big ol' 921 quake ruined its poo poo (among many other things' poo poo).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

If you're wanting to do that, you're going to make sure you've packed a time machine :(

Oh, and if you want to try some real weird food, in Wulai there's an Aboriginal restaurant (泰雅婆婆, IIRC) that has on its menu, among other things, fried bees.

The Central Cross-Island Highway - the one that would get you straight over to Taroko from Taichung, more or less - has been (to varying degrees) closed since 1999 after the big ol' 921 quake ruined its poo poo (among many other things' poo poo).

Wulai. yeah. I went there. Hot springs and I learned the characters for 'mountain', 'pig', 'meat' and 'meat on a stick/kebab'.
I also got millet wine. it was awful.
I'd totally go back there. added to itinerary.

going g through toroko there were bits of road that were viaducts with the end ripped off and rebar hanging out over the new roadway, shiny black top.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TetsuoTW posted:

I've heard that, and I heard rumor that they've officially given up on being able to repair the entire road because of how damaged it was and how often it gets damaged by earthquakes and typhoons. Fixing it properly sounds like it would destroy too much of the landscape, which they want to avoid I guess. I don't know how much of that is true, it's mostly hearsay.

Otherwise, I've been poking around and trying to find out if the Southern Cross-Island Highway is open, but all I get is "that's a dangerous road" and that it was closed due to damage in 2013. Looks fun, but I don't feel like driving halfway up and having to turn back around.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, I've been poking around and trying to find out if the Southern Cross-Island Highway is open, but all I get is "that's a dangerous road" and that it was closed due to damage in 2013. Looks fun, but I don't feel like driving halfway up and having to turn back around.
I found a news story from the China Times from March this year that quotes the head of the responsible engineering works office as saying that "there are four bridges and a tunnel on the Southern Cross-Island Highway that need repair, as well as five sections of hillside highway being worked on. Work will continue into [2015], weather permitting, and the road is expected to be safe enough to be conditionally open to light vehicles by this November."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hi. Visiting a friend for a couple of weeks in Taipei with a couple of other friends, and we were looking for things to do. We are staying right next to the Ming Chi University of Technology in the Taishan District, and we love watching movies and drinking beers. English Karoake would also be pretty keen. Anyone have any recommendations close-by? Also ideas for other activities. Gonna go through a lot of this thread to look for others.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ha ha ha.

One of the more well known HESS trainers just posted a photo of himself sitting in one of the more swank looking lobby areas of the Taipei main branch, with the tag-line of "this is what it's like to work in Taiwan." loving, lol, my boss had to buy his own office chair when the branch manager wouldn't cough up the money because his previous one was "still okay enough."

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Ha ha ha.

One of the more well known HESS trainers just posted a photo of himself sitting in one of the more swank looking lobby areas of the Taipei main branch, with the tag-line of "this is what it's like to work in Taiwan." loving, lol, my boss had to buy his own office chair when the branch manager wouldn't cough up the money because his previous one was "still okay enough."

Was it Gavin? Please say it was Gavin.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Moon Slayer posted:

Was it Gavin? Please say it was Gavin.

No, it was Derek. I'd like the pics here, but I don't know if that's kosher or not.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YF19pilot posted:

No, it was Derek. I'd like the pics here, but I don't know if that's kosher or not.

Yeah I see them too. I'm pretty glad to be out of HESS now.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
All of the Hess trainers are insufferable assholes imo

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When I went through training (four years ago ... good lord) I remember it being about 50/50. Half were generally cool people trying to cut through the bullshit and give actual helpful advice for new teachers, and half had obviously drunk the HESS kool-aid.

Also I really loved working in the Taichung area and getting the HESS newsletter advertising their big Christmas party and then reading "only available to NSTs in the Taipei area" at the bottom.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
There was that Kiwi dude, he was cool, but I think he got fired

But man gently caress that other guy. I won't say his name cuz idk about that, but it starts with J. God I hated him so much

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I was once unwise enough to leave negative feedback for the trainers and then mysteriously got extra homework for part of the training I'd missed. My boss said J didn't normally do that.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

House Louse posted:

I was once unwise enough to leave negative feedback for the trainers and then mysteriously got extra homework for part of the training I'd missed. My boss said J didn't normally do that.
he did the exact same loving thing to me

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

holy cow, what did you do?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So is like Hess the only job on the island or what?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hess is the biggest buxiban chain, and when compared to others, it is reliable. If I were to work at a buxiban again I would probably go back to Hess or Joy; all the others are alot more sketchy in regards to proper tax/payment. If you want to make sure you don't get hosed in that way, stay with the big companies. I worked for Hess for almost 3 years and I never had a pay problem. When I came in they did change two things: raises and bonuses. Raises used to be 20-40 NT a year and they changed the max to only be 20. Their yearly bonus system to be alot worse as well: it used to be 30,000 NT a year, which changed to 15,000, and you get paid for last years work until the end of your next contract, so I worked there 33 months and only got 1 yearly bonus. HESS also really only hires people new to the island because they bring people over. So you have people who work for HESS and leave after 2-3 years complain about it because it doesn't pay that well. I can't remember how many thread regulars work/worked as HESS but it seems like close to half.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I think it's the easiest place to get a job without being in the country?

There are loads of great schools. Tons of sketchy ones. I'm sure that Taipei has chain schools that are all reputable.

Kaohsiung has HESS / Joy / KNS / Schoolhouse / Macmillan

thegoat fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 29, 2015

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HESS really makes moving to Taiwan easy. They interview you while you are still overseas, help you with paperwork, pick you up at the airport and put you in a hotel for training, arrange transport to whatever branch you wind up at and assist you with getting housing. There are disadvantages (comparatively low pay, plenty of corporate BS on top of the usual buxiban stuff) but if you are like me and wouldn't be comfortable just flying into a strange country without knowing anybody or the language and hitting the streets looking for work they make things pretty easy. I doubt I'd be in Taiwan without them.

And as far as I know, they're the only major chain school here that does that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't know about today, but back in 2003 Shane promised more or less that, including like a week or two's training before leaving the country. Given the number of Shane schools I see around Taipei these days, though, I can't imagine they still bother.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Moon Slayer posted:

HESS really makes moving to Taiwan easy. They interview you while you are still overseas, help you with paperwork, pick you up at the airport and put you in a hotel for training, arrange transport to whatever branch you wind up at and assist you with getting housing. There are disadvantages (comparatively low pay, plenty of corporate BS on top of the usual buxiban stuff) but if you are like me and wouldn't be comfortable just flying into a strange country without knowing anybody or the language and hitting the streets looking for work they make things pretty easy. I doubt I'd be in Taiwan without them.

And as far as I know, they're the only major chain school here that does that.

Kojen does all that stuff as well. Or they did 7 years ago when I first came here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
That isn't to say there aren't reliable buxibans outside of the big chains. I worked at the same place for five years and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, but there's fewer of them, and you can't really spot them from outside the island. Whatever you think about Hess, it's great for newbies.

Seeing we're into buxibanchat, though, how flexible are other schools with contract length? Hess is pretty much only 6 month or a year, curious if less corporate places are the same.