Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scut posted:

Did you draw these manually or is this like a unicode thing? I love it! I wish something like this was a standard in apps like pyxel edit.

Manually. It was half anti-aliasing exploration and half arty disintegration of type. I cheated a whole bunch by flipping tiles too :ssh:

Xibanya posted:

Holy crap that looks AMAZING! What you did really made the sprite pop, I will definitely try to apply what you've said going forward. Ooo now looking up tutorials on color ramps. I'm so glad you were able to put into words why the sprites just seemed kinda blah. I will now go and un-blah them!

As I said, it's all stuff that literally everybody does when starting out. Check out these links if you haven't already (second one's more theory-based), pay special attention to anything that mentions "clusters", which are imo the most important things in creating solid pixel art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

fun with dither patterns :sun:

Agreed with what others have said. In terms of rendering, you're falling into the same traps everybody does:

— colour ramps that are basically just +black and +white, instead of variance in hue & saturation throughout. This is what causes the colour disunity you were talking about; the boots & skirt are yellow, yellow, yellow; the other clothing is purple, purple, purple etc. It makes things feel dead & paint by numbers.

— too little contrast! the temptation is always to do tons of minute increments between shades, but this just makes everything lose definition and look flat – really important for sprites in particular

— colour management! Not just for ~pixel purist~ reasons – it just helps you keep control of everything, say if you wanted to change the colour of the tights to green or something. You've got a ton of duplicate colours in there, possibly because you used a tool with automatic anti-aliasing/partial transparency somewhere.

good job avoiding dither though; it's murder to animate & often gets overused

here's a 14 colour version applying that stuff:

That is a big improvement, but you lost some of the brightness of the skirt. I thought the bright yellow really popped in a good way. I think it should be possible to have this cake and eat it too.

e: phone posting, so my s3 display may be munging the colors, too.

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 10, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Getting back into gear again. need to push things further. get more better-er.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I applied what was said about colors to this character select portrait of one of the other characters:

I know Exclamation Marx said no dithering but this image won't ever be animated and I wanted to make his beard more...beardy?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Xibanya posted:

I applied what was said about colors to this character select portrait of one of the other characters:

I know Exclamation Marx said no dithering but this image won't ever be animated and I wanted to make his beard more...beardy?

I'm gonna get poo poo for this, but: this reminds me a little too much of one of Scud's palettes, and not in a good way; you've got BROWN and BLUE and not a whole lot else. Unless this character is a zombie, I really recommend you at least reconsider the base skin color.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Besesoth posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo for this, but: this reminds me a little too much of one of Scud's palettes, and not in a good way; you've got BROWN and BLUE and not a whole lot else. Unless this character is a zombie, I really recommend you at least reconsider the base skin color.

part of it is that his outfit (on the in-match sprite, which shows the full body) has red stuff but that doesn't show up in the character portrait, so when I was trying to constrain the color palette the red ramps led to the skin color you see here. Should I use a different scheme for the character select portrait?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps a red background?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Xibanya posted:

The dither on his beard is a little *too* noisy. Maybe try a more ordered dither with lines that follow the direction of hair growth.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Might be just me but I feel like dithering is going to always feel noisy if it's only applied to one element of an image while the rest is shaded w another method.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Improvement?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

the chaos engine posted:

Might be just me but I feel like dithering is going to always feel noisy if it's only applied to one element of an image while the rest is shaded w another method.

that too, yeah.

Xibanya posted:

Improvement?

Much better!

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
Might as well post this bad boy.

It's a simple pixel piece of Satoru Iwata, meant to resemble more traditional mediums.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I asked a client what kind of AOE spells they would like and they said to do what I felt like so

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Goddamn shoe you're getting really good at this

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I asked a client what kind of AOE spells they would like and they said to do what I felt like so

I love it.

I'm terrible at pixel art and getting worse everyday but I think it would be funny if a second smaller stone statue fell on the first and that is why it cracks and falls apart.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Or a little hammer than then spins away :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
More things!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Shoehead posted:

More things!

Little nekkid bloke is in no mood for this magic poo poo. :v:

That's really good though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can hear the appropriate sound effect in my head when I see it.

That's a kind of effect where I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of palette-shifted variants for different buffs in the game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 20, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

More spiraling spells, this one for a heal!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
so good

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Great snappy motion. The little falling particle leftovers are a good touch.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Aint no gettin off this train

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Shoehead posted:

Aint no gettin off this train

Fig Leaf Man wasn't even supposed to be here today.

(Looks good! I like the little floating leaf at the end.)

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Trying to make something something.. it's pretty barren still and the lines all over the place are temporary until I figure out something to do with it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Imaginary Friend posted:

Trying to make something something.. it's pretty barren still and the lines all over the place are temporary until I figure out something to do with it.

drat that is already gorgeous

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Besesoth posted:

Fig Leaf Man wasn't even supposed to be here today.

(Looks good! I like the little floating leaf at the end.)

Yeah! Honestly it'd be cooler with a bunch more.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Or maybe a couple small branches off the main vine?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Shoehead posted:

drat that is already gorgeous
Haha cheers, I'm having a hard time getting it as I want in my head though >_<

Here's an update. The building isn't fully rendered yet.

ninja-edit
Added truck.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 28, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Imaginary Friend posted:

Haha cheers, I'm having a hard time getting it as I want in my head though >_<

Here's an update. The building isn't fully rendered yet.

ninja-edit
Added truck.

If you can, you might want to emphasize the ampersand-ness of the &; I read it as "BARBCAR" for a bit before I figured it out. Otherwise, I love this aesthetic. You're doing a great job of making a couple pixels do the talking. And the burned-out A is great!

I also really like how tall the image is compared to the detail.Is this for a phone game?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Besesoth posted:

If you can, you might want to emphasize the ampersand-ness of the &; I read it as "BARBCAR" for a bit before I figured it out. Otherwise, I love this aesthetic. You're doing a great job of making a couple pixels do the talking. And the burned-out A is great!

I also really like how tall the image is compared to the detail.Is this for a phone game?
Cheers for the feedback. How's this? Went for a more contemporary approach on the gas station since that's when the theme is set for it. Also realized I
did the whole thing for 32x32 characters instead of 48x48 as before so that sucks >_<

Also, it's for PC. The size is due to the map being like that later. The title screen will be in the sky and the view will scroll down to the ground level when starting a new game.

edit
Walking and idle testing.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 29, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

traaaaaash

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 28, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Try extending the time that the torso bobs down by an extra frame, it should add more visual weight I think.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scut posted:

Try extending the time that the torso bobs down by an extra frame, it should add more visual weight I think.

better?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think so, how do you feel about it? The torso bob seems to be coming one frame too soon. Imagine that the shock of the foot planting on the ground takes a moment to transfer up to the torso, so it will 'lag' a bit. Of course I'm assuming this thing is large and very heavy. Perhaps it is not intended to be.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
hmm.. it's meant to be fairly big if I were to consider scale, but it's mostly in space settings. The problem is the thing needs to be able to move into position fast, so I don't want to tie it's movement up too much with the foot plant. To really get the effect across better, I'd have to add another frame I think? I can try that and see if it'll work.

E: wow okay i guess I was worried over nothing. the extra frame really helps and it doesn't hold anything back.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2015

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Scut posted:

I think so, how do you feel about it? The torso bob seems to be coming one frame too soon. Imagine that the shock of the foot planting on the ground takes a moment to transfer up to the torso, so it will 'lag' a bit. Of course I'm assuming this thing is large and very heavy. Perhaps it is not intended to be.

I actually have exactly the opposite impression: it needs to be a frame earlier. The torso bob isn't shock traveling up, it's the front leg landing on the ground and then the torso correcting for the difference in height. (If it were shock traveling up, the torso bob would be upward, not downward.) Coordinate the torso bob with the foot landing, and it'll look right to me.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I guess there's two versions of it now.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 29, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
There are a few good shots of an ostrich running toward the camera in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WcMRpozO4s

Maybe there's some reference for what bobs when in there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Imaginary Friend posted:

Cheers for the feedback. How's this? Went for a more contemporary approach on the gas station since that's when the theme is set for it. Also realized I
did the whole thing for 32x32 characters instead of 48x48 as before so that sucks >_<

Ampersands aren't shaped like an 8 with a dash like you've done. Which is why it doesn't read as an ampersand at first and confuses the brain into interpreting it as a B.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 29, 2015