Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

VideoTapir posted:

So who is getting fired over this?

The immediate fault lies with the guy who named and/or uploaded the files to the adult swim servers, the guy who leaked them said episodes 1-5 were all uploaded with the same filename format and he just changed the numbers. He said he was trying to download episode 4 when they seemed to be removed.

But there are probably other dumb things with their server setup that made this easy too. I'm not sure how huge companies that deal significantly in digital media make mistakes like that these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ror posted:

The immediate fault lies with the guy who named and/or uploaded the files to the adult swim servers, the guy who leaked them said episodes 1-5 were all uploaded with the same filename format and he just changed the numbers. He said he was trying to download episode 4 when they seemed to be removed.

But there are probably other dumb things with their server setup that made this easy too. I'm not sure how huge companies that deal significantly in digital media make mistakes like that these days.

Yeah it seems like almost every show I follow has had something along the lines of this happen within the last year, or, even better, when iTunes accidentally releases an episode too early. I have no idea how this can continue happening as often as it does.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

So who is getting fired over this?

Dan Harmon. He will somehow get the blame, season 3 will be lacklustre but with moments of brilliance, he will come back for an abbreviated season 4 and season 5 will end up being streamed on instagram's new video platform.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

HERAK posted:

Dan Harmon. He will somehow get the blame, season 3 will be lacklustre but with moments of brilliance, he will come back for an abbreviated season 4 and season 5 will end up being streamed on instagram's new video platform.

That would be mega-meta.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
All I'll say about episode 3 is, Patton Oswald.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

All I'll say about episode 3 is, Patton Oswald.

Also Christina Hendrix.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the song at the end of episode 3? I can't seem to google it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

All I'll say about episode 3 is
Shut up

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Entropic posted:

What's the song at the end of episode 3? I can't seem to google it.

Do you feel it?
by Chaos Chaos

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
satan bless tbs for leaving a server unsecured

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Toxxupation posted:

holy loving poo poo guys the third episode of rick and morty

jesus CHRIST

I don't know, I would rather the thread just talk about Community again.

:ducksiren:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
cant take these dark as gently caress endings

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Brightman posted:

Oh, at the very end with the two testicle monsters I noticed that some rodent hopped into their bubble in dinosaur times and hopped out a lot later, which amuses me and I hope there will be consequences to that but I super doubt it.

A bit late on this, but when I watched it it looked like the rat walked out of the bubble right as they were over nothing but water and just fell right in. Poor little guy.

Also goddamnit now I have to weigh the pros and cons of satisfying my desire for a new episode right now vs. having a new episode to look forward to after next week.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

Where was this from? I want to live on the alternate planet where Donald Glover is still on the show.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 29, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fix those tags, man

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Probably from the leaked episode, incidentally I see spoiler bars can't handle timg.

Also that's a pretty lovely spoiler image because I can deciper exactly what the episode is now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Probably from the leaked episode, incidentally I see spoiler bars can't handle timg.

Also that's a pretty lovely spoiler image because I can deciper exactly what the episode is now.

I highly doubt that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I guarantee it's not what you think.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, I guarantee it's not what you think.

Agreed, but I'm curious to hear what he thinks it's about.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
In the leaked episode, I didn't think they could pull off another rixty minutes but they did. The whole scene with the holocaust was a bit much.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Megaspel posted:

In the leaked episode, I didn't think they could pull off another rixty minutes but they did. The whole scene with the holocaust was a bit much.

heh, first race war? :smug:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Where was this from? I want to live on the alternate planet where Donald Glover is still on the show.

it's CommUnity

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

In the leaked episode what's the name of the song that plays over the credits?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

text editor posted:

it's CommUnity

I feel dumb for only just getting that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Agreed, but I'm curious to hear what he thinks it's about.
It looks like the next Rixty Minutes.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In the leaked episode what's the name of the song that plays over the credits?

https://soundcloud.com/chaoschaos/do-you-feel-it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Was the fat guy at the news stand George Takei?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
making GBS threads loving goddamn I was not expecting that ending (for the leak). Felt a little unearned, but good loving god, it had impact.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

r0ck0 posted:

Do you feel it?
by Chaos Chaos

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMg1BxM6zbo

(check the first comment)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JT Jag posted:

It looks like the next Rixty Minutes.

It isn't. That spoiler-tagged picture is a short gag in an episode about something very different.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Ror posted:

Wouldn't CommUnity Shirley and Troy have cone/ring nipples instead of being another color?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

cultureulterior posted:

Wouldn't CommUnity Shirley and Troy have cone/ring nipples instead of being another color?

Only if they're natives of that planet. They were shipping in all kinds of nonsense from everywhere once the substances were flowing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

God drat that ending.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

cultureulterior posted:

Yeah, but how would you make that obvious to the viewer? Especially in Shirley's case.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Its clear they're trying to make the shows seem emotionally deep, but honestly, I felt the pathos was unearned.

I think the show is close to earning it, but missing in small ways. For example, I don't know if I totally buy Rick's affection for Morty in the premiere as it seems a little of out of left field. Likewise the concern he shows for his grandchildren in the newly leaked episode was surprising, and the argument between Beth and Jerry was kind of awkwardly expository. That's not to say that these first three episodes aren't good; they've been really funny and entertaining, with some room for improvement in the domain of earning these "emotionally deep" moments.

Considering Dino Stamatopoulos' relationship with Rick & Morty (through Starburns) and Dan Harmon, I really think the show's staff should look to Moral Orel for how to turn something that on the surface is very silly and funny into something dark and poignant.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 29, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm very fond of this cartoon, but the bits with Beth and Jerry are often the worst stuff and feel like such lazy filler that sometimes I wonder if I'm watching a completely different show. Jerry alone, or Beth alone, or either one with other members of the cast all work fine, but the two of them together just turns into the most hackneyed of milquetoast sideshows. And I know that's the point, but the show doesn't subvert it nearly enough for the shtick to actually function as a gag the vast majority of the time.

The alien mic drop moment in the leaked episode is a perfect example of when and why it doesn't work. Having someone just stand there and soliloquize about why these two people are lovely and lovely together isn't any kind of shocking reveal, and there isn't even any schadenfreude at seeing them get busted down because we've already listen to the two bicker for something like half the episode and all you want is for all of them to just shut the hell up so we can get back to the manic-depressive space-man hijinks.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Nichael posted:

Likewise the concern he shows for his grandchildren in the newly leaked episode was surprising, and the argument between Beth and Jerry was kind of awkwardly expository.

It felt to me like they foreshadowing a divorce storyline.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The alien mic drop moment in the leaked episode is a perfect example of when and why it doesn't work. Having someone just stand there and soliloquize about why these two people are lovely and lovely together isn't any kind of shocking reveal, and there isn't even any schadenfreude at seeing them get busted down because we've already listen to the two bicker for something like half the episode and all you want is for all of them to just shut the hell up so we can get back to the manic-depressive space-man hijinks.
The alien's monologue was rather lazy writing, and seemed like something out of a worse sitcom. The idea of it being a horrible monster delivering that speech to subvert that kind of television writing crutch wasn't really enough to keep it interesting. I hope the show learns to handle these moments better because I like its intent with them.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Jesus Christ. :stare:

Was it me, or did Rick deliberately euthanize the thing he unfroze before trying to kill himself?

I mean I sort of get the feeling that he could have just been testing it, but... goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rougey posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

Was it me, or did Rick deliberately euthanize the thing he unfroze before trying to kill himself?

I mean I sort of get the feeling that he could have just been testing it, but... goddamn.

I feel a little embarrassed, but I'm not really sure what was occurring in that scene before the credits.

• Locked thread