Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Minenfeld! posted:

Scheming? In Connecticut? You don't say!

So are we doing full-on tolling of major roads or just border tolling? I live in the Danbury area and have a reasonable relationship with our senator. We had discussed tolling last October briefly, but he had mentioned that perhaps there'd be some sort of out-of-state commuter tax break for residents that drive over the border here every day. The side roads here around 84 at the New York border are always clogged come rush hour by people trying to avoid the traffic in Danbury as it is. I can't imagine what that'll be like if the traffic level increases based on the scenario the 2009 study showed.

That being said, I would be cool with a toll on Route 25 so long as the toll money went towards making 25 not suck from 84 to the expressway portion. Bonus points if the tolls charge trucks from New Jersey 20x the fare for cars.

84, 95, and... I forget, but one other major route will be tolled every six miles, border-to-border. ENJOY~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Koesj posted:

New Central European primary roads have a shitload of fauna measures included, really top notch from what I saw last week.
Is it uncommon with game fences around 130 km/h motorways in the Netherlands? I seem to remember driving a lot without them in the North. Coming from Sweden it's pretty shocking.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

84, 95, and... I forget, but one other major route will be tolled every six miles, border-to-border. ENJOY~

I'd heard 91 and the Merritt mentioned. But tolls every six miles? The hell?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Minenfeld! posted:

If it was the Merritt, it'd have to be electronic only tolling.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Minenfeld! posted:

In for a penny, in for a pound. The Feds gave CT a grant to study "value pricing" (Lexus lanes) on I-95 and a tiny stretch of I-84. They're going to use that as the foot in the door to put tolls throughout the state. All the important state legislators are being individually "convinced" by industry insiders with deep pockets.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Want to drive through Fairfield County on a road with more than one lane in each direction? Pay up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Want to drive through Fairfield County

It's better than stopping there, sure. I'd pay plenty of money to leave.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Groda posted:

Is it uncommon with game fences around 130 km/h motorways in the Netherlands? I seem to remember driving a lot without them in the North. Coming from Sweden it's pretty shocking.

What game? Land consolidation/enclosure, (sub)urbanization, and a very strict planning culture have shoved large animals into small, very heavily managed areas. If you're talking about the North of the NL, there have been some recent developments in fencing/nature bridges along the A28 near the Dwingelderveld, but IIRC this was done in anticipation of an extension of the national 'main ecological structure' to the other side of the freeway. We've been investing in a lot of fauna measures in order to reintroduce, rather than to mitigate existing safety concerns.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Koesj posted:

What game? Land consolidation/enclosure, (sub)urbanization, and a very strict planning culture have shoved large animals into small, very heavily managed areas. If you're talking about the North of the NL, there have been some recent developments in fencing/nature bridges along the A28 near the Dwingelderveld, but IIRC this was done in anticipation of an extension of the national 'main ecological structure' to the other side of the freeway. We've been investing in a lot of fauna measures in order to reintroduce, rather than to mitigate existing safety concerns.

This, and the fences I remember were placed a little bit into the forest, so that you would not spot them easily from the highway. I'm sure they were there around the Dwingelderveld and Veluwe for example, just not directly next to the road. We do have roe deer roaming around in the north and east in the countryside, even outside of the national parks, so there must have been some fencing already for that. There are certainly traffic signs that warn of them on smaller roads.
But indeed, the general trend is that the 'nature' we have is fenced in, rather than roads and built-up areas being fenced in, because all of our nature is fake.

e: We also have these things in some places:

It reflects headlamp light off to the side whenever a car approaches, to scare any animals with ideas of crossing back into the forest. This way they will hopefully only cross when no car is coming.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 20, 2015

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Entropist posted:

It reflects headlamp light off to the side whenever a car approaches, to scare any animals with ideas of crossing back into the forest. This way they will hopefully only cross when no car is coming.

Thats a neat idea, though would need to be placed every so often to be effective, if it even is. Though could cause the "deer in headlights" which would solve the problem too as they would stop moving. But better than a whistle that you could possibly hear drive by on a car.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

drgnwr1 posted:

Thats a neat idea, though would need to be placed every so often to be effective, if it even is.

They're attached to hectometer markers, so they are placed every 100m. I have no idea how effective they are, but they're probably cheap so it doesn't cost much to try.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Cichlidae posted:

I-95 will be the next freeway to get its exits renumbered, by the way. Between New York and New Haven, there are exits about every mile or so, so there won't be much of a change. On the other hand, "EXIT 2 OLD EXIT 77" creates less potential ambiguity than "EXIT 2 OLD EXIT 3" does.

Oh my god, they're actually going to re-number i95 exits? DC will descend into chaos.

I haven't checked the thread in forever (literally thousands of new posts, decided to take a look today on a lark), is there a page that summarizes why this is being done? If there isn't, well, can we summarize why this is being done? :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh my god, they're actually going to re-number i95 exits? DC will descend into chaos.

I haven't checked the thread in forever (literally thousands of new posts, decided to take a look today on a lark), is there a page that summarizes why this is being done? If there isn't, well, can we summarize why this is being done? :v:

It's national standard to have your exits be either mile-based or kilometer-based, with use of suffixes if there's too many exist too close together. CT is a relatively alte holdout in not doing it, along with like Massachusetts and a few others.

Generally, in most of the country you'll only see sequential numbers on short spur freeways, or long distance toll roads with very few exits (and many of those have transferred to mileage based).

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 20, 2015

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0251288,-76.1764711,16z

what would be a cheap, theoretical way to slow down traffic along the stretch of Geddes St. shown there, between Glenwood and Stolp? Geddes is a pretty well-traveled road, and because it's reasonably flat / straight / wide / smooth it's easy to go 10mph over the limit down that stretch without realizing it ( and much faster if you realize it but don't care ). There's a four-way stop at Stolp, a four-way stop at Arden, and a hideous clusterfuck of a five-way stop at Glenwood. People in the neighborhood have suggested more stop signs ( despite many complaints about people blowing through the three / four-ways in the neighborhood ) and speed bumps, but I feel like there has to be a more useful option aside from running heavy machinery up and down the road for a while to destroy texture the pavement a bit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sure people have actual stats, but I've noticed when places try to deal with speeding on long straight wide roads with high visibility by installing humps or stop signs drivers just get even more aggressive between them. The road feels like it should be fast, and the "pointless" stop signs infuriate them.

If you want to slow down the road you have to make it not feel safe to speed on. Narrow the lanes by adding medians down the middle, get some trees and parked cars along the edge. If there's space, you can even add some gentle curves via medians/planters along the sides. Basically people will always ignore speed limits and drive as fast as the road feels safe to them. In our quest to make roads "safer" by removing trees, widening lanes, improving sight lines, we've generally just made the roads faster vs actually safer, because people will always just go as fast as they feel safe. What's dangerous is when a road gives the illusion of safety for speeding when it isn't, and what is great road design is when a road feels much more dangerous than it actually is. That gets drivers to slow down and pay attention.

A street near my old place was a wider than normal residential street and it was between two more important roads, so a lot of people would speed down it. They ended up talking to the residents and found most of them agreed to give up some of the street parking for a few blocks to build some big curved planters to create narrow chicanes. Seemed to have worked out because I notice way less traffic on that street plus everyone goes about the speed limit because that's about as fast as you can go and safely navigate the area due to the narrow chicanes and limited visibility from parked cars and tons of side streets.

For your specific case of this Geddes St the main problem is that the road is super wide and straight. I assume those are bike lanes on the sides? Even without the bike lanes those lanes seem really wide compared to the cars I can see on street view. The cheapest actually effective thing I'd do for this road is provide a physical barrier between the car lanes and the bike lanes so the car lanes actually feel physically narrow and the bike lanes are more than just big paved shoulders. It doesn't have to rip up the road, it could be some K-barriers and some big concrete planters. A couple medians near the intersections would help too but would involve road work.

But honestly a little residential street like that, does it even need bike lanes? Get the traffic slow and reduced, add parked cars, should be fine for everyone.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 20, 2015

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure people have actual stats, but I've noticed when places try to deal with speeding on long straight wide roads with high visibility by installing humps or stop signs drivers just get even more aggressive between them. The road feels like it should be fast, and the "pointless" stop signs infuriate them.

If you want to slow down the road you have to make it not feel safe to speed on. Narrow the lanes by adding medians down the middle, get some trees and parked cars along the edge. If there's space, you can even add some gentle curves via medians/planters along the sides. Basically people will always ignore speed limits and drive as fast as the road feels safe to them. In our quest to make roads "safer" by removing trees, widening lanes, improving sight lines, we've generally just made the roads faster vs actually safer, because people will always just go as fast as they feel safe. What's dangerous is when a road gives the illusion of safety for speeding when it isn't, and what is great road design is when a road feels much more dangerous than it actually is. That gets drivers to slow down and pay attention.

A street near my old place was a wider than normal residential street and it was between two more important roads, so a lot of people would speed down it. They ended up talking to the residents and found most of them agreed to give up some of the street parking for a few blocks to build some big curved planters to create narrow chicanes. Seemed to have worked out because I notice way less traffic on that street plus everyone goes about the speed limit because that's about as fast as you can go and safely navigate the area due to the narrow chicanes and limited visibility from parked cars and tons of side streets.

For your specific case of this Geddes St the main problem is that the road is super wide and straight. I assume those are bike lanes on the sides? Even without the bike lanes those lanes seem really wide compared to the cars I can see on street view. The cheapest actually effective thing I'd do for this road is provide a physical barrier between the car lanes and the bike lanes so the car lanes actually feel physically narrow and the bike lanes are more than just big paved shoulders. It doesn't have to rip up the road, it could be some K-barriers and some big concrete planters. A couple medians near the intersections would help too but would involve road work.

But honestly a little residential street like that, does it even need bike lanes? Get the traffic slow and reduced, add parked cars, should be fine for everyone.

the white lines on both sides delineate street parking. It's usually more occupied on the side of the street with houses than the Street View pictures show ( the issue was raised because of a few recent hit-and-runs on parked cars there ), but no one save the occasional utility truck ever parks on the side where the reservoir is.

It's not really a 'little residential street' ... despite its size it's an artery of sorts for the SW side of the city, since it's become a main route for going from the southern suburbs into the city as well as getting bus / car traffic for probably four or five nearby schools.

triple clutcher fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 20, 2015

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cichlidae posted:

In for a penny, in for a pound. The Feds gave CT a grant to study "value pricing" (Lexus lanes) on I-95 and a tiny stretch of I-84. They're going to use that as the foot in the door to put tolls throughout the state. All the important state legislators are being individually "convinced" by industry insiders with deep pockets.

Is this being done as a congestion pricing scheme, a revenue scheme, or both? The public hasn't had any recommendations from that transportation funding panel yet--is tolling going to end up being one of their recommendations?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

triple clutcher posted:

It's not really a 'little residential street' ... despite its size it's an artery of sorts for the SW side of the city, since it's become a main route for going from the southern suburbs into the city as well as getting bus / car traffic for probably four or five nearby schools.
So maybe you up the speed limit and remove the stops on the through directions? Progress marches on...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

triple clutcher posted:

the white lines on both sides delineate street parking. It's usually more occupied on the side of the street with houses than the Street View pictures show ( the issue was raised because of a few recent hit-and-runs on parked cars there ), but no one save the occasional utility truck ever parks on the side where the reservoir is.

It's weird to have all that street parking and not have it used. I guess they need to add some little planted bump-outs here and there to narrow the road, along with medians, and I guess if it's actually a major local route, some proper bike lanes too. Probably just need to get rid of parking on one side and you can fit it all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

triple clutcher posted:

Yeah, seriously, they need to make it look like not a 55mph highway. It just doesn't look like a 30mph street to a driver.
That said, hitting parked cars is not a speed problem, that is a distracted or stupid driver problem.

I think shrinking it with k-rails (or something better looking) and creating a separate bike path is a great idea.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nm posted:

I think shrinking it with k-rails (or something better looking) and creating a separate bike path is a great idea.

That'd be a good idea. Plus, dump the unwarranted stops.

Minenfeld! posted:

Is this being done as a congestion pricing scheme, a revenue scheme, or both? The public hasn't had any recommendations from that transportation funding panel yet--is tolling going to end up being one of their recommendations?

Both, but mostly just funding. They'll use the congestion pricing as the carrot. "If you're richer than average, your commute will get better! If not, you get to pay for billions of dollars of freeway widening and might spend an hour or two less in traffic once the whole thing gets built!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cross posting from the Schadenfreude thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LJPZDtOfS8

What traffic engineer thought installing a speed hump in the middle of what looks to be a freeway was a good idea??

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

What traffic engineer thought installing a speed hump in the middle of what looks to be a freeway was a good idea??

The Saudi boss of a traffic engineer who didn't want to get his work visa rescinded and sent back to Iraq with 48 hours notice, on the other hand.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's temp bumps at roadworks all the time in the Middle East, because idiots will keep speeding into traffic cones, jams, and workers.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

There's temp bumps at roadworks all the time in the Middle East, because idiots will keep speeding into traffic cones, jams, and workers.

They don't do much good if drivers don't see them, though...

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That is a second-order issue wayyy too complicated to be covered by anything more than Inshallah, Bukra, and Malesh.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
OP, have you played Cities: Skylines? If so, have you been able to successfully apply your traffic engineering knowledge? The whole game more or less hinges on proper road layout, and mine invariably suck with tremendous bottlenecks in the industrial districts.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hydrolith posted:

OP, have you played Cities: Skylines? If so, have you been able to successfully apply your traffic engineering knowledge? The whole game more or less hinges on proper road layout, and mine invariably suck with tremendous bottlenecks in the industrial districts.

A bit.

Clearly it's been a while, though - I was a bit frustrated with the way lane changes, signals, and merges work, so I eventually just built entire cities based on narrow one-way roads. That, plus subway networks, leads to an essentially ideal city, and your size is only limited by the number and quality of external connections.

And as I mentioned earlier, it's possibly to build a map with hundreds and hundreds of freeway connections!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

A bit.

Clearly it's been a while, though - I was a bit frustrated with the way lane changes, signals, and merges work, so I eventually just built entire cities based on narrow one-way roads. That, plus subway networks, leads to an essentially ideal city, and your size is only limited by the number and quality of external connections.

And as I mentioned earlier, it's possibly to build a map with hundreds and hundreds of freeway connections!

Speaking of games, I'd be interested in your opinion of how the road networks and interchanges are laid out in GTA V if you've ever played it.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nintendo Kid posted:

Speaking of games, I'd be interested in your opinion of how the road networks and interchanges are laid out in GTA V if you've ever played it.

I might grab it when it's on sale for $5, but I was really disappointed in the road network in GTA IV (as well as a lot of other things about the game).

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

I might grab it when it's on sale for $5, but I was really disappointed in the road network in GTA IV (as well as a lot of other things about the game).

V is miles ahead of IV. For one, the storyline is actually fun. The roads are a lot better and more like how San Andreas was. The at-grade intersections for Sandy Shores and Grapeseed off the freeway are the only really glaring issues I remember.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

V is miles ahead of IV. For one, the storyline is actually fun. The roads are a lot better and more like how San Andreas was. The at-grade intersections for Sandy Shores and Grapeseed off the freeway are the only really glaring issues I remember.

Those aren't really freeway though, they're a sort of surface improved road like you get in a lot of the country where it's not worth it to build a full interchange for low traffic connections to an otherwise freeway standard road. You can see them a lot on heavier-traffic US routes in the Midwest and parts of California.

The Trans-Canada highway also uses them a bunch out in the middle of nowhere because there's no point at all to making it full freeway standard.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Cichlidae posted:

A bit.

Haha cool. I'm going to have to read back through this thread, then, to learn how to do it properly :)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I just went to an informational hearing about a roundabout the state DOT is planning to install at an intersection in dire need of work, and hoo boy was that something. "The sound of downshifting trucks will scare my horses!", "I understand the state police set the speed limit, but will you guys set the speed limit leading to this intersection?", "So wait, do I stop or not when I approach the circle???"

Do you guys have any special tricks or training for how to handle those sorts of public meetings, or is it all just gritting your teeth and dealing with an irate public one meeting at a time?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Lots of good signs and slides. Even more patience.

The thing about public meetings is that everyone who went to one is, in their own way, a concerned citizen who is contributing to the public process. It's important to remember that, even when it's infuriating to be dealing with the same basic misconceptions for the thousandth time. Communication, as ever, is key.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, sounds to me that if you expect there to be many people who aren't familiar with roundabouts, you start the meeting with a step-by-step powerpoint presentation of how they work, how drivers deal with them and what traffic efficiency studies show about their use (or just show them that mythbusters episode about roundabouts).

First give them all facts and numbers, then let them say whatever they want. At least that way the actual hearing won't be clogged down by ignorance.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ofaloaf posted:

"The sound of downshifting trucks will scare my horses!",

Probably means jake braking, which is a real (and real loud) thing. But you can just make a law in the town/county/however the hell your government works that says "don't do this".

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Peanut President posted:

Probably means jake braking, which is a real (and real loud) thing. But you can just make a law in the town/county/however the hell your government works that says "don't do this".

People asked ConnDOT to install "TRUCKS NO JAKING" signs like they have in Rhode Island. We had a canned response, basically a press release from the company that makes Jake Brakes saying that they only make that noise when they're installed incorrectly, and that the plaintiff should be pushing for stronger inspection standards.

Speaking of public informational meetings, I have a day-long open planning session in Clay Arsenal today. If you're in the area, feel free to come in and learn about I-84.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, sounds to me that if you expect there to be many people who aren't familiar with roundabouts, you start the meeting with a step-by-step powerpoint presentation of how they work, how drivers deal with them and what traffic efficiency studies show about their use (or just show them that mythbusters episode about roundabouts).

First give them all facts and numbers, then let them say whatever they want. At least that way the actual hearing won't be clogged down by ignorance.
That is exactly what happened, except that everybody was still furious they weren't going to put in a traffic light there, nobody believed that drivers would actually slow down (the roundabout's just outside town, shortly after the speed limit goes up to 55) on the approach to the roundabout, and nobody understood why they couldn't put the roundabout to a vote then and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
While looking for an article on a story a heard a few months ago about an elderly person who came to a roundabout that had been recently built in their normal driving area, didn't know what to do, so they drove straight across it. Yes, over the grass in the middle as if it wasn't there. I stumbled upon this article. Most of them I found interesting, a few of them I knew.