Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

In general I am way more wary of police than I am of criminals.

At least criminals don't send you to jail after shooting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, I was going with a "you can chase a meth head off your property with a baseball bat, but try that with a cop and you're dead"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Haha, I was going with a "you can chase a meth head off your property with a baseball bat, but try that with a cop and you're dead"

That too.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

revmoo posted:

My cutoff for putting money through the bank is 8k. Anything less and I'll stick with cash if it's convenient. A bit risky, yes, but while losing 8 large would be pretty lovely it wouldn't be the end of the world and the odds of something happening is unlikely.

Funny thing is, I'm more afraid of police when traveling with car funds than I am criminals.

I was thinking the same thing, if I get robbed by random joe, thats what my carry permit and gun are for. If it's the cops, then you have no options. They don't even need to file charges to just straight up "seize" your cash. I have a tethered lockbox under my seat for my firearm that I put my cash if I have large amounts. It's more difficult for the police to justify breaking into something than if it's just sitting in your pocket or glovebox.

Never tell them you have cash if they ask, just having large amounts of cash is grounds for suspicion.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tanbo posted:

I was thinking the same thing, if I get robbed by random joe, thats what my carry permit and gun are for. If it's the cops, then you have no options. They don't even need to file charges to just straight up "seize" your cash. I have a tethered lockbox under my seat for my firearm that I put my cash if I have large amounts. It's more difficult for the police to justify breaking into something than if it's just sitting in your pocket or glovebox.

Never tell them you have cash if they ask, just having large amounts of cash is grounds for suspicion.

There was an article recently about some kid road tripping to Washington or somewhere for Uni, has his life savings plus the college money that his grandma gave him, something like $20k in cash, and the cops pull him over and seize it on the grounds that only a bad person would carry that much cash. Oh, and they'll have to sue the police department to get it back, which will probably cost more than the $20k he was going to use to go to college with. Meanwhile it'll be put into the general fund, so the cops just got a $20k bump in their budget, and even if the kid wins, it won't be the cops who have to pay it back.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tanbo posted:

:911::patriot:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Tanbo posted:

Freedom isn't free

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So america is a fascist dystopia then.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Somewhat, it's an effort to turn the tide of the failed war on drugs, but it's being misused and there's no real way to fight it that's reasonable. The failure of the war on drugs has become more apparent, and with almost half the states in America having legalized medical marijuana, and 4 having legalized recreational use, America is now heading towards the right direction, but it's a long road still.

I do find it amusing that the 2 hot topics around politics are now marijuana reform and gay marriage.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Won't someone think of the gay marijuana, please, for the children.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

20k in cash? Bad. Credit card with 100k limit? Good!

:911:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tanbo posted:

Bad with money, considering your lawyer even after a fully justified shoot is going to be way more than whatever cash you had on you. And civil forfeiture covers the lockbox.

On another note, I think the reason we're seeing so much talk about abortion and gay marriage is because no one wants to talk about how the economy is actually not doing that hot.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 28, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Two Louisville teens were charged after allegedly throwing rocks off of a Gene Snyder Freeway overpass.

The teenagers threw the rocks from the sidewalk of a stretch of Deering Road that bridges over the Gene Snyder on Sunday evening, Metro police said.

One of the rocks struck a motorcyclist who was driving on the Snyder.

Sigh...

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Radbot posted:

Bad with money, considering your lawyer even after a fully justified shoot is going to be way more than whatever cash you had on you. And civil forfeiture covers the lockbox.

On another note, I think the reason we're seeing so much talk about abortion and gay marriage is because no one wants to talk about how the economy is actually not doing that hot.

Most legitimate self defense shootings never end up in court, so no. Besides, people get killed in robberies all the time, it isn't about protecting the money.

And we were talking about the presence of cash alone, being enough to justify seizing it. Hence, having it locked away is certainly going to be helpful. Police are supposed to have to have probable cause to justify searching your car (and breaking the lockbox). Only way civil forfeiture covers the lockbox is if they seize the entire car, in which case you did something else and it would have been taken no matter what you did.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Who said anything about court? Besides the fact that there's no way to tell in advance that an officer is going to consider your shooting legitimate, you are still going to want a lawyer, because you're probably still going to be detained for a period of time.

As for the lockbox, I respect the fact that you're willing to risk your assets in the hope that an officer will 100% of the time act legally and not require you to open/remove the contents of your box. Of course, in the absolutely impossibility of a chance they'd do that (lol), you're going to need a lawyer (surprise!) to get your money back.

BTW, homicide during burglary is actually pretty rare, statistically speaking.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Radbot posted:

Who said anything about court? Besides the fact that there's no way to tell in advance that an officer is going to consider your shooting legitimate, you are still going to want a lawyer, because you're probably still going to be detained for a period of time.

Already have one.

quote:

As for the lockbox, I respect the fact that you're willing to risk your assets in the hope that an officer will 100% of the time act legally and not require you to open/remove the contents of your box. Of course, in the absolutely impossibility of a chance they'd do that (lol), you're going to need a lawyer (surprise!) to get your money back.

I'm already risking my assets when traveling with cash, taking steps to reduce the risk is the prudent thing to do. No, it isn't going to stop a cop from getting to it if they want and don't mind breaking the rules, nothing will. That doesn't mean you should just not take steps at all.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I'm firmly convinced at least half of you have a bunker under your abodes filled with ensure and ammunition.

Seriously y'all are some paranoid motherfuckers.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'm firmly convinced at least half of you have a bunker under your abodes filled with ensure and ammunition.

Some people carry checks, others, well...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Almost 25 years later and American news hasn't changed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39G9aXYe924

revmoo posted:

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – Two Louisville teens were charged after allegedly throwing rocks off of a Gene Snyder Freeway overpass.

The teenagers threw the rocks from the sidewalk of a stretch of Deering Road that bridges over the Gene Snyder on Sunday evening, Metro police said.

One of the rocks struck a motorcyclist who was driving on the Snyder.

Sigh...

Confession time! A few years ago my girl and I were driving down the freeway; I was sitting in the passenger seat. I was chewing gum and unfortunately didn't have a wrapper on me, so I spat it out the window, as was my habit at the time, because, hey, who the gently caress is going to step in gum on the highway, right?

Well apparently it was perfect timing to nail some poor motorcyclist who was riding right by us. Didn't even notice him until it was too late. As he rode off into the sunset I could see him trying to shake my spit and gum off his hand. Sorry, bro. :smith:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

YF19pilot posted:

There was an article recently about some kid road tripping to Washington or somewhere for Uni, has his life savings plus the college money that his grandma gave him, something like $20k in cash, and the cops pull him over and seize it on the grounds that only a bad person would carry that much cash. Oh, and they'll have to sue the police department to get it back, which will probably cost more than the $20k he was going to use to go to college with. Meanwhile it'll be put into the general fund, so the cops just got a $20k bump in their budget, and even if the kid wins, it won't be the cops who have to pay it back.

Yay 'murica. Thank God both people on both sides of the political spectrum are starting to wake up to the excesses and evils of asset forfeiture.

I think the best lesson I've learned on the road is just to ignore the stupidity. It can be frustrating, especially the people with their noses buried into their phones, but no amount of raging, blowing the horn, flipping them off, etc. is going to fix it. The only response most of these idiots will have is, "rear end in a top hat motorcyclist." So I just let them go and stay away as much as possible and keep my blood pressure where it should be.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Digital_Jesus posted:

Please...Hornady and Perrier. The apocalypse is really no reason to begin cutting corners and relaxing standards, old chap.

Re: cashier's checks. Fraud and fakery have pushed many sellers into insisting on cash. And the banks themselves are beginning to get dicky about transfers and withdrawals (enforcing Regulation D in the U.S.) so I can see how this could get tricky for a flipper/frequent buyer. Legit concern, not in a tinfoil sense but in an advance planning/don't get stuck in Yazoo on a 3-day weekend with no funds access sense.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marv Hushman posted:

Re: cashier's checks. Fraud and fakery have pushed many sellers into insisting on cash. And the banks themselves are beginning to get dicky about transfers and withdrawals (enforcing Regulation D in the U.S.) so I can see how this could get tricky for a flipper/frequent buyer. Legit concern, not in a tinfoil sense but in an advance planning/don't get stuck in Yazoo on a 3-day weekend with no funds access sense.

What's really odd is the guy I bought my bike off of had no idea what a bank-certified check was when I brought it to him. When I arrived to buy the motorcycle I handed him the bank check and he didn't really pay much attention to it until I had loaded the bike up on the trailer. Then he said "Hey, uh, so do you have to sign this or whatever?"

I told the guy that the bank check is something backed by a huge financial institution and not my personal checking account, and its guaranteed not to bounce so there's no way I could defraud him. Queue him staring at me for a second, saying "uhhh ok" and slipping it into his pocket.

How the gently caress you buy and sell >$6,000 bikes all day and not know what a bank check is beyond me, but I'm kind of flattered that he would've trusted a personal check from me. Guess being Whitey McSaltine-Cracker gets people to trust you for no reason. :shrug: gently caress you all though, certified checks for anything beyond $1k is my rule.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
People are trusting as hell. When my buddy sold his ZX9R which he was storing in my garage, the buyer came by, checked the bike out and then handed him the cash. He came back a week later to actually pick up the bike and title.

Cashier's checks are a red flag to me with all the scams surrounding them. These days I'd be more likely to trust a personal check provided the name matched the person's driver's license.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Both bikes I've only used certified cheques, neither I or the seller thought twice about it. My bank said a bank draft would be cheaper, but w/e. But that's big city livin' for ya.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah there is such a thing as bogus cashiers checks. And the way banks handle them is atrocious. Banks are filthy backwards institutions run by filthy backwards people.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah there is such a thing as bogus cashiers checks. And the way banks handle them is atrocious. Banks are filthy backwards institutions run by filthy backwards people.

Man, I was blissfully ignorant about that until now, kinda surprised the dude I bought the bike from even accepted the check at this point.

Then again, the moron that ran that illegal drug trading Bitcoin site had like 10 fake IDs from 10 different states, and a simpleton idiot like him could score them so I imagine a competent scammer could fake a personal check that matches a fake ID as well. Especially in states that don't require notarized title transfers.

Banks are evil, yeah, and so are craigslisters.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just had a near SMIDSY. A jogger ran right out in front of me. I'd already braked for a car to my right that looked like it was going to pull out otherwise I'd have hit her.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
GoPro

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
XD Prime X is out for delivery today :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All the bikes I've bought we went to a bank for the transaction. Doubt you'd get someone to do this for an old honda or something but if you're getting up around 3 or 4 thousand or more, I don't think it's an unreasonable request. The banks always have a notary as well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't worry soon you'll just be able to sort of awkwardly bump your hips together and have your phone make the transaction instantly and it'll go through twice because tap and pay will never not be poo poo, also PayPal will seize the funds because $6000 is too much money for an innocent person to have

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I usually go meet the seller w/o any money on me to get a feeling for the situation and take a preliminary look at the item. If I want it or I want to test ride/drive it, I offer to get the cash.

Trust goes both ways too. I've brought cash for transactions, but then also asked the seller to go with me to the licensing office to transfer the title so I can be sure everything is kosher, then paid the county and the seller at the same time.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, I'd never take time off work to go to the DMV to sell my bike, that's a whole-day endeavor. I'm legit, look at the paperwork, if you have a problem with it I completely understand but we'll need to part ways.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You gotta transfer the title one way or another, why not do it there? When I bought bikes we did it at the bank for both money/title transfer but when I traded bikes one time we just did what clutchpuck said and met at the DMV. Got the title notarized then shimmied over to the registration line and killed two birds with one stone.

I don't think I've ever spent more than 30 minutes at the DMV. It's a lunch break.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah vehicle licensing is a quick thing, like a 10 minute wait in line at the worst. Driver licensing is gonna be an all day nightmare, but that's a different place in Washington at least.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just hand over cash and get a title. I got a life to live and bikes to buy, son!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nsaP posted:

You gotta transfer the title one way or another, why not do it there? When I bought bikes we did it at the bank for both money/title transfer but when I traded bikes one time we just did what clutchpuck said and met at the DMV. Got the title notarized then shimmied over to the registration line and killed two birds with one stone.

I don't think I've ever spent more than 30 minutes at the DMV. It's a lunch break.

Because it involves coordinating a workday time with someone else. It's hard enough for me to step out of the office, let alone trying to see when Jim Bob can meet me. I'm glad you live in a state with a sane DMV, Colorado and California are not those states (in their urban areas, the rural DMVs are apparently fine).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

I just hand over cash and get a title. I got a life to live and bikes to buy, son!

This is what I did.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They don't need to be notarized in Cali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Or Illinois as far as I know.