Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

If you're installing 8.1 clean first, just do that side of things during that install, then the 10 upgrade will use that drive/partition

Hm. I'm hoping the retail version of the 10 upgrade lets me do a clean install from 10, I don't want to have to go through the trouble of installing a clean OS again.

In any case I'm not doing this on my desktop until things get squared away, which will probably take a month or so.

In other news, I don't really know where else to put this but here. Pause the video at :19 in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33689332

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Day one saying it's not ready?

No, gently caress that.

I'm not here to defend windows but a majority of people will not have problems on their everyday machines. Those tricking the update system, installing drivers, and immediately jumping in to high spec games will have problems, but why hold the release to please this 5%?

Just relax, get the update when it comes to you, use the computer like normal, give yourself a day or two to acclimate from windows 7, and everything will be fine.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Bioalchemist posted:

Nice!

I finished installing windows 20 min ago, but most of my games don't work and my GPU a GTX 970 seemingly isn't recognized by windows even though I have downloaded and installed the latest windows 10 driver. So I tried to restore 8.1 and the above happened.

Gonna try and completely remove the graphics driver and reinstall as I really don't want to have to reset or do a complete reinstall of windows as having to set up all my programs again is going to be a pain in the arse.

Uhh in case any body is interested I have got my computer working along with all my games by reinstalling not just the graphics card drivers but also the audio drivers. Even though audio seemed to be working fine the metro nexflix app gave me errors that it attributed to audio driver problems. So when I reinstalled the audio drivers everything else seems to be working fine also.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Scinon posted:

Or

1) Download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2) Run
3) Select "Upgrade this PC now"

Worked for me on my laptop which I reserved on. I find Windows 10 to be generally agreeable, gonna wait a few weeks for my daily driver desktop.

For some reason my laptop (Yoga 2 Pro) has been at the upgrade process for at least an hour. I thought this was supposed to be relatively quick?

Edit: Of course, as soon as I post that it goes into the initial setup phase.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 29, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No, gently caress that.

I'm not here to defend windows but a majority of people will not have problems on their everyday machines. Those tricking the update system, installing drivers, and immediately jumping in to high spec games will have problems, but why hold the release to please this 5%?

Just relax, get the update when it comes to you, use the computer like normal, give yourself a day or two to acclimate from windows 7, and everything will be fine.
this will sound elitist but i dont even want to hear about problems with upgrades if your not doing a clean install

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No, gently caress that.

Does that really excuse the fact that there are known issues and they rushed it out to meet a "back-to-school" deadline? No.

They should have done the right thing, kicked it back a few months, and smoothed things over first. We have two other major client versions of Windows that are currently supported, there was no rush..

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Apparently scaling is completely hosed for some users who want to change their text or images to different sizes, if I try going to recommended levels poo poo becomes blurry pieces of rear end.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SirDrone posted:

Apparently scaling is completely hosed for some users who want to change their text or images to different sizes, if I try going to recommended levels poo poo becomes blurry pieces of rear end.

this happens with some UI elements in Windows 8 in programs that aren't built with scaling in mind (I've seen it happen with Ninite for example).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SirDrone posted:

Logged out and back in afterwards? I had to do that while running the preview, after changing DPI settings, for everything to look right.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For those of you wondering, here is how the upgrade licensing works:

If you have a Retail or OEM copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that is up to date with the latest service pack or updates or what have you, and you machine meets the minimum specification for Windows (1 GB of ram, aero compatible video card, etc), you will be offered the upgrade.

If you accept the upgrade, your license will be converted from a Retail or OEM copy to a device specific copy. A signature of your current hardware is generated and sent to Microsoft during the upgrade process. When Windows 10 tries to activate, it also generates a hardware signature that is submitted to Microsoft. The two are compared, and if there is a match, windows is allowed to activate.

If they do not match, Windows 10 will not activate.

This means that, having done an upgrade once, you can do a clean install onto the same hardware without the need to enter a key and windows will activate. The upgrade to Windows 10 does not give you a new windows key, and if you check the key used during install, it's probably VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (Windows 10 Pro).

This also means that, if you change enough hardware or otherwise replace the machine you have, your copy of Windows 10 is no longer valid, and you will need to buy a new one.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SirDrone posted:

Lol scaling

not my screenshot

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hm. I'm hoping the retail version of the 10 upgrade lets me do a clean install from 10, I don't want to have to go through the trouble of installing a clean OS again.

In any case I'm not doing this on my desktop until things get squared away, which will probably take a month or so.

If you've bought a copy of 10 then yes, if you are using the free upgrade, then you'll absolutely need to upgrade from 8

As I said, if you've got 8 on a usb stick, and you're installing to an ssd it takes about 15 mins. Its not like you have to configure anything either.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No, gently caress that.

Ah, so this is how you can continue to say "it's a beta" even though it's not anymore. You make up some crap about how they didn't wait long enough and don't use their computer "like normal."

I really hope everyone who spent pages 50 through 60 handwaving away every issue as "it's still in preview" has been following the last few pages. Some of the issues people are posting sure do look familiar! WIndows 10 isn't a complete mess, but it's not fully baked either. And I don't think "relaxing and waiting" is going to matter one bit. These are the issues people have been posting about since 10240 was released to Insiders, and it's the same 10240 that the public is going to be getting today, tomorrow, and for a while. Because if they had a new build, they'd have pushed it to Insiders to test ahead of a general release.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

For those of you wondering, here is how the upgrade licensing works:

If you have a Retail or OEM copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that is up to date with the latest service pack or updates or what have you, and you machine meets the minimum specification for Windows (1 GB of ram, aero compatible video card, etc), you will be offered the upgrade.

If you accept the upgrade, your license will be converted from a Retail or OEM copy to a device specific copy. A signature of your current hardware is generated and sent to Microsoft during the upgrade process. When Windows 10 tries to activate, it also generates a hardware signature that is submitted to Microsoft. The two are compared, and if there is a match, windows is allowed to activate.

If they do not match, Windows 10 will not activate.

This means that, having done an upgrade once, you can do a clean install onto the same hardware without the need to enter a key and windows will activate. The upgrade to Windows 10 does not give you a new windows key, and if you check the key used during install, it's probably VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T (Windows 10 Pro).

This also means that, if you change enough hardware or otherwise replace the machine you have, your copy of Windows 10 is no longer valid, and you will need to buy a new one.

Well that fucks over PC builders and enthusiasts big time.

Skarsnik posted:

If you've bought a copy of 10 then yes, if you are using the free upgrade, then you'll absolutely need to upgrade from 8

As I said, if you've got 8 on a usb stick, and you're installing to an ssd it takes about 15 mins. Its not like you have to configure anything either.

I'll probably end up just doing this. I have 7 for my desktop so I'll just reinstall 7 on the SSD, and upgrade from there.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 29, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

In other news, I appear to be the only person to have had the upgrade go off without a hitch.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that fucks over PC builders and enthusiasts big time.

Thats not much different to the way it's always worked?

If you change a major component you'll often have to do phone activation

I've had to do this countless times over the years and never actually spoken to real person once

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ElrondHubbard posted:

In other news, I appear to be the only person to have had the upgrade go off without a hitch.

Nah... I was stopping in to say Windows 10 downloaded last night while I was asleep from Hotel internet and installed perfectly sitting at an airport bar on battery this morning. Been using it for the last 2 and a half hours without any real problems. The only annoyance was that my start screen icons were a clusterfuck but I'll give them a pass on that.

Actually I didn't give them a pass on that. I rated the install 4 because of it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Thats not much different to the way it's always worked?

If you change a major component you'll often have to do phone activation

I've had to do this countless times over the years and never actually spoken to real person once

I've been fine just entering the license key in over many years despite hardware changes. It's worked for me for 98, XP, and 7. (I had Vista but it only ran on one hardware configuration.) My 7 key went on two different motherboard/CPU configs throughout the years and it worked just fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to check which version of 8.1 I upgraded from? I'm pretty sure my laptop had 8.1 Pro, but the Windows 10 it upgraded to is Home.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been fine just entering the license key in over many years despite hardware changes. It's worked for me for 98, XP, and 7. (I had Vista but it only ran on one hardware configuration.) My 7 key went on two different motherboard/CPU configs throughout the years and it worked just fine.

Its definitely happened to me a few times, but it's not a problem to sort it over the phone

So whats to say its going to be any different now?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Those trying to make their hardware work despite Windows Update's callous disregard for breaking systems will have problems, but why hold the release to please tens of millions of people?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Its definitely happened to me a few times, but it's not a problem to sort it over the phone

I suppose you're right. Just freaked out thinking that I'd have to repurchase an OS because I upgraded my hardware too much.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boner Slam posted:

If my windows is already running for two or so years and I have lots of poo poo installed etc,

is it a good idea to take the time on the weekend to redo the whole system`? Ie. format, reinstall and so on?

Is that still a thing, or am I doing unecessary cavemen stuff and should just install windows 10`?

Here's the real answer: first time just do an upgrade install with everything intact. If after a week there's things still working weird and you don't like it, THEN go back and try again as a clean install.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Skarsnik posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm wary of the no license key thing. The few times I've tried phone activation it's always required a license key, hasn’t it? If they're just giving you a generic one that sort of fucks you.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Bioalchemist posted:

Nice!

I finished installing windows 20 min ago, but most of my games don't work and my GPU a GTX 970 seemingly isn't recognized by windows even though I have downloaded and installed the latest windows 10 driver. So I tried to restore 8.1 and the above happened.

Gonna try and completely remove the graphics driver and reinstall as I really don't want to have to reset or do a complete reinstall of windows as having to set up all my programs again is going to be a pain in the arse.
Make sure you get the latest beta driver which is 353.62 or something around there. You'll need to reboot the machine too before things will work properly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm wary of the no license key thing. The few times I've tried phone activation it's always required a license key, hasn’t it? If they're just giving you a generic one that sort of fucks you.

I imagine they have something else in place. Worst case scenario you call them up and be like "hey I changed some hardware and my hardware key doesn't match anymore, can you guys reset it?" I know this is a thing with other software vendors, including EA with certain games (Battlefield Hardline does this for example, you just have to call them up and ask them to fix it and they'll oblige).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I imagine they have something else in place. Worst case scenario you call them up and be like "hey I changed some hardware and my hardware key doesn't match anymore, can you guys reset it?" I know this is a thing with other software vendors, including EA with certain games (Battlefield Hardline does this for example, you just have to call them up and ask them to fix it and they'll oblige).

Microsoft is usually not too anal about activation on a technical level, and some of the higher-end business stuff (e.g. SQL Server, Windows Server CAL's) don't even do activation at all anymore (I don't think SQL Server even has product keys) and work on the honor system. They make up for this with fines in the tens and hundreds of thousands if they audit you and you're non-compliant. :getin:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Oh, I'm sure Microsoft would be more than happy to help, it's probably just a matter of giving them your MS account info and old OS key and they'll reactivate it. I just am always super paranoid about my computer and if MS decides to go full evil they can gently caress me out of a hundred bucks, which isn't really much, all things considered.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah I wondered that myself, but there should be a way to tie it back to the original key you used to upgrade I would imagine?

I've done a clean 8.1 install with my original key since the 10 upgrade too, so its not like the original 8.1 key just suddenly becomes useless after it's converted either.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Just upgraded to Win10 on my SurfacePro3. I try to go into settings through many ways (change wallpaper, settings on taskbar, etc) and everytime, a window blinks (presumably settings), but doesn't display for any length of time.

I go to change my wallpaper and it gives me the error titled "ms-settings:personalization-background": This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs contorl panel.

Anyone got ideas short of performing a clean install?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ElrondHubbard posted:

It seems ok for me...for now.

It had so much to install, I was worried it locked up before it even finished installing itself since it stopped at 83% of total install and 34% of installing files. So, I was up all night waiting for the 83% to go away. Suddenly, it finished.

Then, after setting it all up, I noticed only my second monitor worked and Windows didn't detect the main. So, I went directly to NVIDIA's site (ignoring the message about a new driver in the notifications) and installed the Windows 10 drivers for the 700 Series of GPUs. It installed fine and detected my 750 Ti with no reboot. So, knock on wood (and I've done that twice while writing this), it's ok.

Except the Photos app has decided to stop opening photos. Oh well.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
My Windows 10 upgrade went without a problem. The only thing I don't like is that I can't change the color of my Chrome tab bar. It's completely white and I'd prefer it's a different color. What's up with the settings window?

First, it just happens to be the same color as the grey background in the post preview which is weird, second, it says settings twice and there's no bar at the top. You might think this means you can drag from anywhere, but you can't. To drag the window you have to click and hold in the invisible bar that should be there, but for some reason they don't have. It's even weirder that this is the only window like it. Everything else I've found from Microsoft has the little bar at the top so you know where you grab the window. Which one of you nerds broke the settings UI?

Edit: Somehow I didn't know about themes in Chrome, that fixes the color of the tab bar. Nighttime in New York City sets it to a nice dark black.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 29, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Are you really saying "why hold the release to make sure the OS functions properly" because god drat. It doesnt matter if its only "5%" of users, a finished retail product should work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yaos posted:

My Windows 10 upgrade went without a problem. The only thing I don't like is that I can't change the color of my Chrome tab bar. It's completely white and I'd prefer it's a different color. What's up with the settings window?

First, it just happens to be the same color as the grey background in the post preview which is weird, second, it says settings twice and there's no bar at the top. You might think this means you can drag from anywhere, but you can't. To drag the window you have to click and hold in the invisible bar that should be there, but for some reason they don't have. It's even weirder that this is the only window like it. Everything else I've found from Microsoft has the little bar at the top so you know where you grab the window. Which one of you nerds broke the settings UI?
that's the modern look - flat design everywhere. hope you know where the boundaries are

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ElrondHubbard posted:

As an insider my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 went fine and is fully activated. Haven't tried a clean install though. I have tried a bunch of other computers which were not insiders but had valid 8 licenses and those asked for a key so i gave up.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I've had the nVidia bug happen a few times now, and even though it says Error in WU a restart will fix it. So when in doubt, just restart :v:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

robodex posted:

I've had the nVidia bug happen a few times now, and even though it says Error in WU a restart will fix it. So when in doubt, just restart :v:

I can't ge tit to recognize my nvidia card AT ALL. I get the bug, and then it fixes it but it doens't realize its a nvidia graphics card and i can't install drivers or anything, which means all games run like poo poo. This is so annoying.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Abu Dave posted:

I can't ge tit to recognize my nvidia card AT ALL. I get the bug, and then it fixes it but it doens't realize its a nvidia graphics card and i can't install drivers or anything, which means all games run like poo poo. This is so annoying.

Did you try installing the nVidia Windows 10 drivers from their site first?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Not just on my desktop but on my Surface too :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I'm looking at using the Windows 10 upgrade as a chance to replace my HDD with an SSD since I plan to do a clean install anyway. (I'm keeping the HDD as a storage drive.)

What's the best way to go about doing this?

My first thought was to go ahead and upgrade in place on my existing drive, then use a recovery USB to wipe everything and clean install onto the SSD.

Would this work? Or is that likely to freak out the License Key Gods?

• Locked thread