Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any app that closely duplicates the functionality of NYT Now on iOS?

Also, is there any way to have the alarm start of quiet and gradually increase in volume? The Windows Phone 7.5 alarm used to do this and it was quite pleasant.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any app that closely duplicates the functionality of NYT Now on iOS?

Also, is there any way to have the alarm start of quiet and gradually increase in volume? The Windows Phone 7.5 alarm used to do this and it was quite pleasant.

Timely does the second one

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I really like Timely but it only has a single timer, when cooking I often have many things that requires a timer and that sucks!
Does anyone know a clock similar to Timely but with the possibility to set several timers?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Sorry to stir up the hornets nest, but I'm looking for advice on an SMS replacement. I'm finally tired of how mediocre Hangouts seems to be at it.

I want something fast, visually dense if possible, and good with group messages. Google's own messenger does a good job with group messages, specifically being clear about who is sending what, but isn't visually dense. Textra is fast, but group messages all run together with the only separation is a small name over their text.

What else should I be looking at?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

FunOne posted:

Sorry to stir up the hornets nest, but I'm looking for advice on an SMS replacement. I'm finally tired of how mediocre Hangouts seems to be at it.

I want something fast, visually dense if possible, and good with group messages. Google's own messenger does a good job with group messages, specifically being clear about who is sending what, but isn't visually dense. Textra is fast, but group messages all run together with the only separation is a small name over their text.

What else should I be looking at?

Same, but compatible with my Google voice number if possible.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Any suggestions for a good free app for tracking my phone via GPS (preferably something that can overlay a history on a map)?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toshimo posted:

Any suggestions for a good free app for tracking my phone via GPS (preferably something that can overlay a history on a map)?

Turn on location history in Google Maps and you'll see the results here: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Always slightly scary looking at that :tinfoil:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skarsnik posted:

Always slightly scary looking at that :tinfoil:

Just depressing for me. Home, work, home, work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah pretty much :smith:

Though it did also tell me about a night I barely remember in awful detail, with exactly how long in each pub and apparently a kebab shop visit

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah pretty much :smith:

Though it did also tell me about a night I barely remember in awful detail, with exactly how long in each pub and apparently a kebab shop visit

If you pull that up in maps it gives a scarily detailed timeline of where you were. It matches up addresses to businesses and photos taken now even.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Athenry posted:

If you pull that up in maps it gives a scarily detailed timeline of where you were. It matches up addresses to businesses and photos taken now even.

Yeah, I didn't know this even existed until just now. I'm equally amazed and mortified. On one hand, I think it's cool to keep a record of it all, but on the other... Well, I doubt my lame and mundane life would be of any interest to anyone else.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Huh, I never knew about that either, or how accurate it is, even shows how long I spent at work...and that on my last day off I never left my house and took three pictures of my cat.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been using Google's Messenger app for texting people on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4 for the last few months and enjoying the app a lot. Over the last couple of weeks, however, the app seems to start crashing whenever it 'receives' a text message, but never actually displays it or stores it in my phone's memory. When I boot up other SMS apps, I see no texts at all until I reboot the phone. I called Verizon support and they told me to empty my cache so I'd have close to 50% of my phone's 32GB HD freed up, and that seemed to work for a few days, but now the crashes have returned and emptying the cache isn't fixing it. I've switched back to Hangouts for the time being but it feels so slow after Messenger. Has anyone else run into this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I've been using Google's Messenger app for texting people on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4 for the last few months and enjoying the app a lot. Over the last couple of weeks, however, the app seems to start crashing whenever it 'receives' a text message, but never actually displays it or stores it in my phone's memory. When I boot up other SMS apps, I see no texts at all until I reboot the phone. I called Verizon support and they told me to empty my cache so I'd have close to 50% of my phone's 32GB HD freed up, and that seemed to work for a few days, but now the crashes have returned and emptying the cache isn't fixing it. I've switched back to Hangouts for the time being but it feels so slow after Messenger. Has anyone else run into this?

I wouldn't think the cache would have anything to do with it but how big is your message store? If you aren't already you should be using SMS Backup+ which will constantly upload your conversations to GMail (indexable, threaded, and labeled) then trim your conversations to some low number, like the last fifty messages. If you need to go back farther than that in the conversation you can search your GMail label and it will keep the message store to a low, manageable number.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I didn't really know what my cache would have to do with it either, but that's what the support seemed to suggest. I only have like 27 SMS threads on my phone anyway, so I really have no idea what could be happening. I'll give SMS Backup a go.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, Google Music question:

I've been using Google Music for almost 3 years now, but only recently subscribed. Before I subscribed, I made several playlists. Now that I'm a subscriber, I want to make those playlists public and share them with other people. The music I added to those playlists was made before I subscribed however and consists of songs I uploaded myself. All the songs in the playlists however are made from songs that are available to subscribers officially.

Is google music "smart" enough to realize this and just replace my own uploaded versions with versions that subscribers can access? Or will my playlist be like 0 songs because they all technically consists of my own uploaded versions even though the equivalent is available to subscribers?

I guess the easiest way would be for someone to just click on this link and tell me how many songs it reports? It's supposed to have 115 songs:

https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXymswfeZjMxiytNu0Pt_sbqNrgGSG7JF7ZlvNKzjVLZmwNpF5ahz_PYrv8L0zzJ_HrZUCmpUCBLRWIGasHZBcfWWIc88yw==

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, Google Music question:

I guess the easiest way would be for someone to just click on this link and tell me how many songs it reports? It's supposed to have 115 songs:

https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXymswfeZjMxiytNu0Pt_sbqNrgGSG7JF7ZlvNKzjVLZmwNpF5ahz_PYrv8L0zzJ_HrZUCmpUCBLRWIGasHZBcfWWIc88yw==

I see 105 songs.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

deong posted:

I see 105 songs.

Thanks. I'm guessing it was smart enough to replace my versions with ones that Google has, but something I added they must not have. Thanks for the quick response!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

deong posted:

I see 105 songs.

I see 115. I win!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Montalvo posted:

I didn't really know what my cache would have to do with it either, but that's what the support seemed to suggest. I only have like 27 SMS threads on my phone anyway, so I really have no idea what could be happening. I'll give SMS Backup a go.

27*500 (the default maximum) is 13,500 records which is still a lot of records. Something it shouldn't choke on, I'll admit.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I see 115. I win!

This is because I added 10 more songs (I made sure I got them from Google Music itself) so now that total on my end is 125 :v:

While I'm on this topic: Is there anyway to see who (if anyone) subscribed to your playlists, or a total number or anything?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

While I'm on this topic: Is there anyway to see who (if anyone) subscribed to your playlists, or a total number or anything?

Having looked at your play list I think it's safe to say no one :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Skarsnik posted:

Having looked at your play list I think it's safe to say no one :v:

Haha, I searched on :google: and I don't think they offer a way. There also doesn't seem to be a way to see how many people subscribe to someone else's playlist either, which is a bit of a downer. Oh well.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Montalvo posted:

This doesn't help you, but I am having the exact same issue on a Moto X with a non-default and the default SMS app. Started a week ago.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Nintendo Kid posted:

Turn on location history in Google Maps and you'll see the results here: https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

You can also use the timeline bit of the latest Google Maps app

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does anyone have the ringtones from the Timely app available independently? I like their tones but I think I'd rather just use the stock alarm clock app.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
You can now use Google now to send messages via WhatsApp and other applications including Hangouts. While awesome I think this indicates that the dream of an iMessage competitor from Google isn't in the plans.

I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt it at this point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FunOne posted:

You can now use Google now to send messages via WhatsApp and other applications including Hangouts. While awesome I think this indicates that the dream of an iMessage competitor from Google isn't in the plans.

This is huge for Android wear.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FunOne posted:

You have been able to send hangouts message with Google Now for a couple months now.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

You have been able to send hangouts message with Google Now for a couple months now.

http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/2015/07/rest-your-thumbs-ask-google-to-send.html

Viber, WhatsApp, Telegram, WeChat, and NextPlus look like the roll out group.

My complaint, if there is one, is that the "Hangout" message command does not send SMS's when that is the default or last communication method in the app. It FORCES a send as a Hangout message.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 28, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

This is huge for Android wear.
It doesn't work on Wear (yet, presumably).

Edit: Actually, maybe it does now? It didn't when Now first updated but now I have some memory of it starting to work a little later. I never really use my watch for messaging and I can't really try it now because I'm at work.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tunga posted:

It doesn't work on Wear (yet, presumably).

It SHOULD be huge for Android Wear, then!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FunOne posted:

http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/2015/07/rest-your-thumbs-ask-google-to-send.html

Viber, WhatsApp, Telegram, WeChat, and NextPlus look like the roll out group.

My complaint, if there is one, is that the "Hangout" message command does not send SMS's when that is the default or last communication method in the app. It FORCES a send as a Hangout message.

I agree. There are several people that I message in Hangouts by way for Google Voice.

gently caress, Google... get this poo poo together.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

This doesn't help you, but I am having the exact same issue on a Moto X with a non-default and the default SMS app. Started a week ago.

At least it just isn't me. I've been digging around for a while and I still can't find a proper support page for the drat app.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is there such a thing as a goon recommended EQ app? It can have it's own player too, if necessary, just as long as the EQ is applied system-wide.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
it seems that the last update to the steam app added streaming functions :flashfap:

Edit: nah my bad, it shows your library but tapping on it only opens the store page. It seems that you can remotely order your pc to install games but that's it.

program666 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 29, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does Fenix allow you to swipe away or otherwise remove read tweets? I like to keep my place where I left off by actually removing things that I've viewed. Same question for any instagram apps that you guys can recommend.

Bonus points if there is an app that consolidates the two and also does the swipe to remove/etc.

Thanks!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TraderStav posted:

Does Fenix allow you to swipe away or otherwise remove read tweets? I like to keep my place where I left off by actually removing things that I've viewed. Same question for any instagram apps that you guys can recommend.

Bonus points if there is an app that consolidates the two and also does the swipe to remove/etc.

Thanks!

You misunderstand twitter, its not for completists and can't really be used that way. Just use tweetmarker or something to sync progress and you won't lose you place.

You must follow very few people for this to seem feasible.

I have seen a client years ago that colours unread tweets, but I don't recall what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

wooger posted:

You misunderstand twitter, its not for completists and can't really be used that way. Just use tweetmarker or something to sync progress and you won't lose you place.

You must follow very few people for this to seem feasible.

I have seen a client years ago that colours unread tweets, but I don't recall what.

I don't follow a ton of people, but enough that I want to hide those that are viewed. Does Fenix use the tweetmarker? I'm not familiar with that.

• Locked thread