Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I played your games everyone

Lowen SoDium posted:

While I wish I had more time to implement a few more features and polish some more things, I am out of time because I am going out of town for the rest of the week.

So I present:

County Fair Figure 8 Racin! (Windows download)

From the man who brought you Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter, The thrills of the county fair are yours in County Fair Figure 8 Racin. Choose your car and race on the mostly dangerous race course ever designed by man: the deadly Figure 8.

Exactly what I expected from a something awful game jam, disgusting and dumb. 10/10
Didn't encounter any bugs except for hilariously incompetent AI cars. Small issue where if you hit a box you can respawn and instantly collide with it again. Wasn't stuck though, just died twice on the same box.

Well done.

Tried to play, is there a way to use controls other than a weird numpad I have to click on the screen?

ohhh figured it out. The grid lines up so that w is up, s is down and e is enter. Got to ~3000 so far, your game is extremely hard. Love the 'rims'.

Splode fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I don't want to say that you should start panicking, but you should probably start panicking.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Animes have been fully implemented, boy_2_goat.avi has been created. Still waiting on the other cutscenes and some graphics, and need to make the presidential assassination, fruit collecting minigame and space treasure hunt. Still have no idea wat to call the game.
...I think I can still manage this by the deadline.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I changed one thing and now my game is literally on fire. I sure hope I can get this fixed before my team wakes up. :v:

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Splode posted:

Tried to play, is there a way to use controls other than a weird numpad I have to click on the screen?

ohhh figured it out. The grid lines up so that w is up, s is down and e is enter. Got to ~3000 so far, your game is extremely hard. Love the 'rims'.

Added control to the forums post ( it was on the entry page and github but not here ). Thanks for pointing this out, and for playing the game.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I finally have a build of our game ready to test, it's the final boss fight but I have no idea how this guy will be for people playing it. He's probably insanely unbalanced right now though but any general feedback is appreciated.

http://jthomas-software.com/sagdcx/

Also any general comments about performance would help, I know there's probably too many particles and additional crap going on that I need to tone down a bit.

Edit: General controls are WASD to move, mouse to aim your shield. The object of the game is that you have no weapons so you're reflecting projectiles into the enemies. M will also turn off the music.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 29, 2015

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
We're pulling together the final parts of our game now. I think we'll be able to submit tomorrow

I've really enjoyed working with HaxeFlixel. It's definitely going to be my go-to 2D game engine from now on.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

TheOrange posted:

I finally have a build of our game ready to test

Sound effects are really important for me. Sometimes it felt like I died without hitting anything and sound effects can help to inform the player. Also helpful to have a sound effect when the wizard teleports/you reflect a sphere. Ooohhh there are spikes. Took me about 15 tried to work out why I was dying randomly: sound effects! : D
If you die and respawn, you have no shield so I had to refresh every time I died.

Other than that it's working fine, had no problems with performance.

I like the camera, works pretty well. And the red things kill you/white things can bounce distinction is good if you keep it through the rest of the game. I beat it after about 40 tries. You may want to tone down the difficulty as it's a jam game and people are likely to skip and play something else if they get frustrated.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Heisenberg1276 posted:

We're pulling together the final parts of our game now.

Oh poo poo the pun

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Tann posted:

Sound effects are really important for me. Sometimes it felt like I died without hitting anything and sound effects can help to inform the player. Also helpful to have a sound effect when the wizard teleports/you reflect a sphere. Ooohhh there are spikes. Took me about 15 tried to work out why I was dying randomly: sound effects! : D
If you die and respawn, you have no shield so I had to refresh every time I died.

Other than that it's working fine, had no problems with performance.

I like the camera, works pretty well. And the red things kill you/white things can bounce distinction is good if you keep it through the rest of the game. I beat it after about 40 tries. You may want to tone down the difficulty as it's a jam game and people are likely to skip and play something else if they get frustrated.

Thanks! Yeah I need to figure out how to tone him down a fair amount, some of the attacks like the warp are a little too good at catching you off guard and he warps enough to be a pain to hit.

Losing your shield is intentional though, you'll drop it at the place you died in a room and have to get it back.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

Exactly what I expected from a something awful game jam, disgusting and dumb. 10/10
Didn't encounter any bugs except for hilariously incompetent AI cars. Small issue where if you hit a box you can respawn and instantly collide with it again. Wasn't stuck though, just died twice on the same box.

Well done.

Thanks. The Car AI was about half on purpose. I had them working a little better early on, but it was kind of boring with the cars driving correctly, so I gave the cars more speed and that causes them to spin out in turns some times and over steer. I thought the occasional pile up was kind of fun.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
My computer almost died on me this morning. I'm hoping that it lasts for at least the next few days, but boy I am glad that I have remote version control. :thumbsup:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Sandlot Basenoball, July 29

Did some tweaking and fixing, and probably the last bit of new features for the month.

* Turned fly balls on
* Nerfed fielders slightly (they're effectively one-point lower than what the stat says), but perhaps more importantly I added runner counter-actions so the batter-runner can nerf the fielder himself for some AP (expanding these to other fielder/runner interactions is probably the last code I'll add).
* Added some new actions, and activated action stat requirement (imagination comes into play here).
* Fixed a bunch of running and fielding bugs.
* Using the Phaser-supplied RNG
* Should do something about non-force-put runs, but that may have to be post-submit

Fielders might need another nerf, but might be good enough for now.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm thinking of abandoning save/load game functionality in my game, since it massively complicates things. Since judges are probably only playing it once for 5 minutes, they don't really care about that stuff anyways, right?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

sighnoceros posted:

I don't want to say that you should start panicking, but you should probably start panicking.

It's surprising how terrible this is making me feel.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

wrong place

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 29, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TomR posted:

I changed one thing and now my game is literally on fire. I sure hope I can get this fixed before my team wakes up. :v:

Dammit TomR, this is why we don't have nice things.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Spoilers: he didn't fix it before we woke up

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm thinking of abandoning save/load game functionality in my game, since it massively complicates things. Since judges are probably only playing it once for 5 minutes, they don't really care about that stuff anyways, right?

I would agree.

By the way, what is the opposite of Feature Creep?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BossRighteous posted:

I would agree.

Streamlining? :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BossRighteous posted:

I would agree.

Feature Baller :whatup:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Cutting it closer than I'd like but the results are pretty drat cool. Still need to do most of the stuff we had to do yesterday, but now with a third radical track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7TahNr7VY

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

BossRighteous posted:

I would agree.

Feature Omission? But since that's just making your game adhere to the theme better, I think it's technically Feature Creep again.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

My game is slowly but surely turning into a cutscene.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Tonight I'm going to put the final touches on my game and, importantly, make it a lot easier!! I've been letting a bunch of people try it and they die brutally, again and again, within seconds of starting.

On one hand I'm actually OK with that since it's an old-school arcade-like game... if you play any arcade game in a similar style (Bezerk, Robotron, Asteroids, etc) you will also die within seconds if you're not being careful. But on the other hand, this isn't an arcade, so I think people will just put it down and give up if it starts off this hard.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

On one hand I'm actually OK with that since it's an old-school arcade-like game... if you play any arcade game in a similar style (Bezerk, Robotron, Asteroids, etc) you will also die within seconds if you're not being careful. But on the other hand, this isn't an arcade, so I think people will just put it down and give up if it starts off this hard.

I think as long as you can get back into the action with the same keybindings as the game play it's not that jolting. Having to find a replay button to click or press enter to start always drives me nuts. My average truck simulator round is like 10-30s and it feels right to me.

Although if people aren't getting progressively better on each replay you may tone it down.

screamingcolor
Jul 29, 2015

The better it gets, the better it gets! :D
Hello all! Just want to say I'm grateful to be a new part of this community and that writing game music for this competition has literally been one of the most creatively enjoyable experiences of my entire life!! I never realized that having a deadline would cause such an explosion of creative juices. I'm SO looking forward to seeing all the games that come out of this. Shout out to Team Dogpit!! (Gosh I sound like a 12 year old noob.)

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

New Prize:

For all 7 primary category winners I will 3D print and mail a commemorative trophy of a humanoid standing triumphantly atop the monolithic wall of shame complete with the engraved usernames of those consumed. One print per team but I will make extras for anyone interested if they cover basic cost and shipping.

OR

The winning team can alternative elect to send a similar statue without triumph as a form of spite to someone on the wall provided they volunteer their shipping information. Maybe this one would have a corpse lying at the base. I haven't made any models for either yet.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

screamingcolor posted:

Hello all! Just want to say I'm grateful to be a new part of this community and that writing game music for this competition has literally been one of the most creatively enjoyable experiences of my entire life!! I never realized that having a deadline would cause such an explosion of creative juices. I'm SO looking forward to seeing all the games that come out of this. Shout out to Team Dogpit!! (Gosh I sound like a 12 year old noob.)

:frogout: noob

But really, if you all enjoy our game, it will be thanks in no small part to screamingcolor's kickass score! I paid him in chips, guac, HEB sushi and :10bux: so you can see I basically sank our entire budget into the soundtrack.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Well, it's been quite a month. But finally, Go Fish! can be unveiled to the world. Go forth, little goldfish, and win those gold medals.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm pretty sure this is me officially on the wall. :rip:

I managed to do a lot of stuff I never did before though with custom characters and I made loads of assets. I'll post some stuff later maybe.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

floofyscorp posted:

Well, it's been quite a month. But finally, Go Fish! can be unveiled to the world. Go forth, little goldfish, and win those gold medals.

Cool game, floofy.

Level 3 was cool, level 2 was frustrating as hell but I eventually got gold

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Pleased to burger you. http://ejew.in/burgergame/

TomR fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 29, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Having css issues with the Awful Jams site markup.

E: whatever, no need for a super fancy pants page when everybody else has like one sentence on theirs.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 29, 2015

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

All these games are so good I am playing a bunch of them and feeling the JAM COMRADERIE

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

It's time again for me to play all your games

Lowen SoDium posted:

Thanks. The Car AI was about half on purpose. I had them working a little better early on, but it was kind of boring with the cars driving correctly, so I gave the cars more speed and that causes them to spin out in turns some times and over steer. I thought the occasional pile up was kind of fun.

Yeah definitely, it makes the game much more interesting, as you've got a much higher chance of winning but also a much higher chance of being side swiped by a bad driver.

dupersaurus posted:

Sandlot Basenoball, July 29

Did some tweaking and fixing, and probably the last bit of new features for the month.

Excellent update, the concept behind the game comes through much more obviously now

Sadly, there's still a bug where occasionally the batter/runner doesn't run, causing the game to get stuck. This game is really fun, so I hope you can find all the issues in time because you've got a good shot at doing well in this competition IMO

floofyscorp posted:

Excellent assets, great game. Very silly. I'm afraid to say I gave up after failing the first course, that skull is really hard. This is a really well made game though guys, well done.

I might come back and give it another go

Using windows x64 version

When you begin the game, it might be better to have the player immediately face over to the right more, so that they see the order and realise they have to order ingredients.

Overall, it's very well made. It looks great, the assets are all excellent. I occasionally had a few issues clicking on buttons (in particular, the ones on the menu that comes up when you hit quit job).
It's a bit weird, it took me like 5 days to work out how the game actually worked and is supposed to be played. I also think I might be slowly running out of money but I'm not going to play through 30 days to find out.
You've made a soul crushing McDonalds employee simulator! You've made a really excellent mcdonalds employee simulator, it looks and sounds great, and the physics is spot on (I had very few issues, impressive for a game like this) but it's got issues of "why would I play this, I could just go and get a job down the road and get paid to do exactly the same thing"

So recommendations: instructions, and maybe something to let you know if you're doing well or not at the end of the day.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

I'm proud as snot to have worked on both of these games! Also props to the two non-goons who provided music on an extremely short notice.

I'm also proud as snot of the third game I worked on, which... maybe isn't officially submitted yet? In any case it's Tann's game and it's cool as hell too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm proud as snot to have worked on both of these games! Also props to the two non-goons who provided music on an extremely short notice.

I'm also proud as snot of the third game I worked on, which... maybe isn't officially submitted yet? In any case it's Tann's game and it's cool as hell too.

You've got a lot to be proud of, both of those games are extremely polished and well put together

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Dang, three games!?

Yeah I'm still adding some last-minute stuff maybe? Hah, soon I will submit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tann posted:

Dang, three games!?

Yeah I'm still adding some last-minute stuff maybe? Hah, soon I will submit!

Yeeeeup. It was a busy month.

• Locked thread