Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Like 6 months ago I got some new Reebok 20k pants to replace my old low-mid quality Bauers and I hate them and have only worn them like twice. The hip padding is way too stiff and jams me in the ribs and I really hate the hip belt system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think cheaper is better with pants, you don't need all the extra padding in beer league and they're lighter and more flexible.

pro tip: buy a pair of used tacklas off ebay, don't worry about pants again for 15 years

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I feel like literally every man I know who started playing hockey as an adult has a story about buying the wrong/too-big skates first and then buying new ones shortly thereafter once he had a clue.

At least in my case it was I didn't get how tight they needed to be relative to shoes. When I bought my first pair I went "oh yeah, these are snug I'm fine" then I decided to upgrade and went from an 8.5E to a 7.5D in the same line. Granted I had to bake my new skates and got them punched out about 3 or 4 times but they now fit so much more snug than my first pair.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
There was a guy in our league selling Tacklas pants and gloves for like 40 bucks. For some reason he had a quite a few sets. Should have picked them up but totally happy with my 800s in green.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Vargatron posted:

I'm having the weirdest issue where my skates are pinching the poo poo out of the outer part of my foot about 2 inches back from my toes. And this is 6 months after I've been skating with them. What kills me is that they didn't hurt like this before and now they do. I can't explain it.

I had the same problem with my last pair of skates. I got to the point where I was going to just get new skates even though I didn't really need them but then magically they stopped hurting. It is a mystery? They were Bauer vapors like the mid-grade limited edition they made with black TUUKS a few years ago.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

I think cheaper is better with pants, you don't need all the extra padding in beer league and they're lighter and more flexible.

pro tip: buy a pair of used tacklas off ebay, don't worry about pants again for 15 years

I bought my Tacklas new (within a couple of months of the women's style being released, I believe) and the more they get beat to poo poo the more I love them. Hopefully they'll last longer than 15 years with my relatively light use.

doctor 7 posted:

At least in my case it was I didn't get how tight they needed to be relative to shoes. When I bought my first pair I went "oh yeah, these are snug I'm fine" then I decided to upgrade and went from an 8.5E to a 7.5D in the same line. Granted I had to bake my new skates and got them punched out about 3 or 4 times but they now fit so much more snug than my first pair.

Yeah, I think that's part of why I don't know any women who've had this experience, we're used to tight/fitted shoes.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I bought my Tacklas new (within a couple of months of the women's style being released, I believe) and the more they get beat to poo poo the more I love them. Hopefully they'll last longer than 15 years with my relatively light use.

Yeah, I think that's part of why I don't know any women who've had this experience, we're used to tight/fitted shoes.

Makes sense. Never had to wear tight heels or anything like that.

How long do ice skates usually last?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So my league just sent out an e-mail offering a new package for the Fall: a "Play Like A Pro" league where you get to play at the Verizon Wireless Arena after Manchester Monarchs games. 15 game season, and it includes Gold-level seats to the 15 games that you'll play after, including one suite night per team. I think it's $500, as opposed to the usual 3 or 400.

I would love to do it at least once, except that the games will be varyingly scheduled. They have a hard enough time keeping a league running smoothly when it's the same day and time every week, I can't imagine waiting on an e-mail every week to see if and when you're playing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Brettbot posted:

I can't imagine waiting on an e-mail every week to see if and when you're playing.

That's how one of the leagues around here runs normally.

I hear that rink is about to close soon, though. It's kind of sad because, less ice, but it is also a mismanaged rundown shithole and I haven't had a reason to go there in almost a year.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
This is probably a dumb question, but as it got a few laughs when I posted it earlier, would anyone be interested in buying a shirt, hoodie, or tank top (or hell, even a jersey) with our Jurassic Puck logo?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

no

Year 15 on my tacklas and going strong!

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So the knee cup on my shinguards are cracked are cracked down the middle. The plastic and foam is all still there, but has a bit of give to it. Should I start looking for shinguards immediately to avoid losing my kneecaps, or is this something pretty common?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'd say start looking. They are broken.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Don't gently caress with broken knee cups, that's how you end up with a broken knee.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

doctor 7 posted:

How long do ice skates usually last?

I don't know if there's a "usually" about it, it depends on how you play and how you take care of them, and also how you like them to feel. Mine are 12 years old now and will probably be usable for another 10+ years aside from cosmetic issues, but the trade off I'm making by continuing to wear them is that they are about as stiff as a bedroom slipper.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
my usual D partner has a cracked kneecap - no not the pad: his actual kneecap.

buy new pads

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

DeNofa posted:

So the knee cup on my shinguards are cracked are cracked down the middle. The plastic and foam is all still there, but has a bit of give to it. Should I start looking for shinguards immediately to avoid losing my kneecaps, or is this something pretty common?

Shin pads are cheap and often a high-hit area.

Get new pads.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Duke Chin posted:

my usual D partner has a cracked kneecap - no not the pad: his actual kneecap.

buy new pads

I met a guy at my orthopedic surgeon's office who did that. Pretty unpleasant injury.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A brand new set of shinguards is cheaper than sitting in a doctors office/hospital waiting for an MRI/scope on your knee.

Just buy new shinguards.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

DeNofa posted:

What size are you? I've got some 15" entry level reeboks I'd love to get rid of for shipping costs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I met a guy at my orthopedic surgeon's office who did that. Pretty unpleasant injury.

Yeah he proooooobably shouldn't be skating on it - not so much that it's getting worse, it's just not healing either. That dude finds new and interesting ways of getting beat up every game. He got his forearm stepped on between his glove and slash guard last game. Fortunately it didn't really cut him - more like potato-peeler'ed his arm a bit. Then again, I ran into the bar that goes down in the back net with the back of my head at full speed last game as well. My neck is still sore like I've been rocking out at a metal show too hard :rock:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ALRIGHT FINE I will try to save my knee caps from destruction. Thanks for talking some sense in to me.

I have little legs so I'll probably have to stick with 13 or 14. Thanks though!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've got a phone interview for a job in Reno on Monday. Anyone play out there? I'm curious what the league situation is like. Don't want to move to a place and not play hockey again. Can't do a 15 year break like last time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I would say I'm a calm cool and collected guy. I am one of those rare people who don't get angry about a lot of things, especially hockey. Its a game that I love and enjoy playing for the fun and competition.

We played a well known chippy team who plays cheap and dirty and they continued last night, but stacked a few ringers on their team, easily 2-3 levels above this league. We got blown out 10-2 or something by the 2nd period. Our game was already over and we were just waiting for it to end. Their ringers were capped at 3 goals already but continued to cherry pick and take breakaways and slap shots on our goalie despite their chances not counting anymore.

Their shittiest player was slashing people after the whistle, chasing people around the ice after a play trying to instigate a fight, and whining to the ref all game. He started taking runs at people and trying to lay hits. They were already up by 8 goals at this point.

I think the part that really pisses me off is that he got under my skin which takes a lot to do. I was upset we didn't match up on lines before the game was over. I'm out of this league after a game or two anyway (moving), I would have gladly taken a suspension to turn his kids face inside out.

I can usually come home from a game and go straight to bed. Last night I couldn't wind down. I woke up this morning and still wanted to hit this guy.

I loving hope Seattle hockey isn't as lovely as this league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

at least you aren't moving to the thunder dome

question though, how does one take runs and try to lay hits. isn't it really just run and line the guy up? what's a run without hitting the guy? just skating too hard?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 29, 2015

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

A run would be going in and out of your way for a definite hit.

If a guy tried to "run" you he probably skating with excessive force (more than three strides) and lined you up and you had to take some conscious action to avoid getting hit really hard.

At least that's my understand. Going in for a hit generally means it's a clean play. So from the front, player has puck, three strides or less then gliding, shoulder down, feet down leave ice unless part of the result from the hit. Taking a run at someone means there's some dirty element to it (charging, behind, not eligible to be hit, vaulting into the hit off your feet, etc.).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Does the guy who runs the league ever come out to watch or even respond to emails? The guy that runs our league has said he watches games but as know as I know I've never seen him around. Why can't I have that job.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Going out of your way to make physical contact with a person regardless if they have the puck or not.

It's hockey. We all understand even in no contact hockey there's a certain amount of physicality that is part of the game. It happens. People run into one another by accident and lean on one another for positioning all the time.

The biggest rule in no hit leagues around here is generally play the puck and not the body. The moment you take a stride and shoulder up on someone you're setting up a hit, not a play on the puck. But when your first priority in a play is to make physical contact with someone rather than make a play for the puck, its a penalty.

Also the biggest giveaway of a run .. taking several strides towards a player who isn't part of the play and cross checking them in the back away from the play. Dropping a shoulder on people as they skate by you, intentionally looking for people with their heads down (see Scott Stevens vs Eric lindross) and boarding people are all included in taking runs.

calandryll posted:

Does the guy who runs the league ever come out to watch or even respond to emails? The guy that runs our league has said he watches games but as know as I know I've never seen him around. Why can't I have that job.

He's a novice hockey player himself who picked it up as an adult. He started the league because Chicago has a lot of talent and not a lot of ice time so each league tends to be really high level and hard for people learning or getting back into hockey. He plays on one of the teams (who also won the championship) and has a hard time separating the good of the league with his own self interest. He deals with confrontation poorly and doesn't like solving conflicts when they arise, I don't think he could deliver any sort of discipline if he had to.

It started with good intentions, mandatory evaluation skates for new players where captains were present to rate each player and negotiate who got who and avoid stacked teams. Teams started pulling in outside subs and people who didn't participate in the evaluation, the following season those players became part of the team still without any evaluation. Now this has become a D league with some C/B level players and a hefty base of E level players. Sub lists were supposed to be submitted before the season started. No additions after.

There was a sign in sheet process for about a month, then it disappeared. There's no way of them keeping tabs on who is skating night after night so its becoming a poo poo show. Someone recommended a license database, that didn't happen. Someone recommended an app that tracks members/players, that didn't happen. Our team recommended an ID check before games, check to see if their ID matches the roster. Simple, all you need is printed rosters with eligible subs. Also didn't happen.

I joined because I was coming over from roller and hadn't played ice in years. I went through the evaluation skate and averaged a goal per game my first season. We finished somewhere in the middle of the pack. I had more skill than the average player and debated leaving after that season but agreed to a second when we lost half our team. Even if I wasn't moving I wouldn't come back, its lower than I want to play and the poo poo bag level is getting higher.

This season I might have averaged a goal every other if not every third game. Our team is at the bottom and w've been blown out by 8 goals on countless occasions. I'm fine with losing, thats not my problem, but watching people skate coast to coast and undress entire teams at will in a novice league, get goal capped every game (3 goals max) and then sign up year after year and continue to burn a bunch of pylons like its their job.

Oh well, not my problem anymore.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 29, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'd define "taking a run at someone" as making a play on someone where puck possession and/or lane control is not the primary action of the play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i'm just saying that if you are in this thread you are probably moving slowly enough that someone taking a run but not making contact with you is likely as rare as a beer leaguer paying his league fees on time. like how can you miss when the closing speed is about 8mph

my issue was with the word "try". it should be very easy to accomplish if you're really trying.

Verman posted:

The biggest rule in no hit leagues around here is generally play the puck and not the body. The moment you take a stride and shoulder up on someone you're setting up a hit, not a play on the puck. But when your first priority in a play is to make physical contact with someone rather than make a play for the puck, its a penalty.

Not trolling you now, I legitimately disagree with this interpretation both in theory and in actual reality of any official ever calling a game.

Back to trolling you: given this take, your diatribe and reaction about pounding someones face i think you may have a case of the try-hards

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

i'm just saying that if you are in this thread you are probably moving slowly enough that someone taking a run but not making contact with you is likely as rare as a beer leaguer paying his league fees on time. like how can you miss when the closing speed is about 8mph

my issue was with the word "try". it should be very easy to accomplish if you're really trying.

From what I've seen the higher skilled people are the less they feel the need to prove themselves by being goons in some lovely D/E beer league. So yeah someone may be going 8mph but the guy laying the hit may be worse or barely better and has probably not learned to hit properly so dodging isn't impossible.

I guess we're just arguing semantics of the word. I view the the run as the action leading up to the hit but the hit separate. So "yeah he took a run at the guy" (as in he tried to hit but missed) or "yeah he took a run at the guy and hit him. Took a half dozen strides!"

Edit: this is the most thought I've put into the phrase ever, I even Googled it but can't seem to find a legit definition

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 29, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lower level skaters are, in my experience, traditionally terrible at dodging most things including their own teammates who are also skating with their heads down. But idk, sure I guess. I just think "trying to take a run" is a pretty clear indication that maybe emotion and selective memory may be playing into it. He either took a run or he didn't. Intent is usually a terrible thing to try to judge, especially when you're emotional.

And apparently the poo poo that happens in higher level leagues that I play in would make some people in this thread absolutely livid by some of the descriptions of what are penalties.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I loving hope Seattle hockey isn't as lovely as this league.

Cool come help us wreck the top team in our division next season :reject::respek::v: It's pretty chill here.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

Lower level skaters are, in my experience, traditionally terrible at dodging most things including their own teammates who are also skating with their heads down. But idk, sure I guess. I just think "trying to take a run" is a pretty clear indication that maybe emotion and selective memory may be playing into it. He either took a run or he didn't. Intent is usually a terrible thing to try to judge, especially when you're emotional.

And apparently the poo poo that happens in higher level leagues that I play in would make some people in this thread absolutely livid by some of the descriptions of what are penalties.

I'd say given the context of the original poster trying to take a run was meaning he was lining people up for hits that would not be legal but not being able to connect. It was mentioned he was their shittiest player so his skating ability might have been pretty bad. Hence the try but without success of a hit.

What do they do in those upper level leagues? All the high skill guys I play with complain how chippy low skill leagues are when they pop in them. Plus when I play drop in with guys who are obviously amazing and not even really trying they're always super calm and never engage in garbage.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

doctor 7 posted:

I'd say given the context of the original poster trying to take a run was meaning he was lining people up for hits that would not be legal but not being able to connect. It was mentioned he was their shittiest player so his skating ability might have been pretty bad. Hence the try but without success of a hit.

I hate this the most, when the shittiest player on the opposing team gets frustrated and just starts incompetently trying to hurt people. I don't understand why that guy can't just chill out and work on becoming a better hockey player.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't understand why that guy can't just chill out and work on becoming a better hockey player.

Hockey Player Thread: hockey is hard

And we all know dumb meatheads hate having to do anything that's "hard"

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I hate this the most, when the shittiest player on the opposing team gets frustrated and just starts incompetently trying to hurt people. I don't understand why that guy can't just chill out and work on becoming a better hockey player.

I am this guy in terms of skill. I can't stick handle well, I can't shoot or dangle or deke but I can skate surprisingly well with some speed. I make up for my ineptitude by hustling on the backcheck, blocking shots and screening the goalie in the zone so it frees up my two skilled line mates to do their thing. Things get physical in front of the net with pushing but I don't cross check or trip and at least the guy pushing me out of the way has never cross checked it tripped me yet. We generally just come together and push each other hard for positioning but it's pretty clean. I've taken some slashes and trips from the goalie though. My line mates say they appreciate me clearing up space by engaging in front of the net, sometimes I draw in two guys to move me which really frees up our skill guys. What I'm trying to say is these guys are utter dicks as you can contribute in clean ways without being too skilled.

I mean, I've tripped some people checking them on accident, I've even slew foot a guy once by accident but immediately after I'm promptly going "oh Jesus sorry are you ok?" :canada:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Scored again tonight and assisted on one. I flubbed a breakaway attempt in the second period (like super hugely flubbed it, just completely lost the puck after having total control of it, because I realized that some of my family was watching my game) but I was lucky enough to get another breakaway in the third and I put it five hole. I was enjoying playing defense but I'm really, really glad they moved me up to wing. Those plays feel awesome.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

What do they do in those upper level leagues? All the high skill guys I play with complain how chippy low skill leagues are when they pop in them. Plus when I play drop in with guys who are obviously amazing and not even really trying they're always super calm and never engage in garbage.

Not complain about people trying to take runs at people, mostly.

But yeah it's just more delicate, better passing, people accepting theyre beat when they're beat, less reliance on stick play. More skating. More positional play. Sticks are more careful. Careful physical play. A lot more chill dudes in comparison.

And more dudes know what it's like to be really buried so when contact happens it's not like they think they got blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is the worst page in the thread. Thanks sellouts.

Back to thunder dome, I unfortunately was out of town for this one on Monday. This team now has 3 players past the "suspended for the rest of the season" penalty minute threshold and are now 0-17. Playing against them is always a shitshow.