Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm actually pulling out DBa again for a match with my usual opponent: Gauls versus Romans. This time I'm going to actually have my celt/barbarian/gauls actually extant instead of bits of paper.

The game felt very streamlined when I played against my self but against an opponent ended up being backed into a corner logically. I will update the thread with results.

Also 6mm ancients based on 15mm standards with adjusted model count looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm currently reading Midway mil-hist (and goon favourite) Shattered Sword. It's jolly exciting stuff, with dive bombers and dog-fights and Torpedo planes and all the terrible Japanese tactical cock ups you need/want.

It got me wondering if there's a ruleset for WW2 carrier fleet combat out there? More from curiosity than anything else, the scales involved would involve heavy abstraction or a lot of off table action to work. I'm prepared to go full grognard for this one.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
General Quarters 3 is the grogy but still playable rule set but if you want fast play then I'd recommend Victory at Sea.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
There was also a axis and allies game with random booster packs of pre-painted ships. I tried it once and it was about as non-groggy as it comes, which I guess can either be a good or bad thing depending on taste and expectations.

E: war at sea, and you can download the rules at wizards.com to see if it appeals to you.
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/AAMWBS_Rlbk.zip

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 25, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm currently reading Midway mil-hist (and goon favourite) Shattered Sword. It's jolly exciting stuff, with dive bombers and dog-fights and Torpedo planes and all the terrible Japanese tactical cock ups you need/want.

It got me wondering if there's a ruleset for WW2 carrier fleet combat out there? More from curiosity than anything else, the scales involved would involve heavy abstraction or a lot of off table action to work. I'm prepared to go full grognard for this one.

Warlord will be republishing Victory at Sea by Mongoose at some point. Holy poo poo those boats are small.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

lilljonas posted:

There was also a axis and allies game with random booster packs of pre-painted ships. I tried it once and it was about as non-groggy as it comes, which I guess can either be a good or bad thing depending on taste and expectations.

E: war at sea, and you can download the rules at wizards.com to see if it appeals to you.
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/AAMWBS_Rlbk.zip

I like war at sea but I'm not sure that's a good game if all he wants to do is play with carriers. The emphasis is on contesting objectives usually so a pure carrier game would not really be suited to the rules. The official game is pretty much dead but fans have put out several expansions which you can find at aaminis.myfastforum.org under the war at sea sub fourm.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Alright, so I'm playing in the Late War Flames of War tournament at GenCon, and I can't decide which list I should bring. Does anyone have any suggestions for either of the lists below?

pre:
US Tank Company (3rd Armoured Division)

Tank Company, from Bridge at Remagen, page 10

Compulsory Tank Company HQ (3rd Armoured) (p.11) - CinC M4A3 Sherman (late), 2iC M4A3 Sherman (late) (190 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4A3E2 Jumbo (76mm) (only one per HQ) (90 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4A3E8 Easy Eight (40 pts)

Compulsory Heavy Tank Platoon (p.11) - Command T26E4 Super Pershing (275 pts)

Compulsory Tank Platoon (3rd Armoured) (p.12) - 1x Command M4A3 Sherman (late), 4x M4A3 Sherman (late) (475 pts)
- 5x Equip M4A3 Sherman (late) with additional AA MG (25 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4A3E8 Easy Eight (up to 3 per platoon) (40 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4A3E8 Easy Eight (up to 3 per platoon) (40 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4A3E2 Jumbo (only one per platoon) (35 pts)
- Replace M4A3 Sherman (late) with M4 or M4A1 Sherman (-20 pts)

Armored Mortar Platoon (3rd Armoured) (p.13) - Command Carbine, M2 half-track equipped with .50cal AA MG, 3x M4 81mm MMC (100 pts)
- 3x Equip M4 81mm MMC with .50cal AA MG (15 pts)

Provisional Rifle Platoon (p.30) - Command Rifle, 6x Rifle, Bazooka, 2x M1919 LMG (175 pts)
- 2x Replace Rifle with Bazooka (10 pts)

Armored Field Artillery Battery (p.31) - Command Carbine, Staff, M4 Sherman OP, 3x M7 Priest HMC (220 pts)

1750 Points, 5 Platoons
pre:
Soviet Peredovoye Otryad

Tank Company, from Red Bear, page 76

Compulsory Peredovoye Otryad HQ (p.77) - CinC Rifle, 2iC Rifle, 2x Jeep (30 pts)

Compulsory Tankovy Company (p.22) - Command T-34 obr 1942, 6x T-34 obr 1942 (275 pts)
- 5x Upgrade T-34 obr 1942 to T-34/85 obr 1943 (150 pts)

Compulsory Tank Rider Company (p.69) - Command SMG, 6x SMG (115 pts)

Tankovy Company (p.22) - Command T-34 obr 1942, 6x T-34 obr 1942 (275 pts)
- 5x Upgrade T-34 obr 1942 to T-34/85 obr 1943 (150 pts)

Anti-aircraft Platoon (p.23) - Command ZSU M17 MGMC (Quad .50cal), 2x ZSU M17 MGMC (Quad .50cal) (110 pts)

Gvardeyskiy Tyazhelyy Tankovy Company (p.46) - Command Mark IV (Churchill III or IV), 2x Mark IV (Churchill III or IV) (230 pts)

Tank Killer Company (p.134) - Command M-10, 2x M-10 (190 pts)

Decoy Tank Company (p.69) - Command Panzer IV H, Panzer IV H (100 pts)
- 2x Replace Panzer IV H with Panther A (120 pts)

1745 Points, 7 Platoons
To quote myself from a conversation I was having with a friend,

quote:

-The American list is focused on a single super-platoon, with everything focused on supporting it. CiC E8, 2iC E2 76, platoon with 5 Shermans (3 E8, 1 E2, 1 bog-standard A1), Super Pershing, Mortar halftracks, and a Rifle platoon (Still debating whether to take Armored Rifle or a standard Rifle)
-Oh, and a platoon of priests.
-Mortars and Priests smoke anything that might be able to hurt the super platoon, the platoon focuses fire on a single platoon to try and wipe it, SP and infantry lock down objectives or corridors.

-On the Soviet side, we're looking at your standard numbers game. Forward Detachment with a Tank Rider platoon, 2 7-tank T-34 platoons (5 -85, 2 -76 each), 3 Churchills, 3 Wolverines, AA.
-Oh, and a pair of Decoy Panthers
-Always Attacks makes Infliltration more likely, so they can very easily get Lots Of Tanks in your face very quickly
-Overall it's 23 AFVs in one company
-The only problem is that each platoon isn't terribly resiliant, so they're more likely to break or be destroyed, which loses you points in a tournament
-On the other hand, the American list isn't hugely resilient either, and relies more on having all the elements present at once on the field.
-Which is a problem when half the missions in the game want you to put half your forces in reserves

Anyone have any thoughts? I've got to turn in a list pretty soon, but I figured I may try to bounce some ideas off people just in case there's something I haven't thought of.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My CoC list has squad HQ as "Obergefreiter, two panzerfausts." For everything else it'll say, frex, "MG42, two crew, two riflemen" or "panzerschreck team, two man crew."

Am I correct in my reading, then, that "two panzerfausts" does not include dudes carrying them, no "crew"? Can I divvy up the fausts among the squad or does the leader shoot them?

I haven't read the rules, I'm just basing my mans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not having read CoC, does the game track ammo use? If so, then those Panzerfaust are likely two actual weapons to be fired by whoever, since IRL it was disposable AT. Otherwise I suspect it's dudes carrying a magic infinite supply of them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

vintagepurple posted:

My CoC list has squad HQ as "Obergefreiter, two panzerfausts." For everything else it'll say, frex, "MG42, two crew, two riflemen" or "panzerschreck team, two man crew."

Am I correct in my reading, then, that "two panzerfausts" does not include dudes carrying them, no "crew"?

You are correct.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got some cheap used books about gebirgsjäger for my vacation trip, and now I kind of want it to be over so I can go home and try to convert some from Perry's DAK box.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo, is Bolt Action more or less fun than Flames of War? I scanned through the first couple pages and didn't see much mention of it. I strongly desire some variety of tiny plastic Stug and would rather play tanks sometime than just have them sit on my shelf. I already know a person that plays Bolt Action, but will have no problems finding FoW people in my major metropolitan area. I think he has some Russians that I can play pretend war with my Stugs, but I also like the idea of more numerous, but tinier, plastic Stugs, but the fact that there is a Stug Zug kit with three Stugs in the same box is also alluring. I haven't played either, my historical wargaming has all been computer mediated.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Personally, having (briefly) played FoW I prefer Bolt Action.

Bolt Action is pretty much WH40K set in WW2 and run by a company that isn't insane. I was able to build a Soviet force of about 50 infantry + some special weapons & a tank for like, 60 bucks. The rules seem pretty solid, and there are lists for pretty much every combatant so far.

A lot of people in this thread also like a ruleset called Chain of Command that runs on a similar scale as Bolt Action.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Flames of War is larger scale, company or regiment level. Bolt Action is generally skirmish, so platoon-level (with support).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The way I've understood the difference is, Bolt Action is the Hollywood blockbuster of WWII games while Flames of War is the History Channel documentary series. :v:

If you want heavy metal tank action without little fleshy men getting in the way, you might enjoy FoW more.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Siivola posted:

The way I've understood the difference is, Bolt Action is the Hollywood blockbuster of WWII games while Flames of War is the History Channel documentary series. :v:

Not quite

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Bolt Action is tons of fun, check out Season 2 BA.net format

http://www.boltaction.net/p/downloads.html

If you ever want a slightly more realistic WW2 experience (if that sort of thing is important for you), look at Chain of Command.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Bolt Action is tons of fun, check out Season 2 BA.net format

http://www.boltaction.net/p/downloads.html

If you ever want a slightly more realistic WW2 experience (if that sort of thing is important for you), look at Chain of Command.

I'm getting some 15mm figures ready for WW2 Skirmish, but the advantage is, one you have the models, you can just try out loads of different rulesets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're planning to go 15mm then just do both. It's not like it's expensive to get everything you will need for Bolt Action out of spare FoW mans from boxes etc, and the tanks are literally identical then.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
With penny-sized bases you can also stickytac 2 (small) or 3-4 (big) individually based dudes onto FoW bases, which is kind of ugly but perfectly playable.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'm going to crumble and get the rulebook plus free plastic box offer from Warlord. That would give me the rules and 40 Red Army troops for £25.

Here's some questions though.

What army lists are in the rulebook? How much poo poo do you need?

Do I need to buy the Soviet codex? Do I need order dice?

Is it practical to field an Operation Barbarossa style force with T-26s or 28s, and BA-6s and BT-7s? Or would that totally suck?

See now I'm thinking of doing a Russian force for 1938 Manchuria/41 Barbarossa. Is that a bad idea? Do T-34/85s rule the roost?

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009
The core rulebook has lists for the four major armies (US, UK, Germany and Soviets) But you will eventually want the standalone book for your faction to open up more options. If you are a tank-fan you will also need the Tank War book, as there are restrictions on the number of tanks in the normal lists (Quick skimming says 1 tank per 3 infantry squads in the base list).

Baron FU fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 29, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
This is my friend's result of doing combined CoC/Battlegroup and FoW infantry bases. They're attached with magnets and you hardly notice the gaps between inf. bases and the model's own base when the dice are rolling.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
So is SAGA really as hot as they say? Looking for a Dark Age Historical skirmish game. Also: How is Muskets and Tomahawks?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Commissar Kip posted:

So is SAGA really as hot as they say? Looking for a Dark Age Historical skirmish game. Also: How is Muskets and Tomahawks?

Yes and amazing.

I'll let Serotonin chime in on Saga as although I own it and some armies, I have yet to play it.

M&T is one of my absolute favorite games, though. I have a few house rules to fix some "1.0" issues (like officer deployment), but it's fast, it's characterful, and it's fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
SAGA is great. Play SAGA.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thundercloud posted:

I'm going to crumble and get the rulebook plus free plastic box offer from Warlord. That would give me the rules and 40 Red Army troops for £25.

Here's some questions though.

What army lists are in the rulebook? How much poo poo do you need?

Do I need to buy the Soviet codex? Do I need order dice?

Is it practical to field an Operation Barbarossa style force with T-26s or 28s, and BA-6s and BT-7s? Or would that totally suck?

See now I'm thinking of doing a Russian force for 1938 Manchuria/41 Barbarossa. Is that a bad idea? Do T-34/85s rule the roost?

Yeah me too. I bought the book and a Stug. Now, I really need to sell off all of my GW garbage that just makes me sad when I look at it. I'll get a Grenadiers starter kit with 30 dudes and a half track or three when I get my payday from selling that crap off.

It seems you can use stones in a bag or whatever for the order mechanic and the pin markers can be literally anything (I have Go stones that I use for markers a lot)

http://www.boltaction.net/2013/05/new-to-bolt-action-getting-started.html

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 30, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'd chime in and say that go Bolt Action if you want a 40K-ish experience, as army building and a lot of minor things in Bolt Action are more similar to 40K. Also go Bolt Action if you have an active player group nearby, because no poo poo.

Go Chain of Command if you want a bit of a different experience, as everything from army building (there is pretty much none) to deployment works a lot different, and IMHO more realistic. It is also a good way to try new things once you're used to Bolt Action, I say they are quite different experiences, so there's no reason to not try (and play) both if you like them.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
A $40 deal for the book and a Stug that expires in 3 days was too godly of a deal to pass up.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cool. BA is plenty fun. I'd recommend you bought some order dice at some point, since it's a convenient tool to track which units got which orders.

Also, that new grenadier box is awesome,

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Saga is great fun and good value to get into. It's also the perfect gateway drug for players used to non historical gaming.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm eying the First in ! Last out! Pionier deal at the moment because I'd also get a Goliath, a couple dudes riding on a motorcycle, and a rad half-track with a pintle mounted AT gun on it as well as some weird weapon options like the modified anti-tank flare gun and rifle-grenade shooter thing... also flamethrowers.

I think this is a good plan to get into this game over the next four or so months with things that I like most.

Now. StuG and Basic Rulebook already bought and paid for

Aug. Pioniers box deal - This will get me started for reals playing smaller 500-750 point games, no problem, with dudes to spare and without having to upgrade everything over much
I'm thinking of starting 500 points with something simple, like:
2nd Lt + 1 veteran mans (63)
5x Pioniers w/ LMG (85)
5x Pioniers w/ MP40s (80)
5x Pioniers w/ Flamethrower (85)
Inexperienced Stug (186)
For larger games I'll add more poo poo to the platoon, like fill out the squads' numbers, add some panzerfausts and the other special weapons, maybe do a separate flamethrower team, chuck in the half track and the Goliath, and upgrade the Stug if my opponent wants to play a larger game which they probably will since I'll be taking the Stug no matter what.

Sep. Nebelwerfer and the dice and the Germany book - because gently caress yeah Nebelwerfer.

Oct. MG 42 MMG and a wildcard idk yet? Maybe a veteran squad with a load of Stg44's? Maybe that newish box of 30 Grenadiers? Maybe another Box of Pioniers so I can field a large single platoon? idk. The future is a big place. - Here, I will easily break 1k, have an indirect fire weapon in the Neb, an MMG team and some flamethrowers and ?something else? that can be in squads or separate teams depending on what seems cool at the time. I'll have the ability to field assault elements with MP40s and/or Stg44s and a few stationary elements with machine guns, so I'd have a lot of choices and a pretty balanced basic 1k force with the stuff that I like.

Nov. I'll maybe look into grabbing Chain of Command at this point, because being able to play different games with my mans is for great good and I'll definitely have a solid platoon to build around at this point.

:words:

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 30, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I'm eying the First in ! Last out! Pionier deal at the moment because I'd also get a Goliath, a couple dudes riding on a motorcycle, and a rad half-track with a pintle mounted AT gun on it as well as some weird weapon options like the modified anti-tank flare gun and rifle-grenade shooter thing... also flamethrowers.

I think this is a good plan to get into this game over the next four or so months with things that I like most.

Now. StuG and Basic Rulebook already bought and paid for

Aug. Pioniers box deal - This will get me started for reals playing smaller 500-750 point games, no problem, with dudes to spare and without having to upgrade everything over much
I'm thinking of starting 500 points with something simple, like:
2nd Lt + 1 veteran mans (63)
5x Pioniers w/ LMG (85)
5x Pioniers w/ MP40s (80)
5x Pioniers w/ Flamethrower (85)
Inexperienced Stug (186)
For larger games I'll add more poo poo to the platoon, like fill out the squads' numbers, add some panzerfausts and the other special weapons, maybe do a separate flamethrower team, chuck in the half track and the Goliath, and upgrade the Stug if my opponent wants to play a larger game which they probably will since I'll be taking the Stug no matter what.

Sep. Nebelwerfer and the dice and the Germany book - because gently caress yeah Nebelwerfer.

Oct. MG 42 MMG and a wildcard idk yet? Maybe a veteran squad with a load of Stg44's? Maybe that newish box of 30 Grenadiers? Maybe another Box of Pioniers so I can field a large single platoon? idk. The future is a big place. - Here, I will easily break 1k, have an indirect fire weapon in the Neb, an MMG team and some flamethrowers and ?something else? that can be in squads or separate teams depending on what seems cool at the time. I'll have the ability to field assault elements with MP40s and/or Stg44s and a few stationary elements with machine guns, so I'd have a lot of choices and a pretty balanced basic 1k force with the stuff that I like.

Nov. I'll maybe look into grabbing Chain of Command at this point, because being able to play different games with my mans is for great good and I'll definitely have a solid platoon to build around at this point.

:words:

I bought the plastic Pioneers box, and except from the hassle of pinning arms and heads to make metal stick to plasic bodies, it's great. Like, I can't believe why you would get the normal Blitzkrieg box, since the extra cost is so low and you get tons of nice gear to give your troops, even if you build them as normal infantry.

But then, if I didn't play early-mid games, I'd probably be drooling just as much over the new Panzergrenadier box, it looks like the cat's pyjamas.

As for CoC, you'll just need a squad, and then usually it's nice to have some of the support options on the lower lists (think point cost). Like, a medic, counters to act as a mine field, an extra MMG team, or an anti-tank gun. Engineers are basically used as extra teams that you buy for your platoon, usually on the lower lists as well, so they'll come in handy.

Beware, because when I started WW2 I only had the 30ish Germans with some guns that the club had painted up before, and now we're looking at this:

That's roughly two normal blitzkrieg boxes, some sprues of the old late war Germans, and a Pioneer box.

And that's not counting the vehicles I've painted since taking that picture, or the two boxes of Perry DAK that is waiting at home:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Which is nicer - the red army summer or winter infantry - in terms of painting and assembling?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I went with Summer because there aren't a lot of Winter Germans out there to fight, and special figures like artillery crew are almost always in summer gear.

e:typo

moths fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 30, 2015

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

I know what I'm getting into... I've been playing mini-wargames since I was a teenager... And I also particularly like the M4A3, M10's and T34's... and the Jagdpanther too.

The struggle is real!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 30, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Serotonin posted:

Saga is great fun and good value to get into. It's also the perfect gateway drug for players used to non historical gaming.

Protip: Saga is super cheap to get into if you buy the Gripping Beast plastic boxes for your Viking Age retinue or Fireforge plastic boxes for your Christian Crusaders or Milites Christi for Crescent & Cross. I think Gripping Beast also do boxes of plastic Saracens too.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The DiceBag lady breaks open the Gripping Beast plastics boxes and sells 6 pt war bands using the contents.

http://thedicebaglady.net/6-point-plastic-warband/

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Serotonin posted:

The DiceBag lady breaks open the Gripping Beast plastics boxes and sells 6 pt war bands using the contents.

You can't really beat £23 for a full army.

Two plastic boxed sets and a metal character give you everything you need for a massive force in crescent and cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Serotonin posted:

goddam you limeys get all the cool poo poo