Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

I can't say I knew a lot about DC and Nevada when I played 3 and NV but I've actually been to Boston once so it could be pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
While reading some news on Mafia III I was linked to yet another Fallout interview (why are they posting these one question at a time? Are they hurting for content that much?) in which they spoke with Pete Hines about what went into making Fallout 4 what it is. They apparently did a lot of reading of reviews and what people were discussing online so we can basically confirm that molerat boobs and realistic dick physics are in. For anyone in here who has more helpful advice on how to make Fallout 4 a better game, well, ol' Pete has some kind words for you:

Pete Hines, Satan's Right Hand Man posted:

"Let's be honest, [right now] it doesn't matter what anybody wants for a feature in Fallout 4,"
It's basically "gently caress Off you weird, creepy internet loser".

You can read the rest here. But it's basically someone taking a sentence and turning it into a story with a whole bunch of links to other questions they've been asking since last month.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Location only matters in how they use it and Beth will likely make the game feel more familiar in general design ascetic than any specific local flavor, but here's hoping they try to do both.

Maybe when they get off their asses to slice together Quakecon demo into new trailers, we can see if it looks Bostony to anyone that's been there ever. It'll likely just look like a goofy scrapyard that we can now change around to build what we want out it outside of a few key locations, but who knows.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

2house2fly posted:

I'm not in the military so I haven't been around enemy soldiers of any description, or drones.

Whooooosh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neither FO1, nor FO2 had a single significant real world landmark and nobody gave a poo poo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

Neither FO1, nor FO2 had a single significant real world landmark and nobody gave a poo poo.

Except that FO2 clearly wasn't canon to the superior FO1 because

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hope the dog stuff isn't forced on the player. I've never enjoyed using companions in FO3, NV, or any TES game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fallout 1 even had Bakersfield in entirely the wrong place and it was like, whatever man.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

I hope the dog stuff isn't forced on the player. I've never enjoyed using companions in FO3, NV, or any TES game.

Sounds like you don't have to use any companions, and if you don't you get a special perk or something

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Boston has quite nice architecture for an American city. I was just passing through on my way to New York though so I don't have many Boston memories.

Also our taxi driver messily spat out the window mid journey, it was pretty disgusting.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Wildtortilla posted:

I liked my cannon fodder slash Deathclaw chow- giving Veronica a SuperSledge makes her a nice meat shield for me.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Fallout 4, have fun with your thrilling books of college.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I think you find that the armor literally made out of expensive college text books and human flesh is actually quite fetching.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

sparatuvs posted:

Yeah, I honestly wanted fallout in Cleveland.

Most of Cleveland already looks like a fallout game so it would be easy.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

A small bit of news out of QuakeCon

IGN says: The mod tools won't be out until sometime next year. So we have a few blessed months of The Real Fallout(TM), before the net explodes in nudity mods.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe

GhostBoy posted:

IGN says: The mod tools won't be out until sometime next year. So we have a few blessed months of The Real Fallout(TM), before the net explodes in nudity mods.

Skyrim had nudity mods the day after release.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

So we have a few blessed months of The Real Fallout(TM), before the net explodes in nudity mods.
The nude texture & mesh replacers will be out at day one.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Boogaleeboo posted:

You don't have a soul or feel emotions, nothing is going to interest you. Why pretend? Just accept life is meaningless and go through the motions to fit in.

I like that you attribute not finding Boston an interesting setting to deep seated emotional issues instead of the guy just not being from loving Boston.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

popewiles posted:

I like that you attribute not finding Boston an interesting setting to deep seated emotional issues instead of the guy just not being from loving Boston.

I find anyone who could seriously say 'What's so interesting about the birthplace of a revolution and a significantly prominent city in a nation's entire history with internationally recognized landmarks and institutes' with a straight face to be suspicious. At best, they're some sort of robot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Or Red Chinese.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a bit of a stretch to call Boston's landmarks "internationally recognised"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

2house2fly posted:

It's a bit of a stretch to call Boston's landmarks "internationally recognised"

At the very least I would expect a lot of people have heard of MIT.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I can't name a single Boston landmark. The only U.S. Cities with internationally recognisable landmarks are New York, and to a lesser extent Los Angeles, Washington and Las Vegas.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

marktheando posted:

Yeah I can't name a single Boston landmark. The only U.S. Cities with internationally recognisable landmarks are New York, and to a lesser extent Los Angeles, Washington and Las Vegas.

Really? No universities?

That's your fault.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

At the very least I would expect a lot of people have heard of MIT.
Sure. But even if they know it's located right next to Boston, I really doubt many would recognize one its buildings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

marktheando posted:

Mt. Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, Busch Gardens, Boise Idaho, and (formerly) the World's Biggest Sizzler in Paso Robles California.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sparatuvs posted:

Really? No universities?

That's your fault.

I've heard of MIT but I couldn't tell you what it looks like so it doesn't qualify as a landmark I know.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

Nude mods find a way.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want a Fallout: Memphis featuring that gigantic pyramid that got turned into a Bass Pro-Shop.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Mt. Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, Busch Gardens, Boise Idaho, and (formerly) the World's Biggest Sizzler in Paso Robles California.

San Francisco has one internationally recognised landmark and I said landmarks, plural!

The rest of these either aren't in cities or I haven't heard of them...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just chiming in to say I somehow have just discovered Fallout 3 and it so ridiculously my poo poo and type of game that I'm kind of glad I'll be putting 1000 hours in this just in time for 4 to come out. :allears:

How's New Vegas compared to 3? I see its a split all over the Internet so I'm honestly not trying to rehash a thing but basically if i love 3 will i love new Vegas

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It's ok, it's basically an Fallout 3 expansion pack that was cut and turned into a standalone game. Bethesda really improved upon it though, it's worth checking it out!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

the_american_dream posted:

Just chiming in to say I somehow have just discovered Fallout 3 and it so ridiculously my poo poo and type of game that I'm kind of glad I'll be putting 1000 hours in this just in time for 4 to come out. :allears:

How's New Vegas compared to 3? I see its a split all over the Internet so I'm honestly not trying to rehash a thing but basically if i love 3 will i love new Vegas

It's exactly the same! Which is good, because if you like 3 and aren't an idiot I think you'll love New Vegas.
It's pretty widely regarded to be better written, but some people bitch about how it's less atmospheric or something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

New Vegas is much better than 3 (and I enjoyed 3 a lot). New Vegas is the best game of the last generation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The best part of New Vegas was having iron sights without having to mod them in.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, Hatch memorial Shell, Harvard National History Museum, The Wilbur Theater, Black Heritage Trail, Old South Meeting House, The Bunker Hill Monument, Massachusetts State House, Boston Harbor, Paul Rever's House and Faneuil Hall are things that can easily come up in a search engine but don't exist nor count as national landmarks because marktheando doesn't know them off the top of his head.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope there's a quest where you fend off hordes of ghouls from Bunker Hill.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, Hatch memorial Shell, Harvard National History Museum, The Wilbur Theater, Black Heritage Trail, Old South Meeting House, The Bunker Hill Monument, Massachusetts State House, Boston Harbor, Paul Rever's House and Faneuil Hall are things that can easily come up in a search engine but don't exist nor count as national landmarks because marktheando doesn't know them off the top of his head.

Lol I thought we were talking about internationally recognised landmarks not "national landmarks" whatever they are.

There are tourist traps where I live too but I don't pretend they are known globally.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Crabtree posted:

Holy poo poo if you think anyone outside of New England thinks of any of these things when they hear 'Boston'. I've lived all over the country and no one outside of the east coast gives a single thought to Boston ever outside of the context of sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

popewiles posted:

Holy poo poo if you think anyone outside of New England thinks of any of these things when they hear 'Boston'. I've lived all over the country and no one outside of the east coast gives a single thought to Boston ever outside of the context of sports.

Nobody outside New England even thinks about Boston, period. It's a footnote at best.

• Locked thread