Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
My first playthrough I totally missed her. Did the whole quest on my second playthrough, it was cool, and she doesn't go all psycho at the end like executioner dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Flying Squirrel posted:

My first playthrough I totally missed her. Did the whole quest on my second playthrough, it was cool, and she doesn't go all psycho at the end like executioner dude.

She does go psycho if you don't kill Henryk before the Blood moon rises, she replaces the Chikage Hunter in the Grand Cathedral and must be slain.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Flying Squirrel posted:

Someone was like "oh, you can use poison knives on defiled Keeper", and I tried it, and it was kinda bullshit, and I just used the beast claws instead. That was the only time I ever tried them. Do they actually work worth a drat on Abhorrent Beast?

dunno. i assume so but u will still have to dodge some attacks since he moves fast.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

rediscover posted:

the only time ive ever used poison knives in a souls game was on the anor londo archers before they patched them to be less mean

e: nvm it was poison arrows. but still

ive done that.. i used to do it all the time then on my sl1 run i had to do it normally and it wasnt even nothing. i felt l ike such a failboy flor doing it all the time just cos people on the internet made it sound ridiculous

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
People like to use knives on the beggar abhorrent beast because both of his spawns are right next to doorways he can't fit through

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

ive done that.. i used to do it all the time then on my sl1 run i had to do it normally and it wasnt even nothing. i felt l ike such a failboy flor doing it all the time just cos people on the internet made it sound ridiculous

2 be fair theyre much easier than they used to be. unpatched the archers were just as ridiculous as ppl said

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah the anor londo archers are one of only a very small handful of instances where I feel the dark souls crew placed a little too much value on making the game hard, rather than making it challenging

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It feels so cool to run through them and kick the guy off the ledge

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

People like to use knives on the beggar abhorrent beast because both of his spawns are right next to doorways he can't fit through

i think there are a bunch of poison knives on the ground right before him, so it makes sense

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've gotten pretty good at doing them recently, but on my past two playthroughs i did them on my first shot and then forgot to tag the bonfire, then had trouble with them when i went back O_o

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

i think there are a bunch of poison knives on the ground right before him, so it makes sense

yea.. but, like even their description is sort of making fun of u for using them :P

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wonder if everyone disappearing on the blood moon meant they werent actually there and it was just part of the illusion? even the people you rescue go insane post-bloodmoon or give birth to celestial babies

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like yarhaghul always looks like that, but until you break the illusion by killing ROM it appears 'normal'. sort of like how the amygdalas are always around, but don't truly appear until the same point. hence the hidden city.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bobnumerotres posted:

i wonder if everyone disappearing on the blood moon meant they werent actually there and it was just part of the illusion? even the people you rescue go insane post-bloodmoon or give birth to celestial babies

After you beat Amelia, most window NPC's just make random noises and yells, so I assume they all turned into beasts when the blood moon rose, or died, but then again, what you said could be equally correct.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

*prays for easy first boss on cursed iz dungeon* *gets v2 undead giant in the tiniest boss room that can roll*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Souls III is getting a bunch of closed door demos today, like the one written about here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-dark-souls-3 a few days ago

The highlights

- weapons have Weapon Arts which are like special moves that seem similar to the type of moves you could pull off by doing weapon transforms mid combo in BB.
- the main theme is Ash; Miyazaki says Dark Souls 1 and 2 were forsaken worlds and 3 will be an apocalyptic one, so something more like the second half of Bloodborne I suppose.
- move speed is faster but not as fast as Bloodborne
- the demo they show has a bridge full of enemies where a dragon flies over it and kills them with fire, lol. Miyazaki apparently chuckled during this part too and says he always wants to have that moment in the game
- This game is co-directed and Miyazaki is in charge of world design and art, while the other guy is in charge of getting the mechanics working.

The most interesting thing in this is that Miyazaki stressed that Dark souls III will be "a turning point" for From Software and that he doesn't like having one game per year. May be a while before we see another souls-like release after DSIII.

There will be lots of written impressions coming out today and video next week once Gamescom starts. I really hope something about the Bloodborne expansion shows up too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

DS3 borrowing a little from Bloodbourne's fighting is really good news.

One of the Weapon arts mentioned in that write up is a move that launches enemies into the air. I hope you can do juggle combos

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really glad Miyazaki is in charge of the world. I liked ds2 but anytime you go back to it after bloodborne or dark souls it just feels kinda bland and lifeless. The dlc is cool though

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

One of the Weapon arts mentioned in that write up is a move that launches enemies into the air. I hope you can do juggle combos

:holy:

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

zen death robot posted:

DS3 borrowing a little from Bloodbourne's fighting is really good news.

i really hope with light armor it can basically be bloodborne with dashes and poo poo, but thatd probably be too unbalanced

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

it sounds like theyll be letting people capture video of DS3 gameplay but its embargoed until aug 5

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

Dark Souls III is getting a bunch of closed door demos today, like the one written about here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-dark-souls-3 a few days ago

The highlights

- weapons have Weapon Arts which are like special moves that seem similar to the type of moves you could pull off by doing weapon transforms mid combo in BB.
- the main theme is Ash; Miyazaki says Dark Souls 1 and 2 were forsaken worlds and 3 will be an apocalyptic one, so something more like the second half of Bloodborne I suppose.
- move speed is faster but not as fast as Bloodborne
- the demo they show has a bridge full of enemies where a dragon flies over it and kills them with fire, lol. Miyazaki apparently chuckled during this part too and says he always wants to have that moment in the game
- This game is co-directed and Miyazaki is in charge of world design and art, while the other guy is in charge of getting the mechanics working.

The most interesting thing in this is that Miyazaki stressed that Dark souls III will be "a turning point" for From Software and that he doesn't like having one game per year. May be a while before we see another souls-like release after DSIII.

There will be lots of written impressions coming out today and video next week once Gamescom starts. I really hope something about the Bloodborne expansion shows up too

kool. i will be buying this on day 1... i dont think it will be as amazing as ds1 or bloodborne if miyazaki isnt doing the gameplay tho.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
On the other hand the b team guys pulled off stuff like the fume knight and the executioners chariot so i think theyll get the it right sooner or later. the ds2 dlc realy was awesome so maybe ds3 will be like light years ahead of what ds2 was even with b team gameplay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

On the other hand the b team guys pulled off stuff like the fume knight and the executioners chariot so i think theyll get the it right sooner or later. the ds2 dlc realy was awesome so maybe ds3 will be like light years ahead of what ds2 was even with b team gameplay

Yah, if they build upon what they learned by the time they made the DLC, add in more guidance from Miyazaki, add in some new design from Bloodborne combat and trim down the number of weapons it could be as epic as DS1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There were so many weapons in DSII and they were all so samey. Would love a blood gem style system in 3 to reduce number of weapons down to each type and just let you experiment with customization of each more easily

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

kool. i will be buying this on day 1... i dont think it will be as amazing as ds1 or bloodborne if miyazaki isnt doing the gameplay tho.

miyazaki is basically doing the gameplay, its not going to be a DS2 situation especially now that he's leading the company

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Wondering what style of multiplayer they'll go with. I enjoyed bloodborne immensely but it was essentially single-player.

And soul memory in ds2....

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

all the changes they made in the DS2 re-release are fantastic. it actually made the DLCs look kind of lovely in comparison

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The increased player limit in SotFS was cool

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Wondering what style of multiplayer they'll go with. I enjoyed bloodborne immensely but it was essentially single-player.

And soul memory in ds2....

miyazaki's already said no soul memory and that summon signs will be returning. also, snap-in backstabs are back as opposed to the ds2 poo poo. kicks and parries are ds1 style but iirc there wont be snap-in ripostes, instead theyll just be left open for big damage

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

or at least all of that stuff is true circa E3. early bloodborne footage had blocking in the game, so who knows

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

why would they put snap-in backstabs when bloodborne already resolved this

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

why would they put snap-in backstabs when bloodborne already resolved this

i would assume it's because they want to have the weapon present for the animation, and that could look really dumb depending on the angle. bloodborne got around it having your hand transform into a claw for viscerals.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How similar in feel is Dark Souls (the original) to Bloodborne? I went backwards and have never played a Souls Game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's way slower but still a fantastic game.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So the mechanics carry over (more or less)?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Human Grand Prix posted:

How similar in feel is Dark Souls (the original) to Bloodborne? I went backwards and have never played a Souls Game.

basic similarities in terms of how the world is designed, the general idea behind combat (animation based dungeon crawl where skill is more important than stats), and core gameplay mechanics like dying a lot and giant boss monsters.

huge differences in terms of pacing of combat. your roll speed is tied to encumberance (which is tied to a stat). many more weapons. parrying is different, and you can spend the whole game behind a shield if you want to.

it's like 7 bucks or whatever, so if you liked BB at all you should try it out. you'll have a lot of the basic ideas down because of BB, but the pace will be different and you'll have to adjust to that. but it's still one of the best games ever made. i wish i could play it again fresh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no dodging, only the roll, no transforming weapons, the magic is way different, there are shields. It's quite a departure really.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The biggest thing will be healing is limited to a number of times between each bonfire (equivalent of a lantern) and there's no hun world, and there's no fast travel for a majority of the game's length. Those will be the hardest changes to adjust to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

There's no dodging, only the roll, no transforming weapons, the magic is way different, there are shields. It's quite a departure really.

There is a back step although it's less than useful against enemies with any kind of reach.