Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

OSad posted:

World of Tanks got some Girls Und Panzer stuff

wargaming delenda est

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
How do you get your torpedo bombers to drop all of their torps in those shallow angles instead of the usual, as illustrated below:

code:
--->

--->

--->

--->
code:
--->  ---> ---> ---->
I've seen multiple people drop them like the second example, and can't figure out how.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

InstantInfidel posted:

How do you get your torpedo bombers to drop all of their torps in those shallow angles instead of the usual, as illustrated below:

code:
--->

--->

--->

--->
code:
--->  ---> ---> ---->
I've seen multiple people drop them like the second example, and can't figure out how.

When a Cruiser uses it's AA ability or fighters are attacking the bombers their spread gets all jacked up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Panfilo posted:

When a Cruiser uses it's AA ability or fighters are attacking the bombers their spread gets all jacked up.

Nah, that pseudo single line spread is a bug associated with autodrops. I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but when you issue a bunch of manual drop orders close together, under certain circumstances, it can cause that. What's actually happening is every torpedo bomber is dropping their torpedo sequentially in the same spot, at which point the torpedoes haphazardly spread out to where they should be in the pattern. It's not really a good pattern, as it leaves big gaps for someone to sail through as they spread out, but it can catch you off guard if you're not used to it since it's so unnatural.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've also seen not just a straight line, but the torpedoes actually turn in a circle, and form a little whirlpool of death, and I have no idea how it happens

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OSad posted:

FOG and Abyssal are basically the same horrible thing...

:japan:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

InstantInfidel posted:

code:
--->

--->

--->

--->
code:
--->  ---> ---> ---->

This only happens with autodrops, and usually happens with a person is turning away from the torpedo bomber squad. Its more likely to happen when a cruiser uses their Defensive Fire ability, too, as that further increases the accuracy loss. Typically the straight line drops are incredibly easy to dodge, as they almost never are aimed directly at you when they hit the water, so you can often just throttle down and not get hit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. Downloading this again for the first time since early in beta since I'm looking for a good time-waster. Time to relearn how to play.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I have a question for anyone who's finished the Kongo - what's the trick to using it best? I got mine, upgraded it but it just seems to feel much less effective than the New York. It's fast yes but turning is horribly painful. It has AA but it doesn't seem enough to discourage carrier attacks. The extra turret is nice but it still seems rather inaccurate - I'm talking 14km or less, I'm not trying to plink folk at 21km. The secondaries don't ravage destroyers the way other battleship secondary batteries do. In short, what's it's niche or it's power spot?
It gets through matches but it just doesn't feel like it's being as useful as the New York, if you know what I mean.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Ratzap posted:

I have a question for anyone who's finished the Kongo - what's the trick to using it best? I got mine, upgraded it but it just seems to feel much less effective than the New York. It's fast yes but turning is horribly painful. It has AA but it doesn't seem enough to discourage carrier attacks. The extra turret is nice but it still seems rather inaccurate - I'm talking 14km or less, I'm not trying to plink folk at 21km. The secondaries don't ravage destroyers the way other battleship secondary batteries do. In short, what's it's niche or it's power spot?
It gets through matches but it just doesn't feel like it's being as useful as the New York, if you know what I mean.

Make sure you have the accuracy module and murder cruisers with ap. I've found that kongo has almost as tight a spread as some cruisers.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Unlocked the Tenryu, first match out was utter carnage after loving up and beaching against an island because I wasn't watching where I was going (put in reverse, ship couldn't pull itself off the shore).

Was still somehow able to launch torps and fire all guns at every red ship I could see. Got some odd 50 hits and a bunch of floods and fires and citadels (only 2 actual kills though) before finally getting killed by torps from a destroyer that buzzed thru the death zone. The rest of my team was helping keep the heat off of me by concentrating fire on whoever I was firing at while the enemy team just kept piling in and trying to kill me because I couldn't move.

It was great.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
I have found the most fun way to play the Ocean map in a Warspite, that being charge straight into the enemy, a straight line to their corner. Ended up living for awhile, got two kills with my secondary batteries ( an atlanta and a sims), did major damage to two bbs, before being swarmed into death. we were within seconds of winning with cap, but the Colorado decided to chase a cv that was halfway across the map and draw it out on time, seriously i need a button that knocks people back down to tier 1.
So many draws :suicide: , seriously is there a way to disable standard battle?

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 29, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reading comments on WG's articles where pubbies brag about getting so many kills in PvE is just precious. :allears:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Oh man, it is soooo relaxing to play tier 5's right now. The place is absolutely littered with Phoenixes and Kumas, which are nothing but floating citadels for fast-firing 152mm guns.

Making credits has never been so easy.

Ratzap posted:

The Kongo is less accurate than the New York. Dispersion on the Kongo is 237 meters, while dispersion on the New York is 202 meters. It's actually less accurate than a Nagato, at 231 meters.

She'll click eventually for you; there's not actually anything that makes her that special, apart from her speed compared to other battleships in her tier. I've always had success playing hard and aggressive on her, relying on the armor and getting in close to cruisers/battleships, to distances where it's either they die or they die (we're talking under 10 kilometers here, almost always). Often, it's not the case that you do anything well, it's that you're such a solid all-rounder, that if you keep your armor angled and keep moving, other ships have trouble doing anything to you.

There's not much you can do about the bombers besides equipping the AA mod that gives it 20% more range, and spec for it early on in your captain (which is not actually that bad of an idea, since it makes your casemate guns more accurate as well). Likewise for destroyers, you'll just have to see them coming and get alright at leading a good shot, since often you only have one chance to do it. If they're willing to get within arm's reach of you, HOLD YOUR SHOT and wait for them to flatten their side out. Often you can destroy them before they have a chance to get the spread out on the water.

You can honestly run any of the second-slot mods that you feel suit you best. The Kongo is that good, she will accommodate any playstyle, except for the long-range sniper one, which she is not so good at.

OSad fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 29, 2015

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I've been rocking the Mogami's 6-inch guns with the two 155mm captain skills (range + reload), so my range is 18km, but I can't decide whether to use the boat's Concealment upgrade (-10%), or Target Acquisition (+20%). Stay hidden longer, while being able to take 18km pot-shots if needed, or see targets sooner in order to take those long shots.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

OSad posted:

Oh man, it is soooo relaxing to play tier 5's right now. The place is absolutely littered with Phoenixes and Kumas, which are nothing but floating citadels for fast-firing 152mm guns.

Making credits has never been so easy.
The best part is that the tier 4 cruiser event does not even start until after tonight's 8/5pm Eastern/Pacific daily reset.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

mik posted:

I've been rocking the Mogami's 6-inch guns with the two 155mm captain skills (range + reload), so my range is 18km, but I can't decide whether to use the boat's Concealment upgrade (-10%), or Target Acquisition (+20%). Stay hidden longer, while being able to take 18km pot-shots if needed, or see targets sooner in order to take those long shots.

If I recall correctly, Target Acquisition is mostly pointless. It doesn't have any effect on a target's concealment, just on how long your sight cone is, which is generally plenty long already for anything other than a high-tier IJN destroyer that wants a better idea what to aim his torpedoes at.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
not that this is a good game (it's not) but the shredding ability of the the Kongo is great if/when you survive the various little shits in your vicinity blowning their torp load because they're going to have trouble running away

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How long does it take you to be able to hit citadels intentionally? I'm up at T4 with a couple ships, and I hit a citadel maybe once every five to 10 games. Sometimes I'll get lucky and land a couple in a row, but I really have no way to predict it. Are the citadels on each ship in a different spot?

I do far more damage with torpedoes, honestly. I'm thinking about buying the Umikaze back. A tier where few people know how to dodge torpedoes, and almost 3km where you can pop out torpedoes without being spotted.

The best thing about DD smoke is how fixated everyone becomes on watching for you to be spotted near it. I got an enemy DD with torpedoes that way. He didn't change course once after I popped smoke. Just kept sailing, waiting for the smoke to clear.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Depends on the ship. Kuma's you'll citadel on accident. Omaha, Phoenix, and Murmansk are also fairly easy. BB's are almost impossible, but shoot AP anyway if you are in a BB. Took me awhile to find and get citadels on the Atlanta. It comes and goes, but once you learn a ship you can pretty reliably straight up erase them after awhile.

HE into the front of japanese destroyers seems to delete them and hit an ammo storage spot.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OSad posted:

She'll click eventually for you; there's not actually anything that makes her that special, apart from her speed compared to other battleships in her tier. I've always had success playing hard and aggressive on her, relying on the armor and getting in close to cruisers/battleships, to distances where it's either they die or they die (we're talking under 10 kilometers here, almost always). Often, it's not the case that you do anything well, it's that you're such a solid all-rounder, that if you keep your armor angled and keep moving, other ships have trouble doing anything to you.

Thanks for the lengthy answer which is roughly what I was expecting to be honest. I learned the angle and swing out to fire thing on my Warspite but I need to wait on firing more I think. When all shots straddle an oncoming cruiser at 6km it's pretty depressing but wait for them to swing out I suppose. Once the captain skills kick back in (silver retraining) and I make some cash for upgrades it should be a bit better.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had a game with a streamer called BeardyFPS earlier. I'll take a look later to see if I can find myself killing him.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I was in a game with jingles once, dude absolutely flips out when he dies.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

OSad posted:

The Kongo is less accurate than the New York. Dispersion on the Kongo is 237 meters, while dispersion on the New York is 202 meters. It's actually less accurate than a Nagato, at 231 meters.

Dispersion ratings are misleading because they're given at the ship's maximum range. Kongo is less accurate at ~20 km than New York is at ~15 km. Dispersion versus range is probably nonlinear (they said they increased battleship close range accuracy in some patch) but the disparity is enough that Kongo almost certainly has the more accurate guns.

Gun accuracy should really be shown in some units that are directly comparable between ships. The maximum dispersion values are only worthwhile for comparing ships with similar ranges or very different accuracy (cruisers versus battleships), and with the way everything is scaled just seeing the dispersion in meters doesn't give much information.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What the gently caress is the point of detonation? "Hey, once every 20 games or so, you get instagibbed by the first shot. This is a good gameplay decision."

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

counterfeitsaint posted:

What the gently caress is the point of detonation? "Hey, once every 20 games or so, you get instagibbed by the first shot. This is a good gameplay decision."

I guess the same reason fires, module damage, and flooding are all random rolls too. And dispersion. :shrug:
Randomness makes games different, though a random event where you instantly die is kind of jarring. At least you get an achievement and flags for it. UNTIL IT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT 2 GAMES TOO (shoulda equipped those flags!)

The detonation flag and the main battery mod both reduce chance of magazine detonations, the flag by 100% (impossible to detonate) and the mod by 20%.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

counterfeitsaint posted:

it's a booby prize that gives you 10 games' worth of leeway from getting the booby prize again

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hazdoc posted:

though a random event where you instantly die is kind of jarring.

That's kind of my point. Obviously there are random elements, but haha you're loving dead immediately is kind of a dumb random element.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I can't remember the last time I've been detonated. Seems to happen more often in smaller ships than in bigger ones, because often I'll see destroyers and some cruisers getting the award, but almost always never a battleship (it also helps that the barbettes are often protected by like, 300 milimeters of rounded armor on average). Still sitting on 50 flags which means that in 616 games I've only been detonated in four of them.

Though I know nothing of naval warfare, I do hear that magazine detonations happened every once in a while, so I'm not really that bothered by an event that happens every once in a while in this game too. It may seem like a gently caress-you award, but at least the game gives you flags to help prevent it from happening again next time.

James Garfield posted:

Dispersion ratings are misleading because they're given at the ship's maximum range. Kongo is less accurate at ~20 km than New York is at ~15 km. Dispersion versus range is probably nonlinear (they said they increased battleship close range accuracy in some patch) but the disparity is enough that Kongo almost certainly has the more accurate guns.

Gun accuracy should really be shown in some units that are directly comparable between ships. The maximum dispersion values are only worthwhile for comparing ships with similar ranges or very different accuracy (cruisers versus battleships), and with the way everything is scaled just seeing the dispersion in meters doesn't give much information.

Eh, fair enough. I've not played a New York so I can't comment, but the Kongo does feel accurate, even though the numbers tell a different story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, the Minekaze is just an Isokaze that can torpedo from even further away, right? Because the Isokaze's ability to poo poo torpedoes on people while staying hidden and waiting for them to blunder into the traps is magical.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

So, the Minekaze is just an Isokaze that can torpedo from even further away, right? Because the Isokaze's ability to poo poo torpedoes on people while staying hidden and waiting for them to blunder into the traps is magical.

Yep. The yank destroyers often forget how far the IJN ones can go too which is hilarious. I just had a match with a farragut trying that idiotic pop in/out around an island thing. So I tooled out to 8km, fired the 3 sets from starboard toward him and chased off after an omaha. Not long after I get a devastating strike from buddy boy sitting parked at the island. :smug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really need to figure out how to Screenshot results screens because I just got out of an Isokaze match where I nailed an Omaha who wasn't paying attention, a Kawachi who actually fought me for it, two Hoshos, a Wyoming who didn't see it coming, and a Minekaze who was so busy trying to shoot me to death that he ignored the incoming torpedo warnings. It's only the second time I've ever gotten Confederate and it was wonderful.

Turns out I'd taken a screenshot by accident, just hadn't noticed where it'd gone. Also, apparently, I just missed that second Hosho.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 29, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Print Screen takes screenshots, in game and at the results screens.

Murmansk + Advanced Firing Training captain skill + spotter plane = 21km potshots

I forgot to take one without the spotter plane. Murmansk with AFT has over 17km range.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I really need to figure out how to Screenshot results screens

You can also try out puush.me! :science: It's great for taking screenshots and uploading them straight into the web. Their little client also has an option to capture a certain area of your screen which is super useful for capturing post-game results without having to get the whole rest of the screen, you can easily access your last five screens from the client itself, AND they keep all of your images saved on your own little online cloud.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I recommend ShareX as puush servers have been really lovely for me, and ShareX has more functionality.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

How much you want to bet the Hood is one of the easiest ships to detonate?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, that was a lot of HE shells hitting me.

Best part was the HE-slinging Wyoming lining up for a honorabru broadside duel at 10km only to get two 16in AP dunked into his citadel as an afterthought between me fending off all those cruisers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Krataar posted:

How much you want to bet the Hood is one of the easiest ships to detonate?

Lower tier UK BCs will be worse.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OSad posted:

The FOG people are a reference to Arpeggio of Blue Steel, the anime that wargaming said there would be some sort of collaboration with the publisher for in-game ship skins or voice packs (just like World of Tanks got some Girls Und Panzer stuff) at TGS or something. Nothing has come out of that yet I believe, so those people are merely fans of the show.

There might be people out there using Abyssal_Ship_Something instead, and those are fans of Kantai Collection, which is a web browser game that received an anime adaptation. FOG and Abyssal are two different things.

There, now you know.:japan:
Everyone really should watch at least the first episode of the stinker Kantai Collection to understand how pubbies view the game and see it from their eyes.

Everything becomes so clear now. How and why they do what they do. Everything. It's an indescribable feeling of enlightenment. But like all knowledge it comes at a terrible cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I only know the ship girl animes exist because of this game but I hope the main characters have a historically accurate attrition rate. :allears: