Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Huge thanks to whoever brought up Sturgill Simpson. He is loving fantastic, old school outlaw mixed with 60's psychedelia is extremely my poo poo. Fantastic lyricist also.

He added a bunch of dates to his 2015 tour. I missed him in Seattle last November, so I'm definitely going to check out this November's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
both the oh hellos and hurray for the riff raff have announced fall tours.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Acrolos posted:

SInce you've seen him live a few times, I have a question. What kind of accent does he have? I love his music for the most part, but his accent when singing will drive me insane at time, because it sounds like he is forcing a southern accent that (at least on the surface) it sounds like he doesn't have.

I won't say that he kind of hams it up at times, but the large majority of the time it's pretty natural. He has a weird not-quite-southern twang/accent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hurray for the Riff Raff is amazing live. Their Williamsburg Music Hall show this April was one of my all time favorite concerts. If you can see them, see them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Just got Jason Isbell's new album on vinyl. Godamn....I'm 42 years old and can't remember the last time I wanted to hear every track of a new double LP over and over again. Much less an artist that had an previous album I listened to over and over.

24 Frames is really heartbreaking when I read that he wrote that about knowing his wife was pregnant.

Seems that there was a printing error and the bass player credits were left off. Jason said on Twitter that those are the "collectable" versions.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Goddamn can Isbell write lyrics, he's almost without peer. But my problem is that I was first exposed to him through DBT and when I listen to his solo stuff I just keep wishing there was more RAWK in the arrangements.

My problem, not his, of course.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Can anyone explain why he left DBT? The timeline seems to be:

1. DBT let in JI
2. JI marries a bassist
3. JI gets bassist into band
4. JI and bassist break up
5. DBT kick out JI

Is that incorrect?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Paper With Lines posted:

1. DBT let in JI
2. JI marries a bassist
5. DBT kick out JI

Is that incorrect?

I think at the point that he and Shonna were divorcing and he was actively hooking up with girls on tours things were probably pretty horrible. I'm not sure how progressed he was in his addiction, but I believe I heard an interview where he said that his mom or dad told him after he got clean that they were expecting him to die at any point. I can imagine all this probably made him hard to work with.

JnnyThndrs posted:

Goddamn can Isbell write lyrics, he's almost without peer. But my problem is that I was first exposed to him through DBT and when I listen to his solo stuff I just keep wishing there was more RAWK in the arrangements.

I completely agree. His early output with DBT was incredible and he really benefited from that sound.

I'm slowing coming around on Something More Than Free. It had about 3 songs I liked on first listen. Now I'm probably up to five or six. I actually wandered in to a record store and bought the drat thing ($6.99, holy poo poo) yesterday with my daughter. Sounds like he stands a good shot of being the number one record release this week.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Patterson said on WTF that it was mostly his coke/alcohol issue. I think he put it that he offered Isbell a break from the band to pull his poo poo together, Isbell refused, and the next day he and Cooley decided they had to fire him. The "artistic differences" line was to let him save face (though I agree with the above that I really do prefer Isbell's sound from Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which he was already moving away from on A Blessing and a Curse, so it really was a plausible cover story). I think Isbell confirmed that account more or less on his own WTF episode. They're good interviews and I'm not really a WTF listener.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yep. I would love more songs like Super 8 or Flying Over Water

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Patterson said on WTF that it was mostly his coke/alcohol issue. I think he put it that he offered Isbell a break from the band to pull his poo poo together, Isbell refused, and the next day he and Cooley decided they had to fire him. The "artistic differences" line was to let him save face (though I agree with the above that I really do prefer Isbell's sound from Decoration Day and The Dirty South, which he was already moving away from on A Blessing and a Curse, so it really was a plausible cover story). I think Isbell confirmed that account more or less on his own WTF episode. They're good interviews and I'm not really a WTF listener.

Just to add to this, the Truckers told him that he needed to take some time off the road, and that they were going to tour without him for a little while. Isbell said, "That's fine, as long as you call the band something other than Drive-By Truckers." Cooley's response was, "That's not going to work for us." and he was fired. Isbell has since stated that he was angry about it at the time but has since realized that that was an understandable move on the DBTs' part.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Paper With Lines posted:

1. DBT let in JI
2. JI marries a bassist
5. DBT kick out JI

Is that incorrect?

His first marriage, to Shonna Tucker, the band’s bassist at the time, came unstitched in public. There were some ugly scenes. Isbell’s fondness for Jack Daniel’s did not become him. “Some people get drunk and become kind of sweet,” Patterson Hood, one of the Drive-By Truckers’ principal singer-songwriters, told me. “Jason wasn’t one of those people.” Isbell left the band in 2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/magazine/jason-isbell-unloaded.html

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MrBling posted:

Can you guys recommend some stuff that is a little rough around the edges?

I don't really like the slickly produced, big chorus and string section things.

Something along the lines of how 16 Horsepower sounds.

http://youtu.be/f-vpAn15-vE

Murder By Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3llU-smhnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NI9BB7Dp-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPEmRhYOOuY

The album Red of Tooth and Claw is loving gold. Very similar to Wovenhand's stuff, the later incarnation of 16 Horsepower. Though there are some string sections.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrBling posted:

Can you guys recommend some stuff that is a little rough around the edges?

I don't really like the slickly produced, big chorus and string section things.

Something along the lines of how 16 Horsepower sounds.

http://youtu.be/f-vpAn15-vE

The Goddamn Gallows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDTTnXfsMus

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Pine Box Boys, if you like this sound. Not quite as dirty.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Murder By Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3llU-smhnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NI9BB7Dp-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPEmRhYOOuY

The album Red of Tooth and Claw is loving gold. Very similar to Wovenhand's stuff, the later incarnation of 16 Horsepower. Though there are some string sections.

I'm not opposed to strings in general, just the sort of stereotypical overproduced sugary sweet string section that a lot of country (and other music) got burdened with in the 70s in particular.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, checking them out now. Apple Music is really handy for this. :)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Wovenhand's stuff is a good bet, but it's not at all what you'd think of as country. Really dark and broody. Gothic, even.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
yeah, I have the debut album of Wovenhand. I really like them. It seems like a rare gift to have a song writer writing from a strong religious viewpoint without it coming across all preachy.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I agree with everyone here that it would be nice to see Isbell unleash a little more hell on his guitar. The guy is a virtuoso and stuff like Flying Over Water, Super 8, Danko/Manuel, and Decoration Day really shows him stretching his legs. I guess that's why Palmetto Rose is my favorite song on the new record, even if the verse/chorus change is sort of disjointed and sounds like two different songs. I really enjoy Something More than Free, it's one hell of an album. I just hope he rocks it up a bit next time around.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm slowing coming around on Something More Than Free. It had about 3 songs I liked on first listen. Now I'm probably up to five or six. I actually wandered in to a record store and bought the drat thing ($6.99, holy poo poo) yesterday with my daughter. Sounds like he stands a good shot of being the number one record release this week.

Initially I was kind of disappointed in the album because it's so different than Southeastern but the more I started listening to it the more I really began to love it. It's taken a while to grow on me (so did Southeastern, actually) and now I'm pretty much playing it non-stop.

A week ago I went on an iTunes buying spree and picked up three Suzy Boguss albums: Swing (western and jazz and it's loving SUBLIME :allears:), American Folk Songbook (exactly what the title says) and Lucky (Merle Haggard songs). As much as I love her albums from the 1990s I'd say these are actually better because she's doing what she wants. I guess that could be said about anyone who isn't beholden to commercial radio but still.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
New Daniel Romano album is out today, "If I've Only One Time Askin'". On Spotify now. Review: https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/07/30/album-review-daniel-romano-only-one-time-askin/BMRyTjBWXHX4HDhk9oXPhP/story.html

Haven't listened yet, myself.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Ya'll are dumb if you don't go to a Turnpike Troubadours show if you have the chance.

Saw them last night in Seattle, and the entire crowd knew every.single.word. The band was amazing, the crowd was amazing, the whole goddamn experience was, without a doubt, 1 million percent the best concert of any genre I've ever been to, including festivals.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Goddamn Isbell is a fantastic show. His voice can knock you on your rear end live, whereas it's mostly his lyrics that do the knocking on his albums.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I know we usually aren't too keen on super mainstream country, but the new Kacey Musgraves album is really solid. She still has a corny single or two (like biscuits) but they still are fairly satisfying to listen to and are surrounded by some good tracks about her not giving a gently caress about the bitches, etc.

Now that I think of it, she is kind of like the anti T-swizzle.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Paper With Lines posted:

I know we usually aren't too keen on super mainstream country, but the new Kacey Musgraves album is really solid. She still has a corny single or two (like biscuits) but they still are fairly satisfying to listen to and are surrounded by some good tracks about her not giving a gently caress about the bitches, etc.

I like it a lot. It evokes Dolly Parton in the same way that Sturgill Simpson evokes Waylon Jennings.

And the Willie Nelson duet is just about the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ashley Monroe isn't too shabby either. She was also in a group with Miranda Lambert (I know) called Pistol Annies that has a few good songs too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0LGfVEr8o

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Anybody like Nikki Lane? I caught her opening for Social Distortion last night, and was pretty impressed. I bought the records, but they don't come remotely close to the live show. Her band is very good.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Jeezus, the new Jason Isbell album is so loving good.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Paper With Lines posted:

Her voice is beautiful. I'm a fan of both albums.

Also, I just started listening to Jason Isbell as a result of this thread. Goddamn have I been missing out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

He's just a genuine guy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5h_2YUE84

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

drat it, now I just want to hear him do a full version of Little Wing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
He's a fun presence on Twitter too. Last year I wound up having a half hour conversation with him on Twitter over how great the band Calexico is.

Also, if you don't listen to Calexico, shame on you.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
His tweets about the Lenny-Kravitz-cock-hanging-out situation were absolutely hilarious.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

At the risk of turning this into a Jason Isbell megathread, he was featured on CBS Sunday Morning today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-fall-and-rise-of-jason-isbell/

Without going into personal reasons, Children and Children just might be the best drat new song I've heard in 25 years. I can't wait to see him play that live.

EDIT: I'd be a fibber if I didn't comment on how much of a peach Amanda is.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Without going into personal reasons, Children and Children just might be the best drat new song I've heard in 25 years. I can't wait to see him play that live.

I think this is just how I digest music, but when I first heard the song it felt like I was listening to my favorite Neil Young/CSN&Y song that ended like something by Sufjan Stevens. It's an incredibly strong song in the middle of my favorite album in a long time.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Gonna continue Isbellchat, sorry everyone! Thanks for introducing me to his music, I've been listening to Southeastern and Something More Than Free almost daily for the past week. Sort of leaning towards Southeastern being the superior one, but don't get me wrong, both albums loving rule.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
New Corb Lund tune out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snh2zZBnGgU

New album October.

Impulse road trip this weekend: http://corblund.com/2015/06/down-from-the-mountain-fest-eureka-mt-august-22nd/

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I don't know if any of you actually like the Oh Hellos, but I loving love them.

They have a new song out.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/08/20/377202957/song-premiere-the-oh-hellos-bitter-water

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I drove 1100 miles round trip for the Down From The Mountain Festival in nw Montana. Curb Lund puts on a hell of a show. He did like 6 new ones and played for two hours and two encores. New song highlight: Goodbye Colorado. Can't wait to get the new album.

Crowd was mostly Albertans and local Montanans. Lots of friendly folks who like to get drunk and/or fight. Free camping because don't drink and drive. Was frigid through the night, though.

They want to make it an annual multi day thing. If they do I'll make the drive again.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm watching Sarah Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, and Aoife O'Donovan right now. Sarah Jarosz has played four different instruments in as many songs and is a loving good musician. Holy poo poo. Also they're all playing into a single condenser mic that Noam Pikelny loaned them last minute. Seriously classy ladies.

Also Punch Brothers is next so that's cool.