Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
video:

http://gawker.com/u-of-cincinnati-cop-indicted-in-traffic-stop-shooting-1720875741

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So they're going to find this prosecutor having committed suicide rolled up in a gym mat after three self-inflicted to the back of the head next week?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

You can loving see Dubose's body fly back into his seat after being shot.

I really hope this leads to some serious body cam discussions.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Wow, yeah. Straight up murder. You kind of have to watch it a second time to catch the split second where he pulls the gun and immediately fires.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're going to find this prosecutor having committed suicide rolled up in a gym mat after three self-inflicted to the back of the head next week?

Snitches get stitchesground up at the bologna factory.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

The prosecutor sounds exhausted and drained. I wonder if it's just because A) he knows this press conference is gonna cause a shitstorm or B) He's had to deal with a ton of threats and red tape from cops trying to not get him to release the tape

What shitstorm? Is the tea party brigade going to bust out their rascals for a march?

This is exactly the response that was missing, and caused unrest in other places. Actually confronting a murderer with the law is exactly what's going to placate the community.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
There will still be a rally, and I think there's going to be a big push to get UC police to stop doing off-campus stops.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Going back to this.

Its an interesting comparison to see how the mainstream press is covering it:

quote:

SPARTA — The New Jersey Attorney General's Office is investigating a shooting in the early morning hours on Sunday in Sparta that involved an off-duty state trooper and three young males.
According to Peter Aseltine, a spokesman for the Attorney General's Office, the office is looking into the shooting by the off-duty trooper at a vehicle occupied by three young men on Whispering Wood Lane.

Two of the men were 18-years-old and one was 19-years-old, Aseltine said.
None of the teens were struck by the shots, he said.
Nobody has been charged in the incident as of Tuesday afternoon.

Aseltine declined to address additional questions involving the incident.
The Shooting Response Team of the Attorney General's Office is continuing to investigate the matter and more information may be released on Wednesday, Aseltine said.
Sparta police referred questions about the shooting to the Attorney General's Office.
Sparta Police Chief Ernest Reigstad said he could not disclose any details or confirm any particulars regarding the shooting.
"The whole incident has been handed over to the Attorney General," Reigstad said.
A message left with state police was not returned.

(http://spartaindependent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20150728/NEWS01/150729966/0/FRONTPAGE/AG-investigating-shooting#sthash.y0DEwl20.dpuf)

Although this confirms that the teenagers were arrested and shot at but not charged for knocking on the wrong door.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 29, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tensing turned himself in.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What shitstorm? Is the tea party brigade going to bust out their rascals for a march?

This is exactly the response that was missing, and caused unrest in other places. Actually confronting a murderer with the law is exactly what's going to placate the community.

Good point. They're doing everything as right as they can (I think) to avoid something like Ferguson or Baltimore. But there still probably will be some sort of reaction.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wow, yeah. Straight up murder. You kind of have to watch it a second time to catch the split second where he pulls the gun and immediately fires.

Predicting the accidental discharge defense.

I pulled it and it just went off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SgtScruffy posted:

Good point. They're doing everything as right as they can (I think) to avoid something like Ferguson or Baltimore. But there still probably will be some sort of reaction.

They evacuated the drat campus. So that should be interesting.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's Debate about the Police, Criminal Justice and the Cincinnati shooting.

Mods please.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UCXdpavfWQ

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

:stare: From "hey why don't you take your seatbelt off" as the cop is opening the car door for him (why?) to a corpse in 2 seconds.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There is no threat, hes not being dragged, he can step back and the guy drives off without harm to either of them, they get back in the car and have a bit of a chase and get him later.

I think more and more that American officers should still have weapons while on patrol, but perhaps they should be locked in a center console or something so they don't loving shoot people for no reason.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Minarchist posted:

:stare: From "hey why don't you take your seatbelt off" as the cop is opening the car door for him (why?) to a corpse in 2 seconds.

Linked for gif of dead man - http://imgur.com/PXF4VFZ

Frame 1 - Officer aims weapon at mans head.
Frame 2 - Officer discharges weapon into mans head.
Frame 3 - Corpse slumps, back and to the left.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Looking forward to the shitlords saying "Hi yeah maybe here's a thought don't run from the police if you don't want to die."

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

:stare:

Jesus Christ that video. Let's see what officer.com says

quote:

Video in here. Look at the guy's right hand.

Ray Tensing is getting railroaded here. He saw something that led him to believe he was in danger and acted on his training. Justification doesn't rely on perfect 20/20 hindsight, it relies on what the officer believed at the time.

Sounds about right.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
No, officer.com, the standard is what a reasonable officer in that situation would do.
The reasonable officer doesn't blow anyone's head off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nm posted:

No, officer.com, the standard is what a reasonable officer in that situation would do.

Modern American police and their defenders believe it's reasonable to be so afraid of civilians that you shoot them in the head as soon as their hand even looks like it's reaching for a weapon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

YOU DON'T KNOW MAN, IT'S A WAR ZONE OUT THERE. EVERY DAY I LEAVE FOR WORK I DON'T KNOW IF IT'LL BE MY LAST.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It seems like the -whole reaching into the car with one hand, aiming at the guys head with the other hand- part of of this deal wouldn't be because he "acted on his training", but idk.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Notes from Cincinnati:

They evacuated my building, right across the street from UC, at 3pm today. Which had like no effect on work because EVERYONE was watching the newscast and then talking about it.

UC is moving to have Tensing fired immediately.

UCPD does not carry tasers due to a settlement with the family of a 17-yo kid who died after being tased a few years ago. They are not allowed to issue them again without notifying/asking permission from the family.

UCPD (and every other officer in Ohio) goes through an academy curriculum standardized by the State of of Ohio and takes an exam administered by the state to get their certification. The department is "real police", not armed security, and is considered a state law enforcement agency.

After watching the video several times I could almost buy that he inappropriately had his gun out and negligently discharged (there are no accidental discharges) during the struggle, but even if that's what actually happened, he hosed himself by lying about being dragged. Props to Deters for holding back the video despite enormous pressure to release it.

I used to work for this department and left 10 years ago, and am no longer in law enforcement. If anyone wants to ask me questions without attacking the poo poo out of me like what happened in the old CotB threads, I'll try to answer them until my wife tells me to put down the phone and play with the kids. I did not work with Officer Tensing and have never met him, and I will also not dish dirt about the department.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems like the -whole reaching into the car with one hand, aiming at the guys head with the other hand- part of of this deal wouldn't be because he "acted on his training", but idk.

He could have pulled the guy out of the car and curb stomped him, they'd still say he "acted on his training".

gently caress the police.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Here's another article about the State Trooper shooting at the ring and runners.
Choice quote:

"He didn't know why he was being arrested. He thought the helicopters were searching for the guy who shot at us," Barkhorn said.

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/teen_off-duty_trooper_fired_at_us_but_we_were_trea.html

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I was actually worried when Sam opened his glove box to show him the license plate the guy might shoot.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Modern American police and their defenders believe it's reasonable to be so afraid of civilians that you shoot them in the head as soon as their hand even looks like it's reaching for a weapon.

It's not just the police, the apologists in this thread have proven that the law is behind their actions. I am positive this murderer will go free, like all those before him, because there is no other justification required other than the presumption of fear on the officer's part, the law is clear.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ElCondemn posted:

It's not just the police, the apologists in this thread have proven that the law is behind their actions. I am positive this murderer will go free, like all those before him, because there is no other justification required other than the presumption of fear on the officer's part, the law is clear.

Nah, He's a campus cop, and the dude essentially said his goal is to disband the campus police and let CPD handle it.

This dude is hosed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CommanderApaul posted:

I used to work for this department and left 10 years ago, and am no longer in law enforcement. If anyone wants to ask me questions without attacking the poo poo out of me like what happened in the old CotB threads, I'll try to answer them until my wife tells me to put down the phone and play with the kids. I did not work with Officer Tensing and have never met him, and I will also not dish dirt about the department.

If you were witness to this incident as an officer and there were no video evidence, would you go along with Ray Tensing's story?

NigelsPoppet
Jul 22, 2015
Plenty of cunts rambling about the "open container" of obviously closed Gin and the officers "legitimate concern for his safety" even though the car hadn't gone more than four feet if that before he got wasted.

The police have only themselves to blame if more crazies decide to take shots at them. You put on that blue uniform your responsible for the actions of everyone else wearing it whether you like it or not, same as with the military and deservingly so.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dexo posted:

Nah, He's a campus cop, and the dude essentially said his goal is to disband the campus police and let CPD handle it.

This dude is hosed.

It doesn't matter, SA is an echo chamber with the occasional apologist, the victim is being blamed left and right, here's a quote from a facebook comment in my feed.

quote:

So many things wrong on both sides idk about this one, Id say he didnt shoot him on purpose he accidentally shot him on purpose, thats hard to say when you draw your gun to potentially shoot someone but i still dont think its a hate crime at all.

As you can see, there are plenty of people blaming the victim and claiming the officer just killed a person on accident... a simple mistake that we all make all the time, give him a break guys!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

"Accidentally shot him on purpose." :psyduck:

"I'm not ready to loving murder you yet, wait a min.... oops."

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

As you can see, there are plenty of people blaming the victim and claiming the officer just killed a person on accident... a simple mistake that we all make all the time, give him a break guys!

Sure, if by "plenty of people" you mean "one person on your facebook feed". For all we know, your social media anecdotes are as representative of the public as this thread is.

Tensing turned himself in, he was indicted inordinately fast, and the DA has been appropriately shell-shocked. He's hosed.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 29, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

CommanderApaul posted:

After watching the video several times I could almost buy that he inappropriately had his gun out and negligently discharged (there are no accidental discharges) during the struggle, but even if that's what actually happened, he hosed himself by lying about being dragged. Props to Deters for holding back the video despite enormous pressure to release it.

I wonder if there is a dashcam video?

It does look like he is bringing the gun up as the car starts to move, he discharges it as he is (or right before) falling. He never really seems to aim it (hard to tell from that angle).

Might be able to sell it to a jury.

The other thing, why was the car still running and in gear (don't see Dubose putting it in gear). If his foot slips off the break the car will roll forward a little, 1 sec later he's dead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

See that's the thing. If all these arguments were reasons that juries found someone not guilty, that's one thing. But depressingly commonly these arguments are the reasons the investigations are never started or stopped after the media dies down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm usually a pessimist, but I don't see a jury not convicting him.

He may not get the life, he may get Manslaughter or some other lighter penalty, but he's not walking away from this.

The problem before has always been getting these things past the prosecutors and get them to actually try the case seriously. That happened quick as hell here.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Dahn posted:

I wonder if there is a dashcam video?

It does look like he is bringing the gun up as the car starts to move, he discharges it as he is (or right before) falling. He never really seems to aim it (hard to tell from that angle).

The other thing, why was the car still running and in gear (don't see Dubose putting it in gear). If his foot slips off the break the car will roll forward a little, 1 sec later he's dead.

There's no dash cam in the cruiser when the bodycam video shows him inside the car, and the department says there isn't dash cam video of the incident. We had dashcams when I was there but they were lovely as hell, and that was at least 3 sets of cruisers ago as well.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, it's plenty likely all Tensing will get is a few years. And while that would be awful, I would not be surprised. But to claim that he'll be let off with a wink and a pat on the back is inordinately pessimistic.

The killers of Michael Brown and Eric Garner got away with it precisely because of a lack - or a sufficient ambiguity of - evidence. This is not the case for the death of Samuel DuBose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how all initial reports said he handed the officer the bottle of gin when asked for his ID. I assume that was just one piece of bullshit from Tensing's report?

• Locked thread