Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

If you try and defend the tab-targeting in this game then I can only assume you've never played another MMO before because holy poo poo it's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

nuru posted:

I really like the image of doublestep having an elaborate rope and pulley system around his desk attached to his mouse though.

The only rope and pulley system I need is a long thick rope and something to tie it to :cheerdoge:

Jia posted:

If you try and defend the tab-targeting in this game then I can only assume you've never played another MMO before because holy poo poo it's awful

There's a difference between defending it and telling people to learn to use the current one because it's never changing

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If I post an act log of a Bard doing 750 on Faust can someone take a look and figure out out what's up? The other Bard I've run Savage with puts out 1050ish so I'm just baffled. My only guess was not using WM since the log doesn't show it, but they say they activated it beforehand (which makes sense anyway).

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

nuru posted:

If I post an act log of a Bard doing 750 on Faust can someone take a look and figure out out what's up? The other Bard I've run Savage with puts out 1050ish so I'm just baffled. My only guess was not using WM since the log doesn't show it, but they say they activated it beforehand (which makes sense anyway).

You can check pretty easy if he's using Empyreal arrow or not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Where's my loving Twintania mount Yoshi aaaaaaaaaa

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Doublestep posted:

There's a difference between defending it and telling people to learn to use the current one because it's never changing

Related protip: the game prioritizes the leftmost unit it can see as its first target.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

Sure, I can take a look.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I`m having this weird issue with distorted texture LODs like this:

Has anyone had this kind of issue or have any idea on how to solve it? I already tried reinstalling the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pigbottom posted:

I`m having this weird issue with distorted texture LODs like this:

Has anyone had this kind of issue or have any idea on how to solve it? I already tried reinstalling the game.

That looks fine to me, doubt reinstalling would change anything. I play in 3440x1440 and I hardly notice any distortion.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where's my loving Twintania mount Yoshi aaaaaaaaaa

Tomorrow.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

That looks fine to me, doubt reinstalling would change anything. I play in 3440x1440 and I hardly notice any distortion.
It wasn`t like that before. Of that I`m sure because I spent a lot of time enjoying the view. And now it looks like the city is melting. My immersion... :negative:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pigbottom posted:

It wasn`t like that before. Of that I`m sure because I spent a lot of time enjoying the view. And now it looks like the city is melting. My immersion... :negative:

Show the map where you are.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I just realized the keybind settings claim that targeting is nearest to farthest when that is a filthy loving lie, as it goes from left to right.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Show the map where you are.

That is middle La Noscea next to the zephyr gate.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Boten Anna posted:

I just realized the keybind settings claim that targeting is nearest to farthest when that is a filthy loving lie, as it goes from left to right.

Nearest (to the left) :laugh:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

bonewitch posted:

Sure, I can take a look.

I don't have the full log handy, but someone gave me a screenshot of his opening that is somewhat useful to look at:

(*) look like dot ticks.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeah the targeting has been my only complaint about FFXIV (well aside from the plot-tsunami between 2.1-2.55, which I'll admit is partly my fault for not taking a break). It's really noticeable when there are a lot of mobs or you have mobs joining a scrum mid-fight.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

nuru posted:

I don't have the full log handy, but someone gave me a screenshot of his opening that is somewhat useful to look at:

(*) look like dot ticks.

While his opener doesn't appear to be completely optimized, and he isn't using Blunt Arrow/Repelling Shot on cooldown there's nothing major sticking out there that would cause such low numbers without seeing his buff usage.

e;

quote:

Well he hosed up and used Barrage on Heavyshot instead of Empyreal arrow

I somehow assumed that the triple heavy shot was a bug in the parser instead of the obvious and right answer, that's a big red mark too.

Bland fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 29, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ilifinicus posted:

as someone who rides the gobwalker in Alexander 2 Savage let me tell you about tab targeting and the targeting bar not having enough entries to show the bomb at certain points

Thanks for confirming my need to make a bomb-specific targeting macro for A2S I guess. :psyduck:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

nuru posted:

(*) look like dot ticks.

Well he hosed up and used Barrage on Heavyshot instead of Empyreal arrow, and it takes FOREVER for flame circle to pop up. Also sidewinder seems to be really late on there.
But really this isn't enough to go on. Next time get a screenshot of the pie chart showing us the percentages, that might help a bit. Also make sure he's getting all of his buffs up before popping sidewinder and the triple emp arrow.
Mainly bard is just about hitting everything as soon as its off cooldown, for the most part. Theres a lot of delays here, if this is from the start of the pull.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

(*) look like dot ticks.

It's hard to pick it apart without seeing his buff usage as well, though putting barrage on heavy shot is one mistake that sticks out to me right away.

Some basic tips that may or may not apply to him:
- Always let dots tick as long as possible, you want to be re-upping them pretty much as they fall off
- Combo buffs with IJ whenever possible
- Barrage on Emp always
- Use Flaming Arrow, Blunt Shot on cd and Repelling shot whenever possible (on faust its easy, other fights you might want it for mobility)

Edit: ^ this as well. Sidewinder is 20s after pull which means buffs have probably started falling off, and Flaming is a whopping 30s after pull, which means all buffs have fallen off (assuming a moderately sane opener).

terrified of my bathroom fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks. I'll get a better log when I get home.

bonewitch posted:

It's hard to pick it apart without seeing his buff usage as well, though putting barrage on heavy shot is one mistake that sticks out to me right away.

Gally posted:

But really this isn't enough to go on. Next time get a screenshot of the pie chart showing us the percentages, that might help a bit. Also make sure he's getting all of his buffs up before popping sidewinder and the triple emp arrow.

Here's a csv with everything in the pull: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KUWc5GafKd5z6Zi_9laAqtpjMkxdlkyiUbundj_U028/edit#gid=1615175881

nuru fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 29, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is Duty Finder cross-server?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Is Duty Finder cross-server?

Duty Finder pulls from your Datacenter (Primal, Aether, etc), and each contains something like 12 servers.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

Thanks. I'll get a better log when I get home.

Here's a csv with everything in the pull: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KUWc5GafKd5z6Zi_9laAqtpjMkxdlkyiUbundj_U028/edit#gid=1615175881

Okay yeah, his opener is a shitshow. Link him to Krietor's guide and tell him to use that opener and his dps will probably go up by 200 on Faust. He also does stuff like double straight shotting for no reason, Emp sits on CD for 5+ seconds, etc that will help his dps a lot if he fixes it.

Also easiest thing to do is just to export an .act file.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
How does Iron Jaws do snapshots? When you use it to reset the timer on your DoTs, do those DoTs continue with the buffs that they had when they were first applied, or does Iron Jaws re-snapshot your status?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kafziel posted:

How does Iron Jaws do snapshots? When you use it to reset the timer on your DoTs, do those DoTs continue with the buffs that they had when they were first applied, or does Iron Jaws re-snapshot your status?

Re-snapshots. If they extended snapshots you could just keep mega buffed dots up the entire fight (please SE :shepspends:)

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

bonewitch posted:

Re-snapshots. If they extended snapshots you could just keep mega buffed dots up the entire fight (please SE :shepspends:)

Dang, that's exactly what I was hoping you could do. I mean, Contagion works that way.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do combat retainers care about anything besides item level in regards to how many hq's they bring back?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Do combat retainers care about anything besides item level in regards to how many hq's they bring back?

DoW/DoM retainers care only about ilvl. DoL retainers care only about Gathering skill.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
With all the new Heavensward skills, I'm starting to notice how inefficient my hotbar setup is (especially for dragoon, since it has a million buttons you're pressing at all times) and want to experiment with other ones.

Is there a file I can backup so if I gently caress them up completely, I can just restore that backup and get my old hotbars back?

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

With all the new Heavensward skills, I'm starting to notice how inefficient my hotbar setup is (especially for dragoon, since it has a million buttons you're pressing at all times) and want to experiment with other ones.

Is there a file I can backup so if I gently caress them up completely, I can just restore that backup and get my old hotbars back?

On the launcher under Settings -> Backup Tool. It'll let you back up and restore your settings, which includes hotbars.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Gizmo Chicken posted:

On the launcher under Settings -> Backup Tool. It'll let you back up and restore your settings, which includes hotbars.

Oh great, I didn't realize the game had a built-in tool for that. I thought I'd need to make a copy of some character file. Thanks!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If DoTs still tick every three seconds, such that an 18 second DoT always means six ticks of that much Potency (or maybe less if it lines up awkwardly), how does Spell Speed affect DoT damage? Does it still not?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Didn't see anything in the last two pages, so I'll ask: does the game work on Windows 10? That's pretty much the only reason I'm hesitant to click the upgrade button.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Kazinsal posted:

Didn't see anything in the last two pages, so I'll ask: does the game work on Windows 10? That's pretty much the only reason I'm hesitant to click the upgrade button.

I've been playing on Windows 10 for a few months with no issues so far.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ferrinus posted:

If DoTs still tick every three seconds, such that an 18 second DoT always means six ticks of that much Potency (or maybe less if it lines up awkwardly), how does Spell Speed affect DoT damage? Does it still not?

It is determination for dots now.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Design a hairstyle.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

First person to design an afro for females will win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just give me the catgirl pigtails on Au'ra, please.

• Locked thread