Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Would female patrician enabled Republics be able to do matri marriages though? I thought that was the hard-coded aspect - like with Muslims you could always enable female succession, but doing so would lead to a game over within a generation because you wouldn't have the ability to produce an heir of your dynasty (although I suppose you can sidestep that now with seduction focus and producing a bunch of bastards).

The last time I tried (late-2014?) republics were still hard coded to never be able to do a matrilineal marriage. So yes, while it was trivial to make it so that republics could do full cognatic, it just meant that you were going to lose at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Crusades are a lot more frustrating when there's a Phantom Italian Duke with 200 men glued to your 10k stack stealing the siege leader position from you every time you stand still. He even loving stays the leader regardless of whether he has troops in the county or not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think one of the reasons for why Cognatic inheritance is so rare in CK2, is that the AI really can't handle it. I've done a Cathar HRE run, and the AI very commonly married away their firstborn girls in normal marriages, even if they were princesses, and the husband was the fourth son of a Count.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I think one of the reasons for why Cognatic inheritance is so rare in CK2, is that the AI really can't handle it. I've done a Cathar HRE run, and the AI very commonly married away their firstborn girls in normal marriages, even if they were princesses, and the husband was the fourth son of a Count.

Yeah I've seen a lot of female heirs, or even rulers, taking regular marriages in my games. I think the thing is that the "prefer a matrilineal marriage" penalty is just a modifier, not a blocker like "may not marry an infidel", so with enough positive modifiers the AI will completely ignore it even if it means the dynasty loses the title.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Broken Cog posted:

Basically, the bias for "would prefer a matrilineal marriage" for female rulers and heirs isn't strong enough, but then fixing that could be called a nerf to "marrying heiresses to get their lands for your dynasty" so it's a bit of a tightrope walk. Still, it's something Paradox could probably change pretty easily, even within the existing diplomatic deal-judging mechanics (as they are presented to the player, anyway).

That said, players only care about matrimarriages under Cognatic/Enatic because if they don't get them it's game over. The AI doesn't really have that concern to the same degree: the name above that shield may not matter to it as much as a really good alliance or a ton of prestige from the marriage or whatever is overcoming the modifier.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dallan Invictus posted:

Basically, the bias for "would prefer a matrilineal marriage" for female rulers and heirs isn't strong enough, but then fixing that could be called a nerf to "marrying heiresses to get their lands for your dynasty" so it's a bit of a tightrope walk. Still, it's something Paradox could probably change pretty easily, even within the existing diplomatic deal-judging mechanics (as they are presented to the player, anyway).

That said, players only care about matrimarriages under Cognatic/Enatic because if they don't get them it's game over. The AI doesn't really have that concern to the same degree: the name above that shield may not matter to it as much as a really good alliance or a ton of prestige from the marriage or whatever is overcoming the modifier.
Logically, one would imagine the strength of it should be connected to the local gender law. Matrilineal preference should be weakest or virtually nonexistent in agnatic realms, up to being "as strong as regular marriage preference for men" in true cognatic realms.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In the thumbnail I thought that was High Rock and that the Elder Kings mod had updated, finally.

I enlarged it, but my pain was mollified.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's surprising how often I can get my daughters matrilineally married to heirs of counties or sometimes duchies or even occasionally kingdoms, either because the heir hates his father and will accept an invite to my court or because he's somehow in a court other than his father's and his liege doesn't give a poo poo about him and is like "yeah cool whatever." It's always been a semi-useful tactic for spreading my dynasty around the world, and it's cool when it pays off 300 years down the line when I'm poking around for a way to take some land and oh hey there are guys of my dynasty with claims because of the woman I matrimarried off to an heir to that duchy six generations ago.

There was one memorable game I played a year and a half ago wherein someone of my (small custom) dynasty somehow managed to become Basileus when my own character was still just a HRE duke. The more I've played the game the more I've gravitated away from "try to conquer the world in 100 years" and toward "just sit back and play politics/plots and have a bunch of kids and spend a few centuries seeding my dynasty around the world."

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 29, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Solemn Sloth posted:

Started off a new game of After the End with the new patch, playing as the Celestial Empire of California.

Managed to make The Valley and Gran Francisco my tributary, along with claiming Marin and San Fran for myself after a Haida adventurer conquered it but over-extended himself trying to take on the entirety of Jefferson allowing me to successfully wage a holy war.

Making mad money currently, and then looking to expand my realm up enough to reassert imperial power.

I started as Socal, because shortly after the West Coast was implemented I tried an Emperor of California game and was really annoyed (yet impressed, that is seriously some good coding) by the restrictions in place. I expanded slightly into the Grand Canyon and Tijuana areas, then everything went off the rails. The king of Gran Francisco took Sacramento, dethroning the Emperor, then he and the King of the Valley became Atomicist. I holy warred Gran Fran, then took advantage of a claim war on the Valley to press the claim of one of my many, many daughters (My four wives would each squirt out three girls before being unfaithful or just straight-up dying, luckily I implemented Absolute Cognatic).

Now I have a solid ally to aid me in my new Hubbard-given quest: Reform the rightful empire with none of this figurehead bullshit.

Edit: There's a typo somewhere in the name lists, because the king of... Jefferson, I think (not looking at the game at the moment) is named Vincent_Vincenze.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 29, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There was one memorable game I played a year and a half ago wherein someone of my (small custom) dynasty somehow managed to become Basileus when my own character was still just a HRE duke. The more I've played the game the more I've gravitated away from "try to conquer the world in 100 years" and toward "just sit back and play politics/plots and have a bunch of kids and spend a few centuries seeding my dynasty around the world."

Yeah I find trying to kickstart my dynasty in their own kingdoms is a lot more fun than just forming one mega empire. I had a similar experience to you in one of my very first games - I was playing a Cathar Ireland game and somehow got one of my dynasty members high up in line to inherit the Byzantine empire (I forget what I did exactly but it was basically a lucky marriage and a couple assassinations and then they were right there next in line). A few decades later the entire Byzantine empire had converted to Cathar and I hadn't even formed Britannia yet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Can you guys give me some tips for doing a Tribal -> Feudalism run? Seems like it takes forever to get the money to do it, and if I conquer territory to get more money it ends up splitting amongst my sons when my ruler dies.

Then when I do manage to convert to Feudalism I immediately get attacked. Should I be developing my other territories other than my capital?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think that this is ultimately why it happens so much: the AI weighs alliances more heavily than dynastic continuity, and it's easier to get good alliances with a patrimarriage.

Away all Goats posted:

Can you guys give me some tips for doing a Tribal -> Feudalism run? Seems like it takes forever to get the money to do it, and if I conquer territory to get more money it ends up splitting amongst my sons when my ruler dies.

Then when I do manage to convert to Feudalism I immediately get attacked. Should I be developing my other territories other than my capital?

I've successfully done it with Ivar the Boneless in a single character. The basic procedure is to conquer all of Ireland with pagan conquests, relocate your capital to Ireland, and you should have piety to convert to Catholicism, and make sure that you're upgrading your fort as often as you can. But yeah, if you can't pull it off before Ivar dies, then you're in it for the long haul, since conquests are the easiest way to get the piety you need, and by the time you've secured Ireland the English and Welsh dukes usually have an alliance with at least one Karling.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I find trying to kickstart my dynasty in their own kingdoms is a lot more fun than just forming one mega empire. I had a similar experience to you in one of my very first games - I was playing a Cathar Ireland game and somehow got one of my dynasty members high up in line to inherit the Byzantine empire (I forget what I did exactly but it was basically a lucky marriage and a couple assassinations and then they were right there next in line). A few decades later the entire Byzantine empire had converted to Cathar and I hadn't even formed Britannia yet.

Yeah, and if I know I'll be farming one of my kids out (either by marrying a fifth son to a countess/duchess or a daughter matrilineally to an heir) I like to try to get them +intrigue traits and an Elusive Shadow education. Unleash someone with 21 Intrigue whose kids are going to be in line for inheritances and... :getin: This is only if they're nowhere near my own succession though of course, lest my heir wake up one morning with a dagger lodged between his shoulder blades.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So when Nomads settle, how is it decided what the boundaries of their new Empire will be? Also, small complaint, but couldn't there be more interesting empire names than the "The Empire of X" where X is the name of the province you settled in?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

ZombieLenin posted:

So when Nomads settle, how is it decided what the boundaries of their new Empire will be? Also, small complaint, but couldn't there be more interesting empire names than the "The Empire of X" where X is the name of the province you settled in?

Wait, that's really what happens?

New mission, conquer Rome and settle it. Create a heathen Asian Empire of Rome. Post on Paradox Plaza and bathe in tears.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
^ This guy, this guy I like!
For Turkic Rome! :hist101:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Is there a reason the Mongols at the Mongol start date instantly settle as feudal? Kind of takes the wind out of their sales.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sky Shadowing posted:

Wait, that's really what happens?

New mission, conquer Rome and settle it. Create a heathen Asian Empire of Rome. Post on Paradox Plaza and bathe in tears.

Yes, I'm currently the might Khan of the Empire of Merv.

Pretty lame.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
You an always change the name of your empire though, right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hey they finally fixed the tournaments so the winner is random! :woop:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

StarMinstrel posted:

You an always change the name of your empire though, right?

Sure you can. It just would be cool if it didn't default to something so plain.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey so After the End guys, something going on in 0.6 that I'm not 100% sure is WAD, but it may be. I'm playing as Duchy of Olympus (and now Kingdom of Cascadia), and a lot of the native guys north of me in BC/Vancouver Island seem to be forming pretty big hosts of about 4400 people, who they send on raids at me. That's fine, but there's so many of these hosts that I'm basically never not driving one out, I'm lucky to get three uninterrupted months (and this is aside from the regular wars, raids, etc.). Sometimes, in the middle of raiding me, they actually declare on me for a duchy of mine or whatever.

I mean it'll be irrelevant in the end because I can't take my last de jure provinces from California anyway right now, so my push north is going to wipe the fuckers all out soon enough, but thought you should know in case that's not intentional behavior.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McGavin posted:

Hey they finally fixed the tournaments so the winner is random! :woop:

Just yesterday my 66 year old ruler won his own tournament. I'd never seen that happen before at any age.

I thought the tournament results were always random except biased against the player, though? It would make a lot more sense for them to work off Martial score and personal combat skill.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just yesterday my 66 year old ruler won his own tournament. I'd never seen that happen before at any age.

I thought the tournament results were always random except biased against the player, though? It would make a lot more sense for them to work off Martial score and personal combat skill.

Originally they were random, but back in 2.1.5.6 something got changed so that the date that a player character could win the tournament became fixed to a specific date, which was almost always much later than everyone else at the tournament became eligible to win. The end result was almost always that the winners were decided way before the player character even had a chance to win. Now, as far as I can tell, it's fixed so that winning is a random chance based on your martial score.

I had heard that it was because the random number generator was bugged and returning non-random results in certain cases and fixing it required a fairly extensive code rewrite.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I did it!

Started as the count of Värmland in 867, still a unreformed pagan. There was no chance in hell I would be able to reform with that start, elective gavelkind is not the easiest to play with. One of the biggest problems I had was that I had no idea which holdings I would lose if I got another son so I never knew which one to spend all my prestige in. Also, raiding as a lowly count is not so easy as it might sound, most of the time I wasn't even able to raise enough men to be able to siege holdings. And when I did the target immediately raised his own forces and crushed me. The king of Italy had a single holding in Rome so whenever I turned up there he would kill me so no easy money.

I'm not sure what to do now, everyone, every single realm in Europe, is catholic, including the Magyars, Byzantium and the nomads. I can't attack anyone since they all call each other to war and/or are related.
Anyone have any good tips, should I try to convert to Christianity , how if so?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Anyone have any good tips, should I try to convert to Christianity , how if so?

Reform the faith and raid, burn, and conquer your way across Europe. Start with the British Isles because even if they call everyone else into war no one will bother shipping troops over there.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byzantium in Denmark. :psyduck:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since so much if the world is playing the Catholic claim game you might as well fold and join them, IMO

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Worth with the Muslims to weaken Catholicism but don't convert. Raid frequently and chip away at their weakest points (British Isles as others said).

Alternatively, convert and destroy Catholicism from the inside out in petty revenge. Install anti-popes, etc. Eventually weaken the faith until heresy is common place.

Or, convert to Islam and have the other half of the world with you. Praise Allah~!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
How do the Mongol invasions work now with Horse Lords? I'm playing a game as the Zoroastrian Persian Empire and it's 1179 and I'm starting to wonder how they're handled with the extra provinces.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
From what I've seen they spawn in the new provinces north of India and then either immediately settle and do nothing or stay nomadic and do nothing. AI nomads are surprisingly passive.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WHY DO THEY ALL STILL KEEP CUCKING ME?!??

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

GSD posted:

Byzantium in Denmark. :psyduck:

A french count somehow got a claim on Byzantium, his liege pressed his claim and won. Since he was a french catholic he easily married into a claim to the HRE which had been created pretty early in the game. The HRE has imploded but Byzantium remains strong and has scattered provinces in Germany. Sometimes it's more fun watching the AI go about than play the game yourself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

WHY DO THEY ALL STILL KEEP CUCKING ME?!??

The "your wife is cheating on you" events are so relentlessly common that they're just background noise, worthy of nothing more than a quick click-through.

The Seduction focus isn't well designed, especially for the AI. I'd guess about one in six or so landed nobles take Seduction and then when they do, they gently caress pretty much every woman in the entire realm, and extremely few women resist, and there's no practical recourse for the cucked husbands even when they find out about it.

And it used to be a lot worse when Way of Life still came out, before it was toned down in a patch. (The tone-down mostly involves Seducers declining to take more than three or four lovers, but they still gently caress every woman in the realm; they just don't keep most of them on as lovers.) But it's still fundamentally a badly designed system that was designed to be a toy for players to play with.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 29, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

And it used to be a lot worse when Way of Life still came out, before it was toned down in a patch. (The tone-down mostly involves Seducers declining to take more than three or four lovers, but they still gently caress every woman in the realm; they just don't keep most of them on as lovers.) But it's still fundamentally a badly designed system that was designed to be a toy for players to play with.
Seems like it'd be pretty simple to a) make the AI take seduction much more rarely, b) implement a meaningful cooldown between affairs, or c) both. Don't know why they don't.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i look out the window for ONE loving SECOND after raising up a fresh 16 year old AND DOING RIGHT BY HER and when i look back shes getting RAILED by TWO RANDOM SHMUCKS

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

The "your wife is cheating on you" events are so relentlessly common that they're just background noise, worthy of nothing more than a quick click-through.

The Seduction focus isn't well designed, especially for the AI. I'd guess about one in six or so landed nobles take Seduction and then when they do, they gently caress pretty much every woman in the entire realm, and extremely few women resist, and there's no practical recourse for the cucked husbands even when they find out about it.

Strudel Man posted:

Seems like it'd be pretty simple to a) make the AI take seduction much more rarely, b) implement a meaningful cooldown between affairs, or c) both. Don't know why they don't.
I think I'll just do it myself at this point honestly, either setting that loving thing to be ai = no or just downloading something from the steam.

my precious daughter isnt out of highschool and shes already got the lovers pox D:

and dont get me started on my dad's six bitch wives who died in the dungeon

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Seduction really is FUBAR. It needs a complete rework or needs to be lobotomized. If you're on a first name basis with the Pope because you drop by every year or so to get a divorce because your wife is once again loving somebody else behind your back just like the other X-1 wives before her, something has gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Way Of Life in general needs a rework. I think every focus should have some kind of unique action you can take on provinces or characters. As it stands, a lot of the ways of life seem to have very little effect since other than the stat increases you're relying on RNG to deliver the unique events. Hunting is alright because the events you get from that are common enough you typically see the effect every time you take it, but like, Business and Scholarship you can go a whole lifetime and never see any events from it.

• Locked thread