Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

They don't need to be notarized in Cali?

Nope. I can try posting a pic of my title later. It is perforated so that the seller can tear their side off, sign it, and mail it in. The buyer then takes their half in to the DMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Same in Ontario. Perforated sheet with the title and deets.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here in Ireland there's little or no chance anyone will take a cheque of any kind for a private vehicle sale, way too much chance of gettign scammed and also who the gently caress still uses cheques, you show up with a load of cash, fill your details in on the registration booklet for them to post to the Vehicle licensing Dept, then drive home. There's no sales tax on private second hand vehicle sales.
Your updated registration booklet arrives a few days later in the post.

For larger amounts of money you'd go meet at the bank and withdraw cash/get a bank draft in person, but less than 5-6000 i'd be showing up with cash to wave around, and if i was stopped by the police en route and asked why i had 5 grand on me (if it ever even came up) "I'm going to buy a car" would be an acceptable answer.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
The seller's signature has to be notarized here in MT, but not the buyer.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I just use Swish (silly name) for all transactions to private parties, and my debit card for regular shopping. Not even being hyperbolic when I say I haven't had a coin or banknote on me in over three months. Even used Swish when I bought the El Camino, just swished the guy his money, took the keys and left.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Dealing with several states on the east coast the only time I ever needed a notary was if you were trying to screw the state out of its bullshit double taxation by under reporting the sale price below book value.

Edit: Always have used cash monies, except for car purchase that was over 10k - both parties went to bank A, buyer gets bank check while seller looks over shoulder seeing all is legit, drive to bank B and deposit, notarize, whatever.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 30, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Or Illinois as far as I know.

Or Oregon. Here the seller just signs the spot on the back, hands you the title, you sign it and take it to the DMV, they mail you the new title with your name on it in about a week.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm sure like 99.9% of the time that works out fine but it's just kind of sketchy to me cause as soon as you sign it and get it notarized that title isn't really yours anymore, anyone in possession of it would own it. I'm not worried about cash like others tho so I'm just a hypocrite.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I just use Swish (silly name) for all transactions to private parties
Swish is the service I was describing in IRC yesterday.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Infinotize posted:

Dealing with several states on the east coast the only time I ever needed a notary was if you were trying to screw the state out of its bullshit double taxation by under reporting the sale price below book value.

drat, that sucks. Making a large mistake when filling in the sale price is like, expected and openly discussed prior to the handshake here in CA (for private party CL type stuff). I'm honestly surprised the state hasn't switched to a notary system yet now that you mention it. It's total bullshit double taxation.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Here in KY they don't care what the sale price is they have their own numbers. What suuuuucks is that my 1992 BMW is starting to appreciate in value, and on top of that they've started taxing older cars more since people are poor and keeping old cars longer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Apparently a DMV or other "PennDOT agent" is required for transferring a title in PA. I never knew. The only vehicles I've bought from somewhere other than a dealer were from Ohio, so the seller just had their release signature notarized and I took it to a notary/registration place when I got home. Seems simpler that way. v:shobon:v

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

revmoo posted:

Here in KY they don't care what the sale price is they have their own numbers. What suuuuucks is that my 1992 BMW is starting to appreciate in value, and on top of that they've started taxing older cars more since people are poor and keeping old cars longer.

I think the state caught on a few years back that not every vehicle in the state was worth less than 500 dollars.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I think the state caught on a few years back that not every vehicle in the state was worth less than 500 dollars.

When I bought my bike I signed the pink slip at the price I paid because I was concerned my insurance would try to gently caress me if I claimed I only paid $500 for it. I guess they can't do that?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Chichevache posted:

When I bought my bike I signed the pink slip at the price I paid because I was concerned my insurance would try to gently caress me if I claimed I only paid $500 for it. I guess they can't do that?

Not really, who's to say you're not a smooth negotiator? Doesn't mean you should be screwed on an insurance claim. They usually go by ACV--Actual Cash Value (AKA the real value of the bike minus $1000).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

Not really, who's to say you're not a smooth negotiator? Doesn't mean you should be screwed on an insurance claim. They usually go by ACV--Actual Cash Value (AKA the real value of the bike minus $1000).

Well poo poo. :mad:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I actually bought my bike for 500 bucks, but the state of Texas informed me that was too low a value, and charged me taxes on what they thought I should have paid. It's bullshit.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

I actually bought my bike for 500 bucks, but the state of Texas informed me that was too low a value, and charged me taxes on what they thought I should have paid. It's bullshit.

If you had paid over the value I bet they wouldn't have lowered your tax!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

If you had paid over the value I bet they wouldn't have lowered your tax!

I believe you are correct.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Paying taxes on vehicle purchases sounds dreadful, pity I have never experienced it. :smugdog:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Paying taxes on vehicle purchases sounds dreadful, pity I have never experienced it. :smugdog:

Same.

Ditto with all this 'go to the DMV' or 'go to the bank' lunacy. Hand over the money in whatever format is preferred, take eachother's details, fill out an ownership change form online for $5.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Day Man posted:

I've always thought that in this scenario the state should be obligated to buy the vehicle at the assessed price right there, if you so choose, to dis-incentivize over valuation. Like, they gave you a document where it says what they think it's worth and you just check the well-loving-buy-it-then box.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I was in the truck today sitting at a stoplight opposite from two sportbikes and a scooter. Light changes and the guy on the scooter rips a SICK wheelie ahead of the sportbike guys. I throw him the horns and I can see the other two are laughing their rear end off.

bieks are cool

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

revmoo posted:

On that note, always spring for replacement cost on your insurance policy, instead of ACV. It's a pretty big kick in the balls to finally get through your claim and have less than you need to replace your bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
http://monstertales.ducati.com/en/monstersday?_ga=1.26108797.1760297513.1436296910

Well, that pile of bullshit in my inbox has just dropped the Monster to the bottom of my list. Fucks sake.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's loving insufferable.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
You'll never be a true monsterista.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
My brain can only read "ducatisti" as douche.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a group so opposed to *motorcycle marketing*, you all pay an awful lot of attention to it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

For a group so opposed to *motorcycle marketing*, you all pay an awful lot of attention to it.

I'm aware of the irony.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I feel like I have a special connection with Harley owners at this point, where I catch myself saying "No, really, ignore the other guys. They're great bikes."

Harleys are legitimately good bikes, however, as are Monsters.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Most of the Harley hate seems to stem from people expecting stuff that they were never designed for in the first place while ignoring the intended use. Kind of like "this refrigerator sucks because it doesn't cook my meals, cold food is so boring".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Most of the Harley hate seems to stem from people expecting stuff that they were never designed for in the first place while ignoring the intended use. Kind of like "this refrigerator sucks because it doesn't cook my meals, cold food is so boring".

Most of the Harley hate stems from the terrible cult mentality that half of America seems to have embraced despite never riding a motorcycle. Sons of Anarchy and other masturbatory nonsense does not help. If Gixxer bros had the same mainstream presence we would be making the same comments about them. Fortunately they do not.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

How else are you supposed to get a proper spite worked up?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 31, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uhhhh... do you not have facebook or something? Do you ever leave the house? I don't even watch television anymore (just football and netflix) and I still can't avoid it. How many stories in the "Overheard Stupid Motorcycle" thread are about people approaching you and starting conversations about this poo poo? Unless you're an absolute recluse with no internet connection it is practically impossible to avoid this stuff. As soon as someone notices you're wearing gear they try to make conversation. In fact, that's one of the biggest selling points of motorcycles - even the MSF classes mention it- is culture. Riding culture. Motorcycle culture. Waving at other riders on the road.

If you have a bike, you're going to be exposed to bike stuff, and therefore Harley stuff.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There's exposure, and then there's obsession.

Chichevache posted:

How many stories in the "Overheard Stupid Motorcycle" thread are about people approaching you and starting conversations about this poo poo?

When I read those stories all I get out of them is "I am a complete social cripple and totally snubbed somebody trying to be friendly"

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 31, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well, the example that started it was delivered by email and not sought out so

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

There's exposure, and then there's obsession.

I don't think it is obsessive to make jokes on an internet forum dedicated to jokes. It isn't like we take it into the real world and write "gently caress harleys" on our bikes or go out trying to convert harley riders to motorcycles we approve of. In fact, we do the healthy thing and blow off steam in a thread specifically dedicated to blowing off steam.

You own two Buells and seduced your poor brother into owning one as well. That's obsessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

You own two Buells and seduced your poor brother into owning one as well. That's obsessed.

I'm not even talking about Buells, but for some reason you bring it up as a negative example of enthusiasm. Who is obsessed?