Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I decided to try out Planetside 2 today on the PS4 and its super stupid how the game doesn't have a goddamn tutorial to explain anything at all. Also the options are terrible seeing as there's no way to adjust the hud when it goes off screen.

Don't worry, it took like 2 years for the PC version to get a tutorial (that doesn't actually help).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. And id do Combos behind and it still did like. ..5 damage per hit. I've bean both dark souls and am familiar with the play which is why I was so frustrated. I'd dodge roll and combo and it'd Jusy be a plink plink.

I was following a walk through and I didn't see another direction to go. The mission said get Las low or whatever so I am kind of lost there, haha. I'll try another way, but it involves a ton of backtracking.

I beat two bosses and they took forever to kill too. The warden? Took like 30 minutes.

30 minutes in one try sounds way too long so I really don't know what to tell you there. Like on paper you should be doing way more damage than you say you are so I wonder if there's a bug or something, it almost sounds like one of those trolls developers put in games if they think you pirated it where the game seems to run normally but it silently makes you unplayably weak or whatever. You may want to try starting another save as the cleric or knight just to see if they work better though, since they're way easier to use and I had pretty smooth sailing as the cleric in that part of the game.

To keep going from that checkpoint though, you shouldn't need to backtrack at all. The other way to go is right next to the checkpoint through the doorway as shown here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jastiger posted:

I was following a walk through and I didn't see another direction to go.

See that's where you hosed up dude. The best part of souls games is exploring and figuring poo poo out. Drop the walkthrough and just have fun finding new paths.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

30 minutes in one try sounds way too long so I really don't know what to tell you there. Like on paper you should be doing way more damage than you say you are so I wonder if there's a bug or something, it almost sounds like one of those trolls developers put in games if they think you pirated it where the game seems to run normally but it silently makes you unplayably weak or whatever. You may want to try starting another save as the cleric or knight just to see if they work better though, since they're way easier to use and I had pretty smooth sailing as the cleric in that part of the game.

To keep going from that checkpoint though, you shouldn't need to backtrack at all. The other way to go is right next to the checkpoint through the doorway as shown here

Lol literally retarded. The door is RIGHT THERE.

Zaphod42 posted:

See that's where you hosed up dude. The best part of souls games is exploring and figuring poo poo out. Drop the walkthrough and just have fun finding new paths.

True and I only picked the walk through because I got it during the winter sale and wanted to power through it. Got pissed, quit. Now all of those games are done and here I am going back to it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Photux posted:

If you are talking about quests in your quest log, those have recommended levels displayed. If you're talking about the points of interest marked on the map, then yes, you don't know what level they are until you go there, but you can tell which ones you've done and which ones you've skipped. If you complete a point of interest, it becomes grayed out on the map.

I remembered that in the tutorial and sometimes it looked like I could see it but once I had a bandit camp I had discovered but ran away because they were to high leveled and it looked greyed out too. I don't know if it really was or if I just couldn't tell but I wish they would originally have color or something on the icons so I could tell for sure if they were greyed out or not.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Krinkle posted:

The riddle that cinched it was "tick tock, news flash, someone's not getting out of here alive!" and the answer was "a dead body in the corner". Nothing to do with clocks or newspapers of which there were hundreds in the clock man's room and the newspaper man's room both in the same area. Just one dead body slumped in the corner. Snap a photo and you're done.

His riddles were absolute horse poo poo. I'd rather have had like four good riddles that made sense than a hundred bullshit spot the green paint or take a photo of the thing I just said quests.

I'm real late on this but if I remember right that clue was totally legit, you just have to be a bit of a Batman nerd. Tick, tock, Batman, it's Killer Croc! Doubles as a Peter Pan reference. His cage is where you find those bones.

In fact most of his clues were just weird backstory references to characters alluded to by setpieces. Wrong thread for that but that was such a great game for environment design.

I finally catch up on this thread and I have nothing to complain about though. :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hero Of The Kingdom is a fun little psuedo-RPG for a dollar fifty, but hot drat do I wish it had a quest log where I could see how much of an item I need where, instead of blindly clicking, forgetting to write it down, then going where I vaguely remember the quest giver being.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did I miss something or did SMTIV completely not explain the use of the directional pad when exploring the environment?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did I miss something or did SMTIV completely not explain the use of the directional pad when exploring the environment?

Is that how you look up and down and everything? If so they briefly explain it when you first enter the dungeon from the original town.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, now we know what enemies you're facing it's definitely the "strongest regular enemies in the game" problem you're having. Even at higher levels those guys can take a lot of damage and hit for a bunch in return - ignore them for now and go down towards the snowy grave. Progression isn't marked particularly clearly.

Only now do I understand the baffling words of Blade from the movie Blade.
Some mother fuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill.

I just don't know why he said it to a vampire just before cutting his head off.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I was really enjoying the tactical combat of Valkyria Chronicles but the gimmick battles are killing my desire to play. First you have a giant boss fight against a tank that keeps throwing more and nore gimmicks at you (culminating in an invincible soldier showing up during the final stage of the boss with a weapon that can one-shot anyone on ypur team), then immediately after that a night-time forced stealth section with a character that can only limp slowly and a map full of mortars and soldiers that can one-shot you, and then after slogging through all that I get half of a normal battle follwed by yet another gimmicky night stealth map where you have to slowly plink at an armored vehicle with machine guns to disable it without blowing it up.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

I was really enjoying the tactical combat of Valkyria Chronicles but the gimmick battles are killing my desire to play. First you have a giant boss fight against a tank that keeps throwing more and nore gimmicks at you (culminating in an invincible soldier showing up during the final stage of the boss with a weapon that can one-shot anyone on ypur team), then immediately after that a night-time forced stealth section with a character that can only limp slowly and a map full of mortars and soldiers that can one-shot you, and then after slogging through all that I get half of a normal battle follwed by yet another gimmicky night stealth map where you have to slowly plink at an armored vehicle with machine guns to disable it without blowing it up.

Fortunately Valkyria Chronicles 2 gets rid of the worst of the gimmick fighting, although it does get a bit anime towards the end.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

VC couldn't get more anime if it tried, but you say it does? How?

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Huszsersvn posted:

spoiler

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I think I got to the last two missions before I went "gently caress it" and watched the ending on youtube. I feel the difficulty shot up weirdly in the last couple missions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huszsersvn posted:

I think it's set in a high school.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Technically Lords of the Fallen is just a blatant Souls game ripoff rather than part of the franchise. :v: And from what I saw of it, the level design doesn't seem nearly as interesting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think I got to the last two missions before I went "gently caress it" and watched the ending on youtube. I feel the difficulty shot up weirdly in the last couple missions.
also they were really really bad

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hero Of The Kingdom is a fun little psuedo-RPG for a dollar fifty, but hot drat do I wish it had a quest log where I could see how much of an item I need where, instead of blindly clicking, forgetting to write it down, then going where I vaguely remember the quest giver being.

Gotta collect all the remaining flowers and fish, better go to the logging camp and eat ham for 2 weeks.

Otherwise a good game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Technically Lords of the Fallen is just a blatant Souls game ripoff rather than part of the franchise. :v: And from what I saw of it, the level design doesn't seem nearly as interesting.

Lords of the fallen is only a "blatant ripoff" as much as every fast paced shooter ever is a doom ripoff. It's a genre that has a lot of room for variation and for devs who aren't from software to put their own spin on it. Most of the people I've seen who say it's a ripoff are the ones who have never played it.

It's riddled with unrelated problems but it absolutely has its own identity. After playing bloodborne and seeing how many technical problems and instances of bad design were dragged back from the souls games for no reason, I really want to see what other devs can do with the genre because right now from software's artists seem a lot more consistently competent than their designers.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Jul 29, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

Well, at least that last one can be finished stupid quick with a well-placed Rosie. The other ones you mentioned are total bullshit, though. The game definitely would've benefited from more traditional missions and fewer gimmicks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lords of the fallen is only a "blatant ripoff" as much as every fast paced shooter ever is a doom ripoff. It's a genre that has a lot of room for variation and for devs who aren't from software to put their own spin on it. Most of the people I've seen who say it's a ripoff are the ones who have never played it.

It's riddled with unrelated problems but it absolutely has its own identity. After playing bloodborne and seeing how many technical problems and instances of bad design were dragged back from the souls games for no reason, I really want to see what other devs can do with the genre because right now from software's artists seem a lot more consistently competent than their designers.

Lords of the Fallen Yay I beat that part and am progressing! The game is really just drug down by samey level design and once and done gimmicks. If the level had been a bit more clearly designed, I don't think I would have been trying to go the wrong way for months. Dark Souls does it better by telegraphing whats happening, why it happens, and how it happens. You're going to die, but you'll learn how. In LotF its like oh haha sorry, yeah thats a one hit kill, just keep grinding until you figure out how to keep your life bar full, idiot". I don't want a hand hold, but I also don't want kicked in the mouth forever without learning anything.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I have and I was mainly talking about less common unique mechanics like the obvious bonfire analogues, having to pick up your lost XP on death, going through fogs to new zones, not to mention having exactly the same control scheme which is also fairly unique. I don't mean "every vaguely medieval RPG is a ripoff of Dark Souls."

I also remember seeing an interview where the devs pretty much said as much (in nicer terms).

In any case my main point is just that the walkthrough thing might not be a bad idea because in the mechanics are nearly the same but the level design not so much.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jul 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jastiger posted:

Lords of the Fallen Yay I beat that part and am progressing! The game is really just drug down by samey level design and once and done gimmicks. If the level had been a bit more clearly designed, I don't think I would have been trying to go the wrong way for months. Dark Souls does it better by telegraphing whats happening, why it happens, and how it happens. You're going to die, but you'll learn how. In LotF its like oh haha sorry, yeah thats a one hit kill, just keep grinding until you figure out how to keep your life bar full, idiot". I don't want a hand hold, but I also don't want kicked in the mouth forever without learning anything.

You say that like there aren't literally thousands of players who started dark souls 1, went into the catacombs first, died, went into the new londo ruins, died, and decided the game was total poo poo. (you're supposed to go up the stairs into undead burg, but lots of people don't even see the stairs)

Which is pretty much what you did in Lords.

Some people figure it out, others don't. If you get stuck you can always look up a youtube video.

I'm not sure "telegraphing whats happening" is something dark souls does. But I like it better for that. I hate games that tell me every little thing to do, dark souls reminded me of Myst in that way you're just freely exploring a world and piecing together what happened and where you can go. In Myst you're free to do any of the ages whenever you want, there's no strict linear ordering.

Honestly I never got confused the way you did in that first level of Lords. It was very clear to me that the set path you're supposed to go is further down the ramparts, and if you go up that side wooden platform that's full of high level dudes it was painfully obvious to me that was an optional area, just like how I went into the catacombs first in dark souls 1, died, and decided to explore around somewhere else. I'm not saying Lords is perfect, its very much not, its pretty much worse than all the other souls games, but the things you're criticizing are not remotely things I had a problem with, they're things I enjoyed. Things I expected, being a souls-genre game. You could criticize Demon's Souls or Dark Souls for the same things and those are the very things I want in this game.

Lords' biggest problem is that the world just isn't remotely as interesting as Souls' worlds are.
The characters are too generic and there's not enough mystery going on.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Jul 29, 2015

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Veotax posted:

I think it's set in a high school.

The sequel (VC2) is set in a military academy. VC1 was not, and neither was VC3.

So yes, it got more anime.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

You say that like there aren't literally thousands of players who started dark souls 1, went into the catacombs first, died, went into the new londo ruins, died, and decided the game was total poo poo. (you're supposed to go up the stairs into undead burg, but lots of people don't even see the stairs)

Which is pretty much what you did in Lords.

Some people figure it out, others don't. If you get stuck you can always look up a youtube video.

I'm not sure "telegraphing whats happening" is something dark souls does. But I like it better for that. I hate games that tell me every little thing to do, dark souls reminded me of Myst in that way you're just freely exploring a world and piecing together what happened and where you can go. In Myst you're free to do any of the ages whenever you want, there's no strict linear ordering.

Honestly I never got confused the way you did in that first level of Lords. It was very clear to me that the set path you're supposed to go is further down the ramparts, and if you go up that side wooden platform that's full of high level dudes it was painfully obvious to me that was an optional area, just like how I went into the catacombs first in dark souls 1, died, and decided to explore around somewhere else. I'm not saying Lords is perfect, its very much not, its pretty much worse than all the other souls games, but the things you're criticizing are not remotely things I had a problem with, they're things I enjoyed. Things I expected, being a souls-genre game. You could criticize Demon's Souls or Dark Souls for the same things and those are the very things I want in this game.

Lords' biggest problem is that the world just isn't remotely as interesting as Souls' worlds are.
The characters are too generic and there's not enough mystery going on.

Eh, I never got lost in Dark Souls either. I've done it a few times in Lords though where I didn't in Souls. In Souls entire areas are like "dun dun DUN, don't go here" because poo poo eats you alive. But in Lords it looks like a path in the same lay out, has the same architecture, and even the same enemy types (there are the same enemies right near where I was fighting the big dudes). There is no "games logic" indication that you shouldn't be there like there is in Souls.

I think you're right about the criticism though. The combat is pretty satisfying, but there just isn't as much going on. Also I can't one shot stuff like I could in Souls, and I wanna do that hehe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Eh, I never got lost in Dark Souls either. I've done it a few times in Lords though where I didn't in Souls. In Souls entire areas are like "dun dun DUN, don't go here" because poo poo eats you alive. But in Lords it looks like a path in the same lay out, has the same architecture, and even the same enemy types (there are the same enemies right near where I was fighting the big dudes). There is no "games logic" indication that you shouldn't be there like there is in Souls.

I think you're right about the criticism though. The combat is pretty satisfying, but there just isn't as much going on. Also I can't one shot stuff like I could in Souls, and I wanna do that hehe.

For New Anor Londo you're right, its very clearly "you came to the wrong neighborhood", same with lots of nasty zones in Souls, but that isn't true of the graveyard. Its literally right at the start of the game, connected to firelink shrine, there's no text popup to warn you that you're in a different zone, and yet its filled with high level skeletons that are unkillable until you kill the necromancers that you don't even know about. The graveyard absolutely wrecks tons of early Dark Souls players and gives no indication that its the wrong direction to go.

Yeah, I enjoyed Lords as a Souls-ish game when I was between DS2 and Bloodborne, but its not a game that I find myself replaying over and over like with the main Souls games. Although the same is true of bloodborne too, so :v:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

For New Anor Londo you're right, its very clearly "you came to the wrong neighborhood", same with lots of nasty zones in Souls, but that isn't true of the graveyard. Its literally right at the start of the game, connected to firelink shrine, there's no text popup to warn you that you're in a different zone, and yet its filled with high level skeletons that are unkillable until you kill the necromancers that you don't even know about. The graveyard absolutely wrecks tons of early Dark Souls players and gives no indication that its the wrong direction to go.

Yeah, I enjoyed Lords as a Souls-ish game when I was between DS2 and Bloodborne, but its not a game that I find myself replaying over and over like with the main Souls games. Although the same is true of bloodborne too, so :v:

Zaphod42 to further deepen our comraderie, mail me your PS4 and copy of Bloodborne as I have neither. Only then can we truly know what is Bringing the Game Down.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

The graveyard absolutely wrecks tons of early Dark Souls players and gives no indication that its the wrong direction to go.

The fact that you're getting your poo poo wrecked is the indication that you probably shouldn't be there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The fact that you're getting your poo poo wrecked is the indication that you probably shouldn't be there.

Well you can actually hurt and kill the skeletons though. I was doing like 1 damage against the thing, and at the time, didn't see an alternative path.

I never went the graveyard way first, just kind of tooled around a bit there first, saw them respawn, and was like newp. lol.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Right, which is the whole argument I was trying to make to Jastiger who is claiming that Lords of the Fallen didn't give him an indication he was going the wrong way. :eng101: That was my whole point. He was getting his poo poo kicked and I was saying "well, that means you're going the wrong way in souls games" and he argued that souls give you indications, which they sometimes do but definitely not always.

You gotta read the conversation dude.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Right, which is the whole argument I was trying to make to Jastiger who is claiming that Lords of the Fallen didn't give him an indication he was going the wrong way. :eng101: That was my whole point. He was getting his poo poo kicked and I was saying "well, that means you're going the wrong way in souls games" and he argued that souls give you indications, which they sometimes do but definitely not always.

You gotta read the conversation dude.

TBH I try not to read anything Jastiger posts

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have tried to start Dark Souls 2 but it is quite tricky to get into. Until you get over the hump it can be a very frustrating game. I recently got gifted Bloodborne and it is similar but I have found it much easier to get into so far.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FInal Fantasy XIV does a lot of things right, but tying your item bank to your Retainers is not one of them.

For those who are not familiar, your character has Retainers that can do a bunch of different things for you. One of them is to store your gear. You get two Retainers for free and pay game currency for any more. The problem is that while you have different Retainers holding your gear, their inventory is not linked. So you have to individually summon and dismiss each retainer to check for items. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who's OCD about organizing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I have tried to start Dark Souls 2 but it is quite tricky to get into. Until you get over the hump it can be a very frustrating game. I recently got gifted Bloodborne and it is similar but I have found it much easier to get into so far.

Bloodborne has the hardest optional content in the series, but if you get the hang of the gameplay then the non-optional stuff becomes the easiest in the series (although what affects the difficulty of the start of the game more than anything else is whether you chose something other than the cane--it's a great weapon but just inferior to the others at the start). The dark souls games are really hard to get into with more obtuse mechanics going on and they have most of the big walls at the start of the game, so they're pretty discouraging.

I think the majority of bloodborne's main game is really well constructed, but once you get into the optional stuff it starts to fall apart.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EmmyOk posted:

AGL is the most annoying stat. I only just started a character I'm finally having fun with in DAS2 after a few tries it, and the amount of up-front grinding I had to do to get a character who can dodge roll half a crap was depressing.

One could also say the grind brings it down but I'm actually a fan of clearing areas until stuff stops respawning so far. Very different gameplay focus to approach it like that.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Dark souls 2 is pretty bland. Its worse in most ways apart from bland quality of life improvements. Its stale and the depopulation mechanic is one of many gameplay elements that is used by the level designers to be lazy about encounters and levels (this is really the biggest crime and most sorrowful fail). The weapons dont have that oomph either.

However: get agl up to 25 and the dodging is pretty dang good. Weaving left - right, it works well with the armoured dudes. And build variety too! Lots more spells, its fun. There are many bosses and lots of big hunking armoured dudes to dodge and weave around. Its enjoyable in that regard.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked what I saw of Dark Souls 2 a lot, but I have never played the first to reference it against. I really like the idea of a game that punishes stupidity and is unrelenting. It is just arduous to break the glass ceiling and "git gud". Bloodborne gave me a gun right at the start which is great because I discovered I could shoot a prick and then run away and he'd follow me allowing me to whittle down large groups. An annoying thing though are the elaborate skeleton messages and blood stains as I have gotten caught in them during fights. Also one guy placed a "beware of the ambush" warning right in the place that triggered the ambush, which admittedly was also quite funny.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

EmmyOk posted:

I liked what I saw of Dark Souls 2 a lot, but I have never played the first to reference it against. I really like the idea of a game that punishes stupidity and is unrelenting. It is just arduous to break the glass ceiling and "git gud". Bloodborne gave me a gun right at the start which is great because I discovered I could shoot a prick and then run away and he'd follow me allowing me to whittle down large groups. An annoying thing though are the elaborate skeleton messages and blood stains as I have gotten caught in them during fights. Also one guy placed a "beware of the ambush" warning right in the place that triggered the ambush, which admittedly was also quite funny.

I've only played a bit of Dark Souls but my favourite message thing was "try jumping" next to every ledge. The first time I saw it I jumped and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

With the infinite ability of nothing to be truly idiot proof and all the surrounding info behind Dark Souls being 'game hard, get gud' it's not impossible for someone to go through the intro with the broken shortsword not knowing any better that they should be doing more damage than 1-2 a hit.