Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but Gundam is a franchise that's big on that anyway, and according to the above posters, G-Reco was a fujoshi hit even by those standards. It's not so much 'why does it appeal to adult women?' as 'why does it appeal to adult women more than usual?'.

In SEED's case, as compares to G-reco, I'd imagine that the interesting characters in question not looking hideously generic in Reco makes a difference. I lost interest so quickly in SEED because of that.

junopsis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Majestic Prince is the best Gundam SEED.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what I'm getting out of this is that all the Wing haters who poo poo on it for being "fangirl bait" are hypocrites and Gundam is all about the fangirl bait in general anyway.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So what I'm getting out of this is that all the Wing haters who poo poo on it for being "fangirl bait" are hypocrites and Gundam is all about the fangirl bait in general anyway.

I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first franchise to go, hey man, moms are watching this, we gotta have cute guys. Kamen Rider has been doing it for a long time. Japan doesn't seem to have any issues with "it's the wrong demographic" like people who work in TV here have said about the way kid's shows are handled.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

ImpAtom posted:

(It also caused some minor controversy due to Kira banging Flay IIRC but that got fairly quickly forgotten.)

I still can't think of that as anything other than Flay climbing into bed with him, Kira not understanding the implication at all and then them just sort of laying there awkwardly for a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wateyad posted:

I still can't think of that as anything other than Flay climbing into bed with him, Kira not understanding the implication at all and then them just sort of laying there awkwardly for a while.

There is a scene where they very explicitly had sex with one another. Right after the shuttle gets shot down when Kira recovers. It's a post-coital scene (though the SE makes it way more explicit if I recall) where Kira is called out of bed with a naked Flay to go fight and right afterwards he's a giant dick for a while.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 29, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

wateyad posted:

Yeah, they had sex

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jesus wasn't always Jesus, ya know. Kira was once a mortal man, just like you or I, capable of making mistakes and being wrong.

But seriously, SEED Kira wasn't anything resembling the pure good guy hero saint of Destiny. He was actually just a normal kid, a run-of-the-mill Gundam Protagonist. Someone like Banagher or even Shiro could be argued to be more "good."

Now I'm wondering who is the least heroic Gundam MC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Jesus wasn't always Jesus, ya know. Kira was once a mortal man, just like you or I, capable of making mistakes and being wrong.

But seriously, SEED Kira wasn't anything resembling the pure good guy hero saint of Destiny. He was actually just a normal kid, a run-of-the-mill Gundam Protagonist. Someone like Banagher or even Shiro could be argued to be more "good."

It's probably Shinn. You could make the case that Heero's attitude is not particularly heroic, and I suppose there's also space racist grandpa Flit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Flit Asuno is the easy winner.

Dude began as a Gundam kid and gradually became a genocidal madman. He tried to execute war prisoners and it took a last-minute Newtype intervention to prevent him from killing a colony full of civilians.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Flit Asuno is the easy winner.

Dude began as a Gundam kid and gradually became a genocidal madman. He tried to execute war prisoners and it took a last-minute Newtype intervention to prevent him from killing a colony full of civilians.
Let's not forget that he tried to make his son and especially his grandson into his own personal engines of revenge via manipulation. And was upset when his son didn't inherit his Newtype powers and thought him as weak.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All of that makes me wish Gundam AGE had been localized so I could see this. It sounds rather...unique and interesting for the franchise.Has there been any other Gundam Protagonists who became outright villains? Shinn might sort of qualify but that's a grey area and debatable. This guy sounds like he went from straight hero to straight villain.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

All of that makes me wish Gundam AGE had been localized so I could see this. It sounds rather...unique and interesting for the franchise.Has there been any other Gundam Protagonists who became outright villains? Shinn might sort of qualify but that's a grey area and debatable. This guy sounds like he went from straight hero to straight villain.
AGE is a collection of decent-ish ideas squandered very quickly. What few unique things are in the show (Flit starting out as a typical Gundam kid protagonist and becoming the angry and vengeful older character) get drowned out by the bad direction and execution.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Age is a ton of fantastic concepts that just don't get used well.

Flit, if he was executed well, would be one of the better Gundam protagonists ever. Even as it stands he is one of the strong points of his own series because he is the path of a Gundam Kid down to becoming a Gundam Villain.

Likewise Asemu Asuno is a great idea: A non-Newtype pilot who is the heir to his universe's version of Amuro Ray struggling to deal with the fact that everyone around him was a goddamn superman and he wasn't.

It's a shame the series is so badly executed because the core idea is good.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Kanos posted:

As ImpAtom alluded to, it worked to some degree but it was a miserable crushing failure compared to the insane wildfire character merch sales of SEED.

What Bandai seems to have completely missed is that what attracts and sustains a fujoshi character merch-buying fanbase is inter-character drama. There needs to be some sort of dramatic interaction between characters for that type of person to give a gently caress about them. It doesn't have to be blatantly homoerotic because the fanbase who wants that can fill in the blanks, but it does need to be something substantial that people can infer character interactions and relationships from.

And yet (and as someone who watched that whole fandom live and in person, as it were), there was absolutely no problem in the Wing fandom going absolutely apeshit over character interactions that often barely existed or in some cases basically did not exist at all, while ignoring characters that actually interacted, but it was all eaten up anyway. Drama may be helpful, but it's certainly not a requirement.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So he's a more mentally stable Char, then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

taichara posted:

And yet (and as someone who watched that whole fandom live and in person, as it were), there was absolutely no problem in the Wing fandom going absolutely apeshit over character interactions that often barely existed or in some cases basically did not exist at all, while ignoring characters that actually interacted, but it was all eaten up anyway. Drama may be helpful, but it's certainly not a requirement.

See also, how Heero/Duo is bigger than Heero/Trowa, who he actually had a great deal more screentime and meaningful character interaction with (I mean, c'mon, Trowa let him borrow his Gundam for one of the most important fights of his life). Although I guess the fact that Trowa and Quatre so obviously have something going on might have had something to do with that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always associate Heero with Quatre since they are chilling out right at the start of the second half of the show and even go to Relena's new country and join up as her enforcers together. They just seem to have spent the most time together from what I remember.

Of course, the only gay pairing in all of Wing with any real support behind it is Dorothy/Relena.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

See also, how Heero/Duo is bigger than Heero/Trowa, who he actually had a great deal more screentime and meaningful character interaction with (I mean, c'mon, Trowa let him borrow his Gundam for one of the most important fights of his life). Although I guess the fact that Trowa and Quatre so obviously have something going on might have had something to do with that.

The bit after one of Heero's self destruct attempts where he completely deadpan tells Trowa that by self destructing he learned that it hurts like hell and Trowa starts laughing his rear end off is one of my favorite scenes.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

Let's not forget that he tried to make his son and especially his grandson into his own personal engines of revenge via manipulation. And was upset when his son didn't inherit his Newtype powers and thought him as weak.

I thought Flit didn't seem to care that much that he wasn't an x-rounder. It was Asemu who took it way harder than anyone else.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

woah, even the neodu is there

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Where was the fujoshi appeal there? I mean, sure, it had a fair number of pretty dudes, but unless I missed something, G-Reco didn't seem too homoerotic by Gundam standards.

not really the regular fujo stuff but Donyell was partially or fully naked across a couple episodes.
there were plenty of attractive male characters, in any case. i could also see some ship opportunities tbh.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course, the only gay pairing in all of Wing with any real support behind it is Dorothy/Relena.

I don't think that was reciprocated by Relena. :v:

Besides, everyone knows that the real and only gay couple in Wing is Trowa/Quatre. Their early interactions were flamingly gay.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

NikkolasKing posted:

Kou.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kou Uraki wants desperately to be the hero but essentially his actions alone take the plot from "wants to be a good mobile suit pilot" to "welp the american midwest is a giant crater and fascists have taken over the federation."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The real answer is Fon Spaak though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Age is a ton of fantastic concepts that just don't get used well.

Flit, if he was executed well, would be one of the better Gundam protagonists ever. Even as it stands he is one of the strong points of his own series because he is the path of a Gundam Kid down to becoming a Gundam Villain.

Likewise Asemu Asuno is a great idea: A non-Newtype pilot who is the heir to his universe's version of Amuro Ray struggling to deal with the fact that everyone around him was a goddamn superman and he wasn't.

It's a shame the series is so badly executed because the core idea is good.

Also the entire idea of a war taking place over the course of 100 or so years is loving great. Hell, having a story in general take place over the course of multiple generations is great. It's just a goddamn shame that pretty much everything after Asemu's arc is just awful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

junopsis posted:

I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first franchise to go, hey man, moms are watching this, we gotta have cute guys. Kamen Rider has been doing it for a long time. Japan doesn't seem to have any issues with "it's the wrong demographic" like people who work in TV here have said about the way kid's shows are handled.

Basically any decent piece of children's media has stuff in it to engage adults on some level specifically because good writers and studios know that often adults will be roped into watching this stuff with their kids, whether it be character designs that appeal to a different demographic or plot points or character interactions that have double meanings or meanings that will go over a kid's head. There's a lot of western examples, too; a movie like The Incredibles is essentially two different movies at once, one for kids and one for adults, and the golden age 90s WB cartoons like Animaniacs are absolutely honeycombed with jokes and innuendos that a little kid will absolutely not get while still being full of wacky slapstick.

taichara posted:

Wing is written and plays out like a bad soap opera instead of a robot war anime and it was released back when the anime pool for that kind of thing was a lot shallower.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I never really watched any of the UC stuff except a few eps of MSG. But I've been watching Zeta and having a really good time.

Early on everyone's (Emma's) constant reaction to transforming mobile suits was very funny, I was kinda sad to see they got use to it.

Rick Dias is a great mech name.

Is is just me or is Char's Bling Suit not very good? It takes minimal damage and gets froze up / knocked into the earth's gravity, and just before his speech it looked like a bolt fell of it, lol.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Jigoku San posted:

Is is just me or is Char's Bling Suit not very good? It takes minimal damage and gets froze up / knocked into the earth's gravity, and just before his speech it looked like a bolt fell of it, lol.

It's an imperfect design based off a good idea. The whole development tree for the delta gundam series and the zeta gundam series is actually really interesting.

Seed destiny talk, is Rei related to CHARman Gilbert? the way he hugged him I mean, episode 19.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Seed destiny talk, is Rei related to CHARman Gilbert? the way he hugged him I mean, episode 19.

Yes, but it sounds like this is the first time you're watching it, so I won't say how. If you've seen SEED you should already be noticing some things, though. It will become abundantly clear around the midpoint.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Even though I feel that Zeta has some major pacing issues at times, it has some of the best mech design in the series for me. It has all of 0079's odd mech design, but more refined. I love most of the designs, from the Hizack, a 'roided-out Zaku II, to the Dijeh, a Zeon-themed Gundam that has butterfly wings on it for some reason. I even like everyone's favorite robot with a vagina, the Barzam.

It also has one of the best Gundams in the franchise; the Mark II.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Jigoku San posted:

The Hyaku Shiki is quite literally a machine that relies on a coat of paint for armor. It's barely better than the Mk-II when it debuts, and the fact that Quattro manages to survive with it for the entire show is a testament to his own abilities. Basically every SRW game with Zeta in it practically encourages you to get Quattro out of the thing, because he's just wasted in it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

closeted republican posted:

Even though I feel that Zeta has some major pacing issues at times, it has some of the best mech design in the series for me. It has all of 0079's odd mech design, but more refined. I love most of the designs, from the Hizack, a 'roided-out Zaku II, to the Dijeh, a Zeon-themed Gundam that has butterfly wings on it for some reason. I even like everyone's favorite robot with a vagina, the Barzam.

It also has one of the best Gundams in the franchise; the Mark II.

It's all the more impressive considering how ugly the vast majority of 0079's mechs are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Red Bones posted:

It's all the more impressive considering how ugly the vast majority of 0079's mechs are.

Even there, Zeta manages to top it. Baund-Doc, anyone?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The Byarlant debutted in Zeta right? That's the ugliest suit ever designed.

Seed destiny: Han Zolo doesn't really have a strong reason to go back to zaft military, save for the fancy new machine chairman Gilbert Grape gave him, and the chance to act cool over Shinn, fondle Meer's massive jugs from time to time and even flirt around Lunamaria. I can see why Jesus' 2-dimensional decision-making doesn't strike him as sound, but his reasoning completely depends on believing Gilbert. And by now it is pretty clear who was behind the attack on the real Popuri.

Also Rey misterio is related to both Gilbert AND croissant?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

Even there, Zeta manages to top it. Baund-Doc, anyone?

No, no, he said ugly.

I do agree though, the Baund-Doc is the best mobile suit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ka0 posted:

The Byarlant debutted in Zeta right? That's the ugliest suit ever designed.

This right here is a bad opinion. The Byarlant rules.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It rules but I'm afraid it is not a very nice suit to look at. For posterity's sake I enjoy the original Sazabi's BBW sexy curves (no, not the katokian redesigned atrocity).

Seed destiny is now turning into ender's game with some gattaca and manchurian candidate thrown in, so far I really like this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Zeta's mecha design is so good across the board that every suit has ardent defenders

Except the Bolinoak Sammahn.

• Locked thread