Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Presumably they are refillable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

DNova posted:

Presumably they are refillable.

Naw, didn't you know that F-18s are single use items? Why else would aircraft carriers need to be so big?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Interesting. I've only seen about 10 minutes of it so far. Got any stories worth sharing? Do/did you know much about the F/E? I got a laugh out of his "What am I supposed to do now?" pause at the end of the walkaround.

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it. I haven't seen the full video in several years, and the segment that's on YouTube never shows the F/E.

Or the tail number. I'd probably have better stories about the particular tail than I would about the flight crew.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it. I haven't seen the full video in several years, and the segment that's on YouTube never shows the F/E.

Or the tail number. I'd probably have better stories about the particular tail than I would about the flight crew.

It's N606GC and I think the captain in the right seat introduced the F/E as Steve Smith.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well - I am going to try to earn the 'Captain' in my username.

After all the recent Civil Air Patrol posts, I decided I would look into and see how I could benefit the next generation of aviators.

There are THREE squadrons in my town, and each website says they are in desperate need of pilots. Two squadrons have cadets, and another squadron is for 'senior members only.'

I am not much into military marching orders, but I am into providing youth and opportunity to grope the gently caress out of airplanes and encourage people.

I'm sure I'll get jaded and quit within a month, but I think it may be beneficial to some others.

Who wants to place bets on how much this will be a complete cluster gently caress?

For posterity, my main goals are to encourage others to pursue general aviation (and beyond) and help motivate others by being a positive aviation role model. (internet persona not withstanding)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

After all the recent Civil Air Patrol posts, I decided I would look into and see how I could benefit the next generation of aviators.

There are THREE squadrons in my town, and each website says they are in desperate need of pilots. Two squadrons have cadets, and another squadron is for 'senior members only.'

I am not much into military marching orders, but I am into providing youth and opportunity to grope the gently caress out of airplanes and encourage people.

I'm sure I'll get jaded and quit within a month, but I think it may be beneficial to some others.

Who wants to place bets on how much this will be a complete cluster gently caress?

For posterity, my main goals are to encourage others to pursue general aviation (and beyond) and help motivate others by being a positive aviation role model. (internet persona not withstanding)

Do you have to buy into the whole situation? I went to a CAP ... uh, meeting? once with my friend when I was maybe 12. It was really dumb and when I pressed them for information about actually flying airplanes they had basically nothing to tell me. I didn't go back. If you can just show up and be the cool guy with an airplane and some intro lessons then I think it would be a blast. If you have to wear a uniform and be all yes sir no sir then lol.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I want to be the guy that actually knows ANYTHING about the airplanes. On paper it seems like I could be a good fit.

I don't have shiny jet syndrome. I love flying piston singles. I have the ratings and the certificates to be able to give flight lessons and help out deserving students.

Again, internet persona not withstanding, my favorite part of flying is being a Flight Instructor. It is my ultimate satisfaction, so hopefully I can find some youth to help encourage....\

But - let's just say my grooming standards are more like FerretKings as opposed to the avatar on the left :)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
And the CAP discussion a few pages back didn't dissuade you?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

I want to be the guy that actually knows ANYTHING about the airplanes. On paper it seems like I could be a good fit.

I don't have shiny jet syndrome. I love flying piston singles. I have the ratings and the certificates to be able to give flight lessons and help out deserving students.

Again, internet persona not withstanding, my favorite part of flying is being a Flight Instructor. It is my ultimate satisfaction, so hopefully I can find some youth to help encourage....\

But - let's just say my grooming standards are more like FerretKings as opposed to the avatar on the left :)

If you want to wear the uniform you'll have to trim.

Also you might be too fat to meet the dress code. Polo and khakis for you.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

And the CAP discussion a few pages back didn't dissuade you?

If nothing else, it'll make for a good story and for good reading.

Let's see how bad it is on the "pilot" side.

I'll visit 3 different squadrons and see which is the best, if any.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captain Apollo posted:

I decided I would look into and see how I could benefit the next generation of aviators.

Please do evaluate the org for yourself, there are good and bad people depending mostly on where you happen to be. One of the blended squadrons would probably be best if you want to help out the younger folks, though it often seems like the planes don't get distributed that way. Find out for sure, see if it agrees with you.

If, for whatever reason, it doesn't officially work out: I'll mention that my EAA chapter did young eagles flights for the CAP kids on some pre-arranged days. If the kids don't normally get to go to the aircraft, that might be a way to establish a relationship with the younger folks without having to deal with the military structure yourself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

I can't remember what the hell saw me hanging out with a CAP squadron or whatever they call them during my Associate's, but I remember myself and a couple classmates helping out with their flight planning exercise one night after our class had ended. I didn't care much for the "Pretend Air Force" stuff like uniforms or the marching/formations (e- but I don't care for that in general. I've seen adults at Yacht Clubs get giddy over that poo poo), but the program itself seemed worthwhile enough.

Another option you could do if CAP doesn't work out (or even if it does) is to find local/nearby Boy Scout Troops in need of an Aviation merit badge. I've posted about the "events" I put together for first my dad's Troop and later another local group (my walkaround, local CFI's 172 rides, my dad letting them briefly dick around with FS2004 being the three stations). The first group of kids were really into it and it was ridiculously personally rewarding. My pilot mill also did educational stuff before the Dayton Air Show in 2005 at a kid's day-type thing and god drat did it rule showing those kids around the 152 we'd dragged up the street to the expo center and let them poke around inside. They ate it up. :3:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 29, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That's a really great idea. Before I moved I was the EAA Young Eagles Co-Chair. I recently signed back up to be involved in my new location. I will also strongly consider helping for the boy scouts....

I am NOT interested in military gunghoness. As we all know I generally hate being told what to do if it doesn't make sense. We'll see how long I last. Surely there is some levelheaded squadron out there that exists, right?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I have to say, doing all this survey work has made me really complacent with NOTAMs. I can't remember the last time I went out of my way to look one up.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Last week LIDO gave us a nice 71 page flight plan. 45 pages of NOTAMs :getin:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Apollo's Airplane Ownership Tip of the Month:

Part of any airplane rental price is the hourly consumption of oil in the airplane. If you're renting an airplane, you should have unfettered access to bottles or cases of oil so you can keep the airplane at a happy level. For each engine (even of the same type) this can vary slightly. It seems like Cherokee 180 likes to stay around 5.5 while my Mooney M20C like to stay right above 6. There are maximums and minimums associated with each. For the Lycoming 360 that's in both airplanes, 8 is the maximum and 2 is the drop dead minimum.

Each flight school will have its own guidelines for where they keep their engine oil level. Some schools will dictate that you can't start the engine below X, and some will dictate you can land with oil below X. It's all a matter of ownership preference and experience.

As an airplane owner, however, you are saddled with trying to find your oil level consumption and where the oil level likes to be by default all by yourself. Sometimes you go a month without flying, and sometimes you fly three times a week. It can be hard to know where your oil level likes to be in your single.

My particular engine has been using W100 almost since it's inception. As a matter of continuation I am continuing with that oil. I have no feelings one way or the other on engine oils as I am not mechanically intelligent enough to know which snake oil I am consuming and which one I am avoiding.

W100 is sometimes a little more pricey than most. I recently went down to the local aviation supply shop and bought a case of W100 for nearly 90 dollars. A reasonable price considering it was at the airport and close to my airplane when I needed to go fly. However, I remembered when I was doing my PPL training that my CFI took me to a local oil distribution company. This 'Oil Warehouse' of sorts was servicing major companies who needed oil and its related products. I didn't really think much of it at the time because Oil is Oil, but as you become an Airplane Owner it seems odd to pay more money for things which are already expensive.

So - I checked around for lower prices for my oil. As a natural internet consumer, I went to Sportys and Aircraft Spruce (amazon had nothing). They have list prices around 77 dollars, but include 15 bucks of shipping.

But I googled 'City Name Oil Distributor' and found several options in my town. I found the company that was the Aeroshell distributor and walked away with 2 cases that were $67 a piece (including tax).

Shop around and save yourself money.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I had no idea there was a particular oil level that the engine "likes"... what exactly does that mean and how do you figure it out?

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

DNova posted:

I had no idea there was a particular oil level that the engine "likes"... what exactly does that mean and how do you figure it out?

It'll be in the aircraft's manual. Here's a page from a DA20-C1's AFM (after a page listing approved oil brands/types):

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Well, that I know, but it sounded like Apollo is implying there is a "sweet spot" within the range of acceptable fill levels for your engine. I have an O-300 and I've just been adding a quart when it's at 6.

edit: I've been doing a little bit of reading and it seems like people get less oil consumption on the O-300 by keeping it at 5-6 quarts, which means I might be keeping mine too full. I am using a lot of oil, too.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 31, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So as you've probably read by now, the maximum oil quantity doesn't really help out any.

In reality, and something you will notice if you clean the underbelly of the airplane and then watch the oil accumulation after several hours, is that most of the oil will 'blow out' of the engine if it's too full.

Really the engine only needs 2 quarts (or so I hear I haven't actually done this, although I do think Slaughter had a scare a couple years ago) to keep parts lubricated. Best guess on how well the engine temps and oil pressure will do with that little oil.

Looking at Lycoming specs, you can extrapolate that oil 'consumption' of more than a quart per two hours generally is a bad sign to the operator.

So you have to balance your needs for oil pressure and oil temperature with the amount of oil the airplane engine can actually hold without blowing it out all over the bottom of the fuselage, and balance it with how much the engine will normally (and it should) 'eat.'

I was beginning to think my effort post was really dumb, I was about to go back to starting arguments on the F-16 and Cessna crash. Maybe I'll turn a new leaf?

(ATC hosed up big time and killed the cessna pilot)

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
The same principle works on turbines, it seems. The CF34-10E appears to just chuck out the back anything above a certain oil level.

Naturally, head office has decided that the appropriate daily fill level is one quart above that level...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

DNova posted:

Well, that I know, but it sounded like Apollo is implying there is a "sweet spot" within the range of acceptable fill levels for your engine. I have an O-300 and I've just been adding a quart when it's at 6.

edit: I've been doing a little bit of reading and it seems like people get less oil consumption on the O-300 by keeping it at 5-6 quarts, which means I might be keeping mine too full. I am using a lot of oil, too.

The Cessna 150 spits out anything above 5-5.5 quarts (max 6). It has a vent at the top of the crank case that allows sloshed oil to exit, so if it's too full it'll just spit out a quart.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Something interesting from that Allegiant fuel emergency in Fargo.

quote:

http://pastie.org/10322063
With regard to the specific circumstances surrounding flight 426, Allegiant's chief operating officer Steve Harfst said, "The NOTAM provided for this airport clearly exempted scheduled air carriers from the airfield closure, and it wasn't until the aircrew contacted Fargo tower directly that they were advised that the airfield was closed to all traffic. This was an issue for multiple commercial and non-commercial aircraft attempting to land at Fargo during this period and not just Allegiant. Our captain exercised sound judgment in the operation of his aircraft."

After a full and thorough review by our safety team under the direction of Gust, the following determinations of fact have been made:

- The aircraft was dispatched with reserve fuel in compliance with company standards and all FAA regulations.

- There were 142 passengers and two lap children on board, and six crew members on board the MD-80.

- At the time of departure, there was a posted temporary flight restriction (TFR) for Fargo for 5 hours and there was also an FAA notice to airman (NOTAM) posted for Fargo that indicated that the airport remained open to scheduled air carriers.

- During the time of the posted TFR closure 15 flights, both commercial and non-commercial, landed at Fargo. Two scheduled air carriers were cleared to land approximately 15 minutes after flight 426, and multiple aircraft landed at Fargo prior to the approach of flight 426.

- Approximately 10 minutes prior to flight 426 landing, another scheduled air carrier experienced the same confusion about the TFR and NOTAM. While on approach, they queried air traffic control (ATC) as to the airport's closure and highlighted the NOTAM, which excluded the closure to scheduled air carriers. They were not given the option to declare an emergency in order to continue their landing in Fargo and were forced to divert to another airport.

- The company was aware of the TFR at the airport in advance, and despite the exception for scheduled air carriers, Allegiant scheduled flight 426 to arrive prior to the closure. Before departing Las Vegas, a passenger experienced a medical emergency and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. This delayed the flight causing it to arrive at Fargo after the posted TFR began.

- Upon approach to Fargo, flight 426 was cleared by air traffic control to begin descent to 6,000 feet to be vectored for landing. At this point, flight 426 was on profile to land with the originally planned landing fuel. It was not until flight 426 started their descent that ATC stated that the airport was closed. At that point flight 426 stopped the descent at 14,000 feet to conserve fuel and coordinate a landing clearance with Fargo station personnel as per ATC's instructions.

- Flight 426 spent approximately 18 minutes coordinating with the Fargo station personnel, who were attempting to connect by telephone with ATC, to establish a landing clearance as directed by ATC.

- Fargo station was not able to establish contact with the phone numbers provided. At this point, flight 426 was now 2-3 minutes from starting to use their reserve fuel.

- The pilot was then given the option to either declare an emergency to land in Fargo or divert to Grand Forks. Although sufficient fuel remained to divert to Grand Forks, flight 426 made the decision to declare an emergency, allowing the flight to land immediately at Fargo in order to avoid utilizing reserve fuel.

- The flight landed safely at 1:02 p.m. CDT with approximately 42 minutes of reserve fuel remaining.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Serious question for the corporate guys: what would be the odds of me pulling a part 91 Learjet job (right seat) with about 800 total time and a pic type rating in the aircraft.

I obviously wouldn't have my ATP. I work for a training facility (not going into too much details) that is going to be giving me a type rating soon as a bonus. Problem is my schedule has been so inconsistent and unreliable here for the last few months that I haven't been able to schedule any flying at my CFI job to build time. It's starting to wear on me, and I don't make enough at this one job to be financially comfortable. I'm just exploring options.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was phone-posting the other day about the Just Planes DVDs and couldn't provide a link. The Boeing sale starts today: http://www.worldairroutes.com/sale.html

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

Serious question for the corporate guys: what would be the odds of me pulling a part 91 Learjet job (right seat) with about 800 total time and a pic type rating in the aircraft.

I obviously wouldn't have my ATP. I work for a training facility (not going into too much details) that is going to be giving me a type rating soon as a bonus. Problem is my schedule has been so inconsistent and unreliable here for the last few months that I haven't been able to schedule any flying at my CFI job to build time. It's starting to wear on me, and I don't make enough at this one job to be financially comfortable. I'm just exploring options.

Depending on how willing you are to travel I'd say pretty good. I know guys that got hired with less and didn't have a type

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Depending on how willing you are to travel I'd say pretty good. I know guys that got hired with less and didn't have a type

Nice! I am willing to travel as long as it's in the 3 states I like (joke.) I've just cracked my logbook open and realized I flew 7 total hour in July because of how unreliable my scheduling is.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Buddy messages me: "You gotta see this."

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=178202

I click the link. Okay, it's an incident from two days ago, aircraft type...

Ekranoplan?

What.

:psyboom:

(No fatalities or major injuries, has video of the crash).

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Holy poo poo, never heard of these until now. Spent an hour watching very large planes skim the water and loved every minute.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JnnyThndrs posted:

Holy poo poo, never heard of these until now. Spent an hour watching very large planes skim the water and loved every minute.

Ekranoplans are the best. The big scary Cold War ones also have the best nickname, "the Caspian Sea Monster".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What about aircraft engines makes them consume oil so fast? I know their ignition system is greatly simplified, and they typically run a higher compression but when you compare it to a car engine where you might see one quart of oil consumption per year on a well maintained engine. One quart per 6 hours seems excessive. I realize prop engines haven't changed significantly in probably 50 years but half a quart an hour in a 4 stroke engine is kind of mind blowing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hadlock posted:

What about aircraft engines makes them consume oil so fast? I know their ignition system is greatly simplified, and they typically run a higher compression but when you compare it to a car engine where you might see one quart of oil consumption per year on a well maintained engine. One quart per 6 hours seems excessive. I realize prop engines haven't changed significantly in probably 50 years but half a quart an hour in a 4 stroke engine is kind of mind blowing.

Air cooled engines typically have slightly larger piston/bore clearances in general, and aircraft engines tend to have even bigger clearances than car engines. The biggest factor is honestly just fifty years of engine development. Aircraft piston engines from Lycoming and Continental are almost universally using ring packages that were originally designed when there was a Kennedy in the White House.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

Air cooled engines typically have slightly larger piston/bore clearances in general, and aircraft engines tend to have even bigger clearances than car engines. The biggest factor is honestly just fifty years of engine development. Aircraft piston engines from Lycoming and Continental are almost universally using ring packages that were originally designed when there was a Kennedy in the White House.

Yep. Development and certification of aircraft anything is expensive, and why bother with a long and painful process when you already have something that works.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
A buddy of mine called me to tell me he had gasoline put in his engine instead of diesel.

I though oh my god man are you okay and how much is it going to cost to overhaul???

He said he just called Triple A and got towed....:wtf:

Then he said the overhaul was only going to cost 5 grand tops ..... :wtf:

He was talking about his diesel pickup truck.

drat insurance and lawyers for making our engines so drat expensive to overhaul.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I was wondering why aviation engines are so bad. Someone told me that they need avgas and so much oil because they run at high RPMs, but I watched my Honda's RPM while I was cruising at 75 on the interstate and it ran at similar RPMs to the Cessna 172 I fly. Needs an oil change every 2 years, runs on regular gas, probably doesn't even weigh more than the 172's engine and has a higher horsepower. And it'll run till the heat death of the universe with no maintenance whatsoever. Is there an actual *good* reason we can't put car engines in airplanes?

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 3, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
gently caress car engines. I want a suzuki motorcycle engine from the mid 80s. TANKS.

except for gears. geared airplane engines are supposedly terrible ( i have no experience with one, even after Flying a Cessna 175 for years...)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Captain Apollo posted:

A buddy of mine called me to tell me he had gasoline put in his engine instead of diesel.

I though oh my god man are you okay and how much is it going to cost to overhaul???

He said he just called Triple A and got towed....:wtf:

Then he said the overhaul was only going to cost 5 grand tops ..... :wtf:

He was talking about his diesel pickup truck.

drat insurance and lawyers for making our engines so drat expensive to overhaul.

Truck/Auto mechanic here: 95% of the time you can just drain the whole fuel system and refill w/diesel and everything is hunky-dory. The flaming dipshits who's fleet I support do this all_the_damn_time.

The only time it really screws things up is when someone tops off a 3/4 full tank and drives it a long distance under a load even though it's running terribly - when it's near-empty and you gas up a diesel, it usually just sputters and dies after a short time, which generally means no permanent damage.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Hauldren Collider posted:

I was wondering why aviation engines are so bad. Someone told me that they need avgas and so much oil because they run at high RPMs, but I watched my Honda's RPM while I was cruising at 75 on the interstate and it ran at similar RPMs to the Cessna 172 I fly. Needs an oil change every 2 years, runs on regular gas, probably doesn't even weigh more than the 172's engine and has a higher horsepower. And it'll run till the heat death of the universe with no maintenance whatsoever. Is there an actual *good* reason we can't put car engines in airplanes?

A fair number of people put Subaru engines in experimentals. Many :words: here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Ps. By default vaf doesn't display posts older than month. Change it at the bottom toolbar.

CBJamo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 3, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hauldren Collider posted:

It's been tried before (Mooney used Porsche engines in 1988, but Porsce backed out of the program shortly thereafter), but most of the reasons come down to what the respective engines are designed to do.

Car engines are generally designed to put out a higher amount of horsepower for a short time, then settle into a much lower power output (and RPM) for any kind of sustained operations. Aircraft engines are designed to run at full power for relatively long periods of time, followed by cruise settings at 65-75% power, all while turning at RPM's that are close to their redline, and they'll usually do so reliably for somewhere near 2000 hours.

Since car engines aren't designed with that kind of sustained, high power operations in mind, getting them to exhibit the kind of reliability that is expected from a certified aircraft engine is difficult (and expensive), to say nothing of the added complexity and weight of a reduction gearbox and a liquid cooling system.

That said, there have been cases of auto engines (air cooled VW units, Subaru's 4-cylinder boxer, and Corvair engines) being used successfully in homebuilt airplanes for a number of years, but in most cases the cost and time (not to mention liability) of getting something new certified for use in a production aircraft makes it completely unattractive for engine or aircraft manufacturers.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

azflyboy posted:

It's been tried before (Mooney used Porsche engines in 1988, but Porsce backed out of the program shortly thereafter), but most of the reasons come down to what the respective engines are designed to do.

Car engines are generally designed to put out a higher amount of horsepower for a short time, then settle into a much lower power output (and RPM) for any kind of sustained operations. Aircraft engines are designed to run at full power for relatively long periods of time, followed by cruise settings at 65-75% power, all while turning at RPM's that are close to their redline, and they'll usually do so reliably for somewhere near 2000 hours.

Since car engines aren't designed with that kind of sustained, high power operations in mind, getting them to exhibit the kind of reliability that is expected from a certified aircraft engine is difficult (and expensive), to say nothing of the added complexity and weight of a reduction gearbox and a liquid cooling system.
See, I just flat out don't believe this. My car puts out a pretty constant 2000+ RPM on the highway at speed, same as a Cessna when cruising, has absolutely no problem powering up steep hills while going 75+ mph, and I SERIOUSLY doubt Honda would have much difficulty modifying a car engine for whatever minor difference in performance is required for an airplane anyway, particularly given past success and the capabilities of modern automobile engines.

quote:

the cost and time (not to mention liability) of getting something new certified for use in a production aircraft makes it completely unattractive for engine or aircraft manufacturers.
Yes, this seems like the real reason: The government regulating GA and GA innovation out of existence.

EDIT: To clarify, I believe all the things you said about the difference in design, I just don't believe that it would be much of a factor considering how much more modern car engines are these days.

Hauldren Collider fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 3, 2015

• Locked thread