Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is up with Goku in latin america?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

What is up with Goku in latin america?

More like what's up with Goku in the US? He should be more popular.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Saint Seiya and DBZ are incredibly popular in SA. DBZ is no surprise, but SS never quite hit such a following outside of Japan, except for South America.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You forgot Yu Yu Hakusho my man.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is it really popular in SA? Most people know who Goku is and the DBZ series is still airing in Mexico, but I never saw the same interest in YYH.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's no Super-Campeones, but I'd say it's Slam Dunk-levels of popularity :v: Like, if you say "Kuwabara" or "Magic pew pew finger dude" to a guy/gal who watched Cartoon Network at night, he/she might be able to recall the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Saint Seiya and Ranma were the two giant series in the early 90s. Sailor Moon and DBZ hit in the later 90s and it just exploded because the animation market in latin America was basically redubbed syndicated shows past their prime in the US. (Superbook, the Anime Wizard of Oz show, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Duckula). And maybe if you got lucky a Cantinflas animated travelogue or something.

I remember going to San Diego on a school trip and, while the US was just cracking the last third of the Freeza saga, the Mexidub was into the Androids and pre-cell. Blew my teenager mind.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 13, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And this only serves to show that even when the Chapo just escaped from a high-security prison using Ocean-11 tactics we Mexicans will still mostly talk about Goku.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 13, 2015

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

trucutru posted:

And this only serves to show that even when the Chapo just escaped from a high-security prison using Ocean-11 tactics we Mexicans will still mostly talk about Goku.

Dude the Chapo has already escaped once, big deal, have you seen that Goku is about to explode along with Namekusei?!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Saint Seiya, DBZ, and on a lesser scale YYH (which I'll still defend as the best dub of all time) are popular as gently caress here in Brazil with my generation. If you go six years or so back you'll find a lot of tokusatsu fans, Jiraya, Jaspion, Changemen...Saint Seiya also makes for a great "please shut up about astrology" interruption, since you can just bitch about how dumb your sign's Saint is until people give up.

And c'mon, it's more interesting to talk about anime, that dude escaped thru a ventilated, well-lit mile-long tunnel, that's not so much escaping as it is overseeing a construction project for a year or so and leaving after you cut the red ribbon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

Saint Seiya, DBZ, and on a lesser scale YYH (which I'll still defend as the best dub of all time) are popular as gently caress here in Brazil with my generation.

A flor tem que ser de cerejeira...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Dias posted:

Saint Seiya, DBZ, and on a lesser scale YYH (which I'll still defend as the best dub of all time) are popular as gently caress here in Brazil with my generation. If you go six years or so back you'll find a lot of tokusatsu fans, Jiraya, Jaspion, Changemen...Saint Seiya also makes for a great "please shut up about astrology" interruption, since you can just bitch about how dumb your sign's Saint is until people give up.

And c'mon, it's more interesting to talk about anime, that dude escaped thru a ventilated, well-lit mile-long tunnel, that's not so much escaping as it is overseeing a construction project for a year or so and leaving after you cut the red ribbon.

Best dub ever goes to Duel Masters :v: "Let's make this boring-rear end serious Yugioh copycat a self-aware comedy" was the best decision they could have taken.

rolosaavedra
Aug 15, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXHuZ-1C_4

It's been like 10 years and I can still sing along to that intro. What blows my mind is that it wasn't as successful everywhere else.
May be their dubs were poo poo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rolosaavedra posted:

May be their dubs were poo poo?
CABALLEROS DEL ZODIAAAACO, CUANDO MONTAN SU ATAAAAAAAAKEEEEE!

There's no way a US dub at that time could have dealt with the violence and the zodiac poo poo in a good way.

Plus at least one of them would have had a random surfer accent, or a western accent, or sound like Ahnuld...

Oh, and there would have been a SEIYA SAYS PSA at the end.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I think I am the only Latin American who didn't care for DBZ. I watched Saint Seiya and Kamen Rider. Uruguayan TV was and still is poo poo so I had to watch Saint Seiya in Argie channels and then rewatched them and Kamen Rider on Brazilian channels.

I mostly remember Fandangos commercials though. I don't even know what they are, look like some sort of Brazilian cheetos.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A flor tem que ser de cerejeira...

This guy gets it.

Polidoro posted:

I think I am the only Latin American who didn't care for DBZ. I watched Saint Seiya and Kamen Rider. Uruguayan TV was and still is poo poo so I had to watch Saint Seiya in Argie channels and then rewatched them and Kamen Rider on Brazilian channels.

I mostly remember Fandangos commercials though. I don't even know what they are, look like some sort of Brazilian cheetos.

Kinda sorta Cheetos, yeah (greasy corn snacks that came in a bunch of different flavors). They were less offensive to the nearby nostrils, at least if you got the ham one (aka the best one).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't want to alarm you guys but I think that drug lord fellow might have had inside help when he escaped.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Scaramouche posted:

I don't want to alarm you guys but I think that drug lord fellow might have had inside help when he escaped.

But what is his opinion on DBZ?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Corridos are calling this "The Second Flushing of El Chapo", heh. Here's some news:

http://eldeforma.com/2015/07/12/es-un-hecho-chapo-guzman-compra-todo-grecia-y-se-da-asilo-politico-inmediato/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aliquid posted:

Corridos are calling this "The Second Flushing of El Chapo", heh. Here's some news:

http://eldeforma.com/2015/07/12/es-un-hecho-chapo-guzman-compra-todo-grecia-y-se-da-asilo-politico-inmediato/

The comments are great, saying he now owns the Golden Armors from Saint Seiya.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Scaramouche posted:

Which time?

Maybe Mexico should execute prisoners it can't hold or extradict them to America.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Polidoro posted:

But what is his opinion on DBZ?

He's a big fan of Chau Tsu because he identifies with being short.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Could Chapo watch Caballeros del Zodiaco in prison though? If he wasn't allowed then that's a violation of his human rights and good on him for escaping.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
A mayor from a small town in Minas Gerais, Brazil, was flying over his lands, throwing molotovs at the MST (Landless Workers' Movement) camp currently occupying it.

And then he crashed. And died.

http://g1.globo.com/mg/vales-mg/noticia/2015/07/aviao-cai-em-ocupacao-do-mst-em-tumiritinga-e-deixa-dois-mortos.html

(in portuguese)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

A mayor from a small town in Minas Gerais, Brazil, was flying over his lands, throwing molotovs at the MST (Landless Workers' Movement) camp currently occupying it.

http://g1.globo.com/mg/vales-mg/noticia/2015/07/aviao-cai-em-ocupacao-do-mst-em-tumiritinga-e-deixa-dois-mortos.html

(in portuguese)

Holy poo poo. People are blaming PT and MST in the comments. But this is looking bad for the mayor (besides being dead already). Why did he hide the plane identification with duct tape? Also why were the bodies burned if the plane itself didn't catch fire when crashing? Why don't they know where the second plane is?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nerdz posted:

Holy poo poo. People are blaming PT and MST in the comments. But this is looking bad for the mayor (besides being dead already). Why did he hide the plane identification with duct tape? Also why were the bodies burned if the plane itself didn't catch fire when crashing? Why don't they know where the second plane is?

Probably all Dilma's fault.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

(in portuguese)

:thurman:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

http://oglobo.globo.com/brasil/delator-da-lava-jato-diz-que-cunha-pediu-propina-de-us-5-milhoes-16790059

Oops

E: And now he says he's thinking about impeaching Dilma again.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 17, 2015

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

So he wants to see who will fall first? Of course everyone who believes only PT is corrupt and destroying the party will save Brazil are bringing up PT conspiracies or completely ignoring this. The informant mentioned a lot of other people, like Lobão. Will they have to testimony as well?

nerdz fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 18, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nerdz posted:

So he wants to see who will fall first? Of course everyone who believes only PT is corrupt and destroying the party will save Brazil are bringing up PT conspiracies or completely ignoring this. The informant mentioned a lot of other people, like Lobão. Will they have to testimony as well?

Who knows. I'm incredibly frustrated by the English language reporting on this - they're reporting Cunha's "break with the government" as the main event, and barely mentioning that he's doing this as a hissy fit after being accused of corruption.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Badger of Basra posted:

Who knows. I'm incredibly frustrated by the English language reporting on this - they're reporting Cunha's "break with the government" as the main event, and barely mentioning that he's doing this as a hissy fit after being accused of corruption.

Also, that it's mostly a formality, since Cunha has been opposition since he was elected as house of representatives (or whatever the American equivalent is) president.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cunha is was with the government the same way Frank Underwood was with the government in House of Cards. It was pretty hilarious how his biggest gripe with being compared with that character was because Underwood was a bisexual because not even he can deny that both use the same methods.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
cunha is a known corrupt bastard since the late 90's. the only remarkable thing avout this whole story is that it took 26 years for the public to realize that he's a scoundrel he decided to expose himself and become president of the congress instead of laying low and keep stealing for another 26 years.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-33590417

I don't know if this is the right thread, but :unsmith:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

La justicia tarda.

:ironicat: from the UDI General Secretary "Part of the story is told, without its context"

The context is two kids beaten up by a military patrol, doused in gas and set aflame

EDIT: You probably want this in English.

Traveller fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 23, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Traveller posted:

La justicia tarda.

:ironicat: from the UDI General Secretary "Part of the story is told, without its context"

The context is two kids beaten up by a military patrol, doused in gas and set aflame

The left has orchestrated an unprecedented white-washing of history to make people forget that Salvador Allende was the Night's King, and its supporters, before and after the coup, were White Walkers.
:banderadechileconcondoritollorando:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
CFK kicked well-known latin momrock singer out of the Casa Rosada for having OPINIONS :mexico:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
kicking out Maná... maybe there is hope for peronism yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Something something Imperialist agents.

Edit: Sometimes I feel like we should combine the Venezuela and Latin American threads, if only to have a more, uh, comprehensive OP and also because I want more people to experience the Borneo Jimmy Experience.