Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
They probably have exclusive rights to VERY specific things, like "Star wars card game", "Star wars roleplaying", "star wars dungeon questing" blah blah blah. Star Wars worker placement was up for grabs

How long until we get Battle Star Galactica: Star Wars Edition :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm also soliciting opinions on Brew Crafters. It feels like that and La Granja are the only two things I'm currently looking at adding to my collection. Another take or two on La Granja would also be great, as I continue to get mixed takes (including the one I already got here -- thanks!)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
FFG doesn't have the rights to make Star Wars board games. Imperial Assault is technically a miniatures game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
kill me now I would buy and buy and buy Star Wars or X-Files COIN

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Poopy Palpy posted:

FFG doesn't have the rights to make Star Wars board games. Imperial Assault is technically a miniatures game.

I see team covenant post videos of imperial assault 1v1 tourneys and Im thinking "who the gently caress is buying this game for that"

T-Bone posted:

FBI, The US Government, The REAL US Government, and greys would rule

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

I'm also soliciting opinions on Brew Crafters. It feels like that and La Granja are the only two things I'm currently looking at adding to my collection. Another take or two on La Granja would also be great, as I continue to get mixed takes (including the one I already got here -- thanks!)

Brew Crafters was a solid game, but I want more than a solid game nowadays. It's also a processing game where you turn x into y and then use it as z. I'm tired of those, and frankly no one does that kind of game better than Uwe Rosenberg. I really like La Granja, just re-bought it and received it today in fact.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lorini posted:

Brew Crafters was a solid game, but I want more than a solid game nowadays. It's also a processing game where you turn x into y and then use it as z. I'm tired of those, and frankly no one does that kind of game better than Uwe Rosenberg. I really like La Granja, just re-bought it and received it today in fact.

Why the re-buy? Did something about it lead you to get rid of it or completely unrelated story?

That's kind of my take on Brew Crafters from what I've read on it. Honestly, I'm just looking at filling out an order for free shipping. La Granja has pole position, although I may just break down and say that I'll pre-order the Luna reprint as I've too much to play on my plate right now anyway.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Megasabin posted:

The Arctic Scavengers big box is only 30 bucks. Includes the base game and the new expansion. I think I remember hearing good things about it. Anyone have opinions?

Crackbone posted:

Eh. It's not as good as Dominion/Puzzle Strike/EmDo but better than the market row deckbuilders.

It is definitely one of the better non-Dominion deck builders, especially since it does not have the market row.

The base game is pretty dull quickly, but the built-in expansions make it better and the new real expansion should add a lot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

FBI, The US Government, The REAL US Government, and greys would rule

I was thinking FBI, Syndicate, Greys, Rebel Aliens

ONE SON
Remove all Greys or Infected Syndicate from Washington D.C.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 29, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Megasabin posted:

Ah that's disappointing. I love the idea of a direct confrontation deck builder that works with multiple people, and the theme was super cool.

Why disappointing? Not being as good as the best games in the genre in no crime. It's very solid, much better than most, but yes, Dominion is still better. (And ps is basically dominion )

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
. Let me be abundantly clear. Mysterium is to Dixit what Arctic Scavengers or Trains was to Dominion- it’s a game that takes one of these never-before-seen ideas, then polishes it up and adds the storytelling that simultaneously praises the original concept and consigns it to the dumpster of history.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

T-Bone posted:

X-Files COIN

I haven't played a COIN game, but this sounds amazing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

T-Bone posted:

Deep Space Nine COIN would be instapurchase.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

. Let me be abundantly clear. Mysterium is to Dixit what Arctic Scavengers or Trains was to Dominion- it’s a game that takes one of these never-before-seen ideas, then polishes it up and adds the storytelling that simultaneously praises the original concept and consigns it to the dumpster of history.

Wow, really? I am pretty excited for Mysterium as a family game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Picked up the Space Alert expansion today as a future play purchase as we're loving Space Alert but still happily chewing through it, some of these threats are bonkers.

The experience system looks really, really cool though.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Wow, really? I am pretty excited for Mysterium as a family game.

I'll probably be selling off my (Polish) Mysterium pretty soon. It's fine, but even after just a few places it's steering into some ruts. Every once in a while there's something really creative or fun you can do, but too often it just doesn't work very well and you're back to "here's some cards with hats, so he probably means the suspect with the biggest hats", "these all have water" or "yeah that's about the same color". My 7 year old wants to play it sometimes, otherwise it would be permanently shelf-bound.

It's a fun idea, and worth trying if you get a free chance, but in practice I'd much rather play Dixit.

Also, responding to the previous guy, I thought Trains was pretty much terrible - "big money + a few trashers/something" won far too often, and buying the upgraded lines/stations almost never panned out, leaving the game very repetitive. One of the most disappointing games in recent memory.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
It's a shut up and sit down quote, I'm sorry to have fooled you all.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

The End posted:

Why disappointing? Not being as good as the best games in the genre in no crime. It's very solid, much better than most, but yes, Dominion is still better. (And ps is basically dominion )

I mean I know not every game is gonna be the best, but usually when people really like a game, they have other good/interesting things to say about it. When all there is "It's a good game, but not as good as these other games", that doesn't leave me excited to buy it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

You know what, loving fine, now I will buy Carcassonne. They win.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Megasabin posted:

I mean I know not every game is gonna be the best, but usually when people really like a game, they have other good/interesting things to say about it. When all there is "It's a good game, but not as good as these other games", that doesn't leave me excited to buy it.

Fair enough. To elaborate on it further - it's like a good handpicked Dominion kingdom, which incorporates some seaside cards (stashing) and some intrigue (messing with opponents). It also has two central markets, but rather than openly grabbing great cards as they come up, you have to use cards from your hand to search (junkpile) or hold cards back to fight (contested). The junkpile cards are slight upgrades, but also a source of the game's second currency - meds - whereas the contested cards are like 5 - 7 cost dominion cards - very powerful or high value. It retains a lot of the lessons from dominion - making actions limited so you can't just have spammy turns unless you earned them, and high victory value cards tend to be useless - and amps up the direct interaction a step by having the skirmishes at the end of turn.

It's great for when you want a satisfying db experience and can't be bothered to pick out a Dominion kingdom or to bring 3-4 boxes with you.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Apparently this is the Proof of Concept/Prototype:

Roads are... hyperspace routes? Planets are probably monasteries? Cities are... um... nebulas? Star clusters? Sub-galaxies? That part's probably still being worked on. There's little rebel/imperial symbols on different parts of space. Pre-built-in farmer/field mechanic? I'm so confused but also morbidly curious.

e: Is that a smuggler symbol near the top bit of space and on Tatooine? Neutral?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Flipswitch posted:

Picked up the Space Alert expansion today as a future play purchase as we're loving Space Alert but still happily chewing through it, some of these threats are bonkers.

The experience system looks really, really cool though.

Straight up, if you're not playing with the experience system, you're missing out on the real deal Space Alert experience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Archenteron posted:

e: Is that a smuggler symbol near the top bit of space and on Tatooine? Neutral?

Looks like the Black Sun emblem. Probably for some kind of Scum & Villainy faction.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Memnaelar posted:

I'm also soliciting opinions on Brew Crafters.

As others have said, it is solid, you won't be disappointed with it, but it doesn't really do anything exciting or new. It's not a bad game, but it isn't something that you'll want to play all the time, either. The theme is good and it feels like it is conveyed well so if you like the idea of having a microbrewery and beating other people at brewing beer, then go for it. I haven't played the 'advanced' rules yet, though, so maybe they make the game stand out more?

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?
Is The Resistance (The Dystopian Universe) just a visual update from the original The Resistance game? Someone told me it has an expansion already in it, but I'm not finding any evidence of that. We own Avalon but it's pretty beat up right now. Not sure if I should just buy another copy of Avalon or go for the different theme.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda is the expansion for The Resistance. I believe IG&B have both confirmed and denied that Avalon would be getting another expansion, so :shrug:

Currently, sci-fi Resistance has more options (but as a result is more expensive) than Avalon, but who knows in the future?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The "expansion" that comes with the dystopian version is a deck of special action cards, the first leader for each mission draws one. They're really unexciting, the special roles in Avalon are a million times better. The expansions for the dystopian version include the Avalon special roles, along with a bunch of other new stuff that people like, but some of the expansion cards have obviously misprinted backs, meaning you might need sleeves to play with them.

As an aside I believe the dystopian version came first and Avalon was released afterward.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So how about Deus? Only time we have actually just stopped mid-game and everyone agreed to play something else.

It just felt like a chore to pick all my resources every time I built a new building. I managed to pick up absolutely all the stone, by using 2 stone production cards.

Maybe we did something wrong, but it seemed nice the first few rounds and then it just became a book-keeping chore. Also didn't help that turns vary from like 5 second discard-draw and 5 minutes of building and resolving all your cards, makes wait for your turn really slow sometimes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

Why the re-buy? Did something about it lead you to get rid of it or completely unrelated story?

That's kind of my take on Brew Crafters from what I've read on it. Honestly, I'm just looking at filling out an order for free shipping. La Granja has pole position, although I may just break down and say that I'll pre-order the Luna reprint as I've too much to play on my plate right now anyway.

I sold my original La Granja for an amount that covered what I paid for it plus this new copy. I knew I was going to buy this copy when I sold my first one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

St0rmD posted:

Straight up, if you're not playing with the experience system, you're missing out on the real deal Space Alert experience.
Yeah a bunch of my friends got really excited when I mentioned it had this and they're all really hyped to play it.

We're gonna play some normal Space Alert tomorrow and maybe some Quantum and then check out the expansion stuff while we drink some beers and stuff. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sistergodiva posted:

So how about Deus? Only time we have actually just stopped mid-game and everyone agreed to play something else.

It just felt like a chore to pick all my resources every time I built a new building. I managed to pick up absolutely all the stone, by using 2 stone production cards.

Maybe we did something wrong, but it seemed nice the first few rounds and then it just became a book-keeping chore. Also didn't help that turns vary from like 5 second discard-draw and 5 minutes of building and resolving all your cards, makes wait for your turn really slow sometimes.

Was pretty fun online, which obviously cut out all the bookkeeping and then it was just waiting for async turns which is always fine online if you're into that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah a bunch of my friends got really excited when I mentioned it had this and they're all really hyped to play it.

We're gonna play some normal Space Alert tomorrow and maybe some Quantum and then check out the expansion stuff while we drink some beers and stuff. :)

A few of friends of my wife and I started up a monthly game of SA with the experience/campaign systems and I can't imagine playing without our characters again.

It's amazing.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I asked about Tash-Kalar on mobile and got a cryptic but promising answer: https://twitter.com/damucz/status/626499617547550721

Hopefully that's their next project after Through The Ages?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Poopy Palpy posted:

Actually, that's X-Wing. Imperial Assault is costing FFG money to Hasbro, I believe, because it definitely is a board game. They hosed up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

S.J. posted:

Actually, that's X-Wing. Imperial Assault is costing FFG money to Hasbro, I believe, because it definitely is a board game. They hosed up.

FFG classes is as a "miniatures game" instead of a "board game" on their website, if that counts for anything.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I guess Plaid Hat is merging into Z-Man or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUXuB-4C0jM

Does Z-Man do in-house development a la Alea or HiG? Maybe that could help vOv

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

They probably have exclusive rights to VERY specific things, like "Star wars card game", "Star wars roleplaying", "star wars dungeon questing" blah blah blah. Star Wars worker placement was up for grabs

How long until we get Battle Star Galactica: Star Wars Edition :v:

:cripes:

Carcassonne is not a worker placement game.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

I asked about Tash-Kalar on mobile and got a cryptic but promising answer: https://twitter.com/damucz/status/626499617547550721

Hopefully that's their next project after Through The Ages?

In an early designer diary Vlaada said that he created it with an app in mind. He doesn't like one on one competitive games generally, but he thought it would work well as an app, or something like that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

jivjov posted:

FFG classes is as a "miniatures game" instead of a "board game" on their website, if that counts for anything.

It doesn't, unfortunately. Our margin on Imperial Assault dropped right before it came out for just this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

S.J. posted:

It doesn't, unfortunately. Our margin on Imperial Assault dropped right before it came out for just this reason.

Can you get me a copy of the 1999 Hasbro edition of Acquire? TIA :banjo:

e: Oh wait you work for FFG?
e: or a GAME STORE. I'm going to go play lost cities or something, cya!