Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Aren't there two different Kantai Collection animes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

James Garfield posted:

I only know the ship girl animes exist because of this game but I hope the main characters have a historically accurate attrition rate. :allears:

I too would love a spiritual successor to Hostel or Saw.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

James Garfield posted:

I only know the ship girl animes exist because of this game but I hope the main characters have a historically accurate attrition rate. :allears:
Being halfway through the second episode, I strongly agree they should.

While Girls Und Panzer wasn't amazing, it was at least fun to watch and had great tanks. But this is just... well... :shrek:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Poil posted:

Everyone really should watch at least the first episode of the stinker Kantai Collection to understand how pubbies view the game and see it from their eyes.

Everything becomes so clear now. How and why they do what they do. Everything. It's an indescribable feeling of enlightenment. But like all knowledge it comes at a terrible cost.

Look at this guy endorsing the anime. You're actually a FOG recruiter I bet, trying to use your anime hypno magic on us!
Don't do it, save yourselves.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funnily enough the Arpeggio property, which "Fleet of Fog" is from, is actually really good. It just gets all the people linking it with Kancolle stuff as well since there are some very superficial similarities. As for Kancolle... regardless of how one feels about the property as a whole(mediocre at best), just about everyone agrees that the anime was absolutely terrible, for any number of reasons. Not even the funny bad, just bad.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I am an Anime Fan™ and I can confirm the Kancolle anime was bad. Which is, of course, why Japan is making a second season of the show. Because Japan has really good taste in anime nowadays. And why Sega, instead of trying to dig themselves out of their financial ditch, are making an arcade game for it.

OSad fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 30, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

James Garfield posted:

Kisaragi is the only one that dies. I read that the last episode handwaves everyone else surviving because they are stuck in a timeloop until they win the war. It's really, really dumb, even by anime standards.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pubbies why do you not fire on DDs, you are in cruisers, I am in a BB. Do not make me be the only one fighting the DDs off.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I managed to kill a destroyer with a South Carolina's secondaries. :smug:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

OK, found the stream. Go to 28 minutes in to watch him utterly fail to kill me. Jesus I thought I was angled a lot better than that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I'm downloading right now, what is the most powerful and easy to play tree?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
420 ram DDs errday.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Lord Koth posted:

Funnily enough the Arpeggio property, which "Fleet of Fog" is from, is actually really good. It just gets all the people linking it with Kancolle stuff as well since there are some very superficial similarities. As for Kancolle... regardless of how one feels about the property as a whole(mediocre at best), just about everyone agrees that the anime was absolutely terrible, for any number of reasons. Not even the funny bad, just bad.

The anime was pretty meh but I enjoyed the manga at least.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

OK, found the stream. Go to 28 minutes in to watch him utterly fail to kill me. Jesus I thought I was angled a lot better than that.

Jesus this video is horrifying as I watch more. "Maybe I'm not as good as I was during closed beta" no poo poo.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Washout posted:

I'm downloading right now, what is the most powerful and easy to play tree?

Cruisers are very forgiving with their shorter reloads and decent health pools. US CAs rely primarily on their guns and don't have (or have fairly mediocre) torpedoes, instead opting for better AA and faster turning guns. Its a forgiving and easy tree to play up till Tier 7, when the playstyle shifts. IJN CAs are also fairly forgiving, but they switch playstyles much earlier, at Tier 5, and have better torpedoes. More of a multitool ship than US CAs, which are shoot and shoot and shoot down planes.

DDs are not very forgiving if you get caught, but you can kill plenty of unaware players at early tiers and they grow into their own niches later on. BBs require some patience and good aim, and CVs are basically playing a completely different game (an RTS).

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
IJN DDs, USN CAs rock.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
US CA's it is then. Maybe gently caress around with the IJN DD's too.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Hey, here's a Tirpitz replay. It got stalked by our CV all game so you can at least get a good idea of what its AA is like currently. Apparently it's pretty good! I didn't even get to look at it until I was dead, so press 'Ctrl+R+RShift+Backspace' all together to unlock the actual free camera and fly over to it.

It wasn't anything special in my part, I kinda yolo'd at the end and died like a dumbass. Still somehow ended at the top of the team. :v: I do feel kinda bad for the tester though, because it looked like he was basically mobbed by his own team and couldn't maneuver much until the end, since everyone wanted to take a look at the Tirpitz. I guess this is the price of bote fame.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

wdarkk posted:

How does he manage to be so bad in a New Mex? Also tier 8 grind fest time sometime soon?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
These CLs really need to learn to not move at 90 degree angles to my guns. And to load AP. Crushed a Kuma who was driving perpendicular to my guns and not changing speed at all, then I got in a 3km knife fight with a phoenix that was shooting HE at my Omaha, then blew an unangled murmansk out of the water, and finally sniped at a Kuma for a bunch of citadels off a single salvo that didn't kill it
Then I burned to death. :negative:

Seriously don't be the guy trying to do this to a cruiser:

e: Checked the replay, turns out it was the first Kuma I got the single salvo citadels on, second one was incaps that I thought were citadel hits.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 30, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Michi88 posted:

How does he manage to be so bad in a New Mex? Also tier 8 grind fest time sometime soon?

Maybe. I have an appointment tomorrow but after that should be fine.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What was he doing wrong other than not angling his hull between salvos? Because that looks a lot like what it looks like when I'm playing my Mogami.

E: other than wasting 3 salvos trying to land anything at all on a cruiser. I'm not that bad at ranging/leading.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just had an allied Kuma torpedo every single one of our own DDs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Washout posted:

US CA's it is then. Maybe gently caress around with the IJN DD's too.

Definitely gently caress around with IJN DDs. DDs are like light tanks, except that every 40 seconds or so, they can shoot 4+ torpedoes. They only go maybe twice the speed of a ship, but they have a lead indicator, so if someone doesn't change course, you'll hit them reliably. Each torpedo does 1/4-1/2 of the health of most ships you'll face, as well as almost 100% of the time causing flooding, which does damage over time like a fire. And while they spot the torpedoes eventually, most of the bigger ships won't be able to dodge them unless they were already moving. You also get consumable smoke screens and a temporary speed boost. DDs are a completely different style to BBs, and significantly different from CAs, but they are so much fun. Just know that you will get wrecked in <5 shots from a bigger ship, so keep weaving.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

grrarg posted:

Kisaragi is the only one that dies. I read that the last episode handwaves everyone else surviving because they are stuck in a timeloop until they win the war. It's really, really dumb, even by anime standards.

Thanks for ruining Groundhog Day, Japan.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Artificer posted:

I actually agree with this, so you're in good company. I found more than a few of the changes and things they emphasized in the anime to be pretty dumb. And I'm not terribly amused by what I'm hearing about the upcoming movie either. That said, at least some people seemed to like it, and if it gets them reading the manga then all's at least somewhat well.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Anime is poo poo. In other news, sky is blue and sun rises in the east.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Artificer posted:

Pretty much this.
Also, just when i think i've seen it all, pubs surprise me, i was lit on fire by a friendly by 3 times while he was trying to kill the low hp bb dueling me.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 30, 2015

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
ehh are you sure you weren't lit by his secondaries

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

yaay posted:

ehh are you sure you weren't lit by his secondaries

He was in a pheonix /spelling, and i believe outside the range of secondaries

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What?? Torpedoes have a lead indicator?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Trying to finish the South Carolina has completely obliterated my will to play this game. I hate it so much. It's a downgrade in almost every way from every other ship I've played. I'd rather play the Chester.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Trying to finish the South Carolina has completely obliterated my will to play this game. I hate it so much. It's a downgrade in almost every way from every other ship I've played. I'd rather play the Chester.

The next two are pretty nice though.
On a side note, i think 7 losses and 1 win in a row is a good time to say screw it for tonight. Stopping 110k short of Iowa.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 30, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Had a match in my New York a little bit ago where I dodged 3 full flights of plane-launched torpedoes - both teams were rather impressed by that little feat of maneuvering, and the carrier driver was cussing me out the entire game. That was about my only bit of good luck the entire game, as the rest of my team were a bunch of amoeba with the skills to match.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

InstantInfidel posted:

How do you get your torpedo bombers to drop all of their torps in those shallow angles instead of the usual, as illustrated below:

code:
--->

--->

--->

--->
code:
--->  ---> ---> ---->
I've seen multiple people drop them like the second example, and can't figure out how.

I have had this happen a few times playing CV's with auto drop, Auto drop planes will freak out if the ship does sudden course change when they are at the edge of their drop zone. It can be really great if they freak out and all of them hit the target on their new course, but I have also seen them drop them in the opposite direction than intended

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Stevefin posted:

I have had this happen a few times playing CV's with auto drop, Auto drop planes will freak out if the ship does sudden course change when they are at the edge of their drop zone. It can be really great if they freak out and all of them hit the target on their new course, but I have also seen them drop them in the opposite direction than intended

I just love how torpedo bombers can circle my ship and instantly turn 180 degrees around while launching torpedoes with perfect precision to sink me at my spawn while the carrier sits behind an island 30 km away.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wdarkk posted:

Jesus this video is horrifying as I watch more. "Maybe I'm not as good as I was during closed beta" no poo poo.

Watching this guy whine endlessly about BBs while he stays very far away and shoots badly and gets wasted is hilarious.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
drat, new personal best in my Tier 4 DD

I was on a freaking roll, and if I hadn't juked left and instead just kept moving in a straight line I would've survived the match. Ah well - I've got enough xp now to get the Nicholas. Now I just need to come up with another 3mil credits so I can buy both it and the Cleveland.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

What?? Torpedoes have a lead indicator?

Look around next time you bring up your torpedoes. If you have someone targeted, there will be a white cone similar to your aiming cone coming off in a direction. If you aim there, shoot, and they don't change course or speed, you'll hit. It makes torpedoes usable at longer ranges, but if someone is speeding up, slowing down, or turning at all you'll still miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It makes torpedoes usable at longer ranges, but if someone is speeding up, slowing down, or turning at all you'll still miss.

Or get at such close ranges that a miss is impossible - I dropped a destroyer in my last match by using torps at such close range that he didn't have a chance to even dodge.

And don't worry - pubbies are so stupid that very rarely will you encounter an opponent who will do anything to avoid torps - it's why people will shoot them blindly at max distance. Destroyers are especially nice kills when that happens, since they never think anyone will bother to shoot a torpedo at them, and sometimes by the time they see them it's too late.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 30, 2015