Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah. As stated previously in this thread, it would have probably been more of a headache for CDPR to create and implement, but instead of Geralt of Riva, the Butcher of Blaviken, the White Wolf, the best swordsman in the north, needing to gain levels before he can hunt something is kinda silly. You should have access to 3/4 of the skills from the get-go, with alt-signs and alt-sword attacks gated behind putting some points into their respective trees, and everything is fightable from the beginning, but some things would require you to gain some extra skills/knowledge/equipment to better fight the monster/enemy. I am no videogame developer, but I think they could have come up with some sort of system so the enemies were more uniform but prep work would have been more important. Or something. Make it so mutagens make you more powerful rather than going in decoctions (while keeping decotions - adds opportunity cost :eng101: ).

God, I hope New Game+ is close to what you just described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just wish more RPGs were like souls in the combat dept (not functionally just how it's implemented) in that it's mostly skill and a little bit of leveling.

The whole leveling thing is just a way for rpg makers to get away with extremely shallow combat by attaching numbers to it and giving you numbers to make things easier. They get away with it too because gamers seem to love watching numbers go up. I wish leveling was just gone from games. I'm not picking on witcher or anything because most games do it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

I just wish more RPGs were like souls in the combat dept (not functionally just how it's implemented) in that it's mostly skill and a little bit of leveling.

The whole leveling thing is just a way for rpg makers to get away with extremely shallow combat by attaching numbers to it and giving you numbers to make things easier. They get away with it too because gamers seem to love watching numbers go up. I wish leveling was just gone from games. I'm not picking on witcher or anything because most games do it.

"The whole leveling thing" is literally in the pedigree of every rpg ever made. Praise Gygax.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh I know. I'm just saying it's needless in video games anymore and I wish it was gone. Maybe keep it around for turn based stuff I dunno. I just wish it wasn't ARPGS.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Don't suppose anyone has a good summary of TW1/TW2? Didn't really get into either of them but Witcher 3 looks like it's pretty fun and I already own it anyways

E: also any important mods?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man the idea of RPGs/Witcher 3 without stats and leveling and loot and etc sounds completely god awful. I've got no problem with the opinions you guys have but nope x a billion.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Iron Rose posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a good summary of TW1/TW2? Didn't really get into either of them but Witcher 3 looks like it's pretty fun and I already own it anyways

How detailed do you want?

Generally you need to know that it takes place in the Northern Kingdoms who are at war with an empire named Nilfgaard. Nilfgaard's emperor, Emhyr, is the biological father to Geralt's foster daughter.
There are a group of sorceresses called The Lodge who want to ensure they are in positions of power. Most of the sorceresses are very powerful and very ruthless at achieving their goals.
Many humans are racists and horrible.
There are elven guerilla fighters called scoia'tael that want to rebuild their culture and/or kill humans.

W1 isn't that important in the overall scheme. Basically what you need to know is that Geralt is a Witcher, which is a monster slayer created by forcibly mutating kids. Most die in the process. Everyone thinks he's dead but he appears with amnesia. A sorceress named Triss is in love with Geralt and convinces him that he loves her (He was friends with her before he lost his memory, but she isn't the sorceress he was in love with before).

In W2 a couple kings are killed, including Foltest of Temeria. Triss and Geralt are his court sorceress and witcher. Geralt is framed and goes off to clear his name. It turns out The Lodge had hired another witcher, Letho to kill one of those kings. But this was just a plot by Emhyr - he actually hired/coerced Letho into killing several - to frame them and destabilize the North. The remaining Northern king is Radovid and he's brilliant and crazy. He's trying to kill all magic users.

Also everyone is terrible and racist.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Iron Rose posted:

You really don't need much from the previous witcher games to get into W3, it takes a lot more from the books than the past two games with Geralt having his memory back.

If you're curious and have a few hours to kill, people on youtube have made movies out of clips and cut-scenes from the previous games.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Palpek posted:

I have nothing against traveling back to Velen. I was more referring to the fact that the quest is super easy to miss because it's at sea, on a random small island that you may never swim by unless you're clearing the question marks and not using harbor markers like I was at the moment.

Why is that bad though? You're rewarded for exploring with a quest. It's not like the wow days where you had to compulsively hunt down quests to avoid having to grind because the leveling design made getting to max level difficult. You could probably clown this entire game on death march doing nothing more than main story missions (and required/relevant sub quests).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Man the idea of RPGs/Witcher 3 without stats and leveling and loot and etc sounds completely god awful. I've got no problem with the opinions you guys have but nope x a billion.

Lawnie posted:

"The whole leveling thing" is literally in the pedigree of every rpg ever made. Praise Gygax.
Okay but arguably the strongest parts of the Witcher franchise are the writing, characters, and quest structure with persistant repercussions. There are lots of action games that have no level-up system. It wasn't until CoD4 that this XP->level up became pervasive to all genres of games.

I assume that the "Praise Gygax" comment was alluding to the tongue-in-cheek nature of your comment, since leveling up as a focus of rpgs is definitly not universal in the pencil & paper industry, despite becoming the norm in the horrible adaption and butchering of the rpg concept in video games. Witcher is one of the few franchises that actually takes the "role playing" aspect of rpgs to heart. In a age where any game with a leveling and skill system is considered to have "rpg elements", Witcher is one of the few that actually lets you make meaninful decisions based on the qualities of your character.

I think the that the leveling and skill system in Witcher works because it's so incremental and each point has so little effect. It makes for a really smooth increase in power level. However, the enemies essentially stay the same difficulty for the whole game, and you get more powerful. The gameplay, which is one of the weakest aspects of the game, would be virtually unchanged if you started at level 24 and never levelled up, but the enemies were harder. Maybe you could still get extra skill points from finding Places of Power.

If Places of Power replaced XP as the only form of improving your character, that would work just fine.

The idea that solving a small problem for a person in a village that no one cares about is worth less, now that you are bigger and more important, is hosed up and antithetical to the general themes of the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think every aspect that makes an RPG good would remain intact and games in general would be better without stat boosting. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge nerd and like playing dressup and getting a better sword etc. but just pumping numbers up is pretty much what has held the genre back forever, since things are arbitrarily hard or easy depending on level/gear etc. Stats are pretty much the sole reason RPG's get away with having shittier gameplay than every other game because difficulty just comes down to numbers. I'm just so tired of "lvl 4 bandit is hard when you are lvl 1, but easy if you are lvl 5, and a level 30 bandit is literally the same enemy as a lvl1 with more numbers attached to it" in every RPG. It's such a cop out.

That's why I used Souls as an example because I think it's one of the only games that strikes a good balance of skill and stat tweaking nerdery. You get to play around with points and get new stuff/upgrade it, but it's not the only thing blocking your path. There's actual variety in the enemies and you have to learn their patterns and get better. Most RPG's just feels like you are playing a numbers game and I'm worn out on it.

That said, I should give TW3 some credit because the combat is at least sort of involved and dynamic which puts it ahead of a lot of other games. And I really don't think good combat was their first priority which is fine. Still with better gameplay I think it would be absolutely amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

That said, I should give TW3 some credit because the combat is at least sort of involved and dynamic which puts it ahead of a lot of other games. And I really don't think good combat was their first priority which is fine. Still with better gameplay I think it would be absolutely amazing.

That's the thing though, Witcher 3's combat is pretty good, which is why it's confusing that some brown bears are level 2 and some brown bears are level 30. How the gently caress does that work. I mean, hell, in Skellige A bunch of hardened badasses are killed by 3 rampaging bears and this is considered an expected and normal tragedy. Also, you win a fist fight against a bear. Nothing is really gained from the leveling system except artificially railroading you through content. That's not a bad thing, but that's not the best way to do it. Zelda games, for example, don't really do the numbers thing as much and they are loved for it.

I want an instant-kill mode like in Way of the Samurai. Swords. loving. Kill. You.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Witcher 3: Revengeance.

Basically, Platinum should make all the games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a solution for the "this version of the base game isn't supported" error for patch 1.07 yet? I'm not finding anything but maybe I'm just dumb.

I'd really like to be able to use the DLC with this lovely, buggy patch.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Superstring posted:

Sorry. Looks like you misspelled From Software.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am experiencing a bug right now where I cannot dive by pressing/holding C. And no, I have not remapped the key binding.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Superstring posted:

Zandatsuing a group of bandits to a folk version of Rules of Nature would be :black101:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bort Bortles posted:

I am experiencing a bug right now where I cannot dive by pressing/holding C. And no, I have not remapped the key binding.

I had that for a while, but saving and reloading fixed it for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

That's the thing though, Witcher 3's combat is pretty good, which is why it's confusing that some brown bears are level 2 and some brown bears are level 30. How the gently caress does that work. I mean, hell, in Skellige A bunch of hardened badasses are killed by 3 rampaging bears and this is considered an expected and normal tragedy. Also, you win a fist fight against a bear. Nothing is really gained from the leveling system except artificially railroading you through content. That's not a bad thing, but that's not the best way to do it. Zelda games, for example, don't really do the numbers thing as much and they are loved for it.

I want an instant-kill mode like in Way of the Samurai. Swords. loving. Kill. You.

Yeah exactly. Leveling based difficulty just makes combat less interesting and story beats less meaningful. I'd really like to hear anyones reasoning for why it should stay still be in games, other than it just being what they are used to because it just promotes bland game design.

Also Platinum and From should just absorb each other and make games together.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snak posted:

There are lots of action games that have no level-up system. It wasn't until CoD4 that this XP->level up became pervasive to all genres of games.

I feel you 100% but that post CoD shift into RPG element being borderline standard is my favorite shift/trend in gaming since I started playing the NES. It absolutely works for me and I've yet to get bored of it. Seems to be that way for a lot of people. I hate having to min max in any fashion but everything else, gimme gimme gimme.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah exactly. Leveling based difficulty just makes combat less interesting and story beats less meaningful. I'd really like to hear anyones reasoning for why it should stay still be in games, other than it just being what they are used to because it just promotes bland game design.
Because seeing your character level up and unlock new skills from doing quests is to many people a much better reward than gear. It lets you extend the choices that you get in quests into protagonist development where you influence the process of what he becomes gameplay-wise. I understand that you don't like it but many people love that stuff and play RPGs mostly because of that aspect.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Any particular benefit to turning down gold from quest rewards?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Unlocking new skills is fine, leveling up and frankly, items in general don't add much to the experience at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also I would never want Platinum or From Software develop a Witcher game because the game's biggest strength by far is storytelling and quest design that is completely different than in their games. However I would have nothing against CD Projekt modifying their combat system to be even more manual skill oriented (which it already is when compared to many other story-driven rpgs) and letting you slice dudes into a thousand pieces when they're stuck in Yrden.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also I must say I enjoyed the skill trees in the previous Witcher games way way more than in this one. When I level up in Witcher 3 I don't even go into character screen because there's nothing interesting there after you unlock the middle tier, I end up going there when I have like 5-6 points to spend as a sort of 'oh yeah, I should probably get rid of the annoying level up arrow' way and I end up feeling no difference whatsoever after spending those points. In Witcher 2 I already had skills in mind that I was looking forward to as the trees unlocked actual improvements and new moves that were interesting and didn't need to be leveled up 5 times to make a difference. I think CD Projekt should really reconsider the whole thing from the ground up for the Extended Edition.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
I've had friends tell me that this game is bad because there's too much story in it, and that quest-givers in an RPG shouldn't talk this much anyways, because the whole point is to give you shinny loot with bigger numbers. :v:

So yeah, to each their own I guess. I also think it would be much better if equipment had more unique looks/stats and enemy difficulty wasn't so tied to level differences.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

sertalman posted:

I've had friends tell me that this game is bad because there's too much story in it, and that quest-givers in an RPG shouldn't talk this much anyways, because the whole point is to give you shinny loot with bigger numbers. :v:

Sever.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sertalman posted:

So yeah, to each their own I guess. I also think it would be much better if equipment had more unique looks/stats and enemy difficulty wasn't so tied to level differences.

It's just weird how many people are like "I only like RPGs with x y z features". I'm a huge stupid fanboy for Bethesda RPGs and reading the internet you'd think there's no way I could love those plus The Witcher 3. W3 gives you awesome story lines even on the side AND showers you with loot and such. Other games just vomit loot with minimal story and that's cool too. I don't know where I'm going with this, games are cool and I think people overthink them massively sometimes.

Anyway wow this game. I'm just now tracking down Dandelion and it's so good I'm having trouble slowing down and doing side quests and just adventuring finding things. After the amazing Baron quest line I got hooked in and there's this urgency I can't seem to break away from. Very few open world/RPG games nail that feeling and I mostly play those genres. Even more amusing is the fact that I really couldn't stand the first two games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anyway wow this game. I'm just now tracking down Dandelion and it's so good I'm having trouble slowing down and doing side quests and just adventuring finding things. After the amazing Baron quest line I got hooked in and there's this urgency I can't seem to break away from. Very few open world/RPG games nail that feeling and I mostly play those genres. Even more amusing is the fact that I really couldn't stand the first two games.
Don't forget to do Dandelion's side quest when you finally find him, it's one fo the best ones in the game imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Palpek posted:

Don't forget to do Dandelion's side quest when you finally find him, it's one fo the best ones in the game imo.

I'll definitely do that when I can. I'm always slightly scared about quest failing/side quests affecting the main/etc after I read a guide for how the Baron/witch stuff can go(holy poo poo)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Kraxxukalf posted:

Too add to the discussion of White Frost, it's also very similar to Fimbulwinter, another element from Norse Mythology, and goes well with Skellige and their warring families/clans.

Naglfar, the pronunciation of which in the game bugs me a lot because I'm a teranerd, is also from Norse mythology.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I actually agree that quest givers shouldn't talk much because their dialogues are usually bland, repetitive and full of cut and pasted sentences. However that is not the case in Witcher 3 because the writing is good, creative as hell and you do want to hear what the guy has to say about something as the game is full of strongly opinionated characters. Once again there's also tons of humor that is simply there and not tied to a gimmick wacky quest so even random peasants will drop lines that make you laugh instead of recycling the same meaningless lines.

There's a lot of genuine criticizm towards this game that I agree with but it doesn't change the fact that it's still the best RPG I've ever played. Its actual merits are just way ahead of any competition to me and I feel like a lot of people (not everybody mind you) start analysing stuff that could be better when compared to an imaginary perfect game and not real llife counterparts. Like improving things in ways that have never been succesfully done before instead of saying 'boy I wish this game was just like Skyrim' because the game is already ahead of that level. I think that's a big compliment.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

sertalman posted:

i don't dislike the story, but i often dread doing main quests because you can get locked into what feels like hours of talking. both voice acting and dialog is decent, but id rather ride around and slay monsters.

gschmidl posted:

Naglfar, the pronunciation of which in the game bugs me a lot because I'm a teranerd, is also from Norse mythology.

i realized immediately that skellige is fantasy-scandinavia, but there's actually location names that are just lifted directly from a map of norway, lofoten, elverum, larvik, etc.

Palpek posted:

There's a lot of genuine criticizm towards this game that I agree with but it doesn't change the fact that it's still the best RPG I've ever played. Its actual merits are just way ahead of any competition to me and I feel like a lot of people (not everybody mind you) start analysing stuff that could be better when compared to an imaginary perfect game and not real llife counterparts. Like improving things in ways that have never been succesfully done before instead of saying 'boy I wish this game was just like Skyrim' because the game is already ahead of that level. I think that's a big compliment.

witcher 3 is better than the sum of it's parts, so to speak. but i don't think theres any individual thing it does noticeably better than other similar games.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 30, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Writing, voice acting, graphics, animation, music, directing, quest design.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think it helps in a big way that Geralt is as dry as a cheese cracker. It's not bland at all, but you avoid the problem of voiced protagonists often emoting in a way you didn't anticipate when you made the choice. So far, everytime I pick a paraphrased answer what Geralt actually says is 99% on point. It's been really impressing me so far.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

One of my favorite parts has been the detective work Geralt does. I know all of the Witcher Sense bits amount to just 'find the red glowy' or 'follow the red glowy' but dammit if it doesn't make me feel like I'm actually doing monster detective work as Geralt explains clues and tracks like a fantasy CSI.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Palpek posted:

I have nothing against traveling back to Velen. I was more referring to the fact that the quest is super easy to miss because it's at sea, on a random small island that you may never swim by unless you're clearing the question marks and not using harbor markers like I was at the moment.

I found that quest as I was running around on shore. Happened to catch sight of the tree on the horizon and went "Well, even if there's nothing out there, I bet it looks gorgeous!"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The Iron Rose posted:

This is The Witcher 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6y_liK-Pds

Burns
May 10, 2008

Can someone please explain the point of the Moon Dust bomb? I've never seen any discernible effect using it on creatures that are supposedly vulnerable to it.

While it will be interesting to see NG+, I still think they need to improve the radial menu with more slots for oils, bombs and other useable items. I'd also like to see them add some kind of hardcore mode where Geralt can't access the main inventory in combat, drinking potions and applying oils has a little animation like in Witcher 1, etc. Also gently caress level 1 oils.

Also I cant wait for proper mod tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Just picked up TW2 after playing through 3 and wanting to go back. It's not bad so far, but I do miss a lot about TW3. Triss' voice acting in 2 is TERRIBLE. God drat woman.