Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Ariza posted:

If anyone's seen it, is it just sad or is it sad and funny enough for non-fans to enjoy it?

If it's the one I saw, it's not sad at all. It's following her on a tour where she performed at peoples houses. It's really interesting and there are some touching moments but it's mostly just really funny.

Edit: Whoops, that's just her comedy special. I think this doc is something new to me so I'm pretty excited to see it now. She's on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast to talk about it today.

jodai fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Watched Tig, the new Tig Notaro documentary on Netflix last night, and it was great. This is really the Year of Tig (and so well-deserved), between her Showtime tour documentary, this more serious documentary about her cancer and everything that followed, and now she's getting her own show on Amazon, co-writing it with Diablo Cody, with Louis C.K. producing.

The Netflix documentary also reveals Tig's adorable girlfriend, who she mentioned almost giddily when I saw her live a few months back. If you're any kind of fan at all, you can't help but be thrilled for her, doing so well now after so many setbacks and so much suffering.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Today I learned that Tig Nataro and Bam Margera are two different people.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Irish Joe posted:

Today I learned that Tig Nataro and Bam Margera are two different people.

Pretty easy to tell. Bam is the one with boobs.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Demitri Martin has a new special on Netflix. I'm probably going to watch it but his last one was kinda hit and miss.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jodai posted:

Demitri Martin has a new special on Netflix. I'm probably going to watch it but his last one was kinda hit and miss.

It's okay. Not his best (and he repeats a few bits from earlier specials), but worth the watch.

In other news, this week I will be seeing and working with a bunch of great comics, including Matt Braunger, Ron Funches, Brody Stevens, Sean Patton, Rory Scovel, and Anthony Jeselnik.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

All of those guys seem like they'd be a blast to hang out with. I'm pretty jealous.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, it should be a great time. Last year I got to hang out with Pete Holmes, Kumail Nanjiani, and a bunch of other great comics. Of the group, Chris Fairbanks stood out. Dude was SUPER nice. He also got in some dude's face when he saw the him repeatedly being a total creep to some girl who was clearly not into it. A+ guy.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Chris fairbanks's album is one of the best comedy albums of the last decade. Up their with the top part.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

XIII posted:

It's okay. Not his best (and he repeats a few bits from earlier specials), but worth the watch.

In other news, this week I will be seeing and working with a bunch of great comics, including Matt Braunger, Ron Funches, Brody Stevens, Sean Patton, Rory Scovel, and Anthony Jeselnik.

I liked it. Basically if you like Demitri Martin you know what you're getting. Nothing surprising or way out there, but good and funny.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Medullah posted:

I liked it. Basically if you like Demitri Martin you know what you're getting. Nothing surprising or way out there, but good and funny.

I watched it and I agree. There were a couple really laugh out loud moments and it's interesting to see him mature as a comedian. However, I still think "If I" was probably one of my favorite specials of all time so it's hard for him to beat that.

Speaking of I Like His Old Stuff Better, I've listened to that Kyle Kinane album three times in the past two days, I am not sure what exactly it is but I really love it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Eugene Mirman has a relatively new special on Netflix that I really enjoyed. I knew who he is, but I wasn't familiar with any of his other work. Really silly, but clever. And I couldn't get over how much his voice sounds like H. Jon Benjamin.

I am sad that this season of The Meltdown is over. It looks like the most fun live comedy show ever, especially the backstage segments. I love Kumail and Jonah's on-stage banter, and Emily V. Gordon could not be any more adorable.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

I haven't been to see stand up in years but in the past few days I've grabbed tickets to Joey Diaz and I got what I think are pretty good seats to see Bill Burr: Front row of the balcony. It will be cool to see the differences of a club and theater experience.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

RanchoRube posted:

I haven't been to see stand up in years but in the past few days I've grabbed tickets to Joey Diaz and I got what I think are pretty good seats to see Bill Burr: Front row of the balcony. It will be cool to see the differences of a club and theater experience.

I've seen both of them in the past year and they were both great. I think Joey Diaz is a little hit or miss with standup. He is probably my favorite interview or podcast guest/personality on earth, but his standup can vary. He was good when I saw him anyway.

Bill burr is just awesome. I caught him in portland a few months ago and loved it.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Prickly Pete posted:

I've seen both of them in the past year and they were both great. I think Joey Diaz is a little hit or miss with standup. He is probably my favorite interview or podcast guest/personality on earth, but his standup can vary. He was good when I saw him anyway.

Bill burr is just awesome. I caught him in portland a few months ago and loved it.

Right, I listen to JRE less and less but I won't miss it when Joey is on. I'm going to see him at the Ice House in Pasadena so it might be a situation where he's trying out new bits. I listen to Burr's podcasts twice a week so it is like he's a part of my life and I guess he's really happy with where his act is at right now so I'm sure it will be a good show.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I watched Tig Notoro's HBO special last night and it was AWESOME. I had only really heard of her from other stand up nerds and while it kind of started up slowly; she was speaking. very. slowly. at. first. but then she found the rhythm of the room and it was just magic, and then she took off her shirt. The funny thing was, it didn't affect her performance AT ALL.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Patton Oswalt has indefinitely postponed his shows this week in St. Louis, Denver, Dallas and New Orleans. I was really looking forward to going this weekend :(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Did he say why

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Movie shoot or something

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

JFL42 has begun, I saw Mulaney tonight. Definitely the tightest comedian out there right now - not a single wasted word. Too bad that some of these bits were older. Joe Mande opened and killed, seeing him do a full set later this weekend. Seeing Rhys Darby tomorrow as well.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
In case anyone else is being driven crazy right now, wondering where they've heard the Magic Castle story on PFT's new special before, it's from a 7-year old bootleg called This loving Thing Is Short that I finally found on an old hard drive.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Just got back from a Doug Benson show. I really only know Benson from his movies that are on Netflix and when he is a guest on other comedians' podcasts, and the show wasn't quite what I expected. Doug came on stage immediately, with no opening act. He performed almost no rehearsed material, the bulk of his stage time was spent reading tweets he had been sent from the audience earlier in the evening. He seemed to encourage his fans to shout anything out at any time, so instead of the traditional stand-up act, Doug was almost all crowd work.

After he finished reading all the tweets, Doug brought his own middler on-stage, whose name was not billed anywhere so I unfortunately already forgot it. He was very funny, with a rapid tempo and he responded to the continued audience shouts without pause, and he did about twenty minutes.

When Doug returned to the stage, I was expecting him to do material, but he did more audience participation stuff and closed with one of his movie trivia games from his podcast. Doug was adamant that the party was going to continue inside and behind the bar next to the comedy club and that everyone should come.

I went over the the bar and chatted with people for a bit until Doug showed up. If you've watched Doug's movies where they show him hanging out with his fans after a show then you can picture tonight's scene exactly. I wanted to pay my respect to Doug and tell him that I enjoyed his show, but he was mobbed with fans, and I absolutely cannot fail a piss test, so I split.

What surprised me was that during the show there were numerous tables that were shouting out how far and how many hours they had traveled to see Doug in a <100 person room. If Doug has fans willing to travel from several states away to hear him read tweets that they sent him, and have a chance to offer Doug a pipe, then I would think he has enough fans to do theaters instead of tiny rooms. Maybe he's just on a break from the traditional comedy tour, or maybe Doug has moved to an interactive show since he has built an invested audience that knows him and are with him the second he steps on stage.

Edit: I just realized that it would be quite appropriate and appreciated to bellow "What the gently caress?! I thought it said 'Stanhope'!" as soon as Benson takes the stage. Please feel free to try this out if given the opportunity.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 16, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Was it actually good? Did you enjoy it?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I enjoyed being in the audience of that show. However, right before I went out, I watched only half of Bobby Kelly's new special on Netflix and that made me laugh much, much harder. Point is that I prefer the type of stand-up that I've been watching on TV specials since I was a kid versus the loose and interactive Benson Experience, but maybe that is only because I've been able to watch TV specials for decades, but have only recently been making it a point to actually go see these guys perform.

Todd Barry has a special on Netflix that is all cherry-picked crowd work clips, and I thought that was funnier than real-time Twitter as well, but maybe that's just because I really like Todd Barry.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Seeing activity in this thread made me think it was time for the new Anthony Jeselnik special on Netflix. Then I read the thread and got sad. Then I checked Netflix and got happy!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Eugene Mirman has either gone nuts or turned into real-life Gene Belcher.

quote:

Eugene Mirman’s I’m Sorry (You’re Welcome) is a 9-volume, 7-LP comedy album that will be available worldwide on October 30th from Sub Pop.

I’m Sorry (You’re Welcome) is the culmination of a long-time dream of Eugene’s. It includes a vast array of sounds that can be described as varyingly poignant, erotic, practical, romantic, mind-altering, educational, and humorous. Need to learn Russian? Eugene provides. Meditation sounds? Eugene provides. The sound of a grown man crying? Eugene provides. Oh, also, this release contains a full set of live standup recorded at Columbia City Theater in Seattle, WA June 6, 7, & 8, 2014.

I’m Sorry (You’re Welcome) contents include:

LP1 - Live In Seattle At The Columbia City Theater
Good-humored noticings from America’s “Master of the Noticing!”

LP 2A - A Guided Meditation For The Thoughtful Body
A calming meditation to cheer and sooth the cluttered mind, the injured heart and the anxious body

LP 2B - Fuckscape
An erotic soundscape for lovebirds and adventurous friends

LP 3 - Eugene’s Comprehensive Sound Effects Library
Tremendous, mouth-made sound effects for amateur and professional foley artists alike

LP 4 - Digital Drugs
A binaural acoustic pharmacy for the carefree or ill

LP 5 - Over 45 Minutes of Crying
A full-hearted 45-minute cry-a-thon

LP 6A - Introduction To Spoken Russian
The language of Pushkin as taught by someone who left Russia at the age of 4

LP 6B - Ringtones & Outgoing Voicemail Messages For Your Personal Use
Turn every phone call you miss or receive into a thousand-million smiles

LP7 - 195 Orgasms
Sorry.

I’m Sorry (You’re Welcome) will be available digitally, or as a lavish, 7-LP box set from Sub Pop Mega Mart. Additionally, limited-edition embroidered robes and an armchair with embedded audio players, will also be available to purchase from megamart.subpop.com (while supplies last).
http://www.eugenemirman.com/news/im-sorry-youre-welcome

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Eugene Mirman is wonderful and that box set concept rules. 195 Orgasms can't possibly beat John Hodgman's 700 Hobo Names though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

quote:

LP 5 - Over 45 Minutes of Crying
A full-hearted 45-minute cry-a-thon

Finally, a comedian who caters to my desires.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gonna play fuckscape and 45 minutes of crying together on a loop forever

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

He really doesn't seem to put any effort in or give a poo poo. I watched one of his comedy specials a few years ago and it was him just reading tweets as well. I couldn't believe it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

That's his thing though, even his lovely TV show where he sat on stage on a throne and interrupted / heckled other comedians had about half its time devoted to both people standing there with their phones having a "tweet-off". And it was three comedians in a 22-minute show, so on average everyone got to do about two minutes of their act.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I love Benson's podcasts but his stand-up is low effort as gently caress.

The opposite of low effort is the new Jeselnik on Netflix. First 40 minutes is great made-up dark one liners as usual, but the last 20 minutes he does material on real life stuff that's happened to him lately: death threats, being forced to delete a tweet because CC was going to pull his show, etc. Sums up how he views his job as a comedian during tragedy. Still a lot of career left, but the last 20 mins is what people should YouTube of him when he kicks the bucket.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
My friend went to the Mirman show at Columbia City theater and words I remember from him telling me about it include weird, awkward and woman in the audience. Its also not a normal venue for a nationally known comic to do anything. Hes the only one I know about in the two years I've lived here.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The opposite of low effort is the new Jeselnik on Netflix. First 40 minutes is great made-up dark one liners as usual, but the last 20 minutes he does material on real life stuff that's happened to him lately: death threats, being forced to delete a tweet because CC was going to pull his show, etc. Sums up how he views his job as a comedian during tragedy. Still a lot of career left, but the last 20 mins is what people should YouTube of him when he kicks the bucket.

I agree with both of these points. Honestly, Doug Benson is the worst part of his projects. I really enjoy Doug Loves Movies but it's 100% because of the guests. I remember an episode where he yelled at the crowd for not responding "this is Doug Loves Movies" loud enough, threatening to stop doing the show if they didn't start bringing people. What a crybaby.

New Jeselnik is loving killer and makes me want to go back and listen to his first two albums, despite having listened to them both (for the Nth time) within the last few months.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Man, we got lucky. This week was new Jeselnik AND a new Amy Schumer special.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jeselnik's closing segment is amazing and his closing line even amazinger. Wholeheartedly recommend it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FrensaGeran posted:

Jeselnik's closing segment is amazing and his closing line even amazinger. Wholeheartedly recommend it.

That immediate cut to credits is the editing equivalent of a mic drop.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Tonight I was fortunate enough to see Bill Burr perform for the second time this year. It was a hilarious show, with Bill applying lots of physicality in acting out a portion of all of his bits. This was the very least that I had ever seen him lean on the mic stand. He put a huge amount of energy into wild gestures and overblown facial expressions and had the audience going nuts. Bill was ranting and shouting so hard that I really wonder how many years his voice can hold out if he tries to do every show turned up to 11 like tonight.

There was a nearly 25 minute bit of faux-mysogyny where Bill was baiting the women in the audience to yell out retorts and comebacks to his political-incorrectness and then he would riff on those shout-outs and incorporate them into segues so smooth it was like they were rehearsed.

On recommendation of this thread I put on Jeselnik's Netflix special and while I found his punchlines to be funny, he was doing 5 jokes in 5 minutes, mostly deadpan, like a smarmy take on Steven Wright. Then tonight Bill Burr is windmilling all over the stage with his face contorted like Fire Marshall Bill, doing bits that would still be hilarious even if he wasn't jumping around, bits that would still be funny as all hell even if he didn't do his over-the-top voices and faces.

If Bill Burr comes to town, get tickets early and get up front. Bill is an absolute killer.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My experience with Bill Burr was different. I saw him do material for a Patton Oswalt and Friends show last year. The audience was warm for everyone but Bill, they just didn't like his "ironic" misogyny shtick. So then he went on a rant about the problem being with us because the jokes were funny, that we were all online social justice warriors, etc. That still didn't get a laugh. Probably because that sort of joke is some open mic level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Like usual, I was a little bored with his one-liner material (my theory is that I've got a dark enough sense of humor that whatever shock factor is supposed to help just doesn't work on me), but I did actually enjoy his last act. I hope he does a full special of that.