Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Shoot guns all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Night10194 posted:

Watching this guy whine endlessly about BBs while he stays very far away and shoots badly and gets wasted is hilarious.

It's great. You get fun things like shooting HE at a totally immobile Atago and therefor not kill it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Trying to finish the South Carolina has completely obliterated my will to play this game. I hate it so much. It's a downgrade in almost every way from every other ship I've played. I'd rather play the Chester.

Wyoming, New York, and New Mexico are a ton of fun. Me on the other hand I am 400 xp from the Colorado and I'm scared. From what I've learned in this thread it is a completely inaccurate piece of poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In fairness to some of the people I've ninjaed with the Isokaze, it's kinda hard to dodge when you're in a BB, don't know a torpedo boat is engaging you because he's still hidden, and only get the indicator for a warning. One of the big reasons I try to stay un-spotted isn't just to avoid being shot, it's so people won't have any warning the torpedoes are coming until it's too late and the only thing they can try to do is take fewer of them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Not sure I like the 10km torpedoes on the Minekaze, that speed hit on them doesn't seem to be worth the range boost.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is the Admiral Hipper class cruiser in this game for Germany? Prinz Eugen is pretty much my favorite ship of WW2.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is the Admiral Hipper class cruiser in this game for Germany? Prinz Eugen is pretty much my favorite ship of WW2.

German poo poo ain't in yet. It'll be in soon, a bunch of their boats got released to select testers.

Also, :godwin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hazdoc posted:

German poo poo ain't in yet. It'll be in soon, a bunch of their boats got released to select testers.

Also, :godwin:

Hey, it was Germany's Lucky Ship. It managed to survive the whole war (despite a decent career as commerce raider), became USS Prinz Eugen, and ended its life in the most metal way possible, being blown the gently caress up by an underwater nuclear bomb and mostly surviving, but being too radioactive to repair and thus sunk from a minor leak. If its :godwin: to like such an awesome ship then bring me a fake broom 'stache and red arm band. :v:

Is the Regia Marina ever planned to be in the game? Beautiful ships, terrible crews. :italy:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Not sure I like the 10km torpedoes on the Minekaze, that speed hit on them doesn't seem to be worth the range boost.

They're not, stick with the 68kt torpedoes, because you still have almost 2km of invisible fun zone to cruise in between your torps max range and your spotting distance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

In fairness to some of the people I've ninjaed with the Isokaze, it's kinda hard to dodge when you're in a BB, don't know a torpedo boat is engaging you because he's still hidden, and only get the indicator for a warning. One of the big reasons I try to stay un-spotted isn't just to avoid being shot, it's so people won't have any warning the torpedoes are coming until it's too late and the only thing they can try to do is take fewer of them.

This is the number one reason to get situational awareness on a BB: if you get spotted but you can't see any enemies, there's a bunch of torpedoes heading right for you.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey, it was Germany's Lucky Ship. It managed to survive the whole war (despite a decent career as commerce raider), became USS Prinz Eugen, and ended its life in the most metal way possible, being blown the gently caress up by an underwater nuclear bomb and mostly surviving, but being too radioactive to repair and thus sunk from a minor leak. If its :godwin: to like such an awesome ship then bring me a fake broom 'stache and red arm band. :v:

I read that as the Nazis thought it was lucky, it shot a lot of unarmed ships and then was used for target practice.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Warspite is one of the most pleasant BBs to play, I love it.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Had a Two Brothers standard match in my Cleveland. Our pubbie herd had circled around to their cap, but they had a wounded Clemson, and full strength Independence and New York in or nearly in our cap. Disregarding the pubbie swearing at me for leaving what would have been inevitably a loss, I sail out of the cap, up the channel, dodge the expected torpedo spread, volley the Clemson to death, murdered the Independence while the New York was pounding me, and still get him down to half-health before I die.

Love that badge

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omaha's a pretty good boat.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is the Regia Marina ever planned to be in the game? Beautiful ships, terrible crews. :italy:
Bismarck is overrated but Prinz Eugen is at least a decent looking ship. I would consider spending money on a :911: USS Prinz Eugen.
But who knows what they did with that extra 6000 tons over a treaty cruiser :iiam:
Algérie for life

Italy is supposed to be in, but it's probably years from now.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

James Garfield posted:

Bismarck is overrated but Prinz Eugen is at least a decent looking ship. I would consider spending money on a :911: USS Prinz Eugen.
But who knows what they did with that extra 6000 tons over a treaty cruiser :iiam:
Algérie for life

Italy is supposed to be in, but it's probably years from now.

Far from me the idea to act like a wehraboo, but my teeth always cringe when people say things like that regarding the Bismark. It had flaws, just like any other ship, but was still a nice piece of engineering. The biggest flaw it suffered from was a High Command that was clueless and a Furher who thought himself as Military Savyy as Donald Trump thinks he is.

E: On one side of the spectrum, you've got people who think it was the best ship ever. On the other side, you have others who think it was a completely lovely ship. I like the middle stance, where it was a good ship for its time, which had a hyper-inflated reputation for sinking a ship, which if you think about it, was what it was designed to do.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 30, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

Far from me the idea to act like a wehraboo, but my teeth always cringe when people say things like that regarding the Bismark. It had flaws, just like any other ship, but was still a nice piece of engineering. The biggest flaw it suffered from was a High Command that was clueless and a Furher who thought himself as Military Savyy as Donald Trump thinks he is.

Germans weren't quite pants on head retarded with ships compared to some of their ground stuff. Probably a good combination of a long history of naval design and the amount of time it took to build them kept a lot of the insanity down.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Now is the time to grind credits if you have a Murmansk. So many bad players showing up for that Phoenix and Kuma contest.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

CitizenKain posted:

Germans weren't quite pants on head retarded with ships compared to some of their ground stuff.

If you want pants on head retarded with ships in WW2, look no further than the Regia Nautica. Like I said, beautiful ships, terrible crews. :italy:

(And Japanese Damage Control)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wow, stock Bogue is basically pain-town for quite a while isn't it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Think I'll sell my Langely and go back to trying to grind through IJN BBs. CVs just aren't fun for me to play.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Michi88 posted:

Pretty much this.
Also, just when i think i've seen it all, pubs surprise me, i was lit on fire by a friendly by 3 times while he was trying to kill the low hp bb dueling me.

I saw a friendly Minekaze get cleaned up by our carrier earlier. How? Well, our dipshit carrier got the idea in his head that he would torpedo bomb the enemy DD that was capping the central zone of New Dawn. Using auto-drop.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you want pants on head retarded with ships in WW2, look no further than the Regia Nautica. Like I said, beautiful ships, terrible crews. :italy:

(And Japanese Damage Control)

I dont think it can beat the William D. Porter.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why does the Nicholas LOSE guns when you upgrade the hull? :(

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Ahaha, that stream. "They're all missing! I honestly don't get it!" he says, as he fires at a Pensacola with the exact same accuracy-nerfing camo his own ship has. Jesus.

Also, the part where he says he knows he can pen a NM? Let me tell you about the NM I met yesterday in my Warspite. We were within dick-punching range, so close I had to circle out a little to depress my guns to the waterline, and I could not pen his belt. No spalling, nothing. Zero loving damage. New Mexico is one tough fucker to pen, even with 15" guns.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dalael posted:

E: On one side of the spectrum, you've got people who think it was the best ship ever. On the other side, you have others who think it was a completely lovely ship. I like the middle stance, where it was a good ship for its time, which had a hyper-inflated reputation for sinking a ship, which if you think about it, was what it was designed to do.

Bismarck isn't categorically awful, on an equal playing field it's an adequate battleship for what it's supposed to do. It's a lot heavier than its nearest rivals though, and according to something someone posted a while back the Kriegsmarine naval architects were severely inexperienced (which is kind of apparent).
All I meant in the post I quoted is that I don't think it's an especially good looking ship. You want Scharnhorst or Prinz Eugen for a cool looking Nazi boat.

But really sinking Hood isn't much of an achievement, Prinz Eugen probably could have done that. And Bismarck ended up losing all its guns in half an hour against a ship from 1925.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
How do you access the depot in this game? I assume you can sell off equipment like unequiped hulls and stuff right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

James Garfield posted:

I don't think it's an especially good looking ship. You want Scharnhorst or Prinz Eugen for a cool looking Nazi boat.

But Prinz Eugen looks so much like a slightly smaller Bismarck that the Hood originally fired on it instead of the Bismarck. :v:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Tier 3 platooned with a tier 8, I did the only responsible thing :commissar:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

James Garfield posted:

Bismarck isn't categorically awful, on an equal playing field it's an adequate battleship for what it's supposed to do. It's a lot heavier than its nearest rivals though, and according to something someone posted a while back the Kriegsmarine naval architects were severely inexperienced (which is kind of apparent).
All I meant in the post I quoted is that I don't think it's an especially good looking ship. You want Scharnhorst or Prinz Eugen for a cool looking Nazi boat.

But really sinking Hood isn't much of an achievement, Prinz Eugen probably could have done that. And Bismarck ended up losing all its guns in half an hour against a ship from 1925.

Personally I think the Bismarck was an okay looking ship, however I have a preference for ships with triple mounted guns. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that it lost its guns under half an hour. Bismarck beat back the Hood (Lets be clear, it was a well placed but ultimately lucky shot) and Prince of Wales, and then was assaulted 2 days later by a small fleet + torpedo planes. Its guns may have been knocked out at one point, but that was most likely resulting from heavy damage inflicted while being completely outnumbered.

"Bismarck posted:

The four British ships fired more than 2,800 shells at Bismarck, and scored more than 400 hits

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

cheese posted:

Tier 3 platooned with a tier 8, I did the only responsible thing :commissar:

If this was WoT I would completely agree with you. However, I find that in WoWs the difference does not matter all that much. A tier 3 ship can inflict severe damage on a tier 8 and possibly even come out on top depending on the circumstances.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Dalael posted:

If this was WoT I would completely agree with you. However, I find that in WoWs the difference does not matter all that much. A tier 3 ship can inflict severe damage on a tier 8 and possibly even come out on top depending on the circumstances.
Differences don't matter that much to a degree, in that I feel like I can take on a ship +2 or even 3. But a St Louis in a match with tier X and IX ships is a total joke a loving waste of space.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But Prinz Eugen looks so much like a slightly smaller Bismarck that the Hood originally fired on it instead of the Bismarck. :v:

Prinz Eugen gets bonus points for the channel dash camouflage :v:

Dalael posted:

Personally I think the Bismarck was an okay looking ship, however I have a preference for ships with triple mounted guns. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say that it lost its guns under half an hour. Bismarck beat back the Hood (Lets be clear, it was a well placed but ultimately lucky shot) and Prince of Wales, and then was assaulted 2 days later by a small fleet + torpedo planes. Its guns may have been knocked out at one point, but that was most likely resulting from heavy damage inflicted while being completely outnumbered.

Rodney disabled all its guns, King George V's guns weren't working properly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes, I really hate the Time Limit. I went back to cover our CVs in my Wyoming, wasted an Atlanta and a Cleveland, shotgunned a Minekaze, cleared the cap point and saved us a loss. There were only 3 enemy BBs left with no air cover, we had 2 Japanese CVs, but by that point there were only 2 minutes left and we drew.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Its guns may have been knocked out at one point, but that was most likely resulting from heavy damage inflicted while being completely outnumbered.

Actually, it was mostly result of a bad design - exposed electrical wiring and design flaw that caused stern to collapse onto the rudders and screws. Bismarck was a bad design, overweight and with obsolete armor scheme and it once got extremely lucky with blowing up Hood, an obsolete WWI-vintage battlecruiser that wasn't properly modernized because RN needed it to show the flag over the world. Its european counterparts (Richelieus, Littorios and KGVs) were more capable ships on less displacement.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Artificer posted:

Why does the Nicholas LOSE guns when you upgrade the hull? :(

On your way up, you'll find that most of the US destroyers sacrifice a midships turret and replace it with a quad 40mm bofors turret with their hull upgrade, usually the elevated turret towards the stern.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 30, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

rossmum posted:

Ahaha, that stream. "They're all missing! I honestly don't get it!" he says, as he fires at a Pensacola with the exact same accuracy-nerfing camo his own ship has. Jesus.

Also, the part where he says he knows he can pen a NM? Let me tell you about the NM I met yesterday in my Warspite. We were within dick-punching range, so close I had to circle out a little to depress my guns to the waterline, and I could not pen his belt. No spalling, nothing. Zero loving damage. New Mexico is one tough fucker to pen, even with 15" guns.

Yeah, close range poo poo gets weird. Since you're aiming your guns at one spot, you have to also factor in that each shot is taking a different trajectory to the target, as they come from different guns on different sections of your ship. This means that while your crosshairs are dead on, the guns may be firing at an angle that either has the shot deflect or hit at an angle where it can't pen properly. At that point its best to cycle between guns and fire, taking into account which gun would be the next to fire and figuring out the best spot to put the shell so it'll pen.

Yeah, close range stuff is weird as hell. But it is loving FUN when everything clicks and you decimate your enemy.

NTRabbit posted:

On your way up, you'll find that most of the US destroyers sacrifice a midships turret and replace it with a quad 40mm bofors turret with their hull upgrade, usually the elevated turret towards the stern.

Yep. Virtually all DDs after a certain point have later hulls that give up a turret for better AA. In some cases, the lost turret grants up to double your original AA. However, it depends on the hull. Some ships have hulls you can avoid, like the Farragut's Hull B and C, as taking them drops you from 5 to 4 turrets, and all you get is 600 hp and "upgraded" torpedoes that cost you 1km in range (down to 4.5km). Its not really an upgrade, since your AA only hits out to 3km. Others you'll have to take, in order to get the upgrades that matter. I believe one of the Mutsuki's upgrades lose some turrets, but also comes with a gun upgrade that doubles your firing rate, basically nullifying the lost damage. DD AA is always pretty anemic, so its a tradeoff you'll have to consider (and usually pass on, if you can).

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
A friendly pubby drove straight into my torpedoes 9km from the firing point and died from full HP. Then he spent the next 10 minutes bitching about how bad I was at firing torpedoes.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Someone apparently released SEA server average statistics which more or less confirm what was already obvious about ship/class balance (high tier destroyers are weak, Furutaka is straight up worse than Kuma, US carriers are bad, Japanese carriers are horribly overpowered, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

I am having a lot of fun in it too when the MM doesn't poo poo all over it. Seeing destroyers come in close trying to blow you up just to get wrecked by secondaries is amazing fun.

For those of you playing against Warspites, stay 7km or more away from it and never ever go below 5km if you can avoid it.