Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Zoro is pretty good at not being terrible and they don't exclude stuff from the sale they should. Not sure how they don't go out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

Zoro is pretty good at not being terrible and they don't exclude stuff from the sale they should. Not sure how they don't go out of business.

They're part of Grainger, and 90% of their business is large industrial companies who don't care about pricing. Apparently, Grainger decided to start a more-consumer-friendly site, and thus: Zoro.

They've removed a few items that used to be amazing deals. My Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 and Honda EU2000i genset are prime examples. I bought both during the famous 40% off Cyber Monday sale... which was (and probably will be) a one-time deal.

Their site sucks, but if you know what you want, you can usually find it. MFR Part numbers work better than anything else. For example, I needed some duckbill pliers. If I search "duckbill", I don't find any other than some awful Westwards. However, if I know Knipex's part numbers, I can search each one and find these: http://www.zoro.com/knipex-flat-nose-pliers-5-12-in-1-764-in-jaw-20-02-140/i/G6063626/

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Whats the current hotness for shop lights? Brother-in-law asked for two 36"-48" shop lights for his birthday. I thought there was something good recommended in this thread, but I didn't see it when skimming the last 70 pages.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Costco LEDs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
+1 to that, i have 3 in my garage to replace some track lighting (ughhhh) and I will probably get one more eventually.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got 8 of them in my garage and am happy with them. I'll probably get two more when I build a real workbench to have some task lighting.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I have 3 of those Costco LED lights and a fourth I need to hang up. They own.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What do the led lights offer over $15 fluorescent fixtures?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

no buzzing, no dimming in the cold, you can run 40some of them on a single circuit.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

No bulbs to change. Will run for like 40 years straight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Significantly more efficient, too, the lumens per watt is several times that of most fluorescents.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You hit the switch and they are instantly on and you don't have to keep feeding them ballasts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does anybody Maka a bar like that with the light changing stuff like modern light bulbs?

Because oil change rave party sounds awesome

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

Also far less heat output. Our shop can be nice and pleasant on a hot day when you walk in but turn the lights on and uuugh it gets hot.

It's also fairly pleasant in the winter after the lights have been on a while so give and take...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Does the Harbor Freight bearing packer work OK? There are a lot of comments on the HF page about modifying it in different ways.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Any other place besides Costco that would have something similar? I don't have a membership but my shop badly needs upgraded lighting and so does my garage.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
A friend can give you a Costco cash card (well you give them the money, then they load the card) and buy em that way.

Or just go with a friend to the store and buy them a hot dog. It's win win

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sharkytm posted:

They're part of Grainger, and 90% of their business is large industrial companies who don't care about pricing.

Tell me about it; my job spends tens of thousands of dollars a month on supplies from Grainger, ranging from CR123 batteries that are about $9.37 each to bottles of Squincher (basically Gatorade concentrate) that is $14 per quart bottle (you'll note Amazon is selling a case of four 1 gallon bottles for that same price).

Grainger is a bunch of bloodsucking leeches.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HotCanadianChick posted:

Tell me about it; my job spends tens of thousands of dollars a month on supplies from Grainger, ranging from CR123 batteries that are about $9.37 each to bottles of Squincher (basically Gatorade concentrate) that is $14 per quart bottle (you'll note Amazon is selling a case of four 1 gallon bottles for that same price).

Grainger is a bunch of bloodsucking leeches.

I was asked to price check some supplies we order for our company through Uline to see if we could cut some costs, and loving Grainger was over twice as expensive for the exact same goods as Uline on literally everything I looked at. And, they're basically the same kind of business to business company

I just don't get it either.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

God I hate Squincher so much.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The orange flavor is vile

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

God I hate Squincher so much.

If you drink enough of it your poo poo turns bright green.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Does the Harbor Freight bearing packer work OK? There are a lot of comments on the HF page about modifying it in different ways.

Haven't used it, because for only a little more money you can get the Lisle one at Pep Boys, and it's pretty great. v:v:v

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What happened to squirting it your hand and scooping it in as god and lucas intended?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
"Well, long story short: that's why I can't go within 100 feet of a school anymore."
:goonsay:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fknlo posted:

If you drink enough of it your poo poo turns bright green.

StormDrain posted:

What happened to squirting it your hand and scooping it in as god and lucas intended?

I hope that I've got two conversations mixed up here.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

spog posted:

I hope that I've got two conversations mixed up here.

Bearings! Squincher is not a tool so I skimmed past that part.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

StormDrain posted:

That's kinda what I was thinking.

- Put on rubber gloves
- glob of grease in palm
- jam bearing down onto grease until fully penetrated :heysexy:
- repeat as necessary

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Or just go with a friend to the store and buy them a hot dog. It's win win

This is correct.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Reviews seemed to indicate that HF's impact wobble extensions are fine, and that it's just the chromies that are garbage. Anyone had any experience otherwise? I've been meaning to buy their impact wobbles for general use and am curious if anyone's got any firsthand experience.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jared592 posted:

Reviews seemed to indicate that HF's impact wobble extensions are fine, and that it's just the chromies that are garbage. Anyone had any experience otherwise? I've been meaning to buy their impact wobbles for general use and am curious if anyone's got any firsthand experience.
I've got a set of 1/2" ones. They absorb lots of torque, but haven't broken or distorted. These are like 4 years old, which is worth mentioning because they change their suppliers without changing part numbers or telling anyone.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I've got a set of 1/2" ones. They absorb lots of torque, but haven't broken or distorted. These are like 4 years old, which is worth mentioning because they change their suppliers without changing part numbers or telling anyone.

I thought they changed catalog numbers when they changed OEMs for a given product, even if the appearance / specs stayed the same? Example - there are 3 different catalog numbers for the freebie multimeters. I once opened up two of the free meters with different cat numbers and definitely found differences in the electronics between the two. I assumed it was because they changed suppliers.

Anyway, I can verify that the chrome wobble extensions are poo poo. I have a set that I've been meaning to exchange due to breakage but haven't gotten around to it yet.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Haven't used it, because for only a little more money you can get the Lisle one at Pep Boys, and it's pretty great. v:v:v

I used a coupon code at Advanced Auto, got the Lisle bearing packer for cheaper the HF one. It worked great for injecting cherry red grease into the bearings on my Toyota pickup.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Nice! I am a big Lisle fan.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I love any lisle tool I have ever used. My matco impact screwdriver would budge these stuck Honda set screws. I borrowed my bosses lisle and it made those screws its bitch. Also lisle carries most specialty automotive tools and isn't $texas

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

I saw a great deal on the Hitachi Lithium Ion 12v drill / impact driver set I got at Lowes.
I got it over a year ago and even though the 12v tools are not as strong as the 18v ones I love how light they are especially for overhead stuff. Lifetime warranty no receipt required. The detention ball popped out of the driver and I sent it in with no receipt and they fixed it. I have built a deck and done a kitchen remodel down the the subfloor and studs with this set. I bought a second impact driver that came with two batteries for $59 while the other was off being repaired. And I was happy with the $129 price over a year ago it was before the light was included. But for $31.20 this is the cheapest way to get two more batteries. Not that I need them they charge fast and I have 4 batteries and two chargers. gently caress it I am getting another set anyway.

I ordered two of these sets for $55 each, one for my brother in law and one for me. My set had two bad batteries out of the box, but Lowe's swapped them for me for no charge. The other set was perfect. The drill is pretty good for household stuff, and is a lot lighter than my Ryobi 18V stuff. I like the little impact driver. It worked well for deck screws and for turning little bolts with 10 and 12mm heads. Thanks for the heads up.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Any other place besides Costco that would have something similar? I don't have a membership but my shop badly needs upgraded lighting and so does my garage.

~ $15 more on Amazon Prime.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you're getting 6 or more @ +$15, that's more than the price of a Costco membership iirc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Shop presses--is harbor freight the way to go here? Is it also worthwhile to spend an extra hundred bucks and get a 20 ton H frame press vs 12 ton A frame? Or is a bench top 6 ton press good enough for most things?

First thing I need it for is to replace a wheel bearing, and then probably just miscellaneous automotive stuff, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Shop presses--is harbor freight the way to go here? Is it also worthwhile to spend an extra hundred bucks and get a 20 ton H frame press vs 12 ton A frame? Or is a bench top 6 ton press good enough for most things?

First thing I need it for is to replace a wheel bearing, and then probably just miscellaneous automotive stuff, for reference.

My 20 ton HF has been great so far. It's beefy and simple enough that even they couldn't gently caress it up (other than not having the bag of hardware in the first one I bought).

The only lovely part is the jack itself but it seems to be holding up, although I have plans of putting an air over hydraulic one in there eventually.