Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
http://cinemassacre.com/2015/07/28/avgn-seaman-for-dreamcast/
Freelance Astronauts fans will remember this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I agree, having a ghost offer you chips would be annoying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I still vividly remember seeing a construction-site variant of Apaches at school when I was about seven or so (so thirty years ago). It was by a long shot the most horrifying thing I'd ever seen and I had nightmares for days. Of course I would never have gone near a construction site after that so SUCCESS I guess. gently caress.

Aha, it was called Building Sites Bite.

"Although lighter in tone compared to Apaches and The Finishing Line, Ronald is nevertheless buried alive, electrocuted, run over, crushed by piles of bricks, drowned and has his neck broken after falling from a pipe, with lingering close-ups of a disembodied foot, a charred hand and a blood-soaked wall. "

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I read about Building Sites Bite - and it seems to feature the problems of those British PSAs, in that they don't actually teach you an effective way of really dealing with unsafe situations. Because it essentially just makes the kid decide that he'll never work on a building site as an adult ever, crushing his dreams, rather than going "Ok, here are some hazards and here's how to deal with them/avoid them, and children shouldn't go on building sites unaccompanied and maybe wait for this stuff until you're way older and properly trained."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The single best PSA of the past 20 years that I've seen might be a half-hour short film called Cow, produced by the police in Wales, which is about the perils of texting while driving. It's a very graphic production; it does't pull any punches and it's very difficult to watch. But it also goes into something that I think a lot of PSAs just don't have the time to explore; the long-term after-effects, rather than the decisive event itself.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Beefstew posted:

http://cinemassacre.com/2015/07/28/avgn-seaman-for-dreamcast/
Freelance Astronauts fans will remember this one.

Seaman did a lot of things well and it accounted for a lot. FA people got a flirty seaman, James got an existential seaman, OMGJeremy got a Joe Roganesish seaman and a friend of mine played it like a normal person and ended up getting a really kind seaman. (I watched her play it on Twitch, the recording got deleted, but part of her playthru had Seaman become somewhat protective when she told him that she was a lesbian. He didn't come across as condescending, just wishing good luck on potential nonsense irl)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just remembered one of my favorite work safety films, Forklift Driver Klaus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Every country does it different. Canada is silly, UK is horrifying, New Zealand is loving hilarious, and Germany is black comedy.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just remembered one of my favorite work safety films, Forklift Driver Klaus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Every country does it different. Canada is silly

https://youtu.be/MwCyVku1HvI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Okay, I'll grant you the first two. But the ones where they get up after dying to lecture people are just silly.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

As far as legit safety videos go, this will always be my favourite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZSDiEJruI - "Will You Be Here Tomorrow?". Probably directed by some Sierra folks on a day off from making Phantasmagoria, and an even more dangerous workplace than Forklift Driver Klaus.

(Forklift Driver Klaus is brilliant also, although sadly not a legit safety video. The guy who narrated it apparently did a lot of the legit videos though.)

Not all British PSA's are uber-violent. A special mention for Frances the Firefly, a matches-based PSA that was shown on TV for years and years and doesn't feature any dismemberment or anything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZSDiEJruI - narrated by Richard Briers and all! Probably due a revival.

(This one probably isn't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6iynaLC5sY)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

BigRed0427 posted:

Say Lupa, do you have a system for people to recommend you movies for Movie Nights?

People just suggest stuff wherever, usually if it's a popular request or it looks particularly hilarious I'll check it out. If you've got a suggestion feel free to shoot it my way here.

I'm in this one! But I also just highly recommend watching this, as usual. Love Tequila and Bonetti.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Moviebob throws another tantrum, this time it's about Terminator.

He also seems to think nobody saw this film because it only doubled its budget. Apparently Fury Road was such an amazing success in comparison, earning, I dunno, about 60 million more maybe?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also seems to think nobody saw this film because it only doubled its budget. Apparently Fury Road was such an amazing success in comparison, earning, I dunno, about 60 million more maybe?

That was a weird review, much more polemic than his usual stuff. I have a feeling he wants to retain any new watchers he got from his Pixels review, hence all the overthrow profanity.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
For grade ten planning class, we walked over to a movie theatre to watch a quick documentary on 4 teenagers who've gotten in terrible workplace accidents. The most horrifying one was the kid who got his leg caught on the pulley for a saw mill thing and slowly got it eaten away bit by bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMT5OFw5OCQ

There was another one that apparently aired on children's channels in 2007.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFCekWiUGE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The building site one was over the top, but having said that, there was a PSA that aired a while back here in the UK about the importance of seatbelts in the back seat. It had a teenager in the back who when the car stopped suddenly, changed into an elephant charging through the front seat. I remember the mother slumping back lifeless, the teen sitting bewildered with a bloody nose, and the little sister in the passenger seat screaming. It's left quite an impression and I always fasten my seatbelt in the back seat now.

This is my favourite PSA though :3: ...someone should do a series on these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I assume everyone's seen Gabelstapler Klaus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BAiJIaezc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hbomberguy posted:

I assume everyone's seen Gabelstapler Klaus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BAiJIaezc

Got it up above, in proper english subtitles.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe he should just review movies he can't be a fanboy partisan over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HopperUK posted:

Wiki sez they tried a follow-up in the same style but it wasn't very successful.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Kunster posted:

Seaman did a lot of things well and it accounted for a lot. FA people got a flirty seaman, James got an existential seaman, OMGJeremy got a Joe Roganesish seaman and a friend of mine played it like a normal person and ended up getting a really kind seaman. (I watched her play it on Twitch, the recording got deleted, but part of her playthru had Seaman become somewhat protective when she told him that she was a lesbian. He didn't come across as condescending, just wishing good luck on potential nonsense irl)
"Is Seaman coming on to me?"

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
We have graphic PSAs on occasion in the States, but they're generally targeted at teenagers and adults. The "Red Asphalt" driver's safety series is an example. They're going out of fashion, though. The most terrifying film I had to watch in school was of childbirth.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

HopperUK posted:

The building site one was over the top, but having said that, there was a PSA that aired a while back here in the UK about the importance of seatbelts in the back seat. It had a teenager in the back who when the car stopped suddenly, changed into an elephant charging through the front seat. I remember the mother slumping back lifeless, the teen sitting bewildered with a bloody nose, and the little sister in the passenger seat screaming. It's left quite an impression and I always fasten my seatbelt in the back seat now.

They did an episode of The Gruen Transfer, which is an Australian show about advertising, which focussed on road safety ads. (The episode also has a pretty famous fake ad about us invading New Zealand.)
Speaking of non-graphic PSAs, here's one of the ones they talked about in the episode.

One tends to associate violent PSAs with learning a trade, or working in a labouring or trade job. However I'm currently learning a trade and so far I haven't had to watch a single violent PSA, even though I'm sure they could have made some great ones about running one of these off the end of the table, or getting your hair caught in a sewing machine. Instead we just get OH&S lessons and instructions and quizzes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

People just suggest stuff wherever, usually if it's a popular request or it looks particularly hilarious I'll check it out. If you've got a suggestion feel free to shoot it my way here.

Cool, since you don't have PMs here i'll post it here.

I present End Game starring Pro Wrestler Kurt Angle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZUz9JsU0g

End Game posted:

Vicious criminal Brad Mayfield (WWE star Kurt Angle) takes pleasure in kidnapping, assault and deranged murder, and it's up to Officer Dan Burk to stop his lust for blood. The stakes of the game quickly rise when Burk becomes romantically involved with a beautiful woman who happens to be Mayfield's next victim. When Burk's girlfriend and his daughter are kidnapped, the case turns into a race against time to save his family.

I found it on Netflix years ago. This thing is like a checklist of bad movie making. lovely digital video, bland line delivery, shots that go on for way to long and blue filtered day for night shots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Last one, I promise - this is one that made a really big impression on me when I was younger; I believe it was actually exclusive to Northern Ireland, it's one of those ones where I changed the channel whenever it came on, because I couldn't stand watching it: "Could you live with the shame?"

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

e X posted:

That was a weird review, much more polemic than his usual stuff. I have a feeling he wants to retain any new watchers he got from his Pixels review, hence all the overthrow profanity.

Significantly worse is his claim that Terminator 2 isn't a great movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Significantly worse is his claim that Terminator 2 isn't a great movie.

No because see, Terminator 2 is bad because it makes Arnold a pussy and isn't anything like the grizzled grimy dirty MAN'S MAN 80s action film Terminator version. Which ironically would fall into Bob's own derision for manly man 80s action films whenever he whines that the Expendables beat a movie he liked at the box office.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The original Terminator was more of a horror film anyway. T2 started the franchise being more action oriented.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

BigRed0427 posted:

Cool, since you don't have PMs here i'll post it here.

I present End Game starring Pro Wrestler Kurt Angle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZUz9JsU0g

I found it on Netflix years ago. This thing is like a checklist of bad movie making. lovely digital video, bland line delivery, shots that go on for way to long and blue filtered day for night shots.

Oh wow, looks super cheap! Might be funny, ha ha.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arcsquad12 posted:

No because see, Terminator 2 is bad because it makes Arnold a pussy and isn't anything like the grizzled grimy dirty MAN'S MAN 80s action film Terminator version. Which ironically would fall into Bob's own derision for manly man 80s action films whenever he whines that the Expendables beat a movie he liked at the box office.
You're over thinking this--Moviebob's reason for disliking T2 is because, according to him,"The 90s sucked"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PSAs are good because they teach kids that death is inevitable and can occur at any moment without warning. Which is a important lesson and the cornerstone of our value system.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wish I could remember the name of this one British PSA I saw during class that was basically an hour long movie about the dangers of living on a farm, it had a story and everything, revolving around this kid and his group of friends and they all die while playing hide and seek around farm equipment so by the end he was attending the funerals of like seven of his friends at once. Cause other than that all I've got are the Canadian PSA's and they were already posted.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Infamous Sphere posted:

They did an episode of The Gruen Transfer, which is an Australian show about advertising, which focussed on road safety ads. (The episode also has a pretty famous fake ad about us invading New Zealand.)
Speaking of non-graphic PSAs, here's one of the ones they talked about in the episode.

One tends to associate violent PSAs with learning a trade, or working in a labouring or trade job. However I'm currently learning a trade and so far I haven't had to watch a single violent PSA, even though I'm sure they could have made some great ones about running one of these off the end of the table, or getting your hair caught in a sewing machine. Instead we just get OH&S lessons and instructions and quizzes.

Everyone should take this post as a recommendation to check out Gruen Transfer & Gruen Planet. They're generally really funny and really interesting to watch how advertisers tick.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

Everyone should take this post as a recommendation to check out Gruen Transfer & Gruen Planet. They're generally really funny and really interesting to watch how advertisers tick.

It IS a very funny and interesting show - although I can't help thinking that Wil Anderson is trying really hard to be Adam Hills but with more dick jokes. That said, I love Todd Sampson.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wish I could remember the name of this one British PSA I saw during class that was basically an hour long movie about the dangers of living on a farm, it had a story and everything, revolving around this kid and his group of friends and they all die while playing hide and seek around farm equipment so by the end he was attending the funerals of like seven of his friends at once. Cause other than that all I've got are the Canadian PSA's and they were already posted.

We've literally talked about that PSA for 3 pages.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

The original Terminator was more of a horror film anyway. T2 started the franchise being more action oriented.

This is really a key point, and it's a shame the series never tried to capture the "horror' element again like they did with the first. It's not too bad, though, since I'd say that Terminator is simply more a sci-fi movie than anything else, although it sacrifices exploring the idea of a robot-controlled violent society with time travel technology in favor of emphasizing the horror of a highly advanced, inhuman but human-like entity hunting you down. It's probably a good sacrifice, though, and I'd like to see a Terminator movie that just plays on the basic concept--a machine disguised as a man, with a murderous agenda and incredible physical resilliance.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

The man is such a hypocrite sometimes I honestly wonder if he even notices it. He says/thinks/does things which he derides other people for. He'll retweet something about people need to hate other people less on the internet, but then jumps into a tirade against "Call of Duty Xbox bros" ruining gaming. :psyduck:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Miss Wallace posted:

Oh wow, looks super cheap! Might be funny, ha ha.

I've watched that movie so many times I have pet theories about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Archer666 posted:

The man is such a hypocrite sometimes I honestly wonder if he even notices it. He says/thinks/does things which he derides other people for. He'll retweet something about people need to hate other people less on the internet, but then jumps into a tirade against "Call of Duty Xbox bros" ruining gaming. :psyduck:

He did try to argue that Halo was a front for fascism once.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's really weird to me to be so defined by your nostalgia.

Like, I have fond memories of stuff from my childhood too, but come on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's really weird to me to be so defined by your nostalgia.

Like, I have fond memories of stuff from my childhood too, but come on.

I think this is relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think this is relevant.

Have to admit that's a better video than what I expected that link to be.

• Locked thread