Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

What do I need to go to as a beastmaster to get float in world one?

North Mountain. Gaelicats. You can use !Control and Float the whole party in one swoop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In Mobile at least, they don't have mana for it, so remember an ether

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
How many licks does it take to get to the berserk of a Wonder Wand?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

OzFactor posted:

Always one fewer than you think. :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

quote:

[21:18:42] <~Kyrosiris> .wonderwand
[21:18:43] <@CarbyBot> Cure, Poisona, Silence, Protect, Mini, Cura, Raise, Confuse, Blink, Shell, Esuna, Curaga, Reflect, Berserk, Arise, Holy, Dispel...
[21:18:43] <@CarbyBot> Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Poison, Sleep, Toad, Fira, Blizzara, Thundara, Drain, Break, Bio, Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Flare, Death, Osmose, repeat!

e: "let's ask carbybot!" lacks the same sarcastic pithyness of "ask mister owl".

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

e: "let's ask carbybot!" lacks the same sarcastic pithyness of "ask mister owl".

I wish there was a version of carbybot for those of us that don't use IRC.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Run #4, Triple Crown #2

Random: Black Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Thief

This team was a lot of fun for just steamrolling over everything. Highlights include: Bahamut not getting a turn, DESTROYING world 3, getting the chicken knife at only 87 power due to actually fighting things (I've had it maxed or near maxed the past 3 runs,) and having break stick on the Almagest part of NED (My party can't survive an Almagest.)

Since I hate myself I think I'll do another chaos run for run #5.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I really need to work on getting through run 7. I was hoping to hit double digits in the number of runs done, but I've been really slow over the last two or three. I've got about a month to get 3 1/2 runs cranked out, so I decided to make some progress and went from start of world 2 to Bal Castle.

Pictured: The single biggest reason I was so pissed about never getting Time Mage through 13 runs in 2 years (well, 14; I had to JF to get it for this one). Get the gently caress IN, Time Magic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

I wish there was a version of carbybot for those of us that don't use IRC.

If I was any good at PHP I'd try to make a version for the web but alas.

Most of it is just links to resources (which are in the OP); the biggest things are stuff like the M calculator and reminders about the lamp/wonder wand order, etc.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

stuff like the M calculator

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted it for. I can do that poo poo with a calculator, or even in my head if I could be arsed, but I am a lazy American and I demand that all my simple tasks be done by machines, dagnabbit!

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I wanted to use it once but then I didn't know how to ask it for a list of commands

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Well, got my second triple crown this year.

For Omega I had my sing users equipped with Hermes Sandals and had two maintain Swift Song while the third locked down Omega with Romeo's Ballad, and then let my Black Mage Thundaga it to death (eventually getting my Bard to join in to help speed things up). For Shinryu I resorted to zombies with Reflect Rings and a hiding Bard (only two Reflect Rings to go around, but at least with turbo it only took about 17 minutes). Lastly for NED I just buffed everyones stats to hell and back.

Overall I would say that I enjoyed my Chaos run, but I do kinda wish it would have given me something from a later crystal earlier on so it wouldn't have been just a random run, and also I would enjoy a bit more variety than just the wind and fire crystals, even if Gilgabot wanted me to get an easy win (again).

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 30, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
if my party is Blue, Monk, Ninja, Zerk, what's my play for World 2 Exdeath? I can chuck a million shuriken but he gets pretty angry near the end and wipes me out with AOE spells.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

if my party is Blue, Monk, Ninja, Zerk, what's my play for World 2 Exdeath? I can chuck a million shuriken but he gets pretty angry near the end and wipes me out with AOE spells.

Level 2 Old him and try to get the timing to murder him with Level 5 Death (if you try to run, you should cast L5D after 5-6 "Can't run!" messages). Alternatively, Off-Guard him down and blow him up. White Wind should do more than enough for healing.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I don't have any of those skills tho, except Level 5 death.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Crimson Harvest posted:

You can get them both in the castle: White Wind from Hellraisers (the red bunnies) after you confuse them with the Dancing Dagger, and L2Old and Off-Guard from Magic Dragons.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

Level 2 Old, White Wind, and Off-Guard are all available in Meat Fort.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just finished run #4 with a Random team of Knight, Blue Mage, Ninja, and Thief: Team Harder-Than-I-Thought-But-Still-Pretty-Rad. I thought that Knight-Ninjas and Ninja-Knights would be really cool but it turns out they don't help each other out all that well. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of times where hitting with two swords is better than hitting with one sword two-handed (and there are times when the latter is definitely better).

Shinryuu was easy once I berserked him and got set up with Images, though it took a while. I opted to leave the ninja Chicken Mugging instead of Imaged so he died a lot. I did learn one thing, not sure if this is mobile-specific: When you cast Image, you get two images, and if you cast it again, you stay with two. But if you get hit once and have only one image, then cast Image, you have three! So no, he never hit anyone else.

I tried Omega a couple times but I couldn't think of anything that could hurt him. I can confirm that you cannot break a rod on yourself on mobile. I had a great plan, too, with double-fisting rods and everything. Oh well.

I am going to try a 750 next time, since the only classes I haven't had yet are White Mage, Summoner, and Geomancer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

zolthorg posted:

I wanted to use it once but then I didn't know how to ask it for a list of commands

".help" gives you a list of all its commands, minus ones that were recently added that Kyro hasn't added to the help list, yet.

Really, you'd mostly use Carby for easy to forget stuff, like .wonderwand, .forktower (Magical left, physical right~) and .magiclamp, or for the M calculator. Everything else is mostly fluff or stat dumps.

OzFactor posted:

I am going to try a 750 next time, since the only classes I haven't had yet are White Mage, Summoner, and Geomancer.

Enjoy your Blue/Red/Bard/Dancer run. :downs:

(I don't know why, but Gilgy has seemed really spiteful this year.)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 30, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
:swoon: Beastmaster! :swoon:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So, can I assume that despite having Hastega, the best accessory is still Hermes Sandals for status immunity? Especially given that Ribbon doesn't block any of the ailments that the sandals do.

What really makes me sad is that Hastega makes Reflect Rings impractical to use as well. Which sucks because I could use them to bounce Black Magics everywhere if not for that. :eng99:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

So, can I assume that despite having Hastega, the best accessory is still Hermes Sandals for status immunity?

Correct. Plus they give you pseudo dispel immunity, at least to Haste.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This party was hilarious for Neo Exdeath. And the rest of the game too.

I'll maybe go back for Shin but don't feel like bothering with Omega.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Let's see, no heavy armor wearers in my team, no Blue Mage for Excalipur Goblin Punches... huh, I actually have no reason to fight Gilgamesh in Exdeath's Castle for once.

*realizes this immediately after fighting him and wonders if he should just reset to avoid later fights and Gilgadeath*

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I'm finally getting started up, and I'm trying to run the fiesta mod. I have the .ups file in the same folder as the rom, with the same name, and I'm using VGA-M with the auto apply poo poo enabled. Nothing. No jobs unlocked or anything. I plan on freelancing to the wind crystal, as maybe it's unlocked there, but I'm probably missing something.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You'll have to apply the patch with an additional piece of software. Tsukuyomi (mentioned in the changelog link for the balance mod) worked just fine for me.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

NGDBSS posted:

You'll have to apply the patch with an additional piece of software. Tsukuyomi (mentioned in the changelog link for the balance mod) worked just fine for me.

I never did get any of the extra files when I downloaded the fiesta mod. All I got was the .ups file. Hell if I know why. :shrug:

Hopefully this does it for me too. I'll have to try it out when I'm done pummeling Melusine.

EDIT: It does! And unlike the Unlock All Jobs Gameshark code I had been using, this one doesn't unlock Mime and the Advance jobs too (which is good because it was kind of weird seeing 6 straight standard Galuf sprites on the bottom of his job list). Thanks for that info and link.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 31, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hmm, wonder if it's worth it to go to Phoenix Tower to steal a Rainbow Dress for better Chicken Knife Dancing. Sure, I get a free one in the Rift, but that means either doing most of the non-Rift dungeons with a gimped !Dance, or doing most of the Rift early without the benefit of Flare and Meteor.

gently caress it, I can go try a few battles and see if I nab it.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
This is probably been asked a bunch of times before, but where do i get mixing ingredients in World 3?
I know Exdeath Souls drop Dark Matter and I can kill them easily, but where can I get Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Turtle Shells are dropped by those Grass Tortoises on a spot on the world map just a bit south of where Tycoon Castle was. Go past the mountains and a small forest and they'll be on a narrow strip of land.

Dragon Fangs are still best farmed from Dragon Zombies in Drakenvale.

Anyway, I still really love how helpful Return can be as a spell. Going for a rare steal but got the common instead? Return. Got Back Attacked and half your team slaughtered? Return. Magic Pots getting greedy with your drat Elixirs? Return until they only take 1.

Time Mage, where have you been all my Fiestas?

EDIT: Huh, Magic Pots cast a Mute effect? Shows what I know. Bah.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 31, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Need some more blue magic advice. I want to get Mighty Guard but ofc I don't have a beastmaster or any real casters. Is my best bet to go in equipped with coral rings and just hit the stingray with the dancing dagger, like I did against Hellraiser for White Wind?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Need some more blue magic advice. I want to get Mighty Guard but ofc I don't have a beastmaster or any real casters. Is my best bet to go in equipped with coral rings and just hit the stingray with the dancing dagger, like I did against Hellraiser for White Wind?

If you've got a Chemist, there's a Mix that inflicts confusion, and of course there's Bard's Alluring Air song. Other than that, yep, you're stuck with Dancing Dagger confusion. Dunno if the Coral Rings will be strictly necessary though, I don't recall Stingray ever hitting that hard, or at least not hard enough that you can't White Wind off his damage.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Crimson Harvest posted:

You don't need coral rings for stingray, he'll only use tidal wave when he's confused and thus will only hit himself.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Oh, wow. I think I just overflowed Bartz's attack damage. Ran as many turns of all four Bard buff songs as possible, then tried a Chicken Knife !Dance. It dealt about 1400 damage.

I'll have to retry that battle once I manage to stop laughing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Run #7 / Triple Crown #5 done! Team 750: Black Mage / Time Mage / Bard / Dancer

This one was fun and I'm totally glad I Job Fair'd for the first two (having replaced Blue Mage because I had gotten it way too much, and Summoner because I had never gotten Time). Levels got rather high this time because simply put I've done my low-level time and wasn't above a little combined exp+ABP grinding. I'm quite fond of the "gently caress It" way of playing.

As for the superbosses, I could have easily Quickleaked them... but decided not to . Only partially because I didn't feel like sitting here all night, but also because I had freakin' Bard for Omega. So I put one person on Swift Song, the other two on Romeo's Ballad, then let Bartz loose with that Chicken Knife of his. Even with Omega's massive defenses, Bartz eventually started Sword Dancing on him for about 5k a hit, so he went down easily enough. Shinryu was a little tougher, given that I could Berserk him (got a few Power Staff drops way back in Exdeath's Castle) but not Blind him or Blink/Golem my own team, so he was putting someone down every turn. I tried to make those deadly turns come up less often, but getting a Slow through that jerk's 95 M.Evade turned out to be just a bit short of impossible.

As for Exdeath? 4 characters buffed to the gills with Hero's Rime, Swift Song, and Mana's Paean (see my previous post for the reason Sinewy Etude didn't make it into the mix this time) didn't even give him a breath. Once my buffing was done, I rushed Treexdeath down from full HP to 0 without him getting a chance to attack in that period. NED bit the dust without ever doing a drat thing.

Anyway, I suppose I'll sleep on what run to do next while I wait for RK to approve my victories. Probably another Chaos run. Or maybe a No750 just to get one on the list.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I laugh. Every. Time. :keke:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #5: Normal - Knight / Berserker / Beastmaster / Chemist

Fifth win and fourth triple crown. When I saw Beastmaster I knew I could do it all, but Chemist just made the whole thing cake. Not much to say other than I do NOT want to do another Brave Blade run again, ever. The Forest of Moore / Meatfort / Pyramid sequence almost broke me.

Four of the five jobs I haven't had yet are 750 jobs, so I think I'll roll that again next time.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Now Lenna just sounds sarcastic all the time and it's great.

:confuoot: Thief/Red/White/Zerk :confuoot:

Guess I'll be going with...

Thief @ Mug w/ Chicken Knife
Red @ White
White @ Dualcast
Zerk @ White w/ Rune Axe

should be fairly easy.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Poque posted:

:confuoot: Thief/Red/White/Zerk :confuoot:

You got hit with Thief for Wind too, huh? I went with No750 for this one. I could check what my other classes are... but where's the fun in that? I generally like to reveal them at the proper time. Unless I'm trying to decide if I should Job Fair something.

Anyway, things will be dicey until I get to Ship Graveyard. And up until Water too, I guess. MUST BUY ALL THE POTIONS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

You got hit with Thief for Wind too, huh? I went with No750 for this one. I could check what my other classes are... but where's the fun in that? I generally like to reveal them at the proper time. Unless I'm trying to decide if I should Job Fair something.

Anyway, things will be dicey until I get to Ship Graveyard. And up until Water too, I guess. MUST BUY ALL THE POTIONS.

I adore thief. It's not terrible for wind either, just potion Siren to death and steal mythril daggers from Y-Burns in Walse Tower.

• Locked thread