Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

threeagainstfour posted:

Thinking of applying to my local police department at the ripe old age of 30. The starting salary is pretty competitive and I'm honestly, sincerely looking for a career where I feel I can make a positive impact on society and my community.

the only impact youre gonna make is your baton against disenfranchised minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

threeagainstfour posted:

Thinking of applying to my local police department at the ripe old age of 30. The starting salary is pretty competitive and I'm honestly, sincerely looking for a career where I feel I can make a positive impact on society and my community.

I have a bachelors in linguistics, am a pretty calm and level headed person. Is this a terrible idea? Am I too old to make the transition into a career as a cop?

Sure why not, I had guys in my academy older than you. As long as you've got a good background you should be fine.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
My dad signed up for a police academy when he was 45, and he was third place in his class overall. He is a cop now. :thumbsup:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Durrr hah ha cops dont make a positive impact. I'm 30 and have never been pulled over but have written 10000 words about cops on the internet.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

None of what you wrote describes a police officer to me

Kill yourself before a police officer loses his job for having to do it for you.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cop gay. So What posted:

Kill yourself before a police officer loses his vacation days for having to do it for you.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

lol

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Spot on

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Vahakyla'd again!!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
sass

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
30 is a good age to be a cop. Now that i'm older I think its dumb for anybody below the age of 25 to be allowed to be a cop.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

how do you feel about minorities?

e: gently caress

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Cop gay. So What posted:

Kill yourself before a police officer loses his job for having to do it for you.

I'm white, affluent and constantly traveling so you can't tell me what to do piggy

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm white, affluent and constantly traveling so you can't tell me what to do piggy

lol

"you can't tell me what to do" gives me a +10 to baton swings

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Thanks for the feedback guys, it was honestly very helpful.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 28, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Oh you're being oppressed? Welcome to the club.

*thunk*

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Carry on then.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That Cincy shooting looks really bad. :stare:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
agreed

rip officer kim

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Bad shoot? From what I've seen, yes.

Murder? I'd be surprised if he's convicted of murder. Now involuntary/negligent manslaughter or something along those lines, yes.

Edit: Dont loving reach into a car, it never ends well.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 29, 2015

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

JayKay posted:

Bad shoot? From what I've seen, yes.

Murder? I'd be surprised if he's convicted of murder. Now involuntary/negligent manslaughter or something along those lines, yes.

That's a less flashy headline though

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I don't think people actually know the threshold you have to meet for "murder" Person A killing Person B does not automatically constitute murder.

This is very likely to be a manslaughter case when it's done.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

It's bullshit that the SA is calling the stop chickenshit. Disregarding the outcome of the stop, no license plate is a valid stop. Just as valid as not signalling, headlight out, etc.

loving just throw out all traffic laws because it's getting to the point where we can't stop a car for anything without someone calling it a "chickenshit" stop.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I don't think people actually know the threshold you have to meet for "murder" Person A killing Person B does not automatically constitute murder.

This is very likely to be a manslaughter case when it's done.

It's one of those word people love to use however they want. Like assault. Or rape.

It diminishes the meaningfulness of the word's intended use and confuses the public. Although the public gets confused by pretty much everything :shrug:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The word "homicide" is also a bad one imo.
-

Cop gay. So What posted:

It's bullshit that the SA is calling the stop chickenshit. Disregarding the outcome of the stop, no license plate is a valid stop. Just as valid as not signalling, headlight out, etc.

loving just throw out all traffic laws because it's getting to the point where we can't stop a car for anything without someone calling it a "chickenshit" stop.

Also this. If the stop is legal, the stop is legal. Calling a valid traffic stop "chickenshit" does nothing but stoke unnecessary flames. Politics :shrug:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The word "homicide" is also a bad one imo

Yep. Every time there's a police shooting and the coroner releases a report stating it was a homicide people are immediately like "I KNEW IT THAT COP IS A MURDERER" :psyduck:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

DrakeriderCa posted:

It's one of those word people love to use however they want. Like assault. Or rape.

SeinfeldLeaving.gif

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Rad Lieutenant posted:

SeinfeldLeaving.gif

To be clear, I'm not talking about the MRA fantasy false rape accusations. I'm talking about people who are offended by something and say "I felt like I was :reddit: raped :reddit:" and diminish the damage that actual rape causes.

I'm no MRA.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cop gay. So What posted:

It's bullshit that the SA is calling the stop chickenshit.

dude sounds like hes really out for blood

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nevermind

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

dude sounds like hes really out for blood reelection.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I'm sorry you think your headlight out is no big deal but your one light bulb away from not seeing poo poo and being dangerous to other drivers. Or... *insert another example of equipment violations that can directly affect other drivers*.

You know it's an election year when the DA cries about equipment violations, they generally love that poo poo because of the auto conviction rate and court fees.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
looks like they are charging the dude with murder.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I bet you'll be wishing that other driver had a front plate when he hits and runs on you and all you got a look at was his empty front bumper.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
If I even thought I was gonna get indicted for murder i'd probably eat my gun. I'm too much of a freebird for prison.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

If I even thought I was gonna get indicted for murder i'd probably eat my gun. I'm too much of a freebird for prison.

Wait, are we still doing r/legalise?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Branis posted:

looks like they are charging the dude with murder.

I'm sure after all the evidence is revealed the courts will rule rightly.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Volume posted:

I'm sure after all the evidence is revealed the courts will rule rightly.

ya i'm sure he will get found quilty and get time served lol

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The word "homicide" is also a bad one imo.
-

Also this. If the stop is legal, the stop is legal. Calling a valid traffic stop "chickenshit" does nothing but stoke unnecessary flames. Politics :shrug:

How much does it factor into the situation that the guy was university police? I'm sort of thinking, why is this guy pulling over a car for a minor moving violation off campus? Are University Police treated as full fledged PD's there? The ones I've seen were more like "campus security"/private security contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Campus PD at my undergrad were/are full-fledged police officers.

• Locked thread