Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

What's "hippy crack"? Nitrous?

Yep

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dog days are over posted:

'Home of the page 3 girl' = Page 3 traditionally has a large picture of a woman with her norks out, because y'know why not
"Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I must admit I did quite enjoy the "We've decided to scrap Page 3... NOT!" thing from earlier in the year. I thought it was funny how it played out.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
And yet I bet most Americans still subconsciously think that Brits are inherently classier and more sophisticated than we are. (This is why y'all are the villains in every Hollywood movie.)

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Anywhere but Grozny is probably better and "classier" than the US

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Kumaton posted:

Oh, wow, I live in that county. I thought nothing cool ever happened here.

You were right! No one cool lives there, either!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

pookel posted:

And yet I bet most Americans still subconsciously think that Brits are inherently classier and more sophisticated than we are. (This is why y'all are the villains in every Hollywood movie.)

There was a study a while back that found Americans tend to think that the British are more intelligent and refined than them. It correlated strongly with exposure to British people: the more they knew the less they believed it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Is that the print version of the onion?

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Reminds me somewhat of my Alma mater's pseudo-newspaper

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Killer robot posted:

There was a study a while back that found Americans tend to think that the British are more intelligent and refined than them. It correlated strongly with exposure to British people: the more they knew the less they believed it.

That was actually one of the causes of the American Revolution- during the French and Indian War, you had thousands of British troops encamped in the colonies. The rank and file were drunken, uneducated slobs picked up from the slums of London and the like, and commanded by aristocratic assholes who disciplined by flogging. The whole thing was such a cultural shock to colonial citizens that they began to stop thinking of themselves as British.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Kavak posted:

That was actually one of the causes of the American Revolution- during the French and Indian War, you had thousands of British troops encamped in the colonies. The rank and file were drunken, uneducated slobs picked up from the slums of London and the like, and commanded by aristocratic assholes who disciplined by flogging. The whole thing was such a cultural shock to colonial citizens that they began to stop thinking of themselves as British.

Thanks to Wellington, who was a big proponent of buying commissions, that didn't change much for a long rear end time. Maybe the flogging, which they probably called floggy-wogg or some poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

Thanks to Wellington, who was a big proponent of buying commissions, that didn't change much for a long rear end time. Maybe the flogging, which they probably called floggy-wogg or some poo poo

I know it's apocryphal but "rum buggery and the lash" really sum things up for the English military. And this is coming from a someone who got all wet in the eyes during the scene in Amistad where the English captain or admiral ordered the slaver fort lit the gently caress up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

Stephen Fry's portrayal of Wellington in Blackadder 3 is probably the most accurate representation we've had. :D

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kavak posted:

It's something to do with the climate I think. We're mostly quiet at home apart from a tendency to think drinking ten pints and starting a fight is a good night out, but as soon as we leave the coastline there's a kind of moral degeneracy that sets in immediately. See: America; Cromwell's adventures in Ireland; stags in Prague; all football supporters between 18 and 45; expats in Spain eating fried breakfasts; the whole Empire thing.

It's a bit embarrassing really, waking up hungover and realising you enslaved and genocided another South Asian territory last night. Blow up the chunnel, blockade all non-commercial shipping and keep us as a zoo for the tourists. It'd be a kindness really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

darkwasthenight posted:

Blow up the chunnel, blockade all non-commercial shipping and keep us as a zoo for the tourists. It'd be a kindness really.

Nigel Farage goes Full Breitbart.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqD_1TFhJdw
:monocle:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that's his name you loving racist

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shCFFUXaUzM

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Man with zipper down to cops: ‘There is no doubt that I am impaired’
A "Florida" Man strikes again doing more amazing things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some pretty, erm, interesting pictures in this article.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

drgnwr1 posted:

Man with zipper down to cops: ‘There is no doubt that I am impaired’
A "Florida" Man strikes again doing more amazing things.

quote:

started speeding in reverse, which is the opposite of forward

ooooookay?

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Westie posted:

ooooookay?

Some top notch writing in the article.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Man breaks tooth on over-crisped rasher, sues

quote:

A MAN who broke a tooth after he ate a rasher he described as being “hard like a brick” from a Swords restaurant has been awarded €4,250 at a civil sitting of Swords District Court.

Judge Patricia McNamara said she was satisfied to find for the plaintiff, Shane McQuillan (32), as there was no proof in court from the restaurant that the food had been changed every 90 minutes.

However, she said Mr McQuillan was “guilty of contributory negligence” as he “should have been careful of a crispy rasher rind”. She initially awarded €6,500 in general damages and €2,500 in special damages.

But, as she held McQuillan 50pc guilty of contributory negligence, she halved the damages to €4,250 and ordered the defendant pay his legal costs.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
East Texas Man Shot After Bullet Ricochets Off Armadillo

quote:

The Cass County Sheriff’s Department is investigating “a possible accidental shooting that happened just before 3 a.m., Thursday in the 27,000 block of Highway 77. The man involved told deputies he was shooting at an armadillo and the bullet ricocheted and hit him in the head,” according to KRTE. Cass County is located just south of Texarkana.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I swear I read about another incident like that within the past 6 months. People just love to shoot at one of the few naturally armored animals, I guess.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I saw the word "rasher" and without ever having heard it before or even knowing what it was, I knew it must be British.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I saw the word "rasher" and without ever having heard it before or even knowing what it was, I knew it must be British.

Wait, so it's bacon? Insert joke about Brits having lovely teeth here.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Das Boo posted:

You don't use the word "rasher" ? Then what do you call a rasher of bacon ?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Istari posted:

Just called a "strip" in the US.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I swear I read about another incident like that within the past 6 months. People just love to shoot at one of the few naturally armored animals, I guess.

Happens a couple times a year in Texas. I swear I'm not joking. Once the bullet ricocheted and hit a mother in law.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That sounds like a cover-up for attempted murder, honestly.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The preferable nomenclature in the US is "Bacon me, BITCH!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Istari posted:

Google tells me we evidently only eat "streaky" bacon in the US. But yeah, what Killer robot said about calling them "strips."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I always thought "rasher" meant the whole package of bacon, for some reason.

I would just say "a piece of bacon," normally. "Strip" works too.