Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVok1UzBQ9g

Mouse control! It's finally here!
Now we can all live happily ever after and stop clawing at each others' throats when control schemes are brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dackel posted:

The github project for it is here. You can also change anything translatable locally on your client too, at any time, while you're playing.

Okay, if nothing else, their real-time updating is super cool and even more advanced that some of the rapid-prototyping technology I've used in some games in the past, which is still leagues ahead of what most of the industry still insists on doing.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay, if nothing else, their real-time updating is super cool and even more advanced that some of the rapid-prototyping technology I've used in some games in the past, which is still leagues ahead of what most of the industry still insists on doing.

That and their move to steam is pretty insane, in a good way. Just staying hopeful that the game itself will be fun long term.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlenQuagmire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVok1UzBQ9g

Mouse control! It's finally here!
Now we can all live happily ever after and stop clawing at each others' throats when control schemes are brought up.

Ideally they'll let us have a hybrid mode. I'd love to be able to move with keys and shoot with mouse.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Truga posted:

Ideally they'll let us have a hybrid mode. I'd love to be able to move with keys and shoot with mouse.

Seems like aim is tied to the direction you're facing so that won't work, I think.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arzachel posted:

Seems like aim is tied to the direction you're facing so that won't work, I think.

There are skills in the game that allow characters to shoot in one direction while moving in a different direction, so there might be something missing?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

There are skills in the game that allow characters to shoot in one direction while moving in a different direction, so there might be something missing?

Some skills use those targeting circles, but unless you can move them manually, they still use your direction as far as I've seen.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Some skills use those targeting circles, but unless you can move them manually, they still use your direction as far as I've seen.

Archers lock on to a target and may then move slowly while firing (they stay facing their targets direction).

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
The English site is up!
https://treeofsavior.com/

They mistakenly opened beta signups for a short amount of time, then took them down. According to the devs,

TOS Staff posted:

We have fixed it and removed the button. Sorry for the false alarm. But rest assured, we will inform you beforehand when we do have the beta sign ups ready.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Good news.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I was just thinking about this today and how even though I hadn't heard anything lately knew they were (hopefully) still working hard at it. A good sign.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
still hype!

I'm still a little bit in the dark about how the quests are going to be distributed in this game. I can clearly remember imcgames wanting to avoid the old themepark style, but what ended up happening to the "hidden NPC" idea for things like job change quests? Moreover, what's the point? What's the general feel of the quest system as of now?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

still hype!

I'm still a little bit in the dark about how the quests are going to be distributed in this game. I can clearly remember imcgames wanting to avoid the old themepark style, but what ended up happening to the "hidden NPC" idea for things like job change quests? Moreover, what's the point? What's the general feel of the quest system as of now?

Couldn't tell ya, I haven't played the game (obviously) and they said they've worked on the way quests are given since the last beta. Sorry. :shobon:

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
http://tos.nexon.com/events/20150723/index.aspx

CBT 3 is happening in 7 days! I don't know about calling this one a closed beta, since the first thing it says is that "anyone who applies will be accepted". I suppose it's "closed" in the sense that they're wiping the server after the test.
So, if anyone is curious about the game and happens to have a korean nexon account, now would be a good time to apply! Signups are from now until the 28th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf52s_kNDiY

E: included preview video
PVP and card dueling!? :getin:

GlenQuagmire fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 24, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

GlenQuagmire posted:

http://tos.nexon.com/events/20150723/index.aspx

CBT 3 is happening in 7 days! I don't know about calling this one a closed beta, since the first thing it says is that "anyone who applies will be accepted". I suppose it's "closed" in the sense that they're wiping the server after the test.
So, if anyone is curious about the game and happens to have a korean nexon account, now would be a good time to apply! Signups are from now until the 28th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf52s_kNDiY

E: included preview video
PVP and card dueling!? :getin:

Don't you still need a valid Korean ID to register?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

IDs arent as much of an issue as valid phone number. Still if you have a single friend in korea he could hook you up really fast.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Yes, as with all korean games you need a korean identity. But if you have that, it's an "open" closed beta so long as you register before tuesday next.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Silento posted:

I just want you to know that I'm very, very jealous. :gbsmith:

:arghfist:

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
Well, the news we've been waiting for is here. An update that everyone can appreciate. International beta! :getin:

(taken from https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/tree-of-savior-eng-ver-beta-test-schedule/3392)

TOS Staff posted:

Hello.
We are IMCGAMES TOS Team.

We’d like to announce the first Beta Test for Tree of Savior (Eng. ver.)

This test will focus on the basic environment and overall infrastructure inspection for Tree of Savior’s service through STEAM platform.

(*All Dates and Times are based on Eastern Daylight Time)

1. Beta Test Schedule
Monday, August 4, 2015 10:30 PM ~ Monday, August 10, 2015 02:00 AM
Duration : 7 days

2. Service Hours and Client version
24 Hours , Korea 3rd CBT ver

3. Beta Tester Sign Up
No separate sign up procedure will be necessary.
All those who have logged in to the Official Website(treeofsavior.com) at least once until July 30 12:00 AM will automatically be signed up as test candidates.

4. Number of Testers and Selection Process
5,000 testers will be randomly selected from those who have logged in at least once since the Official Website’s renewal (June 25) to July 30 12:00 AM.
Please note that accounts from countries where we already have local publishers, such as Korea, China, etc. will not be selected as testers.

5. Beta Tester Selection and Beta Key Distribution Date
Friday, July 31, 2015
For those selected as Beta Testers, you will receive Beta Keys through e-mail and you will also be able to check the keys in the Official Website.

6. Support for Github Contributors and Fansites
-For Github Contributors, please check the notice in Github page
-For Fansite managers, we will be sending e-mails with separate announcements on Friday, July 31, 2015

We will let you know about more details on Beta Test participation and Beta Key registration through future announcements.

Thank you.

edit: (from github) "If you have contributed at least 100 lines by July 26, you will receive 3 Beta Keys via email regardless of your selection as Tester in the Official Website."

GlenQuagmire fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 27, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The website is already dying.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
hype again!!!

e: I wonder what kinds of throwaway github lines I could get away with mutilating.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2015

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

hype again!!!

e: I wonder what kinds of throwaway github lines I could get away with mutilating.

It's not really that hard. You just scan through lines and go "well this sounds like something google translate would say" and you fix it up to sound better.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

pertinent posted:

It's not really that hard. You just scan through lines and go "well this sounds like something google translate would say" and you fix it up to sound better.

Oh. Is there anything that I should be careful about? I have literally never contributed to GitHub outside of grabbing ZIPs and then being confused about them because they're not compiled code. I can follow a guide to create a pull request, but I wanted to know if there was anything that wasn't obvious.

vvv genuinely curious, timing be damned

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's already July 27th, if you're trying to get in with that. :v:

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Oh. Is there anything that I should be careful about? I have literally never contributed to GitHub outside of grabbing ZIPs and then being confused about them because they're not compiled code. I can follow a guide to create a pull request, but I wanted to know if there was anything that wasn't obvious.

Just check the issues and pull requests page and make sure you're not overlapping what someone else has already done. They used to have an open issue where people would write what they're doing but that seems to be gone, so at least just check any open pull requests before you invest a lot of time.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
I guess it makes sense on some level, not wanting 50,000 people suddenly mobbing down the github page because beta keys. Oh well.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

you can only sign up via google plus or facebook?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Baldbeard posted:

you can only sign up via google plus or facebook?

Seems to be the case right now. I just signed in using Google. We'll see if the RNG favors me in a few days.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm amused by all the people on the official forums who are salty about the beta raffle, from the folks who want the selection criteria changed to favor them specifically, to the folks arguing that testing is going to be impeded by people registering multiple accounts. It's like people still believe that beta tests are for actual testing rather than a marketing gimmick.

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
Initial impressions: Jesus christ, the game is beautiful. Stunning.
As for the questing question that was asked a while back, sometimes the npcs will have some sort of questline going with flags on the minimap, but for the most part, you actually have to explore maps (they have fog of war or whatever it's called nowadays, so you really do have to explore) and talk to npcs individually (who are not actually marked until you talk to them), who then may or may not give you quests. Almost to first class change! I'll keep updating this post as things progress.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GlenQuagmire posted:

Initial impressions: Jesus christ, the game is beautiful. Stunning.
As for the questing question that was asked a while back, sometimes the npcs will have some sort of questline going with flags on the minimap, but for the most part, you actually have to explore maps (they have fog of war or whatever it's called nowadays, so you really do have to explore) and talk to npcs individually (who are not actually marked until you talk to them), who then may or may not give you quests. Almost to first class change! I'll keep updating this post as things progress.

Interesting. That's only one step away from roguelikes (the one step being randomly generated zones).

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I hear there's a beta for STEAM happening soon. I wanna get in on that bad.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Pixelslol posted:

I hear there's a beta for STEAM happening soon. I wanna get in on that bad.

if this is true, i really want to play this beta

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Good luck to all who applied :cheerdoge:

GlenQuagmire
Jan 1, 2005

Pizza Time!
More impressions:
Stamina sucks. I don't see the point, really. Okay, so occasionally you have to smack an orb that randomly appears in the battlefield, otherwise you slow to a crawl. Why even bother, really? It's annoying if you run into an area that has a boss fight and then suddenly realize, gee, I'm out of stamina! Guess that's a game over!

Jump attacks + normal hit. Yeah, it's still here. Mages especially benefit from this, so basically I've been bunny hopping the entire time (pyromancer). I don't know what the devs want to do about this, but it's too much button mashing for what is a clear advantage. They might as well make it so you can walk and fire a normal shot at the same time.

Cooldowns. Yeah, I know it's early in the game. But being only able to effectively use new skills once per minute sucks. It's horrid and makes the game pretty boring if all you can do for the first 10 hours of gameplay is pretty much just normal attacks!

The scenery is beautiful. Breathtaking. You can really see how much love and effort they poured into the art and backgrounds, but the combat right now seems a bit lacking. I realize that when I get super high and have multiple class tiers under my belt there will be more skills than I know what to do with, but early game is such a chore.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

GlenQuagmire posted:

More impressions:

Thanks for these, I'm pretty hyped for this game and any new info is appreciated.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I've been pre'ing my pants over this game ever since someone posted that OST soundcloud link. Its in my top 5 soundtracks and I haven't even played the game.

Maybe if I break a bunch of gear overupgrading on RO the rng god will spare me. I want in.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Please remember to pay your beta-key dues to the thread OP, thanks in advance! :D

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I hope this game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Pretty excited for this, even though it will almost certainly suck and I'll just keep playing PoE and dota instead.

• Locked thread