Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

I couldn't pick just one to quote :allears: I love Steve. And his ???!!! attempts to be Ohtori's friend/lover/???

He's dumb and lazy but adorable (and easy to photograph) and it's pretty awesome others love him too :3:

Cockatiel emotions: ?????, !!!!!!, zzzzz, maybe something like @*^!#!, but how to write the one where they're just sat puffed up all happy and sleepy? Or super flirty?

Dreggon posted:

im lucky they didnt just drag the whole pot off the table (which they are strong enough to do)

loving MAXIMUM MUTTON CHOPS

Dreggon posted:

i gotta go see kakapos/kiwis they are some of my favourites

Kea! There are three at the zoo here and they're one of the best things there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sorry for doublepost, some photos of cage setups (post your own)

Ohtori:

Steve

Inko

The towel is to block off the view from that side of the cage, otherwise he'll just do his weird hanging thing in the front right corner and poo poo all over his food/water/perch. He'll try doing it from the ladder, or the toy in the front middle instead, and just hang there staring. Seems like a habit from his tiny lovely cage. :( The kitchen roll is there for both him to rip up, and distraction to stop him biting hands going into the cage (he'll go for the paper instead). There's a perch in the back right hidden behind the hanging wood thing, you can see the chain of a toy that's draped over it. He pulls the toy over the branch and goes to town on it

He's doing the hammock thing again atm

And two v short videos-Inko saying one version of HEY BABY, another of Steve being made to yawn (how do you gif that stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rZBg9loTI It had to be vertical to hide the camera from him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVolIRxK6E

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Things not great here in the Pookah household; our little old dog Daisy had a sudden seizure/fainting fit on Monday afternoon, got progressively weaker overnight and was put to sleep on Tuesday morning :(

Apart from dealing with my own grief in losing my dear little friend, I was trying to make sure Pookie had some kind of understanding of what had happened. She's known Daisy for her entire life, about half of her talking repertoire is dog noises, so I thought having Daisy simply vanish without explanation would be very bad for her - especially considering her current plucking/chewing problem. So I brought her into the room where Daisy was lying and let her spend a few minutes looking at her. I think she did actually have some understanding of what had happened, I noticed that she stared at her body continuously for long periods - maybe birds are more attuned to noticing signs of life than we are.

She's been barking a good bit yesterday and today, which she usually does when she's either just feeling loud or wondering where the dog is (though I might just be noticing it more that usual,) so I'm wondering has anyone else had to deal with this kind of situation?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion

Cage

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Pookah posted:

Things not great here in the Pookah household; our little old dog Daisy had a sudden seizure/fainting fit on Monday afternoon, got progressively weaker overnight and was put to sleep on Tuesday morning :(

Apart from dealing with my own grief in losing my dear little friend, I was trying to make sure Pookie had some kind of understanding of what had happened. She's known Daisy for her entire life, about half of her talking repertoire is dog noises, so I thought having Daisy simply vanish without explanation would be very bad for her - especially considering her current plucking/chewing problem. So I brought her into the room where Daisy was lying and let her spend a few minutes looking at her. I think she did actually have some understanding of what had happened, I noticed that she stared at her body continuously for long periods - maybe birds are more attuned to noticing signs of life than we are.

She's been barking a good bit yesterday and today, which she usually does when she's either just feeling loud or wondering where the dog is (though I might just be noticing it more that usual,) so I'm wondering has anyone else had to deal with this kind of situation?

Sorry for your loss of daisy. I went through something similar when dr zoidberg passed away in the beginning of June. That kitty was Frys BFF. Fry grumped about for a few days and then was eventually fine.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

So sorry for your loss, Pookah. :(

also, cage, ft. stealth birb

cage, ft. "what do?" birb

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 29, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How often are y'all cleaning cages? I mean like, full on toys out, scrub everything down. I used to do it weekly, but since we moved to a place without a sliding door and balcony I've been.. slacking on it quite a bit honestly :ohdear:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Thanks to this thread, I have learned that Sirocco is not some sort of unusual sexual deviant relative to other parrots. :gonk:
Parrots are rear end in a top hat sex fiends. Actually, come to think of it, all birds are. When you listen to wild birds it seems distinctly less bucolic and Disney-like when you realize they're more or less going "HEY BABY WANNA COME BACK TO MY PLACE?"

Battle Pigeon posted:

He's dumb and lazy but adorable (and easy to photograph) and it's pretty awesome others love him too :3:

Cockatiel emotions: ?????, !!!!!!, zzzzz, maybe something like @*^!#!, but how to write the one where they're just sat puffed up all happy and sleepy? Or super flirty?
Yeah it would be hard to do flirty without being able to show the heart wings and that slicked back crest like a 1950s greaser. Like maybe it's just me anthropomorphizing them but they totally give off this "I'm trying to be charming" vibe even before you know. As for fat and sleepy, I've always thought they should be able to purr, it's like a visible purr. Also, those cages are great, I really like Steve's. Judah's is about the same size but has this dumb half-teardrop shape that makes it a pain to hang things on because they all slide down about 6-7 inches till they hit the crossbars running the other way.

I'm so sorry :smith: I don't ever know what else to say in these situations but I'm so sorry you and your family, Pookie included, lost what seems to have been a good fuckin' dog.

Look at that fat little baby potato.

SaNChEzZ posted:

How often are y'all cleaning cages? I mean like, full on toys out, scrub everything down. I used to do it weekly, but since we moved to a place without a sliding door and balcony I've been.. slacking on it quite a bit honestly :ohdear:
Honestly, for the full-on take it apart clean I do it every couple months. Papers get changed as needed on a daily basis, usually in the same two "quadrants" where Judah sleeps and shits the most. Every week I do a spot clean on it, making sure perches are clean and taking them out to clean if I need to, cleaning up the plastic base and getting anything off the bars if I missed it before. Dishes obviously get cleaned as needed which mostly depends on if he's shat in them because, you know, cockatiels. Poop-water is the coconut water of the cockatiel world.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve being made to yawn (how do you gif that stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVolIRxK6E

I use a handy program called gooncam. It makes creating custom gifs a lot easier.

I'm always up for requests if there's any goon birbs that need giffing.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

I use a handy program called gooncam. It makes creating custom gifs a lot easier.

All of them. All of the birbs.

When Judah is being a little poo poo for no reason (not hormonal, not distressed, just... parrot) I will sometimes rub around his ear holes and make him yawn because he gets so grumbly and irate about it, it's like when you grab a cat's tail and hold onto it or something, just pure impotent irritation :allears:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai posted:

Honestly, for the full-on take it apart clean I do it every couple months. Papers get changed as needed on a daily basis, usually in the same two "quadrants" where Judah sleeps and shits the most. Every week I do a spot clean on it, making sure perches are clean and taking them out to clean if I need to, cleaning up the plastic base and getting anything off the bars if I missed it before. Dishes obviously get cleaned as needed which mostly depends on if he's shat in them because, you know, cockatiels. Poop-water is the coconut water of the cockatiel world.

I clean the tray daily, get most of what I can see as far as veggies and stuff goes with a towel after bedtime, bowls as needed which is multiple times per day usually. As far as taking everything apart and cleaning it with a scrubby brush, it's been too long I think. Thanks for the reply!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Really sorry to hear about Daisy, Pookah. Maybe explaining things to Pookie like she were a small child, if she gets too upset, would help. Who knows how much they really understand.

Exactly the same cage as Steve's, we got it in grey since Inko has black already. That twig ball toy is something I was looking at the other day so that's actually a perfect way to show how large it is. Does the bath not fall off? Also get some more non-dowel perches in there-put a rope perch at the top somewhere and watch her fall asleep on it :3:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Every week or two for Inko since he shits all over the bars and rips up the papers on the floor every night, while changing specific spots every few days due to poo poo build up. Steve every two weeks or so, since he makes tiny convenient shits in like two spots and since I got him a giant fresh food bowl he doesn't drop it all over the floor now. Ohtori... whenever, so really should be more often than we do hah.

Tendai posted:

Yeah it would be hard to do flirty without being able to show the heart wings and that slicked back crest like a 1950s greaser. Like maybe it's just me anthropomorphizing them but they totally give off this "I'm trying to be charming" vibe even before you know. As for fat and sleepy, I've always thought they should be able to purr, it's like a visible purr. Also, those cages are great, I really like Steve's. Judah's is about the same size but has this dumb half-teardrop shape that makes it a pain to hang things on because they all slide down about 6-7 inches till they hit the crossbars running the other way.

Steve's is my favourite, it just looks really nice and even though he never seemed unhappy (or active) in his previous small cage he seems to like the space and different perches to nap on in this one so much more. The floor is better for him to forage on and play with his balls (huehuehue) too.

Mizuti posted:

:3: Is there any way you could make it loop somehow so it's just non-stop ear rubs and doesn't look like there's an end point at all?

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pookah posted:

Sorry to hear, Pookah. Daisy looks like a great companion to have had.

We did go through something like that when we put our Jack Russell down a few years ago. Pearl hadn't grown up with Bella, but she had spent several years with her and they were used to one another's presence. It was very sudden, and we did allow Pearl to touch her beak to Bella before we took her off for a last trip around town. Pearl I think seemed to sense something had happened-- I remember vaguely that she was a little "off" afterwards, maybe a little louder. It passed fairly quickly, though, and she didn't exhibit anxiety, really. I am not sure how much she understands about what happened, though, because she's grown up with people leaving for extended periods-- I couldn't take her to college with me, and now she is living very much apart from my parents, whom she grew up with. All of these transitions she's taken in stride. I do think she remembers Bella-- occasionally when she is going through her sounds she'll roll out "BellaPearl" which she used to say much more frequently when Bella was alive.

I am guessing you're worried about how your grief will affect Pookie, but I think you just have to let yourself feel what you feel-- Pookie will sense it either way, and it's better to take the time now to mourn instead of walling it off. Bella's passing was really tough on my husband (he had had her for just as long as I'd had Pearl at that point), but it was okay for us both to be upset around Pearl, and I think it made their relationship stronger.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Exactly the same cage as Steve's, we got it in grey since Inko has black already. That twig ball toy is something I was looking at the other day so that's actually a perfect way to show how large it is. Does the bath not fall off? Also get some more non-dowel perches in there-put a rope perch at the top somewhere and watch her fall asleep on it :3:

The top perch is a rope one, the one with screw mount.
I actually don't know how well the bath is fastened. Pion never tries to enter it, I think she thinks water will burn her feet off or something. (She always avoids stepping into any sort of water.)

I've also got a half coconut toy and a swing, both are currently hanging from the ceiling in the room, but I switch them in and out once in a while.

I really want to get some good natural branches for the cage, and perhaps something I can mount on the outside to make it easier to land by the doors and climb in/out.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

I replace the paper towels on the bottom of the cages usually once a day, once every other day. Alexis' towels tend to pick up more discarded food bits than poop, as she doesn't like pooping inside her cage unless she must. For her I have the "poop catcher" skirts around her cage lined with paper towels which I can swap out in a few seconds if needed.

Full scrubs of the cages are once a month or so. I tend to put paper towels under the spots they normally poop though, and the better I've gotten at this the more rarely I need to do full scrubs.

When I do a full scrub (I do it in my shower!) I also run all the perches through my dishwasher with no soap but super high temperature water and heat drying, which does the trick every time.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 29, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Battle Pigeon posted:

:3: Is there any way you could make it loop somehow so it's just non-stop ear rubs and doesn't look like there's an end point at all?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Whenever company is coming over or we want to post a picture on the internet. Basically shame.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Whenever company is coming over or we want to post a picture on the internet. Basically shame.

Well, yes. This is one of the reasons I try to have people come over often. Motivates me to clean!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I change the paper every few days, remove the whole bottom for cleaning every week or two, and probably once a month remove the toys and wipe the whole cage down. I just moved, which kinda throws the whole schedule off.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh man I found a shitload of old pictures and documents from years ago hidden like four folders deep on my only non-SSD drive. I had totally forgotten about everything in here.

It included a saddowns version of the derptiel:

(I also found the original derptiel with transparency, I'm going to see about replacing the current one with )

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo I wish I had emoticon-buyin' money. :derpdowns: would be magic.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Auri loves taking showers, in the shower. Alexis is not a fan.

Instead, I put bowls of water on top of her cage...

gotta check the temperature...

such a noble creature

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BZZZT DRILL BIRD ACTIVATED!!!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQf4HUcuZ6k

trapped in an endless loop of Japanese cockatiel videos, send help

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Oliver is much more active lately, less fluffy, more practice getting up and down his perch, and whenever he hears me talk to him he skwawks back :derptiel: . He also loves the sound of the budgie in the other room. May be time soon to try and hand feed, but he doesn't seem to realise anything outside of his bowl is food.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

cupbirb :derptiel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5bdoD24xE

Apparently "derp" is an international language.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this is just great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79T6B4i3Sw

Tendai fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 30, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

God f*g dammit, now me too.

Edit: And my dog.

First 10 seconds are enough to melt a heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EO0Rt3WG6M

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Kenshin posted:

Auri loves taking showers, in the shower. Alexis is not a fan.

Instead, I put bowls of water on top of her cage...

gotta check the temperature...

such a noble creature

Kenshin, is Alexis a Nanday? I've been reading up since I'll be getting one soon but I'd like to hear more about them from someone in the thread. Do they get along with smaller birds?

Also all the cockatiel videos are the best :3:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

change pet island name to General Birdshit

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hello dear bird friends.

Today I was scrolling through the thread with Bitey as usual, and he hopped up on my laptop keyboard to have a look at the screen as he did. As I was looking at this post:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh man I found a shitload of old pictures and documents from years ago hidden like four folders deep on my only non-SSD drive. I had totally forgotten about everything in here.

(I also found the original derptiel with transparency, I'm going to see about replacing the current one with )

He perked up and started staring it. Once I scrolled it down to his eye level, he tried very hard to eat the little :derptiel:! He quickly realised that was not working, so he tried plan B: eating the sad-:derptiel:.

Birb :kimchi:

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Dreggon posted:

That used to be the name of the main forum of the goon bird-themed group in MWO.

I miss roleplaying a sentient bird-man to make nerds angry.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

Kenshin, is Alexis a Nanday? I've been reading up since I'll be getting one soon but I'd like to hear more about them from someone in the thread. Do they get along with smaller birds?

Also all the cockatiel videos are the best :3:

She's a Dusky Conure, which is actually in the same family as Nandays and Suns. :)

Duskies are the quietest of the common Aratingas and are sweet and playful. :) (note that that is relatively quiet, she can still screech quite loudly, she just tends not to).

My veterinarian says she doesn't see them often but any time someone asks her what species of conure they should get she tells them "dusky" because of their temperament. Alexis, along with most of the others in the facebook group I'm on, is very snuggly.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Grraarrgghh posted:

That used to be the name of the main forum of the goon bird-themed group in MWO.

I miss roleplaying a sentient bird-man to make nerds angry.

SQUAWK

Man that brings me back

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Private Hennal was three hours from catching the next chopper out of this hell hole and back to his family.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Monsters like that need a steiner scout party at the least

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tbh my favourite thing about lorikeets is that they always travel with a mate and you can see two birds instead of one

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

tbh my favourite thing about lorikeets is that they always travel with a mate and you can see two birds instead of one

Well they have to have someone they can talk with about OH MY GOD I FOUND SOME FRUIT, DID YOU SEE THE FRUIT? I SAW IT AND I loving ATE IT, IT WAS AMAZING AND OHHHHH MY GOOOOD THERE'S ANOTHER PIECE OF FRUIT, HOLY poo poo, I'M FLIPPING OUT HERE, LET ME JUST EAT THIS FRUIT, HOLY poo poo WAS THAT A FLOWER? I THINK THAT WAS A loving FLOWER, YOU HOLD DOWN THE FORT HERE WHILE I GO INVESTIGATE - OKAY YEAH THIS IS DEFINITELY A loving FLOWER, OH MY GOD THIS IS SO CRAZY

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Chose three of those acrylic foraging toys from a few pages back for the long vet visit coming up, and they arrived today. They all look good-great quality, very solid and no little parts that they'll be able to remove. Something larger like a grey may be able to remove the screw on top of the windmill toy and take the lid off, but it might be slightly small for a bird that size. The "seek" toy-the purple one-is bigger than expected and I'm not sure where to put it, since it was intended for Steve. Ohtori found it somewhat scary at first but a nut eventually fixed that. No comment on how easy they are to solve, since they're getting saved, but Ohtori did find out he could turn the top of the windmill toy and it made the nut fall down a bit. Turning the bottom to get something higher up seems like it may take him a bit to twig. Anyway would recommend these toys

Windmill toy. Attaches by two parts at the back, the top lid turns and comes off with the removal of one screw, which doesn't affect anything else so no need to remove the whole toy to refill. Top section is only turned by the lid, bottom turns everything else

"Seek" foraging toy. Scary at first. He tried asking for the nut before giving up and going to get it himself. Comes with shredded coloured paper strips, two or three twig balls, and a lot of colourful wooden blocks which are possibly kind of boring for a smaller bird that can't fit them in its beak. You could block off the bottom windows with cardboard so bird has to chew through to get stuff inside

Treasure chest. Also comes in yellow. Can lock it with either one, or both or the keys.

Bird got tired of having to work for treats and tried a different method

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

SQUAWK

Man that brings me back

I'm pretty sure the term 'shitlord' was coined in MWO goonbirdsquad. I've never laughed so hard in my life "LATER SHITLORD *jenner packed with jumpjets*"

Dreggon posted:

This too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I only just changed it to Heavy Petting! Next time it will be General Birdshit, I promise :sun: