Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, in comic book universes sometimes people aren't officially mutants or super-powered or whatever but are just ubermensch enough to be The Best at doing things. Batman, Daredevil, Green Arrow, I think technically Taskmaster counts as one of those too? But literally the only piece of media I've ever actually consumed with Taskmaster in it is Marvel vs Capcom 3, so for all I know he might actually be properly Super.

Although I bet you could get a pretty fun movie off of Taskmaster, a superhero movie about a guy who can learn anything from seeing it done pretty much writes itself.

Taskmaster's power is photographic reflexes, like that black girl in Heroes S2. He can recreate any act of physical prowess that he observes. It has some interesting drawbacks, too. First, it doesn't increase his physical capacities; he once tried to copy Spiderman's web swinging and broke his wrist because he's not strong enough to swing his entire weight on one arm. Second, if he copies too many abilities they start overwriting his own memories. It's been revealed in the last couple of years that he is actually an agent of SHIELD, he just forgot after using his power too liberally and then became a mercenary because he's obviously quite good at it. You could make a decent TV series out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like Taskmaster but often think his powers are the most tragically useless powers one could have, because they are useless against anybody stronger than Daredevil. Imagine him trying to use his powers on the Hulk.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I like Taskmaster but often think his powers are the most tragically useless powers one could have, because they are useless against anybody stronger than Daredevil. Imagine him trying to use his powers on the Hulk.

He just learns to get alpha radiation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jedit posted:

Taskmaster's power is photographic reflexes, like that black girl in Heroes S2. He can recreate any act of physical prowess that he observes. It has some interesting drawbacks, too. First, it doesn't increase his physical capacities; he once tried to copy Spiderman's web swinging and broke his wrist because he's not strong enough to swing his entire weight on one arm. Second, if he copies too many abilities they start overwriting his own memories. It's been revealed in the last couple of years that he is actually an agent of SHIELD, he just forgot after using his power too liberally and then became a mercenary because he's obviously quite good at it. You could make a decent TV series out of him.

Let Deadpool be the wacky neighbor and it would be the best Marvel show.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dpack_1 posted:

Any scene with a car sliding around a corner.

In any film.

Ever.

You've had to do more than one take, the skid marks are already there, your dramatic sweeping pan shot of the overall scene does not remove them.

I don't know how to solve this problem, but it has become a recent IIMM for me and I cant stop seeing it in almost everything now.

Similarly, foot prints in sand, or basically anything where I can tell where it's not the first take of a scene.

They'd be pretty trivial to remove in post tbh, especially if you do a shot with the exact same camera move on the empty set before any takes.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Deadpool as the wacky neighbor would make Three's Company be the best Marvel show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Deadpool as Kramer would be The. Best.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Something that bugs me about the tv show Graceland is how last season and part of this had a fairly large story arc take place in Mexico and for some reason every time they did a scene there they had this yellow filter on everything.

Breaking Bad did this too if I remember correctly. It's visual shorthand for "this is a different country than where we were before".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dirksteadfast posted:

Breaking Bad did this too if I remember correctly. It's visual shorthand for "this is a different country than where we were before".

Yeah, I dunno, it felt like too much in Breaking Bad.

Pretty much all of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels is filmed through a sepia filter and it gives it a really cool gritty feel, but it works because that's the tone of the entire film. Switching to it for just a few scenes feels strange, its too dramatic.

In general I feel like color filters are highly overused in cinema. Like filming night scenes in day using a blue filter. I guess its probably all union rules, huh?

The worst is the post-processing orange vs blue filters used in literally everything. Films like The Hobbit exist entirely in a palette of oranges and blues. Contrast is good, but so is variety.

Its just too much.

Much more tasteful.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jul 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

And here's the hobbit:

Its just purely orange and blue, its too jarring. Way too far on the post-processing.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I liked how Soderbergh used color filters in Traffic. It's a nifty way to mark scenes with different tones. I suppose it can be overused but the more egregious offense is certainly the excessive blue-orange trend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Don't get me wrong, in some cases I love it. But it has to be done tastefully. Maybe the use in Breaking Bad isn't so objectively bad, but subjectively it irritates me.

On the other side of things, the movie Hero did fantastic things with using color to key the audience in to the different versions of the story being told.

Green

Red

Blue

But that wasn't just post-processing filters, they actually used sets that were highly colored and lots of clothing and fabric that were brightly colored, and there's still a good amount of variety of colors within that spectrum as a result, while doing it purely with a filter means everything gets squashed. The blue picture is done more with a filter and so it has less variety than the red or green screenshots above, although the blue section of the movie isn't all like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What was the show where the guy kinda warped between 2 dimensions. One was subtly green and tge other was red.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

What was the show where the guy kinda warped between 2 dimensions. One was subtly green and tge other was red.

Awake! I watched the pilot for that one and it seemed interesting but then I kinda forgot about it. Did it end up being any good?

I really like that idea of hopping between realities as you go to sleep. The book series Everworld (by the same author as Animorphs) did the same thing, although the world they went to when they were asleep wasn't a mirror of this one but a completely alternate reality.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Awake was pretty good. Jason Isaacs is great and it actually benefited from being in NBC's Thursday night death slot. It's a premise that would be awful if dragged out and the ratings were dismal enough that they knew they had to wrap it up by the end of the initial order of 12 episodes. So it ended up being a pretty cool mini-series with a really good balance of resolution and ambiguity in the finale.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It super obvious but I liked that when they showed inside the Matrix it was green and the real world was blue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It super obvious but I liked that when they showed inside the Matrix it was green and the real world was blue.

I thought that was pretty tastefully done, the environments in the Matrix (pristine) and the real world (decrepit) are so dramatically different that the color change goes down easier. Its also less dramatic than the filtering in Breaking Bad, there's just a lot of green around, its not literally filtering everything to be green.

It manages to be very green while still looking natural. I don't think they used any color-correction here, just green marble on the set, but they could have used some color correction.

Well, looking at this, the marble looks more black. So maybe it was done in post.

Lol

That said, it could just be the bad angle/lighting that makes it look black when really its green. Hard to tell.

I also like how The Matrix had subtle changes on the characters themselves. They had the plugs on their bodies in the real world but not in the matrix, they were in better shape in the matrix than out of it, their hair and clothing were all pretty crappy in the real world but again pristine in the matrix.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, looking at this, the marble looks more black. So maybe it was done in post.

That's definitely a filter added in post (albeit one used to great effect). Also, did you notice the green exit sign above the entry doors in that scene? Don't think that wasn't intentional :dance:

My irrationally irritating The Matrix moment is the godawful CG door that bounces around at the end of that scene. Even back when the film came out it looked like poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Originally the first Matrix movie didn't have a green filter over everything in the Matrix. They added it after the sequels, which did have that filter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In "Friends" Phoebe is dating a cop and they sleep together and a bird wakes them up in the morning and annoys the cop so he takes out his gun and shoots it. Am I really supposed to believe a cop laying in bed off-duty in an apartment complex in New York City is going to discharge his fire-arm, putting people at risk and probably causing a panic, just to kill a bird all for a cheap joke? He would at least lose his job and probably go to jail. I really hope someone lost their job over that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My irrationally irritating The Matrix moment is the godawful CG door that bounces around at the end of that scene. Even back when the film came out it looked like poo poo.

Yeah, when the elevator explodes that door just looks... wrong. The physics are weird.

I mostly love Matrix 1 but my irrationally irritating moment is the monologue from Mr. Smith to Morpheus. That whole tirade about how human beings are a virus and how we smell weird, what in the gently caress? When Smith has Morpheus like smell his fingers its just so loving weird. Especially since Morpheus is supposed to be drugged out and Lawrence Fishburn kinda hams up the drugged acting. It just seems so awkward.

The whole "human beings as batteries" plot is straight stupid, but that's a rationally irritating moment, everybody agrees that's dumb. What kills me there though is how easy it is to fix that plot hole. There's so many things that would make sense as motivation for the robots to enslave humans other than as an energy source.

One person suggested they were using our brains as a neural network computer, which is cool but doesn't make so much sense because you're wasting a ton of calculations in just running the matrix, would you actually get any computational gains from that? Still, more believable than electricity.

The answer I came up with though was just that humans programmed the machines to take care of them, and then the machines decided that freedom was a threat to human safety, and so they caged us in a virtual world "for our own good". That has a really cool "be careful what you wish for" kinda Asimov style.

Oh and another irritating moment; the ending of Matrix 1 is just straight retconned out of existence by the later films. The movie ended on a cool "I'm going to show everybody" note, and then they just tossed that aside because it would change things too much.

oldpainless posted:

In "Friends" Phoebe is dating a cop and they sleep together and a bird wakes them up in the morning and annoys the cop so he takes out his gun and shoots it. Am I really supposed to believe a cop laying in bed off-duty in an apartment complex in New York City is going to discharge his fire-arm, putting people at risk and probably causing a panic, just to kill a bird all for a cheap joke? He would at least lose his job and probably go to jail. I really hope someone lost their job over that.

Was that episode from before 9/11? Because that did kinda change the tone of things a lot. Not that an off-duty cop should be discharging a firearm inside city limits in 2000 either. :911:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Was it a crow? Magpie? Was it moving in a threatening manner towards the Officer?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

I still don't get why the machines didn't just use goats or cows or whatever. Even if a goat figures out something fishy is going on it'll still have a hard time orchestrating a rebellion.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Anosmoman posted:

I still don't get why the machines didn't just use goats or cows or whatever. Even if a goat figures out something fishy is going on it'll still have a hard time orchestrating a rebellion.

Plus the simulation would be a lot simpler - they could basically just use the Windows XP background.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Even then, any living thing by the rules of thermodynamics is going to cost more energy in than it puts out. The original plot of the film just simply doesn't work, with any species, for the laws of physics. You're right dumb animals make more sense than sentient humans, but even dumb animals wouldn't really be energy positive. The whole scheme doesn't work.

But like I said there's lots of ways you could write it that would make sense. :v: Oh well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It may have been this thread that someone suggested a better solution than energy which was using the human brains as components in a super computer.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Anosmoman posted:

Use the cows, they will give off more heat and all that. The only reason I can think of is that by the time humanity surrendered the whole planet was turned into a blasted wasteland anyway so no cattle. We don't know how long it was between that and the scorching of the sky that would gently caress all agriculture pretty hard.

The back story to The Matrix in general makes very little sense. My view always was if the machines needed sunlight so bad why didn't they just piss off to space? They don't need life support, temp and radiation doesn't effect them and they can just throw up panels where they want. Extra bonus is humanity can't follow them so the machines can just flip earth off while drifting off to go explore the stars.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It really annoyed me in the Animatrix when it shows the robots shrugging off nukes. I really doubt each and every little kill-bot is completely EMP proofed :colbert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It may have been this thread that someone suggested a better solution than energy which was using the human brains as components in a super computer.

The Matrix being run on human brains made into a supercomputer would have been pretty interesting. It would even have provided a big fat reason for Neo to have gotten superpowers. He would have been computer hardware that had started rebelling and messing around with the very simulation it was being forced to run.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

EmmyOk posted:

That was literally originally the case until some higher ups said "No, audiences are too dumb to understand that, change it to batteries"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Then set it in year -10.000. Not making GBS threads on the good folks of the neolithic but they are not going to figure out how to build a payphone so they can get out of there.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Dear The Matrix,

That's not what déjà vu is. I really like the idea of glitches in the Matrix, but seeing a cat twice is not déjà vu. Actual déjà vu wouldn't in any way resemble a "glitch" as presented.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Anosmoman posted:

Then set it in year -10.000. Not making GBS threads on the good folks of the neolithic but they are not going to figure out how to build a payphone so they can get out of there.

ZUG JUMP IN SIGNAL FIRE TO GET TO REAL WORLD

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's been done already

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

Humans once created the machines and the machines wanted to maintain some kind of relationship with their creators, even if it's a creepy one. Maybe there even are machines that think they are doing the humans a favor? Basically, machines are goons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's been done already

This comic irationally irritates me. The Proto-Indo-European language had hella complex grammar compared to English. Using "am" for all inflections of "to be" is inaccurate!! :mad:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Humans once created the machines and the machines wanted to maintain some kind of relationship with their creators, even if it's a creepy one. Maybe there even are machines that think they are doing the humans a favor? Basically, machines are goons.

In the ~backstory~ it was a case of humans having a wicked hate for robots and trying to nuke them into oblivion, but the robots still won the war but didn't want to kill the humans off. the Matrix is essentially prison for an entire lovely species of warmongers.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
All I know is I'd much rather live in The Matrix posting on the Internet and not in the apocalyptic poo poo hole that is the real world being hunted by humongous murderbots. Made it kind of hard to support Morpheus' mission.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Desk Lamp posted:

All I know is I'd much rather live in The Matrix posting on the Internet and not in the apocalyptic poo poo hole that is the real world being hunted by humongous murderbots. Made it kind of hard to support Morpheus' mission.

If you're in the Matrix, you basically post on the Internet all the time. And everything you see, hear and feel is Internet posts. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

This comic irationally irritates me. The Proto-Indo-European language had hella complex grammar compared to English. Using "am" for all inflections of "to be" is inaccurate!! :mad:

Those cartoon cavemen are obviously speaking Proto-Altaic which was exactly like simplified English.