Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Mock-up of my dread: (was lucky enough to find the other Forgefiend leg that had been missing for months)

Bigger legs makes the power fist actually look like a normal size, but are they too big? I must do some sculpting on the shoulder, (I'll greenstuff it in, put a shoulder pad on, when it dries I'll yank it off and install magnets) I could saw off the upper hip portion and scupt a fitted hip below the armor plate.

Dammit, dreadnaughts are so cool, why not give them kickass rules.

Another set of minis that proves that simple doesn't mean boring, love how vibrant those colors look without being neon shades. Those larger bases actually help mitigate the power squatting problem a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd use that Dreadnought as a maulerfiend.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Or a decimator, looks the right size.

The maulerfiend spare legs compliment the aesthetic of the dv dread really well, that's an idea worth stealing.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
or a contemptor would also work

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I handled the AoS models today and while technically they were pretty drat good, astheticalhy they were bleh. It just looks too much like 40k and not fantasy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

LingcodKilla posted:

I handled the AoS models today and while technically they were pretty drat good, astheticalhy they were bleh. It just looks too much like 40k and not fantasy.

at least when they throw out all of the 40k range and bump the scale up to 32mm it will be really easy to kitbash them

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I've cut the hip/thigh part off, they were a bit too large. I may use multiple brass rods instead of greenstuff. I'll definitely peep the Decimator/Contemptor rules, I want a punchy touch robit dude even if it's more expensive as y'all mentioned earlier.

Naturally, I have the Forgefiend bits, could easily magnetize those, too.

The teeny-tiny Dread legs will work perfectly for making an Obliterator model. The Dread legs are so damned tiny but they're much larger than, say, Terminator legs. It's going to look great, I have lots of spare weapon/terminator bits even if I have no idea what to do use for the torso.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Business Gorillas posted:

at least when they throw out all of the 40k range and bump the scale up to 32mm it will be really easy to kitbash them

Actually nope. The chaos guys are chump sized muscle daddies on the bases and the stupid big suits are barely terminator size so no?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'd really like it if there was some concerted effort to balance the rules and armies into something more coherent and fair-minded once 40K gets sigmar'd. I wonder how major tournies like LVO and NoVA will change once GW enacts their dumb blatant cashgrab reboots.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whomever did the cuts for the Dark Vengeance Chaos Chosen is either a genius or a madman. Seriously, why would you ever split a marine's head in two?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Irate Tree posted:

Whomever did the cuts for the Dark Vengeance Chaos Chosen is either a genius or a madman. Seriously, why would you ever split a marine's head in two?

My personal favorite is how the edging on the power first is attached to the dude's shoulderpad via tubes and also comes with the top of the Marine's head attached to said shoulderpad. You'd never believe how well that seam can be hidden.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I am currently kitbashing up a female Archon, I have the Dynamic entry pose down and every thing.

I need some advice on how to greenstuff together a ragged cape, anybody have any tips?

The best thing about this hobby is kit-bashing new models.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Holy poo poo. A teufelshund-sturmpanzer can get a multimelta. This changes everything. :staredog:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Ultramega posted:

I'd really like it if there was some concerted effort to balance the rules and armies into something more coherent and fair-minded once 40K gets sigmar'd. I wonder how major tournies like LVO and NoVA will change once GW enacts their dumb blatant cashgrab reboots.

I think it will be quite an experience once everything gets converted to warscrolls and we're no longer held back by points. A lot of 40k players have had their breath taken away seeing how AOS has been integrated with its startlingly more accessible and balanced rules. I'd say 40k once it's been upgraded and resynergized with top down dynamics it will stand as tall and proud as the marine statue greeting each dawn outside GW HQ, the spokesman of the largest mini game in the world.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor Borris posted:

I think it will be quite an experience once everything gets converted to warscrolls and we're no longer held back by points. A lot of 40k players have had their breath taken away seeing how AOS has been integrated with its startlingly more accessible and balanced rules. I'd say 40k once it's been upgraded and resynergized with top down dynamics it will stand as tall and proud as the marine statue greeting each dawn outside GW HQ, the spokesman of the largest mini game in the world.

Wow, for a second I thought I was on warseer and not the esteemed Something Awful Dot Com forums.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I am currently kitbashing up a female Archon, I have the Dynamic entry pose down and every thing.

I need some advice on how to greenstuff together a ragged cape, anybody have any tips?

The best thing about this hobby is kit-bashing new models.

I haven't personally done it, but I heard laying down cling wrap and trying to make a cape over that works well. Just layout a square of greenstuff and flatten it down over the cling wrap in the shape and width you want, have at it with some dental picks for the holes and ragged edges, trim it a bit, and flex it to create some nice bends in the material to make it interesting to paint. Then let it dry most of the way and work it on the model. Should peel off nicely from the cling wrap.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

I haven't personally done it, but I heard laying down cling wrap and trying to make a cape over that works well. Just layout a square of greenstuff and flatten it down over the cling wrap in the shape and width you want, have at it with some dental picks for the holes and ragged edges, trim it a bit, and flex it to create some nice bends in the material to make it interesting to paint. Then let it dry most of the way and work it on the model. Should peel off nicely from the cling wrap.

Cheers, sounds perfect and I will post the results!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Warp Runners mofucka:

And why can't you just do the Orks as Goffs or something?

Yeah, either Warp Runners or a blue scheme with a white head and accents - that will really make it pop and tie in with the rest of the UM stuff.

With the Orks, either Goffs, like SRM said, or a rusted metal with a few red painted panels. I'd chip the hell out of it like I did with my Epic Orks: The problem with Goffs is that black doesn't pop at that scale - you'd have to really highlight the hell out of it with gray.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wow, for a second I thought I was on warseer and not the esteemed Something Awful Dot Com forums.

Yeah it's going to be a shitshow and what I meant is not necessarily relying on GW for rules but rather using the last edition, in this case 7th, as a kind of framework in order to make a more balanced game more conducive to tournament play. Relying on GW for rules clarification or balance is this most naive and idiot thing I can think one can do. They still haven't clarified the stupidass daemon chariot rules that require you to come to a standstill in order to fire its cannon.

Like, where did it go wrong? I don't want 40K to become hyper-competitive and rules-lawyerish to the point M:tG is. That's a major factor in why I no longer play that anymore because I got tired of being condescended to and getting put in a tense standoff with a 500 lb. man shifting and flicking his cards and licking his lips like a hungry shark while I begin my untap phase. The semi-casual feel of 40K is great for some occasions but basically every type of interactive media that has found unprecedented success in any avenue earned its place because of the scalability factor. That's the precise reason why WoW is/was so popular. You can just fish all day if you want if that makes you happy. Or you can go run a 25 man heroic if you can find 24 other people who have no life.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Blah blah BoLS I know

BoLS posted:

Lots of information has been flowing in regarding the upcoming Horus Heresy boxed game. Here’s the latest:

Horus Heresy Boxed Game

The Game is real, and is already into production.

Ship date is listed as Q4, November, to hit right at the height of the holiday shopping season.

Like “Execution Force” the initial boxed set is a fully standalone game, with no further purchases necessary.

Sprues shown so far confirm posable Mk. IV Maximus armor, marines (in sets of 10 per pair of sprues).

Sprues shown so far confirm 2 command figures with a Power Armor and Cataphractii Terminator models.

This boxed Game will serve as the introductory product to an entire Horus Heresy product line that will become GW’s new “3rd Line”, alongside Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000.

An entire line of plastic kits is coming, that will appear on normal store shelves with Horus Heresy line badging (and 40k as well in some cases)

Ruleswise, the Horus Heresy will be a “40K light” ruleset sitting at the middleground between 40k and Age of Sigmar

Horus Heresy plastic kits will contain both 30K and 40K rules in the box.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/horus-heresy-game-what-we-know.html

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

DrPop posted:

Blah blah BoLS I know

quote:

Ruleswise, the Horus Heresy will be a “40K light” ruleset sitting at the middleground between 40k and Age of Sigmar

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/horus-heresy-game-what-we-know.html

This particular point sounds really bad. I guess, at least 40K Hams get a bit of a heads up as to what their Sigmarred game will look like. :smith:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sir Teabag posted:

This particular point sounds really bad. I guess, at least 40K Hams get a bit of a heads up as to what their Sigmarred game will look like. :smith:

If they keep them separate that's chill I guess, but if it's a dry run for unavoidable Sigmarring that's a bummer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

Yeah it's going to be a shitshow and what I meant is not necessarily relying on GW for rules but rather using the last edition, in this case 7th, as a kind of framework in order to make a more balanced game more conducive to tournament play. Relying on GW for rules clarification or balance is this most naive and idiot thing I can think one can do. They still haven't clarified the stupidass daemon chariot rules that require you to come to a standstill in order to fire its cannon.

New edition let's you shoot from a chariot as if you haven't moved. Makes it sick nasty with an S5 AP3 torrent flamer or D3 S9 AP2 shots hitting on 3s. For 100 points it is not bad, even with being so fragile.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Odd question, Tempestus Scions painted up in Blood Raven colours. Yes or No?
Otherwise I'm going back to the Ultrasmurf suggestion I've gotten elsewhere.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Cooked Auto posted:

Anything that can be done in BR colors should. Definitely yes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Hell yeah, red armor with black edging and cream BDUs would look awesome. A part of me will always want a Blood Ravens army, even though I have enough power armor.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Our club is putting on a 40k GT next April- and you're invited! We don't have a proper webpage up yet, as we're still gauging interest and working with sponsors before we set a ticket price.

If you're FB inclined, the event is located here: The Flying Monkeys GT

I know it's a ways out - but with big cons like Adepticon and LVO filling in calendar slots so far out, we wanted to be sure we were visible.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Our club is putting on a 40k GT next April- and you're invited! We don't have a proper webpage up yet, as we're still gauging interest and working with sponsors before we set a ticket price.

If you're FB inclined, the event is located here: The Flying Monkeys GT

I know it's a ways out - but with big cons like Adepticon and LVO filling in calendar slots so far out, we wanted to be sure we were visible.

Dude. The hogs could go to that I think.

It's less then 12 hours to drive too.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Naramyth posted:

Dude. The hogs could go to that I think.

It's less then 12 hours to drive too.

Being centrally located in Wichita, KS gives us a big pool from which to draw players. Also, relatively cheap airfare through our ridiculous little airport.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Being centrally located in Wichita, KS gives us a big pool from which to draw players. Also, relatively cheap airfare through our ridiculous little airport.

$325 round trip for me for that weekend. That's not bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'd love a 40k warmahordes thing as long as there's actually point values. That's the worst thing about Sigmar.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

If you're within a 12 hour drive, it might be cheaper that route.

If there's enough interest in a Goon Meet for that weekend, we can make time Friday night concurrent with Beerhammer, or a Goon Only Beerhammer event. We can brainstorm something up.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

End of an era :(. Sure you don't have room for it? It'll only take up like two Detolf shelves.

Yeah it's been tough to get to this point. I'm keeping a couple favorite pieces and stuff people gave me. But the rest I'd rather see used than collecting dust on my shelf.

What's really going to be hard is letting my Salamanders go. :smith:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Those 30k rumours have sortof calmed my fears of 40k getting the Sigmor treatment. It sort-of makes sense to have 3 different rulesets, each with increasing complexity.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Because using 30k as a setting for a simplified version of 40k won't be confusing at all with Forge World's own 30k line using tweaked 40k rules.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Because using 30k as a setting for a simplified version of 40k won't be confusing at all with Forge World's own 30k line using tweaked 40k rules.

it will make sense when GW destroys the current 30k setting. god bless

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

it will make sense when GW destroys the current 30k setting. god bless
Inshallah

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Safety Factor posted:

You don't get it, do you? They're sigmaring 30k. Can't have those pesky 30k players not buying them sweet sweet Age of Horus kits!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hra Mormo posted:

You don't get it, do you? They're sigmaring 30k. Can't have those pesky 30k players not buying them sweet sweet Age of Horus kits!
You can have a simplified version of 40k's incredibly cluttered and busy ruleset without going full on Sigmode here. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'll wait and see. Worst case scenario I get some more cool minis to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

SRM posted:

You can have a simplified version of Fantasy's incredibly cluttered and busy ruleset without fully nuking the setting here. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'll wait and see. Worst case scenario I get some more cool minis to paint.

• Locked thread