Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm probably the most die-hard type-0 fan here, but I'd say wait for the winter sale, only because of the most stacked fall line-up in gaming history coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you buy Type-0 like a week before MGSV comes out...smh.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kyrosiris posted:

...gently caress, I'm going to have to buy Type-0 for that Chocobo courier and Moogle wards, aren't I? :negative:

Ewwwwwww, you play DOTA 2. You might as well play Smite while you're at it. LoL and OG Dota a best.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

V-Men posted:

Is there a general consensus on Type-o? Besides being the worst game in the series

I thought the gameplay was pretty fun. It's action-y, where you want to learn the timing of your attacks and the enemy attack patterns. Each enemy has specific times where they become vulnerable to "critical" hits that do huge damage, and exploiting those is really the key to winning. There are, what 13? 14? characters, and they tend to play pretty differently.

I did not like the seemingly arbitrary "time limit" system. Between each main storyline mission, you get so many "hours" of free time. Different things consume these hours, such as having important conversations (2 hours), leaving the academy to do sidequests (6 hours), etc. You can only have one sidequest active at a time, so if there are two sidequests you can activate at the academy but have to leave the school to complete? Screw you, that's at least 12 hours consumed. I guess it's to encourage playing through NG+, since you can't do everything in one playthrough (and apparently there is a lot of important new plot in NG+).

Also, you can only assign so many active skills to a character at a time, but passives were always available (and so very important). However, it was not always clear which category skills fell into, and you didn't want to blow a bunch of skill points on an active skill you're never going to equip.

I found it fun overall, but then got distracted and didn't finish the first playthrough.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

In Training posted:

It took them 5 years or whatever but it seems the PC release will have motion blur options, and Hell yeah!!! More blood! Hardcore!!!

Unlock ludicrous gibs in the .ini file.

V-Men posted:

Is there a general consensus on Type-o? Besides being the worst game in the series

It's an experimental title was built around the PSP's controls and features. This can make or break it for you. There's an emphasis on shorter play sessions, streamlined action gameplay, and cooperative play. It plays differently from most console FF games. Furthermore, the HD port dropped the multiplayer functionality. On Steam, it would be better to wait for a major sale if you're still on the fence about the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're not willing to play Type-0's second branch playthrough, you're missing a lot of the strengths of the game, which is high-level combat. IIRC, you can't get an airship until your second playthrough, which lets you enter the giant tower in the world which has all the post-game bosses like Gilgamesh.

Xavier434 posted:

This blows. I will probably still try it out though eventually.

I don't remember the time limit being a problem at all, definitely remember ending my free time days in advance because there was nothing to do (Since I wasn't interested in small reward sidequests).

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 28, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

I did not like the seemingly arbitrary "time limit" system. Between each main storyline mission, you get so many "hours" of free time. Different things consume these hours, such as having important conversations (2 hours), leaving the academy to do sidequests (6 hours), etc. You can only have one sidequest active at a time, so if there are two sidequests you can activate at the academy but have to leave the school to complete? Screw you, that's at least 12 hours consumed. I guess it's to encourage playing through NG+, since you can't do everything in one playthrough (and apparently there is a lot of important new plot in NG+).

This blows. I will probably still try it out though eventually.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gologle posted:

Ewwwwwww, you play DOTA 2. You might as well play Smite while you're at it. LoL and OG Dota a best.

There is literally 0 reason to play Dota 1 over Dota 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There is literally 0 reason to play Dota 1 over Dota 2

Don't do this. Nothing good ever comes of Mobachat.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Final Fantasy V MOBA

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I already wrote some words about Type-0 earlier in the thread but basically it's a cool weird fun ARPG, and if you're not completely put off by a bit of handheld clunk and a short, dark story you should absolutely give it a go.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gologle posted:

No interest in playing something visually indecipherable (Dota 1) nor supporting a company full of sexist assholes (League). :shrug:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
And yet you play Final Fantasy games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fronz posted:

The Final Fantasy V MOBA

That could be a good game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Job Fiesta MMO

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Final Fantasy Football, make it happen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Seriously though if you preorder FF Type 0 on Steam for some reason and you don't want the DOTA 2 items you can probably sell them on the marketplace for a couple of dollars. Thief 4 had promo items and they're up on the store for like $1.30 these days. Granted FF is pretty popular so you might be able to get $5 for it, probably more in the initial rush of people selling it.

If you're buying it to sell them you might as well just wait for a winter sale

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tae posted:

I'm probably the most die-hard type-0 fan here, but I'd say wait for the winter sale, only because of the most stacked fall line-up in gaming history coming up.

Do you get to pilot magitech or anything in this game? It looks kinda good...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone is going to buy type 0 on steam, sell me your pre-order dota items for $5 and offset some of the cost.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seriously though if you preorder FF Type 0 on Steam for some reason and you don't want the DOTA 2 items you can probably sell them on the marketplace for a couple of dollars. Thief 4 had promo items and they're up on the store for like $1.30 these days. Granted FF is pretty popular so you might be able to get $5 for it, probably more in the initial rush of people selling it.

If you're buying it to sell them you might as well just wait for a winter sale

Yeah and looking over the lifetime of the Thief 4 promo set, it started out at about 8 bux.

It's highly likely that the preorder will be the only way to get them outside of a random drop, so $5 for them sounds like a safe bet.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

If anyone is going to buy type 0 on steam, sell me your pre-order dota items for $5 and offset some of the cost.

Pretty sure the preorders arent even in the game yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Srice posted:

Yeah and looking over the lifetime of the Thief 4 promo set, it started out at about 8 bux.

It's highly likely that the preorder will be the only way to get them outside of a random drop, so $5 for them sounds like a safe bet.

I think the Thief 4 items came out when DOTA2 economy in general had higher priced things but someone will have to correct me. I know I had items that were climbing in value steadily then they did an update to the economy people didn't like and it crashed from like $15 to $5.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think the Thief 4 items came out when DOTA2 economy in general had higher priced things but someone will have to correct me. I know I had items that were climbing in value steadily then they did an update to the economy people didn't like and it crashed from like $15 to $5.

it used to be you could get just about any item as a random drop from simply playing. You could sell them for money.

They still drop but they cannot be sold, only gifted once. The only items you can sell are ones that have been bought from the store for money. Even those items have a several month waiting period before they can be sold

Items generally spike in price the moment they are able to be sold, but immediately start to decline as the buzz falls off.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Fister Roboto posted:

Final Fantasy Football, make it happen.

Believe it or not, American football was the inspiration for FFXII's gambit system.

Al Borland posted:

Do you get to pilot magitech or anything in this game? It looks kinda good...

The enemies have Magitek armor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The MOBA posts are coming from inside the thread ...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

In Training posted:

The MOBA posts are coming from inside the thread ...

Hell it's not even about the MOBA, it's about the weird economy market that Valve set up to facilitate people paying each other money for virtual goods (with Valve happily taking a cut for every transaction, of course.)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
MOBAs are worse than whatever the thread's current worst Final Fantasy is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Finally wrapped up the original FF's PSP version a while ago, was pretty weird having an actually challenging boss or two in the post-game. Got my first and only game over against the hardest version of Chronodia, pretty rude to have a boss hit you for 1200 damage in a game with 999 max HP.

That thing sure looks like an FF boss at the very least. Kraken's clearly not having a good time being squished under everything.

Also that game's version of FF3's boss theme is pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVPZ5EEKsv0

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Of the things I want to hear the least, mobas are one of them. If I wanted moba chat I'd go hang out with the rest of the people with their cerebellum missing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Hell it's not even about the MOBA, it's about the weird economy market that Valve set up to facilitate people paying each other money for virtual goods (with Valve happily taking a cut for every transaction, of course.)

It's a weird but cool subject, in this hat-crazed world.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Valve's economist went on to be the finance minister of Greece and then the EU forced him out which is basically pimp as hell

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valve's economist went on to be the finance minister of Greece and then the EU forced him out which is basically pimp as hell

greece dropping the euro in favor of a hat based economy?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I wish I could play Dota to win A Greek island

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fauxtool posted:

A country financed entirely by Russian hackers...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Much like Russian League of Legends team the Moscow Five!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine I'm the last person to notice this but I thought the MC from FFXV looked like a guy from a short-lived FF/JRPG parody comic done by the dude who did Buttlord GT and welp he noticed too-

I didn't notice that Noctis' sword had a loving engine on it :psyduck:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I imagine I'm the last person to notice this but I thought the MC from FFXV looked like a guy from a short-lived FF/JRPG parody comic done by the dude who did Buttlord GT and welp he noticed too-

swordblade > gunblade > motorblade > turbineblade > fusionblade

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Nero's sword in DMC4 had an engine you could rev mid-swing to do more damage, even perform more advanced versions of your special attacks.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
whats the big deal? I have a sword with an engine on it in my garage.....its called a chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

Nero's sword in DMC4 had an engine you could rev mid-swing to do more damage, even perform more advanced versions of your special attacks.

Yeah I was just about to say. It even had the FF8 gunblade timing basically.

You know how in FF8 Squall does more damage if you tap R1 at the right time? In DMC4 if you tap R2 at the right time you get a Heat Gauge. It made your next attack do more damage and in the case of certain moves completely changed them.

You could also just hold R2 out of battle to rev it up and get Heat.