Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Skarsnik posted:

Honestly if you've found this tour boring, and consider cycling 'ruined', I feel really sorry for you

I'm just going to keep enjoying the spectacle of the whole thing thanks

I don't think it's a stretch to say it was the least memorable tour of the last ten years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I guess that's why no one has been talking about it much :rolleyes:

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

People also talk about things when they're bad instead of good? Weird. I guess you could make the argument that it was memorable in how marginal it was.

The only way this storyline could get more boring is if next year Froome hands the crown off to Porte.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pimp Cauldron posted:

People also talk about things when they're bad instead of good? Weird

Uh huh

Except you said memorable

Try a bit harder to find something to complain about next time yeah?

I'll just carry on enjoying the cycling if that's ok with you

:nice edit there..

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 27, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pimp Cauldron posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say it was the least memorable tour of the last ten years or so.

This years shat all loving over last years. At least there was an attempt at a competition. Last year was just Nibali ripping the piss out of Bardet and Pinot and cycling away from them at will.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I loved how the French commentators expecting the boys in blue to contest the podium were genuinely surprised when they got dropped almost immediately every drat day there was a climb.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Pimp Cauldron posted:

You think this tour was worse to watch than 2012? The first week alone was more exciting than that entire race. Hell, one stage of this first week was better than that race.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Perhaps stage racing isn't the right sort of competition for some of you to watch. I watched all three tours last year and both the Giro and Tour this year and they've all been worth watching. I'd seen stages of previous TdFs before that, and it's always been interesting on some level.

Stick to the classics season if that's more your thing, perhaps?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pimp Cauldron posted:

The only way this storyline could get more boring is if next year Froome hands the crown off to Porte.

Which he wont because Lol BMC.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

Skarsnik posted:

Uh huh

Except you said memorable

Try a bit harder to find something to complain about next time yeah?

I'll just carry on enjoying the cycling if that's ok with you

:nice edit there..

I am sorry I have a nuanced opinion about a bicycle race.

VacaGrande posted:

You think this tour was worse to watch than 2012? The first week alone was more exciting than that entire race. Hell, one stage of this first week was better than that race.

I honestly don't remember much of that year so you might be right.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah I guess that's why no one has been talking about it much :rolleyes:

Attendance was way down too. Only British Freds care about the Tour now lol

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Xir posted:

Perhaps stage racing isn't the right sort of competition for some of you to watch. I watched all three tours last year and both the Giro and Tour this year and they've all been worth watching. I'd seen stages of previous TdFs before that, and it's always been interesting on some level.

Stick to the classics season if that's more your thing, perhaps?

I'd unironically rather watch every Indurain Giro and Tour again than most of the grand tours from 2012 on.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what happens now

do we just keep bickering and clenching our buttholes until cyclocross season

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I dunno, the last two Vuelta's have been pretty great. Mostly because riders show up trying to salvage a season or simply don't give a gently caress by that point, you get a much less controlled race.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what happens now

Well the Classica San Sebastian is on Saturday, the Tour of Poland (World Tour race) starts on Sunday, the Tour of Utah starts on Monday, and the Vuelta a Burgos and the Post Danmark Rundt both start on Tuesday. After that it's the Eneco tour and then it's basically time for the Vuelta and Worlds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what happens now

We wait to see if the anti-doping techs have made any advances this year, then share a good hearty laugh because they haven't got a hope. Then we watch and bitch about the next race and everyone watching it.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Watch weird derny racing videos. It's a nice palate cleanser.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Jamsque posted:

Well the Classica San Sebastian is on Saturday, the Tour of Poland (World Tour race) starts on Sunday, the Tour of Utah starts on Monday, and the Vuelta a Burgos and the Post Danmark Rundt both start on Tuesday. After that it's the Eneco tour and then it's basically time for the Vuelta and Worlds.

And there is a race in Colorado :viggo:

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
Let's all analyze and debate the fixed criterium races happening this week in Europe!!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Iron Beagle posted:

Let's all analyze and debate the fixed criterium races happening this week in Europe!!

https://twitter.com/KlaasVdSchueren/status/625760161345466368

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jamsque posted:

whoa thats a lot of bikes

i poked around the info for some of these races and i think my new favorite team name comes from the Tour of Utah: Team Budget Forklifts

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what happens now

Only until the vuelta!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

I loved how the French commentators expecting the boys in blue to contest the podium were genuinely surprised when they got dropped almost immediately every drat day there was a climb.

Well given the cameras would never move away from them, there wasn't much else for them to talk about.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Wonder if poland will have crazy weather like last year.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Some great GoPro clips of the TdF in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gXpuNR0Pc

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
i dont even know why porte would want to go to BMC or why BMC would want him. guess that means it makes perfect sense.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Box Hill Strangler posted:

i dont even know why porte would want to go to BMC or why BMC would want him. guess that means it makes perfect sense.

Porte because Money and BMC because BMC be BMC

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
BMC love inconsistent riders and clearly want to replace Cadel. Dennis won't do because he seems to be good at winning.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYey3PI3gqM

to give us something else to talk about, here's a video.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

do teams have multiple lineups, or is the whole of BMC moving on to the Tour of Utah a week after the Tour de France ends? Only a week to jump eight timezones and recover from a three week tour sounds brutal.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

do teams have multiple lineups, or is the whole of BMC moving on to the Tour of Utah a week after the Tour de France ends? Only a week to jump eight timezones and recover from a three week tour sounds brutal.

Multiple line ups.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
World Tour rosters tend to be in the 25-30 rider range, Pro Continental teams have fewer.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
yeah you often have a single team doing multiple overlapping events.

Doesnt the ToC still directly clash with the giro? in fact didnt they move it into a clash? always seemed dumb to me but wtf do i know (not much)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Doesnt the ToC still directly clash with the giro? in fact didnt they move it into a clash? always seemed dumb to me but wtf do i know (not much)

Giro is too hard for TdF prep for the real contendors (see: A. Contador), so Tour of California is trying to slide into the slot of 'warm up race' for the tour (which we all know is really the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Article in the NYTimes about a new drug on the market that affects red blood cell counts and how it can increase EPO in the body. Says someone has been caught using it in cycling even though it's only in the research phase right now of production.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/s...earch.html?_r=0

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Contador apparently done for the season due to illness

https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/626321696304271360

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Hawkline posted:

Contador apparently done for the season due to illness

https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/626321696304271360

Perhaps racing the Giro, Route de Sud, and then the Tour was a little too much.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

It's actually in a better spot now relative to where it was before despite the clash with the Giro, when it was in February the big teams just treated it as a warm weather pre-season training camp and the racing was not very serious for non-American squads.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Also, February made large swaths of the state dodgy for a race because of the risk of snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
http://www.alpsandes.com/posts/2015/7/26/threats-and-the-end-of-a-dream-juan-pablo-villegas-speaks-out-about-being-forced-to-retire

Really depressing take on the state of omerta in colombian cycling. I hadnt heard of this guy before, but apparently he's being forced to retire after numerous threats after he spoke openly about drug use in the Colombian ranks. Makes you wonder about Nairo, honestly. He's such a likeable guy but the picture painted here is not good.