Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Can someone please explain the point of the Moon Dust bomb? I've never seen any discernible effect using it on creatures that are supposedly vulnerable to it.
Hit a specter with it and as long as the duration lasts, they'll always take full damage as if they were affected by Yrden. Vampires also can't go invisible and zip around with it on. Its really, really useful against those guys if you're not Sign-heavy because you can just wail on your enemies without worrying about some of their biggest gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Hit a specter with it and as long as the duration lasts, they'll always take full damage as if they were affected by Yrden. Vampires also can't go invisible and zip around with it on. Its really, really useful against those guys if you're not Sign-heavy because you can just wail on your enemies without worrying about some of their biggest gimmicks.

Problem is they just move out of the effect area. Does it still work if they're caught it it momentarily?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Burns posted:

Problem is they just move out of the effect area. Does it still work if they're caught it it momentarily?

You can have a few yrden fields out at once so just put them down and start positioning yourself with the sign in between you and the monster, they will come through towards you more often than not, they have a pretty generous application range and are 'sticky' to enemies leaving them.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Burns posted:

Moon dust bombs tag monsters, dimeritium bombs are the ones that persist over time. You can tell if monsters have been tagged because they have sparkle effect.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Pretty sure so, yeah. I know the Superior version is 100% permanent on the enemies and is completely independent of the cloud. I thought I remembered the others acting the same way, though the effect wears off.

e: And yeah, Dimeritium Bombs are the ones that basically seem worse than useless because the enemies just leave the area and going in after them disables your Signs, soo...

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I loaded the game for the first time since the patch. Suddenly my load times are incredibly long, where I hardly noticed them before. Anyone else experience this?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

Writing, voice acting, graphics, animation, music, directing, quest design.
Yeah, the writing, dialogues and stories alone are better than anything I've experienced in RPGs. The stories have actual teeth and depth to them, they deal with issues and emotions that are very rarely seen in the medium.

When the Blood Baron was forced to cradle in his arms the creature that his miscarriaged baby has become, whose death he was responsible for I had to sit back for a moment to realize I haven't seen this kind of emotional situation in a game before. And how amazingly the devs pulled this whole thing off, how well it was directed, how realistic Baron's emotional spectrum was to the point that you believe that he's a real person. Maybe last time I saw a smilarly straining thing like this was in an arthouse movie. And Blood Baron was a monster, he was at fault in the whole thing but was put in a position where I felt conflicting emotions towards the purgatory he was going through. And then the rest of this quest happened that developed the situation even further painting a full family picture, striking even more realistic heart breaking strings.

I have nothing but utter respect for the writers in this game. There are more guts in this game's side quests and their execution than in whole main stories of its competition. Of course I realize that this doesn't have to be other people's thing but it's something I've been dying to see in RPGs for years and I've only seen glimpses of in single quests in other titles.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Surprise new DLC

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yes!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Can someone give me a link to the funny bits (drunken escapades, trolls, etc.) in English? I don't feel like replaying the game just to hear the difference.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

Can someone give me a link to the funny bits (drunken escapades, trolls, etc.) in English? I don't feel like replaying the game just to hear the difference.

spoilers if you haven't done these quests, no clickie

Trollolol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aecBrTN78

Drinking with Witcher bros - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ravenfood posted:

Blow up the nest but don't loot everything in it. Come back in about a second and the contents will have refilled. Repeat endlessly as needed.

It's easier than that. All that you need to do to get the contents refilled is move the nest out of frame. Literally do a 360 degree look around and the nest refills. No need to move Geralt at all.

You still have to NOT take everything. Just take the two or three actually rare or expensive things.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

spoilers if you haven't done these quests, no clickie

Trollolol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3aecBrTN78

Drinking with Witcher bros - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-fDIgiVlQ

I've finished the game already, though I didn't do all the quests. I should be able to follow the realted videos to find other scenes I want to watch, thanks!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Yeah, the writing, dialogues and stories alone are better than anything I've experienced in RPGs. The stories have actual teeth and depth to them, they deal with issues and emotions that are very rarely seen in the medium.

When the Blood Baron was forced to cradle in his arms the creature that his miscarriaged baby has become, whose death he was responsible for I had to sit back for a moment to realize I haven't seen this kind of emotional situation in a game before. And how amazingly the devs pulled this whole thing off, how well it was directed, how realistic Baron's emotional spectrum was to the point that you believe that he's a real person. Maybe last time I saw a smilarly straining thing like this was in an arthouse movie. And Blood Baron was a monster, he was at fault in the whole thing but was put in a position where I felt conflicting emotions towards the purgatory he was going through. And then the rest of this quest happened that developed the situation even further painting a full family picture, striking even more realistic heart breaking strings.

I have nothing but utter respect for the writers in this game. There are more guts in this game's side quests and their execution than in whole main stories of its competition. Of course I realize that this doesn't have to be other people's thing but it's something I've been dying to see in RPGs for years and I've only seen glimpses of in single quests in other titles.

What's crazy is that that's not even the end of it at that point in the game, you are indeed lead to believe that beat his pregnant wife until she miscarried. But later on you find out that, while yes, he was a horrible person, a horrible drunk, and did beat his wife, she actually asked the Crones for an abortion.

For me one of the most moving moments was [Isle of Mists] when Geralt find Ciri, and he thinks she's dead. And for basically the first time in the entire franchise, you see Geralt afraid. He doesn't want to take another step. And then, even though he knows it's her, when he turns her over and sees her face you can see that last little piece of hope that somehow it wasn't her break inside him. But then when she comes back to life, out of nowhere it cuts to a flashback of him finding her as a small child and them running into each others arms and while this entire sequence has every reason to be cheesy and heavy handed, it works beautifully. Even in a good looking game with decently pretty cutscenes, that level of cinematography is unparalleled in video games. The Last of Us comes close, (and is probably better on the whole), But that scene couldn't have been done better in a feature film with a big name director.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man I'm only in the first area but the characters and quests are legitimately compelling! I'm really impressed.

Never got into TW2 but man this is a fabulous game.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Is there any reason other than just pure curiosity that people are doing the nest bug? I'm level 12 or something on my latest playthrough and I'm lugging around 5k+ without any effort or bug usage at all.

Also, I'm finding WAAAAAYYYYY more rune stones than I recall. Did this get buffed in a patch?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ice Fist posted:

Is there any reason other than just pure curiosity that people are doing the nest bug? I'm level 12 or something on my latest playthrough and I'm lugging around 5k+ without any effort or bug usage at all.

Also, I'm finding WAAAAAYYYYY more rune stones than I recall. Did this get buffed in a patch?
I cant comment on finding more Runestones, but I would abuse the nest bug simply to get more Nekker Hearts/bear asses/other rare alchemy/crafting component. I'm level 7 in my new playthrough and have like 3k already.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Mostly Nekker hearts. Them fucks are a pain in the rear end to collect.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ravenfood posted:

Mostly Nekker hearts. Them fucks are a pain in the rear end to collect.

Yeah. (almost) Never drop outside of nests, and you need upwards of 10 of them or so.

The other thing is to get ruby rings and solve any early-game liquidity issues. You could also collect skulls, but there's no crafting diagram for a throne so it's less useful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. (almost) Never drop outside of nests, and you need upwards of 10 of them or so.

The other thing is to get ruby rings and solve any early-game liquidity issues. You could also collect skulls, but there's no crafting diagram for a throne so it's less useful.
Now I know what DLC I would next like to see.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

With regards to NG+, I'm curious about what exactly carries over in terms of arms and armor. Only what I have equipped? Whatever is in my inventory? What about what's in my stash? I wanna knowwwwwwww!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I can't interact with this dead guy at all for some reason. :negative: He's on one of the southern islands in Skellige. Has anyone else had this issue?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just chose to kill the spirit under the tree and I think I made a huge mistake. I had already been spoiled a bit on what happens in that section but it really seems like the game wants you to free the spirit, ultimately. I figured freeing it would throw Velen into chaos, but now I'm having second thoughts after hearing that the Baron either leaves Velen or dies anyway, so either way his soldiers will wreak havoc on the peasants from the sounds of it. I'm also curious, does anyone know how it presents Geralt figuring out Anna is Gran if you don't meet the Baron until after you have already visited Crookback Bog the first time?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Neither option is great so don't feel too bad about it. Your choices are basically either kill Anne and the village that worshiped the crones or leave the kids with the crones.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OAquinas posted:

Ok, this actually makes sense. I thought CDPR had fixed over reliance on rare materials in recipes like Ekimmara hides. :iiam:

But I don't even understand the concept of early game liquidity issues. I was able to buy all the Temarian armor and make the Viper school swords in this playthrough without breaking a sweat. Kill monsters. Kill bad guys. Sell lovely swords and armor, monster butts to the right vendors and there you have it, enough cash to buy or make anything you'd need.

In fact, I think the hardest thing to get is the pair of emerald dusts you need for the viper school gear and purchasing that can be a pain, but nothing a handful of drowner brains won't fix.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sindai posted:

Neither option is great so don't feel too bad about it. Your choices are basically either kill Anne and the village that worshiped the crones or leave the kids with the crones.

If you basically sequence break it and do the tree thing before getting the quest to go to the bog, you can actually get both good outcomes iirc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CJacobs posted:

If you basically sequence break it and do the tree thing before getting the quest to go to the bog, you can actually get both good outcomes.
Does the spirit still destroy the town if you do this?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm fairly certain, yeah, but they were jerks anyway :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but my understanding is that Family Matters gets the better ending if you kill the tree spirit. If you do this, the Bloody Baron's wife (Anna?) lives, and he swears to do whatever it takes to rehabilitate her and they leave to go do that. If you let the tree spirit out it kills the wife and Bloody Baron hangs himself.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

10 Beers posted:

With regards to NG+, I'm curious about what exactly carries over in terms of arms and armor. Only what I have equipped? Whatever is in my inventory? What about what's in my stash? I wanna knowwwwwwww!

From https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3f0n2b/can_we_sticky_a_post_on_what_ng_does/

quote:

Equipment in inventory (weapons, armor including Witcher Gear)? - YES
Items in Stash? - Unknown but we assume the more general rules that apply to inventory also apply to stash.
Crafted alchemy items - YES
Consumables (food, drink) - NO
Alchemy crafting components in inventory - YES
Recipes/Schematics you have already found - YES
Book and letters - NO
Monster Trophies - NO
Quest Items - NO (these are things like Kiera's Lamp)
Money - YES
Gwent Cards - NO

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Snak posted:

Yeah, but my understanding is that Family Matters gets the better ending if you kill the tree spirit. If you do this, the Bloody Baron's wife (Anna?) lives, and he swears to do whatever it takes to rehabilitate her and they leave to go do that. If you let the tree spirit out it kills the wife and Bloody Baron hangs himself.
Yes but:

CJacobs posted:

If you basically sequence break it and do the tree thing before getting the quest to go to the bog, you can actually get both good outcomes iirc.

This means you can free the spirit (which frees the children and destroys the village) then visit the Crones, take the Baron there, and he takes her to try to get her healed. This means the children do not get eaten and Anna and Phillip live.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Snak posted:

But from what I hear, you don't get to kill the Crones in the path I've now locked myself into.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

But from what I hear, you don't get to kill the Crones in the path I've now locked myself into.
Nah the quest doesn't affect that.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
The fact that you can sequence break some quests and the game will acknowledge it and progress coherently is one of the things that impresses me the most.

Like, for instance, when I arrived at Spikeroog looking for Cerys, a couple villagers were talking about her, so I tried interacting with them and indeed, Geralt can ask them about her whereabouts. Then, when I actually talked to the jarl and the game told me to go ask around the village, Geralt muttered something like "Maybe I asked the wrong people?" and the quest marker updated to point me towards the correct NPC.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

Nah the quest doesn't affect that.

Oh, alright, I guess the results are more mixed then. I mean, I still feel bad about those delicious children, but I feel less like I definitively screwed up, at least.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 30, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bort Bortles posted:

Does the spirit still destroy the town if you do this?

Spirit/Crones Sequence break spoiler:
Did Keira first (:pervert:) to learn about the Crones. Then I did the Tree->Crones-->Baron storyline in that order. The tree spirit claims the villagers were trying to kill it on the Crone's orders, and that it wasn't directly at fault for the hill full of corpses since "nature's gotta nature." So I freed it. No immediate fallout. Went to the Crones and they had me go to the village and "see to their needs" and then I tell the village elder that "the problem has been dealt with." He nicks off his ear and I go back to the Crones and they are satisfied.

Then I do the Baron questline and Geralt makes the mental leap that Gran = Anna, somehow. When we do the "Return" quest the village is wiped out by ThunderHorse. The kids are not present when the party finds Anna, but their fate is never clarified. No notice at the school that they were rescued, no mention of eating them, nada. Anna is alive but mentally broken.

So the summary:
Baron: Alive
Anna: Alive, goes with Baron to mountains
Kids: ??? Maybe alive? (Ha ha, it's The Witcher - they're totes dead)
Downwarren: Slaughtered
Crones (ultimately): Julienne'd

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Spirit/Crones Sequence break spoiler:
Did Keira first (:pervert:) to learn about the Crones. Then I did the Tree->Crones-->Baron storyline in that order. The tree spirit claims the villagers were trying to kill it on the Crone's orders, and that it wasn't directly at fault for the hill full of corpses since "nature's gotta nature." So I freed it. No immediate fallout. Went to the Crones and they had me go to the village and "see to their needs" and then I tell the village elder that "the problem has been dealt with." He nicks off his ear and I go back to the Crones and they are satisfied.

Then I do the Baron questline and Geralt makes the mental leap that Gran = Anna, somehow. When we do the "Return" quest the village is wiped out by ThunderHorse. The kids are not present when the party finds Anna, but their fate is never clarified. No notice at the school that they were rescued, no mention of eating them, nada. Anna is alive but mentally broken.

So the summary:
Baron: Alive
Anna: Alive, goes with Baron to mountains
Kids: ??? Maybe alive? (Ha ha, it's The Witcher - they're totes dead)
Downwarren: Slaughtered
Crones (ultimately): Julienne'd

If you sequence break how does Geralt even know what children and crones the spirit is talking about?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Anna is alive but mentally broken.
This seems like a bug. There's no reason for the crones not to punish her anyway.

Unless she does something to betray them more directly if you talk to her first?
I can't remember.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 30, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Beeez posted:

If you sequence break how does Geralt even know what children and crones the spirit is talking about?

The kids actually never comes up in conversation with it. The Crones were referred to but just in the sense that they imprisoned it, and were trying to get the villagers to kill it.

Sindai posted:

This seems like a bug. There's no reason for the crones not to punish her anyway.

Unless she does something to betray them more directly if you talk to her first?
I can't remember.

I'm under the impression that if you free the spirit after talking to the Crones, they turn Anna into a Hag to punish you. Otherwise, Anna always has a simple mental breakdown due to the trauma from the Baron, the miscarriage/abortion, losing the kids (however it occurs), and the service to the Crones. It's not magic, it's just too much to bear.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bort Bortles posted:

This means you can free the spirit (which frees the children and destroys the village) then visit the Crones, take the Baron there, and he takes her to try to get her healed. This means the children do not get eaten and Anna and Phillip live.
Yeah, I did it like this and it works exactly like that.